PDA

View Full Version : Primeval Whirl??

Dsnygirl
08-05-2009, 05:08 AM
So, I've always heard this ride called "primeval hurl"... and I've tended to agree w/ the assessment, just watching it!!

But, this past wknd we went to a local amusement park, and they have a new ride called the WhirlWind, which I think operates very similarly to PW. (Rollercoaster w/ free-turning cars)

Well, I got up my nerve after watching it a few times and went on -- and LOVED it! I am SO not a "spinning ride" kind of person, but the cars on this coaster didn't spin continuously, and when they did, it was maybe a spin around once or twice, not super fast, as you rounded a corner or went down a hill/curve... but then they straightened out for a couple of seconds before spinning again. (Well, on our third or fourth time on, my friends rode it in a different seating position than they had been, and they spun all the time, so I guess it also has to do with weight distribution.)

So -- my question to you guys who ride it and love it -- do the cars spin all the time, and like the Teacups, or is it milder and only occassionally?? I'd really like to like this ride, as my girls are dying to try it in October, and if it's like the ride here, I'll happily join them.

But, if it's more of a continuous spin as you go around, then it would be more of a "primeval hurl" ride for me, and I'll avoid it. ;)

Thanks for the input!!

DisneyFr33k
08-05-2009, 06:07 AM
My family's vote: "Primeval HURL" :sick:

I'm not a spinning ride person, but my DD (11) and DH will ride any thrill ride made and love the teacups. They even came off PW saying "I'm glad that is over". It didn't help that we had just eaten lunch, so if you try it, go before eating.

For us, it spun erratically the whole time. Very disorienting. We won't go on that one again.

GAN
08-05-2009, 06:44 AM
It spins on some of the turns. The last time I rode it(last year), I thought they may have tamed it a little bit -it didn't spin as much as I remember. Still walked off thinking that I'd had enough -does anyone ride it more than once?

LauraByTheSea
08-05-2009, 08:11 AM
I can almost agree with the "primeval hurl", because boy does it spin, but I still love it!

grumpyguy
08-05-2009, 08:18 AM
i like it,to me a ride like that seems so simple and no frills.no fancy preshow just get in and go!!!

magicofdisney
08-05-2009, 08:25 AM
It's never spun too much for me.

My daughters will ride it continuously if I allowed them. I think they've ridden twice in a row.

That's about as long as I have the patience to stand and wait. I don't prefer to spend too much time in Dinoland.

azcavalier
08-05-2009, 08:34 AM
Not as bad as the teacups. I think that how much it spins depends on the car, the weight distribution in the car, etc, etc. I've been in some that did spin a lot, others that didn't. My family really likes this ride, and the whole Dinoland play area in general. Of course, we have smaller children.

bretski99
08-05-2009, 09:39 AM
"Primeval hurl" for sure. The ride also reminds me of those cheap carnival rdes that come through town every so often, and looks out of place (by Disney standards).

johnO
08-05-2009, 10:01 AM
This thing is absolutely out of place at WDW. It's a copy of a carnival ride know as the "Crazy Mouse" that has been around for years. No imagineering done on this one folks.

5togetherWDW
08-05-2009, 10:20 AM
My sons and I enjoy this ride and have ridden it many times -- including multiple times in a row when there were shorter lines. A couple weeks ago we rode it in the rain -- it seemed to spin less that day, but then, they were running fewer cars and were preparing to stop for the incomming electrical storm.
Personally, I enjoy the spinning, and actually wish it would spin more -- there are many sections with little to no spin, spin mostly occuring on the corners.
On the other hand, the cornering is jerking / sharp. I have one loved one who gets terrible neck pain from it, and is unable to enjoy the ride -- despite doing and enjoying other coasters, inc. Expedition Everest, and teacups. For him it is the sudden stop and go of the spin that bothers . . . .. Still, none in our family find the ride nauseating.

jusandnew
08-05-2009, 10:36 AM
I do not like it. It spins and it is like a roller coaster. I can deal with the coaster , but the spinning is not my thing. The jerking on the corners is hard.

If two adults sit in a car it is very crowded.
My children likes it.

DisneyOtaku
08-05-2009, 10:39 AM
Sometimes I feel like my family and I are the only ones who love this ride--and the youngest member of our troop just turned 20!

It doesn't constantly spin, but it does in certain parts. The amount of spinning usually has to do with weight distribution, I believe.

