PDA

View Full Version : Interesting thing about upgrades - funny story

LauraByTheSea
07-27-2009, 04:34 PM
Not sure if anyone remembers or not, that I had mentioned in another post that I'm the revenue manager for a resort in a major hotel chain... When we were on the topic of upgrades/discounts - people not comfortable asking, think it's unfair when people get them, etc. and many people said "well it's Disney, they don't do it the same way" (which I always knew anyway)... Well, I just had a phone call at work from a woman who wanted some more info about our resort. She said that her travel agent reccomended us and 2 others. Then she asked me straight out if I would match the price at the one of the 3, which was a price below ours for this time of year (or any time for that matter). And she no less than 5 times in our 10 minute conversation told me that her husband was the GM at a DISNEY resort. :mickey:

So there you have it... Even Disney peeps are ok with asking for a discount. Which in all honesty is ok, because we all need the business right now anyway...

Just thought I'd share since that was so ironic to the topic. LOL :)

afowl1017
07-27-2009, 04:38 PM
Interesting info...makes you go hmmm. Thanks!

TheVBs
07-27-2009, 05:32 PM
Great story! :D

KAT1811
07-29-2009, 01:08 PM
It never hurts to ask.

I am hoping for an upgrade in November. :fingers: Not that I mind the room category we are booked in but I would rather not have to move after the first week. DH and I own our own business and never mind when people ask for a discount or some special treatment. If it is possible and within reason we are happy to oblige. The only thing that bugs me is when people don't take a polite "sorry we are unable to do that" for an answer and keep pushing! Being in business is all about making deals.

PAYROLL PRINCESS
07-30-2009, 07:13 PM
I always say it doesn't hurt to ask, the most they can say is no. But you may get surprised!

grumpypima
07-31-2009, 12:04 PM
I always say it doesn't hurt to ask, the most they can say is no. But you may get surprised!

Ditto!!

TheRustyScupper
07-31-2009, 04:54 PM
1) Sounds really fishy.
2) With the CM discount, she can't use a travel agent.
3) She has to book the room through the portal.
4) If the hubby was a resort GM, she would know the CM discount rate.
5) If her husband was a GM, she would also know the rooms that would be comp'd to her.

BluewaterBrad
07-31-2009, 05:31 PM
1) Sounds really fishy.
5) If her husband was a GM, she would also know the rooms that would be comp'd to her.

Man.................You dont miss a beat!!!:mickey:

TammiMcMan
07-31-2009, 05:41 PM
1) Sounds really fishy.
5) If her husband was a GM, she would also know the rooms that would be comp'd to her.Wouldn't these apply only if it's a Disney resort? The OP mentioned working for a "major hotel chain", not Disney :confused:.

BluewaterBrad
07-31-2009, 05:53 PM
Laura said the callers husband was a Disney GM. Rusty gets it right 98% of the time!!:mickey:

KAT1811
08-01-2009, 08:45 AM
Wouldn't these apply only if it's a Disney resort? The OP mentioned working for a "major hotel chain", not Disney :confused:.

That's what I was thinking. If it were Disney she wouldn't need to call anyone she didn't know (or that didn't know her or her husband). I too believe that the OP stated that his resort was non-Disney owned.

Belster
08-01-2009, 10:43 AM
If you don't ask they wont offer. The fact of the matter is, those that are not afraid of getting turned down in life are always much more successful.

With that said...I am NOT an asker. But I look up to the people that do.

brownie
08-02-2009, 03:10 PM
It never hurts to ask...

queenii
08-02-2009, 03:49 PM
I don't think it sounds fishy at all. It sounds like a Disney resort GM and his family are looking to stay at a non-Disney hotel and are saavy enough to shop around. The irony is that many have posted that some Disney CM's find it somewhat distasteful to ask for an upgrade, discount, or even if there is a pin code that may get you a lower rate, however, this Disney employee had no problem asking for a lower or better rate from another chain.

My own observation over the years has been that Disney enjoys giving unexpected gifts to thankful guest and that they do not give anything extra to those who feel they are entitled to more. This is why most suggest not to ask for an upgrade because it implies that you feel you are entitled to one.

LauraByTheSea
08-05-2009, 08:10 AM
1) Sounds really fishy.

