PDA

View Full Version : Help! Teacher With Laryngitis! Almost Schooltime!

mickeys_princess_mom
07-31-2009, 09:15 AM
Having an allergic reaction to paint fumes from painting my classroom half the summer. (Thanks, Disney--I was inspired again by the pirate rooms at CBR...:blush:) This has happened before and it settles in my weak vocal cords. I should have known better. I have totally stopped attempting to speak or whisper. Anybody have remedies to speed up the healing process so I can get my voice back fast? School starts in about ten days!
:thanks:

nicster
07-31-2009, 10:15 AM
Gargle with very warm salt water, several times a day, that will help sooth the allergy. Then drink warm honey infused lemon water or honey tea. I remember my son coming home from a concert once when he was in his early 20's. He could hardly talk due to the screaming (he is lead singer/screamer). I poured him some tea, took a tablespoon of honey stuck it in his mouth and handed him the tea to drink. You should have seen the look on his face! The next words out of his mouth were clear!! MOMS RULE!!:mickey:

mickeys_princess_mom
07-31-2009, 08:29 PM
Thank you nicster. I'm willing to try anything.

Georgesgirl1
08-01-2009, 12:37 AM
I lost my voice one year during conference week---talk about bad timing! The best advice I got was to stop talking (duh!). Hardest thing I ever did, but my voice did come back in a few days. I also second nicster that gargling and soothing tea will help.

mickeys_princess_mom
08-01-2009, 04:08 PM
I lost my voice one year during conference week---talk about bad timing! The best advice I got was to stop talking (duh!). Hardest thing I ever did, but my voice did come back in a few days. I also second nicster that gargling and soothing tea will help.

I have stopped talking (nothing there anyway), and I'm trying not to whisper either, cause I've heard that still strains the cords.

Tink2002
08-03-2009, 10:20 PM
I'm going to school to be a speech therapist (SLP) right now. The best advice I can give you is to not attempt to talk or whisper. Whispering actually puts more stress on inflamed vocal chords than normal speech, so just carry a note pad and pen around for a while!

You can do the warm water/tea route, too, to help it feel better if there is soreness.

It should return by the time school starts, and if it's a recurring issue or still hasn't resolved itself, I would see someone just to make sure that you weren't having any problems beyond an allergy.

mickeys_princess_mom
08-04-2009, 09:12 AM
I'm going to school to be a speech therapist (SLP) right now. The best advice I can give you is to not attempt to talk or whisper. Whispering actually puts more stress on inflamed vocal chords than normal speech, so just carry a note pad and pen around for a while!

You can do the warm water/tea route, too, to help it feel better if there is soreness.

It should return by the time school starts, and if it's a recurring issue or still hasn't resolved itself, I would see someone just to make sure that you weren't having any problems beyond an allergy.
Thank you, Tink2002! :hug: