PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Dishes @ These Restaurants?

MistressGracey
07-28-2009, 02:23 PM
Hi all!

This year we booked a Magic Your Way package with FREE dining plan! We are very excited because we normally burger/dog it all week with a couple of exceptions to save $$. This year we get to eat at six table service restaurants, most for the first time, some we haven't eaten at for a number of years.

I know tastes differ from person to person, but I was wondering if I could get some opinions on some outstanding dishes to try at the buffets or to order from the menus for the restaurants we are visiting. They are (all dinner):

Boma
Rose & Crown Dining Room
T-Rex Cafe
Ohana
Biergarten
50's Prime Time Cafe

53 days and counting!:thumbsup:

Ms. Mode
07-28-2009, 02:48 PM
Can't go wrong with the Fish and Chips at the Rose and Crown, but we tried the Bangers and Mash and the Chicken...all were wonderful!

Have you tried the SciFi Dine-in Theater? Great for a late lunch/early dinner.

LibertyTreeGal
07-28-2009, 02:51 PM
Boma -- try everything you aren't allergic to :cloud9: -- I hate Indian curry but the sweet African curry is very nice. They had wonderful salads and soups. Being allergic to seafood I had to pass on most but still came out very happy.

R&C -- I adore their fish and chips

Ohana -- served family style so no choices (I hated everything but the salad tbh, the meat was terribly overcooked and dry)

Biergarten -- buffet, pretty standard, bland fare, I can't remember anything standing out

50's PTC -- the Pot Roast was wonderful, my dh still raves about it

afowl1017
07-28-2009, 02:55 PM
I have been to prime time many times, I usually get the pot roast, a favorite that takes me back home, and my husband always, always gets the meat loaf! However I know many people say that the fried chicken is their favorite.

As for the buffets, I have only been to a few and love trying new things. They also rotate dishes but If there is a chef out at the buffet don't be afraid to ask them their favorite...and they are usually never wrong. When I went to Boma I did just this and He was very helpful in explaining the dishes and of course suggested his favorite... unfortunately I can not remember the name of this very yummy native dish.

Whatever you chose, Have a wonderful food adventure!

FantasmicJ
07-28-2009, 03:05 PM
We ate at Rose & Crown in May and I had their Steak with mashed potatoes. It was very very good. The potatoes were absolutely amazing and made the meal for me... And I'm not really very into mashed potatoes usually. The steak was done perfectly and was delicious.

Missy_Mouses_Dad
07-28-2009, 03:09 PM
We always go to Prime Time Cafe. DD14 loves the meatloaf, DW always gets pot roast, and I have chicken wherever we go. DD says the desserts are "fantabulous".

WishingStar2006
07-28-2009, 03:13 PM
As a side note, I don't think T-Rex is on the Dining Plan...perhaps someone knows for certain but I did research on it before booking my ADR's and it was listed as not being part of the dining plan, just like Rainforest Cafe.

tazlikesrobots
07-28-2009, 03:15 PM
Although it is an appetizer, the trexadillas at T-rex are very good. My wife and I split an order along with house salads and it was enough for us :)

LoriSan
07-28-2009, 03:54 PM
Boma has a peanut rice that was amazing

50's PTC - for my beverage, I got a chocolate malt milkshake. It was one of the best milkshakes I've ever had!

MistressGracey
07-28-2009, 04:47 PM
Ms. Mode-we actually have eaten @ Sci-Fi and loved it!

Wishing Star-T-Rex is actually the one meal we are paying for out of pocket, as it is not on the dining plan.

I was leaning toward trying the fish n' chips at Rose & Crown, but was worried they would taste like the ones we ate at Cookes of Dublin, which were utterly devoid of flavor.

Gosh, I'm getting hungry....:eat:

DisneyPrincess21
07-28-2009, 05:06 PM
Hi all!

This year we booked a Magic Your Way package with FREE dining plan! We are very excited because we normally burger/dog it all week with a couple of exceptions to save $$.

Congrats on your Free Dining plan, We got the same one! We also are usually on a burger/dog budget and this year thanks to free dining we are getting 7Ts 7Cs and 7Snacks!! We are trying
Ohana, Le Cellier, Liberty Tree Tavern, Cinderella's Royal Table, Chef Mickey's All for the first time because we could never afford them before! I can't wait!

:santa3: only 129 days to go for me! :santa3:

MistressGracey
07-28-2009, 05:20 PM
Congrats on your Free Dining plan, We got the same one! We also are usually on a burger/dog budget and this year thanks to free dining we are getting 7Ts 7Cs and 7Snacks!! We are trying
Ohana, Le Cellier, Liberty Tree Tavern, Cinderella's Royal Table, Chef Mickey's All for the first time because we could never afford them before! I can't wait!

:santa3: only 129 days to go for me! :santa3:

Oh, wow, congrats to you as well! It will be a real treat for both our families it seems! My DH has dubbed this our "eating vacation" because we are so psyched about our dining plan!:thumbsup:

DisneyPrincess21
07-28-2009, 05:28 PM
My DH has dubbed this our "eating vacation" because we are so psyched about our dining plan!:thumbsup:

HAHA you sound like me and my family. I told my mom to make sure she packs the stretchy clothes, and she said "yeah, but we do so much walking, we will burn it off" and I told her "whatever you gotta tell yourself mom!"

It is also my 2 Niece's first ever trip to WDW so I am glad we have free DDP and we don't have to budget, That way we can really give them a great experience.

Hope you guys have a great eating-cation! :eat:

MistressGracey
07-28-2009, 05:58 PM
LOL, Disney Princess! Your mom's logic is the exact same thing we have been trying to tell ourselves over here to justify all those desserts!!!

