PDA

View Full Version : The wonderful world of Disney

ransam
08-05-2009, 02:16 PM
ok, this is my 300th post, so i wanted to make it a little special..
first of all i am 129 days from getting off an airplane (at just about this exact time)...getting on the Magical Express and beginning 10 wonderful days in my favorite place in the world. I can't wait to wake up the next day and walk down mainstreet.

But what i wanted to know in this thread is this.
we all know about the rides, attractions, magic, etc....i want to know aobut something a cast member or guest did in the park to add that special disney moment in your life. something you wouldn't expect outside disney.
here's a couple of mine.

In 2005 i went with my friend. We were at the ESPN Zone watching the kansas city chiefs beat up on the Raiders. after we left we walked around boardwalk and then made our way to the bus stop. unfortunatly the busses had stopped running, it was much later than we thought...we went inside to call a cab, and the lady at the front desk told us to hold on....10 minutes later a bus showed up and took us to our hotel. they didnt' have to do that..

we went to the resturant in Morroco. I had eaten about half my meal, including all my main course....i spilled my drink all over my dinner, and myself....the waiter immediately came over, and cleaned up the table, took my meal away, and brought me not only a complete dinner BUT he brought me a brand new shirt to wear since mine was soaked.

and finally. in 2007 i went w/ my sister and friend. we had just landed and gotten to our resort. got to my room and unpacked, and reached in my coat and my wallet was gone...i was freaked...retraced my steps, nothing. about an hour later a guest service came up and gave me my wallet...another guest found it...gave it to an employee, who gave it to the front desk, who gave it to a guest service guy to give to me....so 4 differnt people handled my wallet, and not a dime was missing....it would have been really easy not to return it, snuck some money out and blamed the other person...but no.

anyway... what are some of your stories about people and how they are always better at disney than they are not at disney.

Spread the disney magic!

bretski99
08-05-2009, 04:21 PM
I know Disneyland is not the same as Disneyworld, but it's a good story nontheless.

In 2001 we went to DL and CA (right after CA first opened). The whole week, my then-6-year-old wanted to see Buzz Lightyear (it's the only character he wanted to see). We missed Buzz a couple times, then got busy doing other things during the week, and forgot about it. On the last night, he started crying because he hadn't seen Buzz lightyear. Both my sons (6 and 3) had been gems all week long, not complaining about anything, and I felt really bad for my oldest, especially being as good as he was. In fact, my oldest was sick and had to be taken to the hospital there, but still was wanting to go in a do a few rides (with a 103 temp) and never once cried or complained. So we tried to get something for him. We went to the guest relations booth and they made a big deal out of a signed pic of Woody and Buzz, and he tried to be happy but you could tell he was upset.

The next morning we were packing, and I said to my wife "I wonder if guest relations would let us at least TRY to find Buzz this morning". Unfortunately, our passes were over with and we had no way to get into the park, except by someone giving us a break. My wife called Guest Relations, and they went to work. They gcalled back within 10 minutes and said they had 3 2-hour pass (for my and the boys) waiting at will call, and told us where to go to get help finding the character. We grabbed the passes, and headed off into the park for what ended up being a 2 hour adventure. The man at the information booth heard our story, and immediately got on his Walkie Talkie. He stayed with us as went back and forth across the park to where he was being told Buzz was, but no luck. With time running out and our departure time getting closer, we finally found Buzz, in tomorrowland - and there was a HUGE line of kids to see him. Waiting in line would taken us well past the time we needed to leave.

The cast member, not missing a beat, said, "Mr. Lightyear, these are the special guests we told you about" (probably some kind of Disneyspeak). Buzz played it up good too, posing with the kids and basically making my son's entire trip. We snapped our pics and got on the plane. I wish I had a digital version of it handy.

Anyway, that's my story.

Daisy'sMom
08-05-2009, 04:58 PM
About 15 years ago, we were sitting in the World Showcase near Germany when I noticed my brand new 35mm camera(remember the good ole days) was missing. I was so upset. DH decided we should retrace our steps and with no luck, I accepted the fact that I had lost it. I stopped in the stores in England, and found a cast member taking my camera out of it's carrying case and looking at it. I screamed for joy. She told me someone had found it on a bench and brought it to her. I was so moved. That camera cost several hundreds of dollars and someone was such a nice person.......It had to be the Disney magic.:mickey:

KAT1811
08-06-2009, 08:28 AM
FOr me it's the small things that mean so much in WDW. The little things that people just don't do anymore.

One year Genie chased my oldest DD (she was our only at the time), my mother, and I out of 1900 Park Fare. HE was actually running if you can picture it!!! We were on a girls trip! :cloud9: He had a rose in his hand (I'm fairly sure he pulled it from one of the arrangements). Then he got down on one knee and handed it to my DD. She couldn't have been all but 3. We were all beside ourselves. It actually brought tears to my eyes. There were tons of children and he picked her out of everyone.

