PDA

View Full Version : Smoking Areas in the Park

Georgesgirl1
07-29-2009, 11:15 PM
The past several trips to Disney I have been very frustrated at the locations of the smoking areas in the parks. Many of them are located in places that people have to walk by or that I feel are otherwise inappropriate places. For example, there was one right next to the stroller parking at the Tusker House and one beside the bag check at the entrance to Magic Kingdom. There were many others next to bathrooms as well. Come on Disney, why would you put a smoking area next to stroller parking? And to put one at the entrance of a park that everyone has to walk by? In the past, I have just held my breath and rushed past, but now that I have a baby I can't make him hold his breath! I wish Disney would realize how unhealthy this is for the many infants and kids who come to Disney and better place the designated smoking areas.

I am very appreciative that Disney does have smoking areas because I remember when you could smoke anywhere on property and that was awful for someone like me who is allergic to cigarette smoke, but I wish they would put them in better areas. Am I the only one who is bothered by this?

Seasonscraps
07-29-2009, 11:31 PM
I always found the smoking areas to be out of the way in the parks - almost in alleys but I am not sensitive to the smell of smoke so I probably didn't notice it.

But I thought it was odd at the BW that the smoking areas in a lot of cases were right by the doors.

Polynesian Dweller
07-29-2009, 11:41 PM
We've always felt that many of the areas are not in good spots. In Epcot, they tend to be in the only shaded spots in World Showcase. It would be nice for non-smokers to get some of that shade without having to enjoy second smoke. We've also noticed the one's near stroller areas and close to doorways. Disney does need to look at this.

johnO
07-30-2009, 02:49 AM
Could it be that they make it worse? Rather than having the smoke spread out and not as thick, you have many smokers concentrated in one area that gags you as you walk by.

LauraByTheSea
07-30-2009, 07:09 AM
I don't smoke, but am always aggravated when we have to search for a smoking spot for my mom... They really do seem out of they way. Most of them, anyway...

Seasonscraps
07-30-2009, 07:29 AM
Could it be that they make it worse? Rather than having the smoke spread out and not as thick, you have many smokers concentrated in one area that gags you as you walk by.

The concentrated smoke is worse but I think it's better to have smoking sections then not. There would be a lot more litter in the parks. Guests would get burned walking into lit cigarettes or by people waving a lit cigarette around. Smokers would get harrassed everywhere with the *cough cough* hand waving thing people do to get smoke out of their face etc.

I was just looking at park maps - there are no designated smoking areas right near the park entrances. There are approx 7-10 smoking areas in each park that are identified on the map. It would probably be in non-smokers interests to know where they are also so they can avoid walking through clouds of smoke.

Married-2-WDW-nut
07-30-2009, 07:50 AM
We stayed at Animl Kingdom Lodge for the first time at was appalled that the area people were smoking in was on the path between the buses and the entrance to the hotel. You HAD to go past, and if it was raining the smokers obviously just come undercover ...so also blocked the route through ARRRRGGH.

Think it needed a little bit more thought

SurferStitch
07-30-2009, 07:56 AM
I'm not a smoker, and I'm sensitive to smoke (makes my eyes water and burns my nose), and I can't recall ever walking through a cloud of smoke near designated areas, so I guess the designated areas are pretty much out of the way. Granted, I don't have to worry about stroller parking, so I wouldn't be in that area.

The only area I've ever noticed is in the MK near the bridge at Liberty Square, and that's only because I've seen people smoking there, not because of smell.

LibertyTreeGal
07-30-2009, 08:02 AM
I hate the locations, myself. The absolute worst though, is at Disneyland! It is just a stone's throw away from the queue for the rafts to Pirate island (formerly TSI). Seems like the wind is always blowing towards the rafts and I hate fumbling for my inhaler in a crowd.

And I don't consider the waving my hand *cough, cough* to be harassment, for me it is a natural reaction to, "Oh please, please asthma, don't trigger!! I have already taken two puffs on the inhaler already!"

wishiniwasthere
07-30-2009, 08:32 AM
Honestly, in 11 visits to DW, I have never seen a smoking area. I guess I'm too wrapped up in all the fun! :blush:

g8rgirl29
07-30-2009, 10:34 AM
Honestly, in 11 visits to DW, I have never seen a smoking area. I guess I'm too wrapped up in all the fun! :blush:

I was thinking the same thing!! If someone were to ask me where the smoking sections are located I would not be able to list one!! :confused:
As a former smoker I do agree that there should be smoking areas. But I also feel they should be off the beaten path a little so that little ones aren't exposed. Most smokers don't want to expose little ones to their smoke and I am sure the locations are disturbing to them too. It always confuses me when at a restaurant you have to walk through the smoking section to get to non smoking, what is up with that??

buzznwoodysmom
07-30-2009, 10:41 AM
I am not a smoker either and hate the smell, but in all my visits I've yet to come across a smoking area. I think the thing to remember is that it is impossible to please everyone. No matter where Disney puts the smoking areas someone is going to be unhappy about it. I've been going to the parks and resorts with my children since they were 2 years old and 9 months old and I've never felt that thier health was in jeopardy because of the smoking areas in WDW. Not to say that it hasn't bothered others, as it obviously has, but I just don't think Disney will ever be able to please everyone, unless they ban smoking from the entire resort. And even then most smokers will still find a place to smoke. Just my opinion!

