PDA

View Full Version : Space Mountain?

antngoof89
08-04-2009, 02:53 AM
Anyone have any updates on what's going in Space Mountain lately? I've heard the track was being replaced but also that they may change the track into one ride instead. If anyone knows, please post!

Imagineer1981
08-04-2009, 11:30 AM
For the most part it is just general maintance and refurb to the track and support systems. From what my CM friend told me, the inside queue is being revamped to be better utilized and of course the operating computers/tech is being upgraded

jonasbrotherslvr15
08-04-2009, 11:49 AM
i heard that they are changing the effects, the track and they are putting in music, and maybe the cars!!:mickey:

antngoof89
08-04-2009, 12:29 PM
i heard that they are changing the effects, the track and they are putting in music, and maybe the cars!!:mickey:

I just hope it still feels like a coaster after all this is done, I just don't know why it would take ten months to revamp stuff that Disney can finish in a couple months time. There has to be something big going on in there that they're hiding.

vws_and_disney
08-04-2009, 02:06 PM
i also heard the que was getting a make-over and the cars may be getting upgraded. the one thing you can rely on is that disney wont let us down. especially since SM is a must do ride in MK

RBrooksC
08-04-2009, 02:38 PM
I have heard rumors of many things. But the things that I have heard that seem set in stone is some track refurbishment, upgrades on the computers, and a queue improvement, with a covering going over the loading area queue. This would allow better lighting in the queue and keep light from bleeding into the ride area. This would help in darkening the ride experience.

I don't think they are going to replace cars or add "music" to the ride.

Jodi
08-04-2009, 10:28 PM
What kind of music would they add? I hope it wouldn't take away from the "space" effect. We are heading down in 16 days and are bummed that SM will not be open. That is where we head first, now, have to devise a new plan. We'll still make it magical though.:thumbsup:

MichaelMouse
08-04-2009, 11:22 PM
Plain and Simple: they should change SM in Orlando to the same exact one they have in Disneyland Paris. Does anyone know what i'm talking about???

The SM in Paris is AWESOME. Similar to Rock n Rollin Coaster where it shoots from 0 - 60 to begin the ride. All sorts of loops and twist.

In one sentence: It blows away SM in Orlando.....:mickey::mickey::mickey:

BMan62
08-05-2009, 07:40 AM
What kind of music would they add? I hope it wouldn't take away from the "space" effect. We are heading down in 16 days and are bummed that SM will not be open. That is where we head first, now, have to devise a new plan. We'll still make it magical though.:thumbsup:

They could use the music from the PBS show: "Jack Horkheimer: Star Gazer" It is Isoa Tomita's electronic rendition of Claude Debussy's Arabesque No. 1, from Tomita's album Snowflakes Are Dancing. (If you want to hear classical music done in a different way - check out Tomita's albums! Personal favorite: "Firebird")

Tygger7
08-05-2009, 08:36 AM
Plain and Simple: they should change SM in Orlando to the same exact one they have in Disneyland Paris. Does anyone know what i'm talking about???

The SM in Paris is AWESOME. Similar to Rock n Rollin Coaster where it shoots from 0 - 60 to begin the ride. All sorts of loops and twist.

Okay, I know I'm probably in the minority, but I really hope they don't do anything too extreme with the ride....like a super fast launch, loops, etc. SM was the very first coaster I ever rode and yes, I have a sentimental attachment. More than that though, I physically can't do "extreme" rides any more. I was really bummed because the last time I rode RnRR, I felt horrible to for the next 2 days. :ill: Whether it was the g-force of the launch, or all the loops, I don't know. My head got slammed against the headrest numerous times, and it hurt to breathe...possibly both of there were due to the restraints. I didn't ride it on our last trip and had absolutely no issues. I was able to ride EE 3 times in a row and felt great! I guess I look at it the same as the Matterhorn at DL....it's nice to keep some rides as "classic" so that more people can enjoy them. Just my two cents. :D

DisneyFr33k
08-05-2009, 08:36 AM
Getting older and my neck getting stiffer, I have always hoped they would add head rests. I would love to be able to lean my head back during the ride so when the unexpected turns take place, I can anchor my head. During the past several rides, I've come off the ride with a sore neck.

RBrooksC
08-05-2009, 10:08 AM
Yeah, I would like them to keep it as it is. It has been a "wild mouse" coaster in the dark since its inception. This is a ride of passage for many young park-goers. I, for one, cannot wait to take my son and daughter on Space Mountain for the first time. If the ride is drastically changed, the ride of passage isn't as profound since the parent wouldn't not be taking the child on the same ride as was on their first time.

While I never mind new and improved, I would not want a drastic change. Just fix the track, update the cars, and allow queue changes to darken the ride experience.