On another vacation we were headed to the MK for an ADR at Crystal Palace. A second to the castle because back then I was unaware of the telethon speed dialing needed to get the reservations! LOL! We started takling to the family in front of us on the bus and they were headed to the castle for breakfast. We were SO amazed that they had reservations (that was the moment I learned about the speed dialing and I haven't missed a try since ;)). They said that they were traveling with another family and had reservations for later on in the week as well. The other family had decided not to go that particular day. So . . . they invited us to join them for breakfast! Complete strangers!!! We very gratiously accepted and DD was on top of the world! We met them at the restaurant, had a fabulous breakfast together, and then we picked up the tab for all of us as a thank you for including us and making DDs vacation!

Now we have 4 children and on occasion I have taken the little ones back to the resort early if they just can't go anymore. Well, on this particular evening I took our two youngest DDs back to the resort alone while everyone else stayed for dinner at Mama Melrose's. We had ordered and they were just not having any of it. So the waiter packed our food to go and we took off "home". So when I got to the bus I had the double stroller, an almost 3 year old, a 10 month old, the diaper bag, and all the food for us to eat back at our room. Try getting on the bus carrying all that "stuff" and a 10 month old baby while leading the almost 3 year old by the hand. I'm really good but this was tough. So when we get up to the door a bunch of people get off the bus to help us. One man took the stroller for me, another took my bags, a woman even got off and took DD by the hand and helped her on the bus. I was moved almost to tears. When we got back to the resort the whole procession repeated itself. The stroller was set up, our bags placed underneath, and DD helped back off the bus while I held DD 10 months.

These are some of the many reasons I LOVE Walt Disney World!!! Some people just don't understand the magic but I do!

LoriSan
08-06-2009, 10:09 AM
let me say that I love this post :mickey:

My DS is OBSESSED with trains. So much that he'd rather be playing with his trains in the resort room then be at the parks. :confused: I know, strange kid.

Anyway, we had dinner at LTT a few years ago, when he was 3. He wasn't interested in the food, but he was interested in playing with the few trains that we brought along. Well, along come the characters. Chip (or was it Dale??) actually sat with my DS for about 10 minutes and played with is trains with him. It was the sweetest thing, and he still talks about playing trains at DW with Chip (or Dale)

TheVBs
08-06-2009, 12:21 PM
What a great topic! These stories actually have me all choked up right now. :blush:

On our last trip we met Capt. Hook and Mr. Smee on our first day in the MK. Capt. Hook refused to sign DD4's Tinker Bell autograph book and actually swiped it. DD8 rescued it and got Hook to sign it by saying please. It was a big to do that the girls loved. Well, DD4 wanted to tell the story to every character she met after that and every single one of them patiently and enthusiastically listened to the whole thing! This resulted in a group hug in Pixie Hollow and when she told Peter Pan she had to tell him a story about Hook, he sat right down on the ground, patted the ground in front of him and said "Tell me about it!" We will never forget those moments.

ransam
08-06-2009, 07:08 PM
two more...
one is not really a special moment, just kind of funny.

last christmas my sister and i went and she carried aound one of those pal mickey's....Yes she's 40, but it was cute. One of our favorite characters is Donald...she went up to get her picture w/ him and he just looked at her and turned away.. my sister was kind of shocked until he quckly turned around and kind of flicked the pal mickey around her neck...the character chaperone just laughed and said Donald doesn't like to take his picture w/ anyone carrying a mickey doll..sometimes not even w/ someone wearing a mickey shirt. so my sister quickly handed it to me, and Donald hugged her and they took a great picture.

the second story is kind of cool.
my mom and dad adopted a little boy many years ago. he was 3 when he was adopted. i was 24 at the time... when he turned 5 i took him to Disney for the first time. At first he wouldn't go on any rides or anything. Finally i got him on Small world. after that it was non-stop rides, shows, running around. at the end of the night i told him we could go on one ride, and he picked small world. so we get in the boat and as soon as it gets close to the tunnel, he grabs my hand and starts belting out the song as loud as a 5 year old can sing...there were two teen age girls in front of us, and they turned and smiled and they started singing..eventually the whole boat was singing along in english w/ what ever language was playing on the ride. it was really cool how everyone jumped in and cool how what ever language it was sung in, it all worked.

MickeyandTink
08-07-2009, 12:40 PM
On our first family trip two years ago, we had bought a Pal Mickey :mickey: for our then 6 year old DD as an early birthday present to use on the trip. About 3 days in, we were riding Star Tours and put Mickey under the seat as instructed. After the ride was over we left and about 5 minutes later realized we had left Mickey .
Our DD was in tears and we ran back to look for him. :sob: Several Cast members were very helpful, but we were unable to locate him. They sent us to lost and found to see if he might be there.

They did not have him, but after taking some information from us and going back to talk to a few CM's at the ride, one of the mangers came over and presented DD with a brand new PM. It really made our trip and helped convince us WDW is where we need to keep coming for our vacation.