The rest of Chester and Hester's Dino-Rama can go...just leave me Primeval Whirl! :mickey:

bruin1344
08-05-2009, 01:07 PM
not fan of it because it reminds of crummy local carnival ride, not nearly as nauseating as tea cups, if you are skinny, avoid sitting next to a real obese person or else you will be sore afterward (experience happened to me)

Maleficent_vf
08-05-2009, 01:21 PM
I"ve never done PW, but I've ridden tea cups and didn't find it disorienting because you can control the amount of spin by using the wheel in the center of the cup. Is this possible on PW? :confused:

joonyer
08-05-2009, 01:40 PM
Yes, it's basically a copy of a "Wild Mouse" ride from local or carnival type parks, but my family still thinks it's a lot of fun. The cars don't release to spin until part of the way around the track, and then they don't spin continuously. It's more of a random thing depending on weight distribution and relative motion. WE don't go out of our way to ride it, but we make point not to pass it by when we're in that part of AK. We think its a lot of fun.

That being said, we just got back from a trip to Cedar Point where we rode top "Top Thrill Dragster" (120 mph in 4 secs. and 420 feet high) and "Millenium Force" (traditonal coaster that has 310 feet high lift hill and 90 mph speeds & over a mile long). After riding those, all other thrill rides, coasters, etc. will seem very tame in comparison.

jenperich
08-05-2009, 01:51 PM
My husband and I LOVE this ride. It is like a carnival ride, but it is in Chester & Hester's Dino-Rama which is just like a carnival. So, while it doesn't fit in with the rest of WDW, it does in fact fit in with it's surroudings(Dino-Rama).

DisneyFr33k
08-05-2009, 02:39 PM
I"ve never done PW, but I've ridden tea cups and didn't find it disorienting because you can control the amount of spin by using the wheel in the center of the cup. Is this possible on PW? :confused:

Not really. The roller coaster aspect keeps the spinning unpredictable because as you turn the spinning changes. I agree with previous posts, I think it is weight distribution. If I could have controlled it, I certainly would have. I just feel :sick: thinking about it!

kdsjjb
08-05-2009, 02:39 PM
The ride also reminds me of those cheap carnival rdes that come through town every so often, and looks out of place (by Disney standards).

This thing is absolutely out of place at WDW. It's a copy of a carnival ride know as the "Crazy Mouse" that has been around for years. No imagineering done on this one folks.

You guys should try reading the Imagineering Field Guide to DAK. If you get a feel for what they were trying to do, it fits in with the idea.
And whether it is out of place is irrelevant to the question.

And to the OP: We ride it at least once per trip to DAK, and I dont ever remember it spinning continuously. More like it whips around the corners and spins around a bit.

Goofy Texan
08-05-2009, 04:15 PM
I've been on PW and other rides like it many times. If you DON'T want to spin excessively, make sure two people of about the same weight are on opposite ends of the C shaped seat. Put the lighter riders in the middle.

If DO want to spin, heavily weight one side of the C.

This ride can be fun is you weight it according to your preference, and then don't overload the car so much that everyone is squished in.

Darbylew
08-05-2009, 07:43 PM
All my family loves this ride. I don't like to
spin. I read goofy texan explain how you can
keep from spinning but I know my family would
never not spin. I guess I will sit this one out. I
don't mind as I look in the gift shop near by and
have an ice cream while I wait. :mickey:
BEEN THERE, DONE THAT AND GOING BACK IN
NOVEMBER 2009. :D

Diamondback'09
08-05-2009, 11:39 PM
That being said, we just got back from a trip to Cedar Point where we rode top "Top Thrill Dragster" (120 mph in 4 secs. and 420 feet high) and "Millenium Force" (traditonal coaster that has 310 feet high lift hill and 90 mph speeds & over a mile long). After riding those, all other thrill rides, coasters, etc. will seem very tame in comparison.

I agree with you there. Primeval Whirl is still a great ride in my opinon. I too am not much of a Spinning Ride type myself but this is always fun to go on. In my opinion its much smoother than carnival "Crazy Mouse" coasters.

johnO
08-06-2009, 02:28 PM
You guys should try reading the Imagineering Field Guide to DAK. If you get a feel for what they were trying to do, it fits in with the idea.

Seems like the idea was to purposefully "imagineer" a low budget area and tell everyone that it was on purpose to mask the real intent of saving dollars on development while still charging you WDW prices, $79 a ticket, while only having to deliver carnival quality......