Imagineer1981
07-30-2009, 11:01 AM
I wonder if Disney will ever become "SMOKE FREE"? I know here in St. Louis at the Cardinal games, if you want to smoke, you have to go outside the stadium. I wonder if Disney would ever make guests go outside the parks? I doubt it, but as more and more states go smoke free in public places, Florida being one of them, its starting to become the norm for smokers that they can't smoke in many places and have learned to deal with it, IMHO

starflyer59
07-30-2009, 11:32 AM
In all our trips to Disney over the years I cannot remember a trip where we did not see at least 1 or 2 smokers just walking around the park with a lit cigarette.

Pally
07-30-2009, 11:38 AM
In all our trips to Disney over the years I cannot remember a trip where we did not see at least 1 or 2 smokers just walking around the park with a lit cigarette.

:ditto:

Disney Doll
07-30-2009, 12:05 PM
I am more bothered by the people who don't use the designated areas. Last year I ran into a guy smoking right outside the Baby Center in EPCOT. I let him have it. That's just so inconsiderate and rude. Disney needs to really get tough on their smoking policy. It's like there is no enforcement.

biodtl
07-30-2009, 12:24 PM
The only place in WDW that I was bothered by smoke was in Typhoon lagoon, when there was a smoking area right next to a dining area, so we had to smell people's smoke while we were eating. That seemed like a bad choice for a smoking area.

MarkC
07-30-2009, 12:32 PM
I've noticed those areas and thought some of them were way to close to areas where non-smokers walk. I've also noticed people lighting up where they're not supposed to. I won't even get into smokers tossing their butts wherever they feel, whether or not they are at Disney. Luckily in Nebraska it's now banned in all bars and restaurants and in a lot of public places. Thank goodness.

KAJUNKING
07-30-2009, 12:41 PM
i used to be a smoker (its been about 7 or 8 years) and dw still is, although she doesn't smoke much but over the past few years i think we've visited most of the smoking areas in the parks, and i would say the vast majority of them are really off out of the way, as far as the pp said about the smokers having the shaded areas, I'm sure given the option they would switch with you, you could sit in the shade and not smoke and they can walk around the parks in the sun smoking, i agree the ones walking around smoking should be smacked on the forehead

MNNHFLTX
07-30-2009, 02:08 PM
MODERATER NOTE--

Just a reminder that this thread will not be allowed to evolve into a discussion on Smokers' vs. Non-smokers' rights. Keep the comments related to the location of the designated smoking areas please.

To the OP--I am perplexed about the smoking areas you mentioned. According the maps, there is no designated smoking area next to the bag check outside of the Magic Kingdom. I am wondering if you saw a few people lighting up before entering (in a non-designated area) because they knew it might be awhile before they could smoke again. And the smoking area in Africa at Animal Kingdom is down next to the water behind the Dawa Bar (which is next to the Tusker House). Is that the stroller parking area? Not having to push a stroller (or park them) at WDW, I am unfamiliar with where all the parking areas are, but it would be strange if they happened to be next to the designated smoking area.

TheVBs
07-30-2009, 04:06 PM
For the most part the smoking areas go unnoticed by us, with a few unfortunate exceptions on our last two trips. The first one was our trip two years ago, we noticed that a smoking area was right next to where we were waiting for Capt. Jack to come out.

On this last trip in May, I was really shocked that the smoking area at ASMu was right near the entrance to the food court. From our bldg. you had to walk right past it to get to the food. It was supposed to be over on one side only, but sometimes they spread out on both sides of the path, which made the smoke impossible to avoid. And another time I was surprised when we exited a greeting area in Toontown right above a smoking area.

I know it must be tricky for Disney to properly place these areas, but you would think if it's an area that many people have to walk through that they would avoid putting a smoking area there.

Georgesgirl1
07-30-2009, 10:07 PM
MODERATER NOTE--

To the OP--I am perplexed about the smoking areas you mentioned. According the maps, there is no designated smoking area next to the bag check outside of the Magic Kingdom. I am wondering if you saw a few people lighting up before entering (in a non-designated area) because they knew it might be awhile before they could smoke again. And the smoking area in Africa at Animal Kingdom is down next to the water behind the Dawa Bar (which is next to the Tusker House). Is that the stroller parking area? Not having to push a stroller (or park them) at WDW, I am unfamiliar with where all the parking areas are, but it would be strange if they happened to be next to the designated smoking area.

I just looked aty the map of Magic Kingdom and you are right, there is no "designated smoking area" right outside the bag check. So I am curious as to why they had trash cans with ashtrays on top of them right there when we visited last week. I had never noticed them on previous trip, but this time there seemed to be someone there smoking everytime we entered the park! And yes the Dawa Bar is right next to the stroller parking for Tusker House.

Also, the main entrance (by the elevators) to our building at Saratoga Springs had trashcans with ash trays on top. There was a family that was there smoking many of the times we returned from the park. It was very frustrating and upsetting to me to carry my 6 month old through a cloud of smoke to get to our room.

This may bother me more than most people since I am from Georgia, where all restaurants and bars have been non-smoking for several years.

Hammer
07-31-2009, 01:24 AM
MODERATER NOTE--

Just a reminder that this thread will not be allowed to evolve into a discussion on Smokers' vs. Non-smokers' rights. Keep the comments related to the location of the designated smoking areas please.

