PDA

View Full Version : Why can't they fix the Yeti?

jaredkari
07-25-2009, 06:16 PM
Not to complain about Disney (goodness knows that we love the place!) but the fact that the Yeti has been "out of service" for so long just doesn't seem like Disney. I know we still get to see the Yeti when riding Everest, but it was SOOOO neat when you could see him swinging at you, and you could actually see him without straining your eyes to see amongst the strobe light. Any ideas when or if they will fix the Yeti, and why has it taken so long? The Yeti is such a great feature (and expensive/time consuming to make I'm sure), why wouldn't they want to make it all that it was made to be???

TheRustyScupper
07-25-2009, 06:19 PM
1) Because they did a bad job at engineering.
2) He now has limited motion.
3) But, nowhere close to when it opened.
4) Bad job of engineering.
5) And, there is software (FEA) out there for this exact purpose!

DizneyFreak2002
07-25-2009, 06:40 PM
And they are working on it to fix the problem....

Polynesian Dweller
07-25-2009, 08:06 PM
1) Because they did a bad job at engineering.

Of course, the they is not Disney but the company they hired to do the job which from reports apparently went out of business. Having the original company unavailable really complicates the issue.

So bad engineering but lets place the responsibility at the right spot. You make specifications, tender the job on those speicifications and the engineering firm hired has to get it right. If the hired company gets it wrong you usually go back at them for repairs on their dime. Oh, except now they aren't around so you have to work on another solution, which is more complicated and takes longer, especially considering the problems of even getting inside the mountain to do a repair. You can find other threads that tell you about that and its not at all straight forward.

SFTrny
07-25-2009, 08:34 PM
I don't know why they don't just replace the mechanical Yeti with a real one.

DizneyRox
07-25-2009, 10:28 PM
Of course, the they is not Disney but the company they hired to do the job which from reports apparently went out of business. Having the original company unavailable really complicates the issue.
I thought that was the masterminds behind Mission:Space? The folks that did the Yeti went belly up too?

johnO
07-26-2009, 01:05 AM
I thought there was a thread in recent days claiming the triumphant return of the Yeti?

DisneyFanaticDargon
07-26-2009, 07:29 AM

You know, maybe it's just me, but back in the day when Disney was developing attractions like Pirates, Haunted Mansion, etc., didn't they do all their own in-house engineering?

I know it's all about budget these days, but this is ONE place where they shouldn't be cutting corners by going to outside help. I can understand using Vekoma to design and build the actual track, they're a coaster company, that's what they do. Disney didn't even design the Matterhorn's track in-house, that went to Arrow Dynamics (now part of S&S Arrow). But Disney pioneered animatronics! They should have been the ones handling the design, engineering, and implementation of the yeti.

TheRustyScupper
07-26-2009, 08:05 AM

So bad engineering but lets place the responsibility at the right spot.

1) Yes, let's place the blame.
. . . Disney & Ogre decimated Imagineering
. . . Disney & Ogre cut most of the department
. . . Disney & Ogre actually closed some of the Imagineering buildings
. . . Disney & Ogre put most of it under other people
. . . Disney & Ogre now depends upon others to do their work
. . . Disney & Ogre do not have the expertise to check/verify the work of others
2) So, it is not the vendor, but really Disney's fault !!!!!!
3) Let's assign the blame where it lies.

NOTE: Maybe I should use Iger's name instead of calling him Ogre. But, he is more interested in cost cutting and bonuses than keeping the Disney methods alive.

LauraByTheSea
07-26-2009, 09:00 AM

:thumbsup:

A Big Kid
07-26-2009, 09:32 AM
"Why cant they fix the yeti?'

Sorry, but I have the picture in my mind of a vet with a chain saw!

WDWdriver
07-26-2009, 12:33 PM
The attraction will be closed for three days in October while repairs are made to the yeti and its foundation structure.

DizneyFreak2002
07-26-2009, 12:44 PM
I thought that was the masterminds behind Mission:Space? The folks that did the Yeti went belly up too?

Yep, from what I hear... And that was the reason it took so long to start fixing the yeti... This is what Disney gets for outsourcing things they used to do themselves...

DizneyFreak2002
07-26-2009, 12:45 PM
I thought there was a thread in recent days claiming the triumphant return of the Yeti?

Yes there was a thread in news and rumors...

DizneyFreak2002
07-26-2009, 12:47 PM
You know, maybe it's just me, but back in the day when Disney was developing attractions like Pirates, Haunted Mansion, etc., didn't they do all their own in-house engineering?

I know it's all about budget these days, but this is ONE place where they shouldn't be cutting corners by going to outside help. I can understand using Vekoma to design and build the actual track, they're a coaster company, that's what they do. Disney didn't even design the Matterhorn's track in-house, that went to Arrow Dynamics (now part of S&S Arrow). But Disney pioneered animatronics! They should have been the ones handling the design, engineering, and implementation of the yeti.

This is the nature of the business now...

DizneyFreak2002
07-26-2009, 12:48 PM
The attraction will be closed for three days in October while repairs are made to the yeti and its foundation structure.

Do you know when in Ocober??? I will be there from October 11 to 24...

Goes4FastPass
07-26-2009, 07:38 PM

Holy Gamoly! Which 3 days??

DizneyRox
07-27-2009, 10:58 AM
Nah, - that was a Sasquatch in a Yeti costume.
True, but Disney has been hoping we wouldn't notice a broken Yeti for a year, so a Sasquatch would certainly fool most of the people most of the time.

WDWdriver
07-27-2009, 02:53 PM
Do you know when in Ocober??? I will be there from October 11 to 24...

The attraction closure dates are being withheld for now. Watch for an announcement in a few weeks.

Imagineer1981
07-27-2009, 02:59 PM
The attraction closure dates are being withheld for now. Watch for an announcement in a few weeks.

glad my vacation is earlier now...big loss to AK while its down though

DisneyFanaticDargon
07-27-2009, 07:37 PM
glad my vacation is earlier now...big loss to AK while its down though

Meh, they got by for 8 years without it, I'm pretty sure the GP can handle a week or two.

coneygoil
07-28-2009, 09:54 AM

Do you know what days in October?

MNNHFLTX
07-28-2009, 01:52 PM
Moderator Warning--

While I understand the efforts to inject humor into this thread, the off-topic banter has gone overboard. Let's stick to discussion related to the anamatronic yeti and it's function/non-function at Expedition Everest (the OP's question).

Remember you can use the PM feature for any other off-topic comments between those that are interested.

Melanie
07-28-2009, 03:50 PM
To follow up on Beth's post, I have gone through the thread and deleted the posts which were waaaaaay off topic. Thanks!

Melanie
07-28-2009, 03:50 PM
Do you know what days in October?

Ron stated a few posts back that the dates have not been publicly announced yet. Look for the information soon. :thumbsup:

DisneyorBust
07-28-2009, 07:05 PM
Thanks for the updates everyone! I hope that they are able to return the Yeti to his original capabilities, it was a great AA, and a fantastic part of the ride. The strobe lights were a poor substitute. Here's hoping that Disney is able to make it right.:thumbsup:

DigitalDaredevil
07-30-2009, 01:27 AM
They should remove the Stitch AA and put it in EE. They could just change the fur and pretend the Yeti shrunk a little.

Fantasmic
07-30-2009, 08:51 AM

You'd think that Disney could do this wouldn't you ;)

Hope it's late October.

They should remove the Stitch AA and put it in EE. They could just change the fur and pretend the Yeti shrunk a little.

Expedition Everest: Stitch's Great Attack?