I don't work for Disney, her DH does... Their discounts don't apply with me...

magicofdisney
08-05-2009, 08:31 AM
To me, asking one hotel chain to match the price of another (within the same league) is not the same thing as asking for a free upgrade. :shrug:

MNNHFLTX
08-06-2009, 10:13 AM
I have never seen the harm in asking for an upgrade (at a Disney resort or otherwise) either, as long as folks take the yay or nay response in good humor. Personally I think we, as consumers, tend to treat the Disney administrative personnel (at the resorts, particular) a bit like they're God--people tend to be afraid to ask for an upgrade, a different room if they don't like the one they're assigned, an extra Mousekeeping visit if they didn't clean the room adequately the first time--etc. We have the right to ask about anything, as long as we treat those we are asking with respect. :mickey:

martinfamily5
08-06-2009, 05:35 PM
Does Disney ever give upgrades even if you don't ask? DH and I are going in Sept. to celebrate our 20th and I was hoping because of that they would give us an upgrade.

MNNHFLTX
08-06-2009, 05:48 PM
Does Disney ever give upgrades even if you don't ask? DH and I are going in Sept. to celebrate our 20th and I was hoping because of that they would give us an upgrade.Yes, they sometimes do. But as I always tell everyone--don't go expecting one. That way, if it happens it's a nice surprise. :mickey:

Hair_Razor
08-06-2009, 06:28 PM
We asked for a specific fireworks view room when at POP and they had no problem with the request. I don't think it matters whether you ask for the upgrade, like other poster said what's the worst that can happen they'll say no. I think especially in slow times companies are willing to go the extra mile for guests. :mickey:

Even for myself, in the salon I will throw in conditioning treatments and little extras when I have a slow day.

TheVBs
08-06-2009, 07:54 PM
I have never seen the harm in asking for an upgrade (at a Disney resort or otherwise) either, as long as folks take the yay or nay response in good humor. Personally I think we, as consumers, tend to treat the Disney administrative personnel (at the resorts, particular) a bit like they're God--people tend to be afraid to ask for an upgrade, a different room if they don't like the one they're assigned, an extra Mousekeeping visit if they didn't clean the room adequately the first time--etc. We have the right to ask about anything, as long as we treat those we are asking with respect. :mickey:

Great answer! Definitely be good natured about the answer and respectful throughout the whole conversation - and I think that applies to anywhere you go.

I can't imagine being afraid of a CM though! :confused: They are typically some of the nicest, most understanding people in the service business.:thumbsup:

Orlando Resident
08-13-2009, 10:01 PM
Most Cast Members find it rather offensive for guests to ask for a complimentary upgrade. A complimentary upgrade can only be granted by a manager, so the CM that checks you in has not authority over granting upgrades to begin with, something that most guests do not understand. As far as who gets them, upgrades are reserved for unique situations such as over-booking of a certain room-type, a guest recovery situation, or a very special occasion or "Magical Moment".

TammiMcMan
08-13-2009, 11:01 PM
It's actually been reported by CM's that some of them do have the authority to give an upgrade. I agree that on the planet of Disney though, upgrades are done for specific reasons. I just don't quite understand why they would find it offensive for a guest to simply ask. Especially since it's standard operating procedure at nearly every other hotel chain :confused: . Maybe they are de-sensitized because they deal with so many people on a daily basis.

MNNHFLTX
08-14-2009, 10:22 AM
I don't understand why they (the CM's) would find it offensive either. They're in a service position, so being gracious with requests (no matter what kind) comes with the territory.

I do think most front desk CM's are wonderful, but you do get the occasional person here or there who has that faint air of annoyance with any special request. I think that is why some people hesitate to even ask.

mom2morgan
08-14-2009, 12:04 PM
Maybe my reasoning is wrong, but I thought they like to "surprise" people with upgrades to see that moment of magic. If you are asking for one, where's the magic? It's more like a business transaction. That's why I'd assume we shouldn't "ask", although I don't suppose dropping hints about it being a special occasion or something would hurt ;-)

TammiMcMan
08-14-2009, 12:16 PM
Maybe my reasoning is wrong, but I thought they like to "surprise" people with upgrades to see that moment of magic.It's funny, I think people have built it up to be a "moment of magic" because it's Disney, but in all honesty it is a business decision on their part. Although a few upgrades are given for a magical moment, the majority are done simply based on business. Whether it's oversold lower priced rooms, or them shutting down a particular building during a slow season, there is usually a business decision behind that upgrade.