Thank you, Beth. The last thing that is needed is another smokers vs. non-smokers thread as it just becomes a bash fest.

I understand that where the smoking areas are located is not always well placed. Please try to remember, though, that you should be upset with Disney and not take it out on the people who are smoking where they are allowed. I can't tell you the number of times people have made rude comments or gestures at my sister, who is a smoker, when she is smoking in a designated area.

BigWes6
08-01-2009, 12:36 PM
I have noticed over the past couple of years there are fewer places to smoke, so they are in a way making it a controlled environment for smokers .I am a smoker and would not have a problem with designated areas away from the beaten path , which most of the time they are . I do agree that they should be away from stroller parking however .

DizneyRox
08-01-2009, 01:24 PM
Having to smell that smoke is THE worst. In years past it's been pretty bad, but on my most recent trip I didn't notice it as much. At least the designated areas seemed to be better. One that always got me was outside the exit to TT, and I'm not sure if that's designated or just a convenient spot.

The resorts on the other hand, they seem to be in walking paths. BC I think has one along the first walkway from Intl Gateway that leads back towards the villas. Kidani Village is right smack beween the the entrance and the bus stops. And a few others I notice had smoking areas right outside busier exits.

DisneyRN
08-01-2009, 02:41 PM
I understand the frustration of parents/non-smokers not wanting to be around smoke. I too get VERY irritated when people do not adhere to designated smoking areas and just stroll around the park smoking. Very inconsiderate! I actually have never seen a cast member try to "re-direct" these people, though.

That being said, my boyfriend and I are both smokers, and we have already looked at the maps and planned ahead for our trip in December. We are trying to be considerate, because we realize other people don't want to necessarily be around us. But, we also may have quit by then. :thumbsup:

Hammer
08-01-2009, 04:08 PM
That being said, my boyfriend and I are both smokers, and we have already looked at the maps and planned ahead for our trip in December.

Please note, though, that WDW does seem to move smoking areas. We were at WDW in October 2008 and December 2008 and smoking areas were moved between these two trips. Verify with the maps when you arrive that the smoking areas are still there.

Ksmith75
08-01-2009, 04:17 PM
My husband is a smoker and it seems that most of the smoking areas are off the beaten path. There are less of them too...than the last couple of years.Not to many people who are not smokers walk by...as alot of them are out of the way. And smokers deserve shade too...

Granny Jill A
08-03-2009, 02:03 PM
I think they need to make the signs in the parks BIGGER so that smokers will know where the designated areas are located. Maps should answer the question, but some folks can't decipher a map.

At Pop Century the smoking area is right by the main door to the pool and on the sidewalk to the 50's buildings. In bad weather, the smokers huddle around the doors.

If they are going to allow smoking on Disney property, they need to provide adequate shelter for folks.

q105birdman
08-03-2009, 02:16 PM
The smoking areas that bother me the most are on BOTH sides of Cinderella's Castle. When the walkthrough of the castle is closed, the only places to quickly get around the castle are through two smoking sections. Bad planning by someone IMHO...

Lizzy
08-03-2009, 04:42 PM
I am a non smoker, but being that we are outside, I have never been bothered by someone smoking in the parks. My ex husband smoked and we had a difficult time with doing anything because the smoking areas were so far apart from each other at the MK.

My boyfriend smokes now, and I am hoping that the Epcot smoking areas are more convienient to get to so that we can continue on our day after a quick smoke. I completely forgot to think about this when planning our day.

Only 13 days to go! Wooo

Ed
08-03-2009, 06:02 PM
So I am curious as to why they had trash cans with ashtrays on top of them right there when we visited last week... Also, the main entrance (by the elevators) to our building at Saratoga Springs had trashcans with ash trays on top.

I have a theory to explain this:

Picture this; a smoking guest has just driven onto the parking lot of Saratoga Springs, or has just gotten off the monorail/ferry boat/bus at the MK and are smoking as they approach the building/park entrance. They are informed by a guard or a sign that smoking is not permitted in this area.

Which is better;
They stub their smokes out on the ground (or just toss them down, still lit), or
They extinguish it in a conveniently-located ashtray ? :confused:

Daisy'sMom
08-04-2009, 07:37 AM
There is a smoking section right at the entrance of RNRC! Everytime we go over there, the stench is terrible. (Sorry to smokers, but this reformed one hates the smell):mickey:

There is also one in World Showcase, near American Adventure, right along the path.

DisneyFr33k
08-04-2009, 07:59 AM
This isn't in the parks, but my frustration during our last trip was at POP. We stayed in the 50's building and walked to the dining area several times a day. One of the main smoking areas was just to the left of the main entrance to the store/dining area. We had to walk past it (and a smaller designated smoking area) every day. Our DD is extremly sensitive to smoke (and all our malls/restaurants in our area are smoke-free so she has not been exposed to it as I was growing up) and would gag and cough audibly. I was afraid she was attracting negative attention!

TheVBs
08-04-2009, 09:04 AM
I actually have never seen a cast member try to "re-direct" these people, though.

I've seen CMs redirect twice. The first time I had to go get one to address a smoker who was just hanging out in a greeting area, and the second time I saw one catch one of those people who are bold enough to walk through the parks smoking.