SBETigg
07-28-2009, 06:46 PM
Boma: Love the salmon and all of the soups are fantastic. We start with soup and move on from there. They had a seafood coconut curry stew that was amazing, among other selections.

Rose & Crown Dining Room: The fish and chips are good but not all that outstanding, pretty standard. Of course, you can't beat fish and chips in the UK. The bangers and mash is surprisingly good most times (but I did get a clunker serving once).

Ohana: Love the chicken wings! So so good. But it's all good. The actual meat skewers aren't the highlight. The apps, sides, and dessert were the best part. Do save room for the phenomenal dessert.

Biergarten: The atmosphere and the band make it worthwhile. The food, eh. Pretty heavy, glunky, mediocre. The spaetzel is good and I love the desserts (esp. Black Forest Cake).

Haven't been to:
T-Rex Cafe
50's Prime Time Cafe

dream6
07-28-2009, 07:51 PM
Be adventurous at Boma! I tried so many new things that I probably wouldn't have picked for myself and I found some new things that I liked! The best part is that if you try it and don't like it, you can get up and try something different. This has become one of my favorite restaurants, and I hope you have a great experience!

As for the other restaurants, I had the fried chicken at 50's Prime Time, which was pretty good. And I think it's called an open faced sandwich at the Rose N Crown - which I didn't really like. Disney has taught me that I like certain African foods, but I really don't like British food. ;)

MistressGracey
07-29-2009, 05:00 PM
Thanks all! I am really psyched to try the "sticky toffee pudding" at Rose & Crown, as I am huge Harry Potter fan as well as a Disney Nerd, and this sounds like something they would serve at a Hogwart's Feast!!:blush:

betteratmk
07-29-2009, 05:50 PM
As a side note, I don't think T-Rex is on the Dining Plan...perhaps someone knows for certain but I did research on it before booking my ADR's and it was listed as not being part of the dining plan, just like Rainforest Cafe.

No, T- Rex is not on the dining plan! great choices, we love the Crystal Palace, Chef Mickeys,Ch efs de France, the Coral Reef, Kona Cafe, Liberty Tree, there are sooo many!!

SuzieN
07-30-2009, 11:55 AM
Just to let you know, I found the fish at R&C to be pretty bland and somewhat rubbery in texture. We have excellent haddock fish frys here in WNY and I just don't think anything else can come close!!

PlutoPlanet
07-30-2009, 12:09 PM
The soups at Boma are excellent.
Try the red cabbage at Biergarten.

wonderalice23
07-30-2009, 12:54 PM
T-Rex - Footprints Flatbread! (it's an app, but it worked as an entree for me!)

Biergarten - I believe it is listed as a marinated roast beef - but in my family we call it Sauerbraten! Also there was a beef stew I got the recipe for - outstanding!

My fiancee and I always order the fried chicken at 50's prime time, always wonderful. We usually share both dishes - one new and one old favorite! :thumbsup:

Belle_0717
07-31-2009, 12:49 PM
DH & I have only eaten at Boma, Rose & Crown Dining Room, T-Rex Cafe, Ohana and 50's Prime Time Cafe.

At Boma, I love the combo of mashed white & sweet potatoes and the boboti. We've eaten there for breakfast & dinner. The desserts are great too.

Rose & Crown we ate at in 2004. I don't remember much. I think I had chicken. We've not made it back.

T-Rex was on the family trip. I think I had a veggie burger or chicken something. Can't really remember. The nacho appetizer was good.

O'hana - for both breakfast and dinner. I liked everything but the sausage (not a sausage person). The character interaction at breakfast was one of the best.

50's: too many meals there. I remember getting the chicken pot pie, meatloaf, pot roast, stuffed peppers. All were great. LOVE THE FRIES!

Hope I've helped.

:mickey: 103 days til the magic :mickey:

MistressGracey
08-01-2009, 02:26 PM
Indeed, you've all been most helpful. As it's now August 1st, I can officially say I will be putting your sound dining advice to work for me next month!

Thanks to all!:mickey:

antngoof89
08-02-2009, 01:48 AM
Hi all!

This year we booked a Magic Your Way package with FREE dining plan! We are very excited because we normally burger/dog it all week with a couple of exceptions to save $$. This year we get to eat at six table service restaurants, most for the first time, some we haven't eaten at for a number of years.

I know tastes differ from person to person, but I was wondering if I could get some opinions on some outstanding dishes to try at the buffets or to order from the menus for the restaurants we are visiting. They are (all dinner):

Boma
Rose & Crown Dining Room
T-Rex Cafe
Ohana
Biergarten
50's Prime Time Cafe

It's hard to say with these places, at least the three I've been to. Boma has great steak and awesome dessert. That is just a great place to enjoy and all you can eat.

Ohana..... all you can eat, AMAZING!! The wings are fantastic and so is the turkey. Also some of the best salad dressing I've ever had. That place is a treat, you'll eat more than you ever thought you could force down.

50's prime time is great food, but more of the atmosphere and fun for me. I love the chicken pot pie and the fried chicken, I'd pick the fried chicken if I was you.

ENJOY those meals. Those places are just fantastic!

jonahbear2006
08-02-2009, 04:06 AM
Boma- loved the fufu, couscous, all the desserts
(only thing I really didn't like was the green beans. I used Fructis on my hair, and whatever fruit is in those beans is also in the hair stuff cause they tasted like Garnier Fructis hair products to me.)

Ohana- Everything was amazing but my fav. was their Salad dressing, the wontons, and mein noodles. I was stuffed before the meat came out.lol

50's Prime Time Cafe- best milkshake on earth...as smooth as silk. We had the fried chicken and mashed potatos and really did taste like grammas home cooking.