If you are asking for one, where's the magic?Yet most people don't have a problem asking about deals with so many other companies. It just seems to be when it comes to Disney, it's a world that's removed from everyday reality.

Seasonscraps
08-14-2009, 12:33 PM
It's funny, I think people have built it up to be a "moment of magic" because it's Disney, but in all honesty it is a business decision on their part. Although a few upgrades are given for a magical moment, the majority are done simply based on business. Whether it's oversold lower priced rooms, or them shutting down a particular building during a slow season, there is usually a business decision behind that upgrade.

Yet most people don't have a problem asking about deals with so many other companies. It just seems to be when it comes to Disney, it's a world that's removed from everyday reality.

Thats because other companies are renting rooms, selling food, entertainment, etc. Disney is selling MAGIC. There is no magic in the real world so real world expectations dont really apply either. People expect more from Disney and are willing to pay a premium to get it.

It both facinates and baffles me.

TammiMcMan
08-14-2009, 12:53 PM
Oh I totally agree. It's business that's easily concealed under a layer of pixie dust. Most of us don't want to dust that off and therefore, are willing to pay more and forgive quicker. Definitely fascinating and baffling :thumbsup:.

blissventure
08-14-2009, 01:03 PM
It's funny, I think people have built it up to be a "moment of magic" because it's Disney, but in all honesty it is a business decision on their part. Although a few upgrades are given for a magical moment, the majority are done simply based on business. Whether it's oversold lower priced rooms, or them shutting down a particular building during a slow season, there is usually a business decision behind that upgrade.

Yet most people don't have a problem asking about deals with so many other companies. It just seems to be when it comes to Disney, it's a world that's removed from everyday reality.
On the business decision part, you're right.

On the asking for deals part, I think you're omitting one important point. Upgrades have become much better known, and now it's much more common for folks to ask for one. And it's better defined as demanding rather than asking. :shake: The funny thing is, they don't think about what they are asking. I've been at check in when someone rudely and loudly basically demands a better room/view...and they're priceliners. Nothing wrong with the line, it's just you already got your deal. The clerk has to point that they got a great rate, and there is "nothing else available."
For every person who's nice before and after the request, there are others that are rude, huffy, and just hard to deal with. :fit: Some clerks I'm sure don't mind, some may be human and get tired of being schmoozed for the first 3 minutes, and then glared at for the last 3 minutes as the customer fumes. I travel frequently, and I'm really pretty amazed at what goes on at check in desks these days. Check in or check out, the customer is surprisingly difficult. When I am gifted an upgrade (I don't ask...I prefer to just have a nice interaction w/out expectations) , clerks tend to lean over the desk and almost whisper what the upgrade/ benefit is. Being low maintenance has another benefit-if I see the room and there truly is a problem, clerks seem to be willing to work with me, rather than just blowing me off because they've already had a bad interaction. Keep in mind, too, that what was "done" off Disney 5 years ago is different now. The savvy traveler checks rates, and checks often. Hotels currently have great rates. People should take advantage of them. I can upgrade myself for not much, just by rebooking when the rates fall. (Embassy suites for 85.- 98.00, that sort of thing. Right now Disney has amazing rates even for CL. Travel is an interesting world these days.

In the end, does it hurt for others to ask? Doesn't hurt me one bit. Ask away! But, personally, I believe I get better service overall by not asking.:thumbsup: I don't want to be the 14th person that day that was requesting an upgrade from the same weary clerk--who is now waiting for the verbal nastiness that seems to accompany far too many of these requests.

(And I 100% believe you, Tammi, would ask with the best of manners, please don't misunderstand me. It's just that not everyone does, and then the polite folks can get lumped in with the not so polite traveler.)

TammiMcMan
08-14-2009, 01:47 PM
(And I 100% believe you, Tammi, would ask with the best of manners, please don't misunderstand me. It's just that not everyone does, and then the polite folks can get lumped in with the not so polite traveler.)I totally get what you're saying and that's why I mentioned that maybe CM's have just become de-sensitized. I would hope that most guests do remain on their best behaviour, but I was in the service industry for many years and I know that all it takes is that one bad apple :( .

For the most part, what I'm talking about is simply asking what is available when you check-in. I'm not saying that you expect it for free, but in the past with Disney, you could get deals at check-in.