But, we also may have quit by then. :thumbsup:

Just wanted to wish you good luck! :mickey:

lighteningqueen
08-04-2009, 09:32 AM
They didn't enforce it too much last Dec. People walking all over the park with one in their hand or mouth. Just nasty looking and nasty smelling. This is Disney for heavens sake. When there is a smoking area the smokers are standing outside of it.. I guess it doesn't mean them. There an exception to not have to go to the special area. I am guessing...I hope the poster above really quits before they go. It will more enjoyable to them if they spent more time in parks and not in smoke spots. Good Luck to you and thank you for at least proposing that you will have quit by then.

Disney Doll
08-04-2009, 01:12 PM
I am a non smoker, but being that we are outside, I have never been bothered by someone smoking in the parks. My ex husband smoked and we had a difficult time with doing anything because the smoking areas were so far apart from each other at the MK.

My boyfriend smokes now, and I am hoping that the Epcot smoking areas are more convienient to get to so that we can continue on our day after a quick smoke. I completely forgot to think about this when planning our day.

Only 13 days to go! Wooo

My husband is an ex-smoker and we did WDW trips back when he smoked. In my opinion, there are plenty of smoking spots and they are not hard to find. It's a family park so DH never found the smoking restrictions unreasonable, but he's the type who would naturally remove himself from a crowd before lighting up even if there wasn't a policy.

I think Disney has done a great job hiding the smoking spots (let's face it ash trays are not pretty), but also keeping them reasonably close to the action. We've stumbled across several nice spots that were designated smoking areas and they looked like nice places to take a break. Now if they would just do a better job enforcing the rules.

There is also one in World Showcase, near American Adventure, right along the path.

Actually it's supposed to be back by the heritage shop, but unfortunately it seems that lots of smokers figure if they are near a smoking area it's good enough.

Hammer
08-04-2009, 01:36 PM
Actually it's supposed to be back by the heritage shop, but unfortunately it seems that lots of smokers figure if they are near a smoking area it's good enough.

I can't speak about that exact spot, but as I mentioned earlier Disney does tend to move some of the smoking areas, though that seems to have been something that has started to happen in the last year- 18 months. Since the park maps pretty much have the symbol in a general area, they will move the ashtray trash cans around. Unfortunately, it has been our experience when we ask a CM for directions to where is the designated smoking area, some CMs unfortunately do not have any idea. We eventually find the smoking area, but not through any assistance from a CM but our own due diligence.

Ian
08-04-2009, 02:35 PM
I never really notice it too much. Every once in awhile we'll walk past a smoking area and the smell will waft over, but it's never been enough for me to really have an issue with it.

That being said, I really don't understand why a family-oriented company like Disney ... and one that's so health conscious that they've made it difficult to get cheeseburgers and fries in their theme parks ... and one that professes to be all about the environment ... hasn't just banned smoking in their parks entirely.

It's not like it hasn't been done in other places. It's just time.

Hammer
08-04-2009, 03:00 PM
Everyone, in case you forgot, Beth posted on the first page-

MODERATER NOTE--

Granny Jill A
08-04-2009, 03:01 PM
That being said, I really don't understand why a family-oriented company like Disney hasn't just banned smoking in their parks entirely.
It's not like it hasn't been done in other places. It's just time.

I visited the Omaha Zoo earlier this year, and they have banned smoking throughout. It didn't seem to impact the crowds at all, and it made my visit so much more pleasant.

Maybe someday Disney will take that step.

Ed
08-04-2009, 03:19 PM
That being said, I really don't understand why a family-oriented company like Disney ... hasn't just banned smoking in their parks entirely.

I think the answer to that is pretty simple. I occasionally hear survey results that say about 20% of adults in the US are smokers, and the percentage is higher for European adults.

That tran$late$ to a rather large group of potential gue$t$ who may have $econd thought$ about vi$iting the park$ and re$ort$ if they feel unwelcome.

:spend:

Stich8818
08-04-2009, 04:21 PM
Here is the thing I quit smoking a while back and my DW still does so we have to do the search for the areas. On what the op was saying that, there are some really odd spots for the smoking areas. But then there are some good ones. But as one of the ones I have seen that was a bad placement was the one I think by Sir Mickey's . That is right on the main walkway..that one to me I kind of had to scratch my head on.

Ian
08-04-2009, 05:31 PM
I think the answer to that is pretty simple. I occasionally hear survey results that say about 20% of adults in the US are smokers, and the percentage is higher for European adults.

That tran$late$ to a rather large group of potential gue$t$ who may have $econd thought$ about vi$iting the park$ and re$ort$ if they feel unwelcome.

:spend:Yeah, it's around 21% ... a number which is actually holding steady and even climbing a little bit (which I find to be completely shocking, but that's for another thread and another time). I'm sure the overseas numbers are even higher, since smoking doesn't have the stigma in most countries that it has in the U.S.

But the money argument hasn't really borne out in places where smoking has been banned. Most bars, restaurants, zoos, parks, stores, malls, etc. have seen no noticeable downturn in business after eliminating smoking. In fact, many bars and restaurants have experienced minor upticks in patronage as people who previously opted not to go so as to avoid being poisoned by the smoke are returning.

Besides, I'm only saying it should be banned in the theme parks. It's not like you wouldn't be able to smoke in your room or something.

Ed
08-04-2009, 05:47 PM
Besides, I'm only saying it should be banned in the theme parks. It's not like you wouldn't be able to smoke in your room or something.

