PDA

View Full Version : MNSSHP Can ADULTS Wear Costumes?

Goes4FastPass
07-30-2009, 08:32 PM
Reality check. The last time we went to MNNSHP many adults were in costume.

Our 2009 MNSSHP tickets arrived today an the letter they were with said,

"Children are encouraged to attend the party in costume." followed by the expected safety guidelines.

I don't think, "Children are encouraged..." necessarily implies "not adults".

This is a reality check.

Thanks!

VAdizneefan
07-30-2009, 08:51 PM
I've seen lots of adults in costume at Not So Scary. I think it is a great part of the party because you get to see how creative others can be and you get to have fun dressing up yourself. :mickey:

LibertyTreeGal
07-30-2009, 09:04 PM
Urgh, I wonder if they have been having problems with riske adult costumes?

Just a thought -- too bad if a few are spoiling it for everyone.

But then, I just had a fit of giggles wondering how Disney would word it if they were setting down rules for adult costumes.

"No guest will show any, um, well, you know what we mean, don't you? I mean, you don't want Mickey to have a heart attack do you? He's like 80 years old and we'd hate to have to defibrilate him in front of the kiddies."

TiggeRia
07-30-2009, 09:36 PM
I'm planning on wearing a costume--they didn't tell me I couldn't when I ordered the tickets. Hope it's ok!

SurferStitch
07-30-2009, 09:43 PM
I would hope adults could still dress up. DH and I went as Tink and Hook last year, and our costumes were a HUGE hit with CM's and guests. I took more photos with kids and adults, and signed more "autographs" for kids than I can even remember...we had SO much fun!

I doubt you can't wear costumes anymore. I mean, we did see some VERY revealing costumes on teens and adults last year, but not enough to no longer allow adults to dress up.

NotaGeek
07-30-2009, 11:07 PM
I would hope adults could still dress up. DH and I went as Tink and Hook last year, and our costumes were a HUGE hit with CM's and guests. I took more photos with kids and adults, and signed more "autographs" for kids than I can even remember...we had SO much fun!

I doubt you can't wear costumes anymore. I mean, we did see some VERY revealing costumes on teens and adults last year, but not enough to no longer allow adults to dress up.
That might be part of the problem ... I remember reading that Disney doesn't want non-cast members signing autographs and such.

Pirate Granny
07-30-2009, 11:19 PM
One year we did see a very inappropriate costume...very, very short skirt...and thong underwear...very visible...we were shocked at a disney park...her rear end was flapping in the breeze...and we were curious why no CM or Management said anything...you should've seen all the heads turning as she walked by...Almost as bad as the thong bikini at the GF...and the bottom was bigger than the top piece...
:pirate:

gueli
07-31-2009, 08:41 AM
Reality check...Our 2009 MNSSHP tickets arrived today an the letter they were with said,

"Children are encouraged to attend the party in costume." followed by the expected safety guidelines...

Thanks!

I am Just a big KID. :D
I will never grow up !
No Matter how old I am...
:geek2:

Disney Doll
07-31-2009, 09:05 AM
I doubt Disney would ever make a rule against adults in costumes. After all, isn't WDW the place where everyone gets to be a kid? We didn't notice any inappropriate costumes last year, but I wouldn't be surprised if Disney felt the need to be more specific with their costume dress code. It is a family park. Too bad that kind of thing isn't just common sense for everyone.

SurferStitch
07-31-2009, 09:07 AM
That might be part of the problem ... I remember reading that Disney doesn't want non-cast members signing autographs and such.

I know....I felt so weird, but how do you say no to a 4 year old girl looking at you like their hero? The moms were almost worse than the kids...they knew I wasn't a CM, but insisted I did it anyway. I really tried to have my DH "shield" me as I did it so CM's wouldn't see it. :-o

coneygoil
07-31-2009, 09:21 AM
I'm going to the party at the beginning of Oct. and me and my friend are dressing up and we're in our late '20's! I've also seem pics of many adults wearing costumes.

Goes4FastPass
07-31-2009, 09:51 AM
My question was not, "have adults worn costumes in the past?" or "do we think adults should wear costumes?" it was,

Do we have a reason to think the Disney Company may have changed their policy toward adults wearing costumes to MNSSHP?

I can't imagine this is case. Many adults have attended MNSSHP several times and worn costumes.

VWL Mom
07-31-2009, 10:08 AM
I think if they had changed their policy regarding adults it would be printed on the confo, otherwise they would have to turn away people at the gates. So I'm going with the assumption that we can still go in costume.

DisneyHoneymooners
07-31-2009, 10:24 AM
When I ordered our tickets for this year, the operator asked me if I had my costume picked out yet-so I think you're good.

Imagineer1981
07-31-2009, 11:29 AM
Disney generally does crack down on riske costumes. I have seen adults told to go back and change or to put stockings on ,or other things because the costumes are not appropriate.

joanna71985
07-31-2009, 03:13 PM

That is correct. Adults are not allowed to sign autographs. Guests can get kicked out for doing so.

SurferStitch
07-31-2009, 03:32 PM
That is correct. Adults are not allowed to sign autographs. Guests can get kicked out for doing so.

I know our friends were asked to sign autographs back in 2004, and nobody said anything. Like I said, I didn't want to, but when you have parents and kids alike insisting, what can you really do? I was not about to upset a little child! This was about 10 days before Tink debuted in the MK for meet and greets.

One girl was at LTT at a table behind ours. She was with about 8 adults, and they all made a huge deal about my Tink costume and DH's Hook costume. CM's in LTT were taking photos of us, and one of the character handlers stood right next to me as I signed an autograph. She thought it was so cool that a little girl liked me that much. I asked her if it would be a problem, and she said no. She said she would hate to see that little girl upset that Tink wouldn't sign her book for her. Whew!

I made sure I never insinuated I was a CM or anything like that. Heck, I had a big neon party wristband on my arm! Clashed with the costume, but ya gotta do whatcha gotta do!

Dawn,DeniseandDiane
07-31-2009, 03:42 PM
We always dress up for MNSSHP! It is the best part of going we believe! We have as much fun as the other "kids" do!
We did see a few costumes last yr. which made us cringe.Some young women "dressed" as Alice and Snow White. There wasn't much left to the imagination or the clothes either! We were kinda shocked they were allowed like that. I would of covered my childs eyes if they were with me.

Dawn,Denise&Diane:wave::wave::wave:

Giselle
07-31-2009, 03:46 PM
Why don't they want guests signing autographs? Do they think lines to get autographs from CMs are too short?

Kaptain Hook
07-31-2009, 04:01 PM
I have a hook costume, (imagine that), and on Haloween one year I went to the Disney Store and got mobbed. I guess they thought I was working there. The next year we went to MNSSHP and the cast member at the gate told me not to sign autographs or pose for pictures. Surprisingly enough, no one asked me to so it wasn't a problem. Later on, it was so hot I had to get out of my costume. It's not supposed to be 91 at 7pm in the middle of October.
As long as they let me, I'll always wear a costume to MNSSHP. There's nothing like trying to keep a wig and hat in place on Space Mountain.

Sylvia
07-31-2009, 05:00 PM
A few years ago, my Mother and I were at CBR on Halloween and saw the best group costumes. The family members were dressed as the cast of Snow White - 7 dwarfs, Snow White and the Wicked Witch. It was very obvious they planned their attire, and took the time to be sure they were in character, without face masks. They really turned heads as they walked around.

PETE FROM NYC
08-01-2009, 12:03 AM
I might be in costume too.
I will be dressed as a mugger.
STICK EM UP AND GIVE ME ALL OF YOUR FAST PASSES!

joanna71985
08-01-2009, 07:02 PM
Why don't they want guests signing autographs? Do they think lines to get autographs from CMs are too short?

Because they don't want guests (especially children) thinking a guest is a character and then the guest goes and does something inappropriate.

And guests really are tossed from the parks for impersenating a character. There was a whole mess a couple of years ago when a guy who looked like Santa was thrown out of the MK around Christmastime. So if a guest asks you to sign autographs, I really would refuse.

CaptSmee
08-01-2009, 07:28 PM
Urgh, I wonder if they have been having problems with riske adult costumes?

Just a thought -- too bad if a few are spoiling it for everyone.

But then, I just had a fit of giggles wondering how Disney would word it if they were setting down rules for adult costumes.

"No guest will show any, um, well, you know what we mean, don't you? I mean, you don't want Mickey to have a heart attack do you? He's like 80 years old and we'd hate to have to defibrilate him in front of the kiddies."

I have worn costumes to 3 different parties over the years. Every year more and more adults were wearing costumes. I think too much is being read into this letter. I'm guessing it was incorporated because people must ask if it's ok for their children to wear costumes.

And I haven't seen anything to risque...I did see a young girl in a Mulan costume complete with parasol that was gorgeous, but left you wondering what if anything was on under that robe she was wearing!

PAYROLL PRINCESS
08-01-2009, 10:39 PM
There were bunches of people dressed up last year when we wer there-kids & adults.

jonahbear2006
08-02-2009, 12:17 AM
As much as I love to dress up; I don't want to here. It is hot and it's for my kids. I would love to just go and have them dressed up and take their pictures and really just enjoy them getting a kick out of it. Though, I can't think about what would really be a good costume for my boys. One does have a Jack Sparrow outfit he wore last time and the other has a mickey but i can see the mickey hat being ditched and stolen.

diz_girl
08-03-2009, 02:40 PM

From what I understand, character CMs are actually trained to sign their character's signature in a specific way and cannot become a character unless the pass the signature test, and for the CMs in the furry suits, they basically have to do it blindfolded. The way the furry suiters sign it, they have to make it look like the character is signing it, so they can't actually see what they're writing.

Character CM's are trained to sign in a certain way so that every autograph by a character looks the same and children aren't confused when this trip's Mickey (or Cinderella) signature is different from last trip's. So when a guest signs an autograph, they don't know how to sign it correctly and that's why Disney doesn't like guests signing autographs. Obviously, guests won't be dressing up as Mickey or Pooh, but I'm sure that you get my drift.

KAJUNKING
08-03-2009, 02:53 PM
as far as i can tell costumes for adults are fine but no masks are allowed

Imagineer1981
08-03-2009, 05:06 PM
A few years ago, my Mother and I were at CBR on Halloween and saw the best group costumes. The family members were dressed as the cast of Snow White - 7 dwarfs, Snow White and the Wicked Witch. It was very obvious they planned their attire, and took the time to be sure they were in character, without face masks. They really turned heads as they walked around.

Thats one of the fun parts, its like Comic-Con, people spend months planning their costumes

PrincessJadesMom
08-03-2009, 05:12 PM
I believe that was on our tickets for MNSSHP last year. It doesn't mean adults can't dress up though. They do not allow inappropriate costumes or masks.

dmosher
08-04-2009, 04:42 AM
Nope, adults can dress up, just use common sense and dress appropriately. DW and I dress up fort MNNSHP as Snow White and the Prince and CM's as well as guests loved it.
:pipes:
D

jenperich
08-04-2009, 09:53 PM
You don't HAVE to wear a costume to MNSSHP do you? We like Halloween and are excited about going to the party, however we're not big into costumes. Just curious!

Dawn,DeniseandDiane
08-05-2009, 09:45 AM
You don't have to wear a costume. For some,it is just fun to be able to be even a bigger kid than usual at WDW!! We took 2 of our teenage nephews last yr and they wore MNSSHP cool looking tees. We were kinda surprised they really liked them!! (Or, maybe they wore them out of their love for us. We didn't question because, either way... awwwwww)

dreaming of wdw
08-05-2009, 09:51 AM
Are adult costumes more readily available in DW shops around the time of MNSSHP?

DisneyOtaku
08-05-2009, 10:48 AM
My mom was just telling me about the costumes she and my sister have apparently been planning for us to wear--Mouseketeers! I'm sure it's been done before, but I love the idea of the four of us (including my usually-grumpy dad) wearing those shirts with Mickey hats!

Heck, if dad doesn't like it, he can be Donald Duck and complain the whole time as he follows the Mickey fangirls, lol :D

Dawn,DeniseandDiane
08-05-2009, 12:23 PM
We have been to 5 different MNSSHP and we always look for costumes for adults and we have never found very many at all around this time of year. There are some cute different shirts and stuff but not alot of costumes.

Dawn,DeniseandDiane
08-05-2009, 12:26 PM
We went as Mouseketeers 4yrs ago and we had our names put on the shirts and we had so.... many people stop to ask if we were REAL Mouseketeers! It was our favorite costume.

Dawn,Denise&DIane:wave::wave::wave: