PDA

View Full Version : Free and fun things to do

terri110874
08-04-2009, 11:53 AM
What are some free and fun things that are available in WDW? Looking for some different this year on our trip in Sept

Disney Doll
08-04-2009, 12:32 PM
Hmm, not much free. On our off days we like to hang out at the resort pool, check out DTD (fun to window shop even if you don't buy), and check out some of the resorts we've never stayed at before. After visiting a couple of times we're staying at AKL for the 1st time this year. That's a fun resort to visit with all the animal viewing areas.

Imagineer1981
08-04-2009, 12:32 PM
FREE at WDW????????????????????????

Actually we love walking around DTD at night, just looking in the shops is a lot of fun

ThanxForNoticin
08-04-2009, 12:34 PM
Fun is easy. The FREE part is tougher!

Disney transportation (especially the boats and monorails) can always offer some free fun. We will sometimes take the monorail and stop at the resorts. The boat rides from DTD to OKW and/or PO are very nice. Free time walking around DTD can be nice.

There are a number of very nice walking spots:

Poly to Grand Floridian, OKW to DTD, BW/Swan/Dolphin to DHS, Ft Wilderness, etc

A trip to the AKL is a lot of fun, especially viewing the animals.

Movie-night opportunites at Ft Wilderness and BC.

These are a few ideas that come to mind. I hope it helps trigger some other ideas. Have a great trip!

WDWdriver
08-04-2009, 12:36 PM
Check out the campfire program at Fort Wilderness where you can roast marshmallows over a real campfire, have a meet & greet with Chip & Dale, join in a sing-a-long, and watch a Disney movie on the big outdoor screen. It's all free to Disney resort guests. Oh, except for the marshmallows. You have to pay for those or bring your own.

terri110874
08-04-2009, 06:26 PM
Does POR offer the campfire/ smores also? Though I saw info on that last Feb when I was there

missymouseworld
08-05-2009, 07:20 AM
We were there in April this past year and didn't see anything on a campfire/smores activity.

goofysbabe
08-05-2009, 07:29 AM
I've been keeping a list - here's a few go to WL and see Old Faithful , do the animation class @ HS, get a sticker hunt book at one of the shops in DTD and then collect the stickers.

sisterslovindisney
08-05-2009, 07:41 AM
Here's a few - some I've done, some I've read about on here:
1. Visit the resorts
2. Search for hidden Mickeys
3. Talk to the CM's in the different countries at EPCOT
4. Search for paint brushes on Tom Sawyer Island
5. Spend an evening at the Boardwalk- lots of free entertainment
6. Take the boat from EPCOT to DHS
7. Visit the Lego store at DTD
8. Really explore your resort - talk to CM's - find out what special things they mind do there that guests don't always know about
9. People watch
10. Talk to strangers - you'll meet other Disney addicts like us!
11. Get on the first bus that arrives in the morning no matter where it's going.

tys_mommy
08-05-2009, 08:12 AM
get a sticker hunt book at one of the shops in DTD and then collect the stickers.

I've never heard of this, is it a special book similar to the passports at EPCOT where you travel from specific spots or it is just a normal sticker book that you can buy and then collect from various locations?????

johnO
08-05-2009, 10:08 AM
Resort Hopping is cool. It's nice to check out the other resorts and see what they have to offer.

poohbearkris
08-05-2009, 10:57 AM
The boat rides are always a nice and relaxing ride. Talking to some of the bus drivers is very informational. But I think my favorite is watching the electrical water pageant at night which is on the water by the Cont and Poly. It plays around like 9pm. I have not stayed at either recently, but after having dinner at Ohana's, have walked down to the beach and watched it. For me it brings back childhood memories of my first trip. :mickey:

Texas Tinkerbell Too
08-05-2009, 04:19 PM
Last November, we went back to Disney for a short, "non-tradional" slow paced visit.

We enjoyed playing at the OKW pool, playing on the beach at the Poly at night after eating at Kona, and the free entertainment at the Boardwalk. The DS10 and DS6 really enjoyed the street performers/magicians at the Boardwalk. We also road the surrey bikes at the Boardwalk. (This was not free)

The night we went to the Boardwalk we enjoyed the fireworks from Epcot. The night we went to the Poly we enjoyed the waterparade and the Wishes from MK. We only went to the parks 1 1/2 days: Epcot one day and MK for the Christmas party. (It was cheaper to buy the party ticket than a regular MK day pass, we road all the rides and we were able to enjoy free cookies and hot chocolate as well as all the shows)
One day we played at DTD. The boys LOVE the Lego store: building and racing cars, etc.
While we were at Epcot, we enjoyed a free candy scuplture from the candymaker in Japan.

The entire family really enjoyed this trip. So , yes ...there are some "free" and "fun" things to do at WDW. :mickey:

seavote
08-05-2009, 05:04 PM
i'll second some of these"
1:resort hopping(search for hidden mickeys while your there.
2:visit the leggo store DTD
3: see the electric water pagent
4: (for the kids)tell the attendent at the monorail you'd like to ride in the front of the monorail. you may have to wait a bit but my kids got monorail licenses to keep
5: get some bread from your meals and feed the various birds you'll find on the resort grounds

jillluvsdisney
08-05-2009, 05:15 PM
I think Disney frowns on feeding birds. I have seen signs asking people not to at Poly and Wilderness Lodge.

I enjoy the nightime atmosphere of DTD. During the day it's also fun to sit and watch kids playing in the water spouts near Once Upon A Toy. They water shoots up from spigots in the ground. It's a suprise when it happens and kids always shriek when they get wet.:mickey:

jillluvsdisney
08-05-2009, 05:17 PM
Two other great fun free things to do are in the lobby of the Grand Floridian. During the day, there may be a piano player in the lobby. In the evening, there's a small orchestra set up that plays. All music is Disney. Of course.:number1:

tlhewitt52
08-05-2009, 09:46 PM
Another free thing to do is Port Orleans Riverside as a guy "Piano Bob" that plays in their lounge for entertainment two or three nights a week. We caught him last time we were there it was a great show and our kids loved it great audience interaction. Check it out!

iheartdisney
08-05-2009, 10:10 PM
Resort hopping has my vote. Animal Kingdom Lodge is gorgeous on the inside and outside you can see the animals with CM's available to answer questions. The monorail resorts are fun to tour (especially during the holidays although, that doesn't help you this trip).

coneygoil
08-06-2009, 09:04 AM
I recommend resort hopping as well! It's like going to mini-theme parks. Most all the resorts are fun to walk around and take pics at. :thumbsup:

08-06-2009, 09:16 AM
But I think my favorite is watching the electrical water pageant at night which is on the water by the Cont and Poly. It plays around like 9pm.

10:25pm nightly, not 9.

buzznwoodysmom
08-06-2009, 10:09 AM
10:25pm nightly, not 9.

Unless things have changed I believe the water parade is at 9pm nightly. That's the time its been on all of our trips. Of course it does depend on which resort you are watching from. But it begins at the Poly at 9pm.

buzznwoodysmom
08-06-2009, 10:16 AM
Another free thing, although you have to have park admission to Epcot, is the Kim Possible adventure. My kids loved doing this. Also free at Epcot are the kidcot stations. My kids have always had tons of fun at Innoventions, and in the interactive play areas at the exits of Spaceship earth, Figment, and Mission space. Also at Epcot, watching the fountains "dance" to the music is a great free thing to watch. Trying different drinks at club cool, also at Epcot, is another fun free thing. And my kids have always loved running and playing on the lightup walkway at night at Epcot. Theres so much free stuff at Epcot!

tys_mommy
08-06-2009, 10:17 AM
Unless things have changed I believe the water parade is at 9pm nightly. That's the time its been on all of our trips. Of course it does depend on which resort you are watching from. But it begins at the Poly at 9pm.

Electric Water Pageant -
Polynesian -- 9:00 p.m.
Grand Floridian -- 9:15 p.m.
Wilderness Lodge -- 9:35 p.m.
Ft. Wilderness -- 9:45 p.m.
Contemporary -- 10:05 p.m.

tys_mommy
08-06-2009, 10:18 AM
Also free at Epcot are the kidcot stations.
Animal Kingdom has kidcot stations as well.

TheVBs
08-06-2009, 07:45 PM
Definitely lots of freebies for kids (don't know if you're going with kids) in Epcot! In World Showcase there are masks to color, paper charms to add to the masks, Future World has necklaces you can add charms to.

Animal Kingdom has the Kids' Discovery Club cards that you can get stamped.

And at the ASMu resort (not sure about the other resorts) they give out free balloons, stickers and sometimes buttons.

And, I think all the parks give out free buttons, like the ones that say 1st Visit, or Happy Birthday, etc.

In Epcot once, when we got off the Figment ride, we got a free photo of ourselves from the giant camera that's right at the exit.

disneykid99
08-07-2009, 04:05 PM
In Epcot: I think in innovations they have an exhibit that has a frog you can make and take home for free.

Also in Epcot: One year we were the first people to walk by the German pavilion. Our daughter was asked the wake up the trains by blowing a wooden whistle. She got to keep the whistle.

Pop Century gives buttons to people who participate in the "dances" ect. they do. My DD got one for doing the Hustle last Sept. Pop has lots of games and dances during the day. The cm’s seem very happy when someone joins them.:blush:

For kids: Last year our DS lost a tooth at Disney. I asked if the cm at the front desk if she had anything special I could do for him. She was gone a while and came back with a tooth box and special Tink pin. It was free and very special for our DS.:magic:

This is a great topic – thank you!!
:mickey: