PDA

View Full Version : Frustrated and Depressed

meldan98
07-30-2009, 01:14 PM
This is the first chance I've had to post since my world has kind of caved in around me. On Thursday night my dh got a call from his boss and was told that he was being laid off. This is just devistating to us. Then on Friday, we got a call from my mom that my grandfather passed away. He's been sick for a couple of years and has been in a nursing home for about 6 months, so it wasn't a suprise, but it's still difficult.

My dh has been sending out resumes and calling everybody he knows and he hasn't had any leads yet. The funeral for my grandfather was yesterday and it was nice.

I just can't get over this feeling of dread and and dispair. My dh is just so upset and feels like a failure. Our dd who is going to be starting kindergarten in a couple weeks doesn't understand why she has to change schools and lose all of her friends. She's been going to a private school, which we won't be able to afford if dh doesn't find a job. All of our trips to Disneyland are on hold, even though I've already paid for the hotel for the D23 Expo.

I'm not sleeping and all I can think about is how we are hurting our daughter by sending her to public school and how upset she is about losing her friends.

Mickey'sGirl
07-30-2009, 01:52 PM
I'm sorry for your worries.

My DH was laid off at the beginning of June, and as a result we had to stop therapies for our two autistic children, and tutoring for our eldest. It's for the time being, but the decisions had to be made. Bills need to be paid, food needs to be purchased and life has to continue.

I wish you and your family all the pixie dust you can get to get through this time, and that your husband finds new employment soon. :pixie:

buzznwoodysmom
07-30-2009, 02:27 PM
So sorry that you are facing all of this. Unfortunately, there are a lot of people going through the same thing right now, so you are not alone. My DH is trying to go full time National Guard right now because things are really slow at his other job. We haven't suffered financially yet, but DH is taking precations just in case. Your daughter is young enough that she'll make friends easily and this probably won't affect her as much as you are dreading right now. My kids are going to 2nd and 4th and we've also played with the idea of pulling them from private school as well. They, too, are scared to move to a new school and leave behind some of their friends and make new friends, but that's life. Kids move to new cities or states with their families and have to go to new schools all the time, all over the world, and for the most part they all make it just fine. I hope things begin looking up for you.

VWL Mom
07-30-2009, 02:27 PM
Did you check with your daughter's school to see if they offer any type of "scholarship" program? I know they do it around here for some of the catholic grammar schools. It might be worth a call.

Good thoughts and extra pixie dust coming your way during this rough time. :pixie: :pixie: :pixie:

ibelieveindisneymagic
07-30-2009, 02:30 PM
I am so sorry! Sometimes, it sure seems like nothing is going right :(

DH will find a new job, hopefully it will be one he likes better (and pays more) than his old one.

Your DD will be just fine. Kids are very resilant, and they bounce back so quickly. I changed schools at the beginning of grade 1, and at the time it felt like a huge deal, but it didn't take long until I made new friends and liked the new school even better. Be careful that you don't make her feel worried because you're worried. My DD picks up on my emotions so quickly!

Just remember - the bad times DON'T last, it is just a bump on the road :pixie:

BluewaterBrad
07-30-2009, 03:08 PM
Hang in there!! Be strong!! Things will get better!!:mickey:

LauraByTheSea
07-30-2009, 03:39 PM
Sorry about your grandpa... :(

Everyone's right - things WILL get better, they always do. My DH was laid off last year at this time, and I was terrified. After a horrible night's sleep, I went through all the "technical" stuff (the bills), and said ok... As long as the rent is paid, there's food in the cupboard... If I have to run off cable (gulp), so be it, if I have to turn off internet (double gulp), so be it. We struggled for a few months and he (Thank God above) got a call-back from his job.

I know not every story has a happy ending, but it can if you stay positive... Keep your chin up! Good times will come!

Disney Doll
07-30-2009, 04:18 PM
As long as you stay positive about the change your daughter will be fine. Are the public schools in your area really that bad? I've always been a huge supporter of public education, but I know not all public schools are equal and I have taught at schools where I would not send my child. Really though I have always thought that the parents make the difference when it comes to education. If you make education a priority in your household and support your daughter she'll be fine no matter what school she's in.

Wishing you luck with the job search!

PAYROLL PRINCESS
07-30-2009, 09:41 PM
I'm so sorry about your husband's job and the loss of your grandfather.
Tell your husband to work with employment agencies as they sometimes have leads that aren't posted and you don't pay, the hiring company does. And worst case scenario, he could always temp. They have benefits too!
He can also go on INDEED.COM and sign up for alerts for any jobs in his field and area. I am pretty sure this is a country wide website.
Good luck.

nicster
07-30-2009, 10:28 PM
So sorry to read about your troubles, death is always difficult to deal with. I do want to assure you that my children both went to Roseville public schools & turned out to be well educated, highly successful individuals... What we do & teach at home has a much greater impact than what happens in the classroom, if we are willing to take on the challenge.

mickeys_princess_mom
07-31-2009, 09:31 AM
Just offering some moral support and pixiedust. :pixie: Sorry you're going through such a hard time. Hang in there, and take your time. Just keep putting "one foot in front of the other", and focus on your family's love. I'm sure DH will find a good job soon, and I really wish you all the best. It's nice to know we have this extended, worldwide family on Intercot to talk to and help us through the tough times.
:hug:

Georgesgirl1
07-31-2009, 10:07 PM
I'm sorry things are so tough for you right now. It is so hard to lose a family member even if you know it will happen soon. I'm also sorry about your husband's job. I hope he finds something soon.

How bad are the public schools in your area? I have taught at public schools in the past and I think most of the time public schools are judged unfairly. Myers will most likely go to a public school unless I start teaching at a private school that gives a HUGE discount! I have no qualms at all about sending him to a public school. As someone else said, stay involved in your daughter's school and work with her at home if neccessary.

As far as her being upset about leaving her friends-I switched schools at the beginning of 6th grade and was devastated. BUT I ended up meeting my best friend because of it, so it all worked out! I think if you set up play dates with her private school friends when possible she will be fine.

badkitty
08-01-2009, 03:36 AM
So sorry to hear about your hard times. Losing a loved one is very difficult. Losing your job is very upsetting but in these hard times it usually isn't personal. Don't count out the temp agencies. The temp services in Sacramento are very good and although it may not sound like an ideal job, my DBF has had steady "temp" work for nearly four years. I agree with Nicster about the Roseville schools. There are many excellent schools and I know many graduates from the Roseville area who turned out great. Hang in there and try not to cancel all your DL trips. Getting away can add some happiness to such sad times.

disneycutie165
08-02-2009, 04:09 PM
I'm so sorry! I know how some times can be really hard. In 2003 my grandfather passed away in May, my great grandfather in july (?) and my uncle on halloween night. all in the same year! my friend is going through the same situation (except she is 17). she had to leave our private school for a public. she is excited about the change but her financial & family world is falling apart. don't let it get to you too much though. rent a nice comedy. read a book at night when u wake up. go out with friends to dinner. i know u may be struggling financially, but spending this money will make u feel better!

Hugs & Kisses. Prayers & Pixie Dust!:pixie::pixie::tink::tink::mjump: (there is a happy mickey for you!)

meldan98
08-04-2009, 01:21 PM
Thank you all for your support. I too have heard that Roseville schools are good, but with all the horror stories of budget cuts, I'm just affraid that my dds are going to get lost in a sea of kids. The thought that they won't learn spanish, music and some of the extras that were offered at private school makes me sad. My dh and I talked and we will be active at the school and do the things that will help round out their education. I'm not sure what we are going to do for day care for our kids once my dh finds a job. What we are going to pay in daycare is going to be more that what we were paying for private school. Oh well...it's just money right? I just hope and pray that we don't lose the house.