PDA

View Full Version : Not sure what is happening...

Dsnygirl
07-26-2009, 01:39 PM
The last couple of times I've gotten on Intercot, I've had some weird experiences with ads jumping in and pulling me to a new site... one was MySpace, which was okay, just annoying... but one was a very inappropriate site, have no idea how it linked me there from here. They seem to be going through something called 'quikjump' or a similar name... any idea what this might be? It hasn't happened on any other sites I've gone to over the last few days, just here. It just happened a few minutes ago while I was trying to post to a thread... kept trying to navigate me to a new page, each time I clicked Cancel, it'd try a new one. Is this something to do with all the new ads we're seeing at the top of the page, maybe??

I'm mostly concerned b/c of the inappropriate page it took me to... I had a very hard time closing the page after it opened, and am now concerned that it is somewhere on my computer and my girls could have it re-open by accident.

Thanks for any input...

It'sWDW4me
07-26-2009, 01:59 PM
Do you have anti-spyware or the like or a pop-up blocker? It's possible you may have a bug.

Dsnygirl
07-26-2009, 02:19 PM
Do you have anti-spyware or the like or a pop-up blocker? It's possible you may have a bug.
We have both... and they both ran Friday. Still have to ask my DH, he may know, but just wanted to see if anyone else had experienced the same... :confused:

JPL
07-26-2009, 03:03 PM
It's definately some type of spyware or PUP that is taking control and linking you to other sites. I would run the scans of your computer again and if they don't find anything I highly recommend installing and running Spybot which usually catches things most Virus Scans and Spyware programs miss.

John
07-26-2009, 03:41 PM
Unfortunately, this happened to my boss's computer at work - and it was a trojan that would take hold of the browser and redirect you to other sites.

Problem was, we couldn't get rid of it with antiivirus or spyware tools - and we tried them all.

In the end, we had to reformat the machine.

Not saying you will have to take such drastic measures but it sure sounds like you have some sort or URL Redirect issue going on.

We'll keep an eye on the site here - but havn't seen any issues thus far.

Dsnygirl
07-26-2009, 04:28 PM
Thanks for the info -- I'll get my DH to re-run whatever it is we use (I think it is Norton) and if it continues, we'll try SpyBot, etc... thanks for answering! :thumbsup:

biodtl
07-26-2009, 10:40 PM
If those programs don't work for you, check out the tech guys forums (just google them - you'll find it). You can post problems and these awesome geniuses will help you. They saved me a couple of times. It's free, but you can make a small donation if you want to to help defray their costs.

GrumpyFan
07-27-2009, 10:36 AM
If you can find out what's causing the re-direct, you might be able to Google for a solution to fix it.

McAfee has a free online spyware scanner which might help, just Google "mcafee spyware scan".

Dsnygirl
07-29-2009, 04:46 PM
Well, we have run everything and nothing has come up, and it is still happening (in fact, just did... another inappropriate site :() and it is only here on Intercot.

The whole time I am reading a thread (but not every single time - no rhyme or reason to when this seems to happen while I am on here... and it doesn't happen when I am on here at work...) and/or replying, the bottom part of the page where it normally just says "Done" is rapidly scrolling through webpages, like it does when you are changing webpages purposefully -- but this is page change after page change after page change -- and most of the time, it just scrolls through them but the page doesn't navigate away from I'cot. But, if I happen to use the sidebar to scroll back up to the top of the page I was reading while this rapid stuff is going on, it seems to pick one of the sites it is scrolling through to go to -- and sometimes it is just some random search engine, but twice now it has been a "not so good" type page.

Again, just putting it out there to see if anyone has any ideas -- we access all kinds of other websites, and it doesn't happen on any of them except this one.

Can a virus be attached to a certain site on our computer?? :confused:

John
07-29-2009, 04:56 PM
If it were happening because of the site, it would happen to you everywhere eventually.

When we had a similar thing where I work, we ran all kinds of scans and nothing would come up - and still the browser got redirected. Exactly like you mentioned, you would see the sites it was redirecting to in the lower left corner of the browser.

One thing you can try - if you are using IE - grab firefox - install it and see if it still happens in firefox on the same computer. My guess is that the answer will be no - as it's probably a IE browser redirect script.

Dsnygirl
07-29-2009, 09:34 PM
John, thanks -- once I realized it wasn't happening at work, I realized it wasn't an I'cot thing but something w/ our computer. Just weird that it's only happening w/ this site and not the other ones we visit. I'll try Firefox... Dan was going to try something else tonight. We're also wondering if it's related to something my DD might have done when she was searching for a site... gotta love when the young ones get ahold of the computer. :crazy:

DisneyWFan
07-30-2009, 01:17 PM
You probably have a Browser Hijacker theese are not usually found by either anti-virus or anti spyware programs I would google Browser hijacker removal tools and run one of those