Uhmmmm...news flash.... WDW has banned smoking in ALL their resort rooms (including balconies) for a couple years now...and violators can be nailed with a fee of $250 or more. :smokin:

Hammer
08-04-2009, 05:54 PM
Here is the thing I quit smoking a while back and my DW still does so we have to do the search for the areas. On what the op was saying that, there are some really odd spots for the smoking areas. But then there are some good ones. But as one of the ones I have seen that was a bad placement was the one I think by Sir Mickey's . That is right on the main walkway..that one to me I kind of had to scratch my head on.

That's the wierd thing. Some of those spots are actually new spots when Disney moved the smoking areas. Someone earlier mentioned the smoking area in the pathway to RNRC. That smoking area used to be located in back of the ice cream place (it was the one my sister frequented in DHS), which was much less out of the foot traffic for RNRC then where it is located now. Why move it to an area which will bother more people :confused: ? They did the same thing with the one my sister liked in AK. You had to climb down stairs to get to it (sign directed you to the smoking area). That one disappeared as well and they placed one right in the walking path to Everest :confused:.

Regarding the original intent of this thread, Disney needs to make sure that the smoking areas are a) clearly marked, b) as much off the beaten path as they can be, and c) the CMs know where the smoking areas are located and be able to direct people to that area (I think this is the most important point).

faline
08-04-2009, 08:06 PM
As a former smoker (many years ago), for some reason, I find myself particularly intolerant of smoke. I, too, have had a difficult time with some of the locations that Disney has designated as smoking. One thing in particular, I noticed, was at Animal Kingdom Lodge. The smoking area was located between the front door of the Lodge and the bus stops. Oddly (or perhaps on purpose) the only way to avoid walking through the smoking location was to detour through the gift shop. Hmmm! Disney wouldn't have done that on purpose, would they?

Ian
08-04-2009, 08:50 PM
Uhmmmm...news flash.... WDW has banned smoking in ALL their resort rooms (including balconies) for a couple years now...and violators can be nailed with a fee of $250 or more. :smokin:See?? That even further reinforces my point! They banned it in their own hotels and balconies (an outdoor area) so why not in the theme parks??

Actually talking about this reminds me that last time we stayed at SSR I smoked a cigar on the balcony. I guess that was a no-no, huh? :blush:

Giggy
08-04-2009, 09:28 PM
The difference between hotel rooms and the parks could be to do with the former is an enclosed space with 4 walls and a roof. In Britain smoking is now banned in public enclosed spaces, including pubs, resturaunts, bars and sports stadia. Another issue could be that in a hotel room smoking would lead to the smokey smell being left on the furniture and this can be difficult to get out before the next guest.

Admittedly I can't recall coming across smokers or smoking areas a lot at WDW but I can see smoking being eliminated from the parks completely at some point in the future. Though not at WDW we sometimes had problems before when we watch our local soccer team (AFC Telford United) as my sister has asthma and people often seemed to sit in the seat in front of her and smoke. Thankfully due to the laws over here that isn't a problem anymore as people can't smoke in the stands.

Hammer
08-04-2009, 10:10 PM
See?? That even further reinforces my point! They banned it in their own hotels and balconies (an outdoor area) so why not in the theme parks??

Actually talking about this reminds me that last time we stayed at SSR I smoked a cigar on the balcony. I guess that was a no-no, huh? :blush:

Ian, it is not banned at hotels as you put it, as that implies that it is not allowed anywhere at the hotel, which is false. There are designated smoking areas at every hotel. The balcony is not one of those places, though.

As Ed pointed out, while the percentage of smokers in the US and some European countries is around 20% (which is still a significant number), many countries in South America as well as some Asian countries the percentage of smokers is much higher than that. Unlike the examples people gave of their local stadiums and zoos, WDW is an international destination and needs to find a way to balance the needs of a diversified clientèle.

Which brings us back to the original poster's comments on where they placed some of the smoking areas in the theme parks. For the most part, these spots are generally placed off the beaten path with some exceptions. As I stated earlier, Disney needs to make sure CMs are informed of where the smoking areas are located and enforce the rules, without acting like the Gestapo.

Greenlawler
08-05-2009, 01:10 PM
Yet another ex-smoker here, long long ago almost 12 years no smoke....funny thing though I enjoy the smell as long as its not too heavy.

The smoking area I always notice is behind Mickey's Toon Town Fair, because that area ( aka "the Teardrop") is a common location for characters to suddenly appear. Let me just say the smokers are just as uncomfortable as they have to deal with the dirty looks even though they are in "their area"

Anyways, I see people every year trying to hide at the parks with their heaters (smoker slang for cigarette) cuffed by their hands. I don't get mad becuase they are smoking I just get mad becuase they are breaking the rules.

Smoking maybe something people are turned off by, but blatant disregard for the rules and policies is just plain repulsive!

lighteningqueen
08-05-2009, 01:22 PM
Greenlawler you are right on. Just pure rudeness. They or some of them think it doesn't mean them. A poster a while back said that of her father that said they didn't mean them. A CM asked him nicely to put it out or go to a smoking area and he refused so they escorted him out. I wish more of the Cm's would do that. Smokers think they can cup their hands and no one will smell it. Yea right. It stinks..... I used to smoke very little almost 28 years ago and believe me if I ever had really known how trashy I looked smoking and how bad I smelled I would have been so embarrassed. And only about 8 per day. I saw someone leaving not believe the walmart gas stop with 3 packs of cigs and could not believe what they paid for them and several in line left with 3 each. If you add that up and a 24 pack of beer It takes a huge chunk out of a pay check..If they didn't pay that for their habits they could go to Disney many times a year..

Disney Doll
08-05-2009, 02:27 PM
I can't speak about that exact spot, but as I mentioned earlier Disney does tend to move some of the smoking areas, though that seems to have been something that has started to happen in the last year- 18 months. Since the park maps pretty much have the symbol in a general area, they will move the ashtray trash cans around. Unfortunately, it has been our experience when we ask a CM for directions to where is the designated smoking area, some CMs unfortunately do not have any idea. We eventually find the smoking area, but not through any assistance from a CM but our own due diligence.

I'm sure they do move the spots from time to time, BUT I still seeing lots and lots of smokers who are not in a designated area and not because they don't know where the designated area is. I mentioned that DH used to smoke and we actually witnessed a guy come up to a smoking area, ask another smoker for a light, and then proceed to leave and smoke closer to the main walkway. It's like even some smokers don't enjoy the smell???

The cultural difference is one thing that may explain some of the rule breaking. I bet there are plenty of international guests who don't realize that it's rude to smoke in a crowd.

I for one think WDW would be fine if it were smoke free, but with the rampant disregard for the rules now I'm not sure if that would even help. Really it comes down to enforcement. No matter what the rule is, if there is no consequence people will take advantage.

EmmMOM2
08-05-2009, 02:33 PM
Like the PP stated on the first page.

We frequent AKL and I too was amazed that the smoking area was RIGHT OUTSIDE the front door of the hotel to the left where you HAVE to walk to get to the buses.
You would think they would put it closer the the parking lot area then the bus stop.
Though I AM sensitive to smoke as its a pet peeve and i have mild asthma...

tink2006
08-05-2009, 02:47 PM
I saw someone leaving not believe the walmart gas stop with 3 packs of cigs and could not believe what they paid for them and several in line left with 3 each. If you add that up and a 24 pack of beer It takes a huge chunk out of a pay check..If they didn't pay that for their habits they could go to Disney many times a year..

I think people have the right to spend their money as they see fit. Just because they do not want to spend it the same way you do, does not mean your way is better. This is a free country where people can spend their money as they wish. Also, why do you think a smoker is automatically a beer drinker?

MNNHFLTX
08-05-2009, 04:47 PM
Last Moderator Warning--

Once again we are straying off-track here. This is discussion about the placement of the smoking areas at the parks--not about how it should be banned or not. And it is definitely not a discussion for broad generalizations about how people that smoke look, act, spend money, etc. Please be sensitive to the feelings of those who do not deserve to be lumped into a stereotype just because they smoke (or push strollers or use ECV's or any of the other hot buttons here on INTERCOT).

Any further posts that are off-topic will be removed.

KAT1811
08-06-2009, 08:48 AM
As far as the placement of the smoking areas go the only one that I can reacll really bothering me is the one in Frontierland over near Big Thunder Mountain. It is on the "dock" wher all of the rocking chairs are. I know many may love that it is off to the side and out of the way but I would really love to sit on the dock and rock one of my little ones in my arms while watching the raft go back and forth to Tom Sawyer Island. It is just such a great location! Maybe that'll be one of the locations they move this year! Not likely I know but one can dream!!!

TheVBs
08-06-2009, 12:37 PM
It's interesting to note that a few people have mentioned how awful the placement of the smoking areas are at the resorts. We expereinced it at ASMu, someone else mentioned AKL and I think there was one other. Can anyone comment on other resorts? Do they all have smoking areas right on the main paths to the bus stop/food courts/pools etc? Why would Disney make such an odd choice?:confused:

Disney Doll
08-06-2009, 01:08 PM
[QUOTE=EmmMOM2;1934337]Like the PP stated on the first page.

We frequent AKL and I too was amazed that the smoking area was RIGHT OUTSIDE the front door of the hotel to the left where you HAVE to walk to get to the buses.
You would think they would put it closer the the parking lot area then the bus stop.
Though I AM sensitive to smoke as its a pet peeve and i have mild asthma...[/QUOTE

Great, we are visiting AKL next month. Guess I can look forward to walking through the haze. Ugh! The explanation someone offered earlier about having the ashtrays near the entrances make sense. Otherwise you'd probably just get a pile of butts on the ground. Seems like that philosophy accommodates the smokers though when they are the minority.

I've never been a complainer, but the smoking issue just drives me nuts especially now that I have a toddler and am expecting #2. I think after this next trip I will be writing some letters about the locations of some of these smoking spots. I mean really, I ought to be able to bring my family to WDW without having to have them breath poison.

Hammer
08-06-2009, 03:02 PM
Great, we are visiting AKL next month. Guess I can look forward to walking through the haze. Ugh! The explanation someone offered earlier about having the ashtrays near the entrances make sense. Otherwise you'd probably just get a pile of butts on the ground. Seems like that philosophy accommodates the smokers though when they are the minority.

I've never been a complainer, but the smoking issue just drives me nuts especially now that I have a toddler and am expecting #2. I think after this next trip I will be writing some letters about the locations of some of these smoking spots. I mean really, I ought to be able to bring my family to WDW without having to have them breath poison.

Michelle, I understand your complaint, but as someone pointed out, with the large number of international travelers and the fact that there still is a percentage of people in the US who smoke, Disney does not want to lose money from that segment of the population either. It is a really hard thing for a company to balance. I agree that at the hotels they could put them in better locations, but you have to ask where? If there isn't a clear path to these spots, people are going to have a hard time locating the areas. Plus, you have to take the savannahs into consideration. There needs to be some way to compromise that will satisfy the most people.

Actually, at AKL, they used to have a smoking area at a back door behind Jiko. I thought that was a better spot than the one in the front, but Disney did away with the one in back. The lack of smoking areas at AKL (I think there are only 2 areas) is a reason why my sister does not want to stay there.

TheVBs
08-06-2009, 07:35 PM
I would think though, if the estimate is that 20% of people are smokers, that having the smoking areas on the main paths at the hotels would not satisfy most people. It would mean the other 80% have to pass by them to get to the bus/food court, etc.

Since it's come up a few times, I'm really curious to know how many smokers would totally boycott Disney if it became fully non-smoking? Is that ok to ask here? If not, I'll totally understand if a mod removes this paragraph. :blush:

DeniseMB
08-06-2009, 08:07 PM
I am a smoker. I smoke in designated areas only. I do feel these areas should be off the beaten path.

I do get offended when I am in those areas when someone has to make a rude remark to me. I wouldn't think of smoking anywhere else.

I wouldn't comment to someone who had a bottle of perfume on them that I found offensive.

Hope that made sense. :mickey:

Mickey91
08-06-2009, 08:45 PM
I have mixed emotions about this. Although I would love to see smoking completely banned in the parks, I am greatful the smoking areas are "off the beaten path". But, I hate that the smoking areas are now in all of the quiet paths and serene areas of the park. As a nonsmoker, I too would love to be able to enjoy these spaces. I guess I want my cake and eat it too.:blush:

Hammer
08-06-2009, 10:37 PM
I would think though, if the estimate is that 20% of people are smokers, that having the smoking areas on the main paths at the hotels would not satisfy most people. It would mean the other 80% have to pass by them to get to the bus/food court, etc.

The 20% was US smokers, not a worldwide percentage. The percentage is higher for the rest of the world, which is where the problem would be in making all of the WDW resort non-smoking as WDW does get many foreign visitors. Not to mention it would be next to impossible to have the manpower to enforce these rules. They have problems now to have CMs enforce the rules as they currently stand.

TheVBs
08-07-2009, 03:46 PM
The 20% was US smokers, not a worldwide percentage. The percentage is higher for the rest of the world, which is where the problem would be in making all of the WDW resort non-smoking as WDW does get many foreign visitors. Not to mention it would be next to impossible to have the manpower to enforce these rules. They have problems now to have CMs enforce the rules as they currently stand.

That is true, I was not taking into account that the percentage is higher in other countries and that some percentage of those people do come vacation at WDW. I know in the UK they have banned smoking in all public areas (I think someone already mentioned that here), and while WDW is a huge UK destination, I know they're not the only country that brings visitors.

Obviously if WDW were entirely non-smoking, someone would break the rules, just like some people break the rules now. I don't think it would be any more prevelant than it is now though. I guess I'm assuming that the number of people willing to break the rules and get expelled from the parks is fairly low and would remain consistent. Therefore Disney wouldn't need more manpower to enfoce the issue.

alicia524luvstw
08-07-2009, 05:07 PM
I don't smoke but I am not bothered by walking past a smoking section. Ya, it smells and yes its quite unhealthy but I am sure there is no risk of lung cancer. There are many harmful chemicals in the air we breathe and being exposed to a cig for a second won't kill me. Disney needs to have smoking sections to accommodate the people who use them. After all it's not illegal. Everyone has a right to enjoy their vacation whether they smoke or not. I wish people would be a little more tolerant and not so quick to pass judgement.

Georgesgirl1
08-07-2009, 09:39 PM
After all it's not illegal. Everyone has a right to enjoy their vacation whether they smoke or not. I wish people would be a little more tolerant and not so quick to pass judgement.

My post was not meant to be intolerant. I have many friends and family members who smoke, but they know how I feel about them smoking around my child or holding him after they have smoked. That is a big no no in my book!

Yes, smokers have the right to enjoy their vacation the way they wish too, but so do I. I simply wish that Disney would not place any of the smoking areas in places that I am forced to walk by or through with my 7 month old!

wdwnomad
08-07-2009, 10:07 PM
No one is forced to walk by or through the smoking areas. The areas are marked on the park marks. The park maps aren't just to show smokers where they need to go. They are also there for people to avoid if need be.

Greenlawler
08-08-2009, 11:27 PM
No one is forced to walk by or through the smoking areas. The areas are marked on the park marks. The park maps aren't just to show smokers where they need to go. They are also there for people to avoid if need be.

This is not entirely accurate. The only way to the teardrop is through a narrow smoking area.

Georgesgirl1
08-09-2009, 05:31 PM
This is not entirely accurate. The only way to the teardrop is through a narrow smoking area.

Yes, that was the point of this post...in many cases, the only way to get to a place (or the only way to get to a place without going WAY out of the way) is to go right by or through a smoking area. This included the entrance to our building at SSR.

Disney Doll
08-10-2009, 03:21 PM
Obviously if WDW were entirely non-smoking, someone would break the rules, just like some people break the rules now. I don't think it would be any more prevelant than it is now though. I guess I'm assuming that the number of people willing to break the rules and get expelled from the parks is fairly low and would remain consistent. Therefore Disney wouldn't need more manpower to enfoce the issue.

