PDA

View Full Version : Who owns at 2 or more resorts????

florida girl
07-27-2009, 12:51 PM
We have 160 points at Saratoga and are thinking of adding on. With all the mixed reviews out there on Saratoga, we all really like staying there, however we also enjoy the Boardwalk area. If we are going to buy more points I would love to buy at Boardwalk or Bay Lake.

Can those of you that own at 2 different places lay out the pros and cons of having points at two resorts?

Thanks!

TinksDH
07-27-2009, 02:39 PM
We own at both SSR and Vero, both with the same use year. At one point, my parents bought a resale with a different use year that we managed for them, and having two different use years was a bit of a pain when combining points on different contracts. Anyways, to your initial question on multiple locations:

Pros:
you get the 11 month booking window for two different locations (BIG pro in my book)

if you go resale, you can get the cheapest cost per point if you aren't too hung up on where you eventually stay (although to be honest we have never had a problem getting into a resort we wanted regardless of where our home resorts are, but we may be more flexible than a lot of folks. ANYplace in WDW is good!)

Cons:
may have to save/borrow in order to book a long stay at 11 months out since you can't combine your other contract until the 7 month booking window opens (little con in my book)

Depending on which resort you add on, your maintenance fees may be higher per point than what you are paying now

If you go resale and buy other than at SSR, AKV or BLT your "contract life" will be up sooner than your SSR contract.

disneyfan56
07-27-2009, 02:42 PM
We orginally bought 150 points for BCV in 2003.
Last year, we added on 50 more from OKW.

Next add on for us will be AKL, probably in the fall.

Ed
07-27-2009, 04:59 PM
We started out with 150 @ Saratoga Springs.
Added another 100
Added another 50
Added 100 @ Kidani (AKV)
And just recently added 100 @ Grand Californian.

All are the same use year. Same basic comments as TinksDH.

:cool:

DVC Mike
07-27-2009, 07:09 PM
Umm, I own at six resorts.

The big reason is to allow me to book the vacation I want. I've always gotten my reservation and I've never had to wait list.

DVC2004
07-27-2009, 08:36 PM
We own at SSR and Grand Californian Villas.

Ian
07-28-2009, 01:51 PM
We owned at SSR originally and added on 200 points at BLT.

We love SSR, but did want to have the option to stay at a different resort, closer to MK, when the mood struck us.

ElaineL
07-28-2009, 07:05 PM
DVC owner at Animal Kingdom Villas, Bay Lake Tower, Beach Club, BoardWalk, Wilderness Lodge, in the process of selling Saratoga Springs Resort, planning to add on at Old Key West. Best rule of thumb--buy where you'd like to stay.

florida girl
07-28-2009, 09:58 PM
Do you ever find it complicated to keep track of points at multiple resorts?

ElaineL
08-01-2009, 11:45 AM
Good question; so far, I haven't had trouble tracking my points, and I'm NOT a "numbers" person. I just added on 50 points at Old Key West last Thursday and banked the 2008 points (all contracts are for a December use year). The DVC reservationists are extremely helpful, and I keep a written tracking system of the points I've used at each resort (I "do the math" as the reservation is being made)and the number of points remaining for each use year. I've yet to work with a DVC reservationist who has not first voluntarily confirmed my remaining points without me asking--they ALWAYS have for the past 9 years of ownership; I find them great to work with in making reservations. Once my reservation is made, I go on the DVC web site to confirm my chosen resort, number of points used, and points remaining. The whole process is actually fun! My reason for owning at so many different DVC resorts--each resort has a different flavor and beauty, and I make good use of the 11-month booking window. º0º

Mushu11756
08-01-2009, 04:29 PM
We own 175 pts at SSR and have just added on 125 pts at AKV! We went threw dvc and got the free 4 night cruise! We only have 950 more pts to go to catch up with DVC MIKE! LOL! :thumbsup:

DonLefNY
08-01-2009, 08:30 PM
We own at VWL (200) & OKW (235 + waiting to close on another 150). We hardly ever stay at VWL.