PDA

View Full Version : The Wave reviews??

Tinkermom
07-26-2009, 03:03 PM
Anyone eaten at The Wave in the Contemporary? I had read some posts here on Icot a while back where folks said the menu was "weird" but I just looked at the MENU (http://disneyworld.disney.go.com/resorts/bay-lake-tower-at-contemporary/dining/the-wave-restaurant/) on the WDW website and it sounds wonderful to me. Would love some first hand thoughts on ambiance, service and food. DH and I are thinking about trying The Wave on our 20th wedding anniversary trip in October.

Ed
07-26-2009, 03:20 PM
:hi: Lisa!

We had lunch at The Wave about two weeks ago, and can't say anything negative about it. The service was great (even though we showed up 15 minutes before the lunch hours ended), the food was excellent, and the decor of the place, while simple, lent itself to a peaceful, enjoyable lunch.

DW had the soup du jour (don't remember what it was) and chicken salad, and I had the cheeseburger; everything was delicious, well prepared, and nicely presented. And the coffee was excellent!

We'd definitely go back. :thumbsup:

Maleficent_vf
07-26-2009, 06:23 PM
We went with some trepidation after reading mixed reviews here and elsewhere. However, our dinner in March and it was wonderful. The desserts were a bit of a letdown, but that was partly due to a family allergy to nuts. A friend was there a couple of weeks ago and loved it too.

TheRustyScupper
07-26-2009, 06:28 PM
Put ti this way . . .
The Wave quality is more of a ripple than a tsunami.

Cinderella7299
07-26-2009, 08:38 PM
My husband and I had dinner at The Wave on July 1. We had also read the mixed reviews on Intercot, but we're firm believers in trying new things and seeing for ourselves...we're so glad we did!

We're light eaters, so we shared an appetizer, dinner, and dessert. They brought a basket of bread (I think it was a sunflower seed bread), and butter. We also shared a Strawberry Lychee Margarita (we don't drink alcohol, so we ordered it "virgin"), and it was excellent and refreshing.

We had the Lump Crab Cake appetizer, which was by far the best crab cake I've ever had. Thick and moist, not overly seasoned, and the only breading was on the outside, just to hold all the crab meat together.

For our entree, we had the Cinnamon-rubbed Grilled Pork Tenderloin. Wow...again, the best pork tenderloin I've ever had. Moist, perfectly cooked. It was served with an apple "sauce" on top, veggies (a variety of squash), and fingerling potatoes.

We finished up with the Creamy Indulgence dessert. It was a trio of small desserts that included cheesecake with a rasperry topping, a chocolate passionfruit mousse, and a coconut panna cotta. Very good, not overly rich, and perfect portions.

We were there at prime dinner time, so the restaurant was full. It didn't feel crowded or busy (it was energetic, but not busy), the decor is really simple (as a previous poster mentioned). The service was excellent, our server was attentive, but not doting.

I enjoyed The Wave so much that it is the restaurant I picked for my birthday dinner in August! I strongly recommend The Wave, it was one of the most talked-about experiences from our July trip.

Congrats on your upcoming 20th anniversary!

:mickey:
Ginnylynne

Emptynest
07-26-2009, 09:48 PM
We ate there twice during our stay at the Contemporary (7/12 -7/18). The first time, my son and I had the fish (salmon), other son had the filet and hubby the chicken. It was great! Second time around -- the salmon was not as great as the first time. The bread was cold (it was warm the first trip). All in all, we would go again.

SurferStitch
07-27-2009, 12:02 PM
DH and I dined there last October, and it was by far the worst meal we've ever had at Disney (or anywhere else).

I started with the crab cake, and it tasted like something you'd get at a diner. Lots of filler, fishy tasting, and flat as a pancake. Awful. Main courses were bland and had very little taste. I had some sort of fish (so boring I can't even remember what I got), and DH had fillet, which he said had no flavor. I don't think they have salt and pepper in the kitchen.

They only had dry wines, which I don't like.

We were put at a table right where the servers corner to go into the kitchen, even though the place was almost empty. I had people whishing by me the whole time. Our server was also very unsure of the menu and rather dry.

But hey, it might have been a bad night. We've never been disappointed in every course at a meal, but both of us were there. It was worth a try, but we won't be returning.