You assume they would enforce the rules. ;)
Disney seems very reluctant to ruffle feathers and confront any guest so my guess is that the enforcement would be no better than it is now. I would be shocked to see anyone thrown out of the park for smoking.

Disney Doll
08-10-2009, 03:35 PM
Michelle, I understand your complaint, but as someone pointed out, with the large number of international travelers and the fact that there still is a percentage of people in the US who smoke, Disney does not want to lose money from that segment of the population either. It is a really hard thing for a company to balance. I agree that at the hotels they could put them in better locations, but you have to ask where? If there isn't a clear path to these spots, people are going to have a hard time locating the areas. Plus, you have to take the savannahs into consideration. There needs to be some way to compromise that will satisfy the most people.

Actually, at AKL, they used to have a smoking area at a back door behind Jiko. I thought that was a better spot than the one in the front, but Disney did away with the one in back. The lack of smoking areas at AKL (I think there are only 2 areas) is a reason why my sister does not want to stay there.

I understand that the areas need to be easy to find, but I guess I still disagree. If you are a smoker it is your responsibility to find the smoking area. You don't just pee on the ground because you couldn't find a restroom, right? It's the same thing in my mind. You get a map, you ask for directions, and you pay attention to your surroundings. Honestly I don't remember it being that hard. When DH smoked I never remember not being able to find a spot. It all comes down to consideration for others even if it may not be the most convenient thing for each individual. The smoking areas don't need to be at the building entrance. Disney needs to do a better job of enforcing the rules. I bet more people would invest the effort into locating out of the way spots if there were real consequences.

AmandaChan
08-10-2009, 03:40 PM
Yeah, the one back by Splash Mountain always has at least 20 people sitting at it smoking. It doesn't matter if you try to walk as far away as it as possible you still are able to smell it. We just stop going back around that way. And what about people that are allergic to smoke? That's enough to bother them.

TheVBs
08-10-2009, 05:22 PM
You assume they would enforce the rules. ;)
Disney seems very reluctant to ruffle feathers and confront any guest so my guess is that the enforcement would be no better than it is now. I would be shocked to see anyone thrown out of the park for smoking.

You're right. It would be pretty unlikely that someone would be thrown out. But, I have seen CMs address smokers outside of smoking areas twice, once because I just happened to catch it, and once because I let someone know. They were most definitely not timid about it. They were polite but very firm. I would expect the same type of enforcement if the parks were non-smoking.

Boost
08-11-2009, 10:03 PM
Is it just me or do there seem to be more people smoking wherever they care to in the parks? I have never seen a CM say anything to them when this happens...

Gooftroop5
08-12-2009, 01:29 PM
I agree some are in a bad area. I don't know if it is a designated smoking spot but people always seem to be smoking it in the benches across from the Aloha Island where you get the dole whips. We sat closer to the entrances to the tree houses because it always smells like cigarette smoke in that area. I am allergic to it.

Dd saw a couple of people lighting up and asked about it. They weren't in a designated smoking area. I said only loud enough for her to hear don't worry about it cause it was about to rain & that would put them out. :secret: She just laughed.

It was a relief though to get to disney. After traveling from NY where you don't have to worry about smoking & non smoking sections it was nasty going into restaurants where you could smoke. :sick: No matter where you sit you can still smell it.

wdwnomad
08-12-2009, 10:49 PM
I agree some are in a bad area. I don't know if it is a designated smoking spot but people always seem to be smoking it in the benches across from the Aloha Island where you get the dole whips. We sat closer to the entrances to the tree houses because it always smells like cigarette smoke in that area. I am allergic to it.

That's a smoking area.

Seasonscraps
08-12-2009, 11:50 PM
It was a relief though to get to disney. After traveling from NY where you don't have to worry about smoking & non smoking sections it was nasty going into restaurants where you could smoke. :sick: No matter where you sit you can still smell it.

Where in NY? I thought smoking was prohibited in indoor bars & restaurants for at least 5 years now. I know there are some guidelines for smoking in establishments with outdoor space but for the most part it's against the law.

Gooftroop5
08-13-2009, 12:35 PM
Where in NY? I thought smoking was prohibited in indoor bars & restaurants for at least 5 years now. I know there are some guidelines for smoking in establishments with outdoor space but for the most part it's against the law.

It is banned in NY. No smoking in anybuilding including clubs like VFW, American legions, etc if you have a paid bartender. Several places got fined for it in our area. Most sporting venues you can only smoke in designated spots. My dh's work you have to go outside & they have one spot that is away from the doors. If it's raining you have to either get wet or go to your car.

We don't have to worry about smoking & non-smoking because it isn't allowed in NYS. The further south you get the restaurants have smoking sections. The hotels have smoking rooms too. We stopped at one hotel & it was suppose to be a non-smoking room. It stunk like someone had been smoking in there.We think it was the housekeeping that smoked in the room. They switched our room. however people were allowed to walk thru the halls smoking.

So once you get to Disney it is like being in NY State no smoking except in designated area.

Seasonscraps
08-13-2009, 12:53 PM
I'm sorry - I completely misread your post. Nevermind. :blush:

Gooftroop5
08-13-2009, 01:00 PM
I'm sorry - I completely misread your post. Nevermind. :blush:

That's ok I do it all the time. ;)