Diamondback'09
08-06-2009, 12:44 PM
I really enjoyed the new version of Space Mountain at Disneyland in CA. I like the quick turns and several drops.

antngoof89
08-07-2009, 01:55 AM

I read this post the other day and went to youtube to check out an on ride clip. EPIC!! I really hope that ride is exactly what they're doing to Space Mountain in WDW, I severely doubt it, but it would be amazing to ride that ride. The quick launch, the loops, dips, it's just an amazing looking coaster. I know they won't bring another extreme ride like that to WDW since EE and RNRC are there, but it would be nice to have another one for us lovers of thrills.

RBrooksC
08-07-2009, 07:19 AM
I read this post the other day and went to youtube to check out an on ride clip. EPIC!! I really hope that ride is exactly what they're doing to Space Mountain in WDW, I severely doubt it, but it would be amazing to ride that ride. The quick launch, the loops, dips, it's just an amazing looking coaster. I know they won't bring another extreme ride like that to WDW since EE and RNRC are there, but it would be nice to have another one for us lovers of thrills.

This is NOT what they are doing to SM in Orlando. What has been happening, while none of it 100% confirmed, is basic maintenance, queue improvements, and other things of that nature. The ride structure is not being adjusted. When one rides Space Mountain again, it will be the same "wild mouse" style ride as it has been in the past.

FaithTrustPixieDust
08-07-2009, 11:02 AM
This is NOT what they are doing to SM in Orlando. What has been happening, while none of it 100% confirmed, is basic maintenance, queue improvements, and other things of that nature. The ride structure is not being adjusted. When one rides Space Mountain again, it will be the same "wild mouse" style ride as it has been in the past.

This is consistent with what I've heard all along. However, I am rather annoyed that they are closing the ride for so many months for "baisc maintenance." (Mostly I am annoyed that it will not reopen in time for my visit!!) :fit:

mousetrapper
08-09-2009, 10:47 AM
It is a long time for the ride to be closed, but I trust Disney has good reasons for that. Anyone recollect the last time SM was closed for refurb? If so, how long was that particular closure and what was it for? I would think a lot of it has to do with safety - if the ride hasn't been completely overhauled, checked and rechecked for years, I'm sure the safety folks are monitoring the wear and tear and advising all along. Cosmetic improvements and such are one thing, but assuring safety is another big part of the equation. Plus, once improvements to the actual ride (tracks, cars, technology, etc.) are made, they must have to put the ride through a lengthy test process to make sure everything's A-OK.

We'll be in WDW when it's supposed to reopen so I really hope it does!

iluvdumbo
08-09-2009, 11:20 AM
I will be so depressed that SM will not be opened when we go, but I bet that Disney has a good reason for the refurbishments...

DisneyFanaticDargon
08-09-2009, 12:23 PM

This is what they were GOING to do. Replacing the cars to support an audio system would require replacing the entire track in order to support the increased weight of the new cars. However, all that work would require Space Mountain to be down for a significantly longer amount of time than Phil Holmes (the VP of MK) wanted it to be closed, including all through Christmas of this year.

Therefore, many of the more advanced plans got scrapped and the refurb got downgraded to something much more bare-bones. I think they're replacing or reinforcing some of the supports, replacing parts of the tracks with more banking, and putting in some new lighting/special effects. This is the reason it's able to open sooner, prior to Thanksgiving.

I, for one, would have preferred the original refurb despite the lengthy closure. Anyone who's been on Space Mountain at Disneyland knows the WDW version is a very pale imitation (despite it being the original Space Mountain). I'd take DL's over MK's any day.

Oh well, maybe someday MK's Space Mountain will get the makeover it truly deserves.

Mousemates
08-09-2009, 04:24 PM
I, for one, would have preferred the original refurb despite the lengthy closure. Anyone who's been on Space Mountain at Disneyland knows the WDW version is a very pale imitation (despite it being the original Space Mountain). I'd take DL's over MK's any day.

:ditto:

Oh well, maybe someday MK's Space Mountain will get the makeover it truly deserves.

I wish, but it will never be cheaper or quicker to do than it is right now...and if they aren't going to do it now during a time when general maintenance is already needed (the ride was getting rough), I have little hope of a major refurb being done anytime soon (say in the next decade).

Boost
08-11-2009, 10:13 PM
SM is an MK classic...I also hope that they don't change it too much.

Darin M
08-13-2009, 10:39 AM
I love Space Mountain as much as the next person, but this attraction does need some updating. Maybe not an overhaul but a few things. I think they need to gut the tracks and make it a little more like RnR, nice and smooth. Now I'm not saying we need loop de loops, but a smoother track and a few twists and turns. Also the projected meteorites need to go. With all of the new digital projection and 3-D, CGI, etc. that is available, they need to do something with those rocks. Space Mountain is a look at the future from so long ago. We have a different outlook on the future now, and this ride could benefit with some updates.