PDA

View Full Version : What makes Disney World so addictive?

Aurora
07-25-2009, 03:31 PM
Let's face it, many of us on these boards are Disney addicts. We even use words like "fix" and "withdrawal" when describing our vacation habits.

So what is it about Disney World that makes us keep coming back, not because it would be nice or because we want to, but because sooner or later, we NEED to.

I'm not asking why YOU are an addict, but why is the PLACE so addictive?

Pigtunia
07-25-2009, 03:34 PM
"Addicted" or "Enchanted"? I look at at as more of a spell that's been cast on us by the Disney Magic.:cloud9:

pokci
07-25-2009, 03:36 PM
It's reliable. Chances are that it won't disappoint. It's childhood and magic. It's clean. It's the essence to perfection without being perfect, but awfully close. It's addictive to those of us who don't see the tarnish. It's addictive to those of us who haven't found a reliable place that doesn't disappoint, that offers a variety of experiences and often offers up a variety of others who enjoy it as much... Making the whole package rather lovely!

Gregandmel
07-25-2009, 03:41 PM
It just transports me to my "happy place" just thinking about it. I went with my family last October and fell in love with it to a level I wasn't expecting.

I think it's just the ambiance, the magic that is all around you:pixie:, the happiness I feel when I'm there with my family :cloud9:. Life can sometimes just get so mundane and the news can be so terrible in the world, that when I'm there - that sort of stuff just disappears - if only for a week! But mentally - I'm there every day! :thumbsup:

ransam
07-25-2009, 03:42 PM
To me it's like stepping into another world...a world the way it's suppose to be....my friend and i whenever we're at disneyworld always say everytime something comes up (long line, bad weather, etc...) "hey there are no problems, this is Disney!" and that's the way i feel...every one is in a good mood, happy, nice to each others....the customer service is the way every company should be. to me it's just an escape to your childhood as well. Disney treats every adult as a child, and every child as an adult. its' wonderful.
A couple years ago we left disney and got on our plane. the flight attendent was kind of pushy, and rude. made a comment that was inappropriate.....my sister turned to me and said "well that disney customer service is over".....

ibelieveindisneymagic
07-25-2009, 03:55 PM
Disney is the world how it is supposed to be. In general, people are really nice, things all work, it is clean, you can dream and have fun (and not be told you're silly), there isn't anything to worry about, people are always there to help.

disneymom15
07-25-2009, 04:40 PM
To me it's my escape from the real world. When I'm there I don't have any worries. Disney is my happy place.

BluewaterBrad
07-25-2009, 05:21 PM
It's reliable. Chances are that it won't disappoint. It's childhood and magic. It's clean. It's the essence to perfection without being perfect, but awfully close. It's addictive to those of us who don't see the tarnish. It's addictive to those of us who haven't found a reliable place that doesn't disappoint, that offers a variety of experiences and often offers up a variety of others who enjoy it as much... Making the whole package rather lovely!

Wow!! Right On!!!!:mickey:

PharmD
07-25-2009, 05:38 PM
Well some of the obvious things to me are it's very clean, most if not all of the time the castmembers are awesome :thumbsup:, and you know before you get there what you can expect. The not so obvious, well its hard to say. I think Walt had his hand in it and there's something about that mans vision. He knew what a vacation spot for families was supposed to be. I guess it's like he said in a interview one time. He wanted a place he knew he could take his daughters and know they would have a good time and it would be safe and family oriented. I think he left some of his essence in the park. It has to be magic pixie dust or something :secret:. I think that's what keeps us coming back over and over just the feel of the place. I get chill bumps each and every time I see the welcome sign as I am entering the property. We go to Universal Studios once about every 5 years just to see the new stuff, Harry Potter's land will definately be the next thing to draw me in, don't get me started on HP, I just love it. You can tell that they tried to model things like restaurants and ride queues after Disney but they don't achieve the same thing because they lack the magic. I mean even the people who work there most of the time don't act like they want to be there. In most cases the cast members at Disney really and truly act like they love to make visitors dreams come true. Okay I'll get off my soap box now. :blush:

TheVBs
07-25-2009, 05:50 PM
All of the above! :mickey:

It really takes you back to that feeling of excitement and enchantment that kids feel so easily. And there's so much to do there now that you just want to get back and experience more.

KAJUNKING
07-25-2009, 05:55 PM

very well said! could not agree more

jaredkari
07-25-2009, 06:04 PM
I agree with all the posts on reason why it is addictive, but mainly for me it is the reliability and my loss of concerns while there.

My wife and I have vacationed other places and everytime we simple say we should have gone to WDW. Their level of service and attitude of their employees is truly second to none. Every now and then you may have a bad experience but compared to other vacation locations it is by far #1.

I agree that you feel like you are truly in another world while there. I lose track of what is going on in the world, I forget about my worries at home, I feel like I am a kid again without worries.

Also I know WDW isn't cheap but at the same time I feel it is a good value. When we vacation other places it seems like you are just nickeled and dimed to death and before you know it you have spent more than a WDW vacation would cost. We are not really big into buying souvenirs and disney merchandise so when we go we can do the dining plan and we basically leave our wallets behind.

We are going again in 7 days, third time this year!!!! Our addiction is getting pretty bad!!!:mickey:

Grim Grinning Marathon Runner
07-25-2009, 06:05 PM
Another thing is, when you go to Disney World, you aren't a teacher, an engineer, a customer service rep, an accountant, or any other "title", You're a "guest". All that's expected of you is to experience the magic in whatever way makes you the happiest.

And, like others have said, it's that same thing consistently each time we visit.

Even beyond that for those of us with children, it's a link between us as we are now, us as we were as children, and our own children. We can experience the magic for ourselves, through our children's eyes, or any other way.

Aggie97
07-25-2009, 07:00 PM
For us it's the escapism and total immersion that WDW offers. It's a unique experience in that we can step away completely from the real world and immerse ourselves in a magical setting for the duration of our vacation. We love that things are happy, nice, fun, clean, friendly, convenient, and consistent -- including entertainment and attractions, food, lodging, transportation, and even people. It's so nice to go on vacation and have our most weighty decision be whether to ride Space Mountain or Buzz Lightyear next! :mickey:

Bamf1000
07-25-2009, 09:16 PM
IMO its the HAPPIEST PLACE ON EARTH

mouseketeer mom
07-25-2009, 09:57 PM
I love all the answers. I agree with all of the above posters. I'll be there in 6 days!!

Marceline
07-25-2009, 11:42 PM
The things that make the place addictive for me are the first, excellence, they try very hard to be the best at what they do, Disney has set the bar.

The originality of it all is a huge factor, there are so many things in WDW that can be found nowhere else...like a Geosphere with a ride inside or a hotel with a monorail running through it.

Mostly it's the underlying theme of unadulterated joy. It is well crafted and intentional but it works perfectly on me!! The setting, the music, the smells, the smiles, the cute little characters, balloons, fireworks, parades, happy families, dancing, singing, thrills and chills, food....it is all designed to elicit a specific sentimental and nostalgic sense in us. A feeling comes over me that feels like being in love, except it's love for a place rather than a person.

However I certainly have a great affection for the man who's heart this sprung from and all those Walt worked with to make it happen, and all those who continue to work to make the magic. Which gives me this great feeling of gratitude and blessedness when I am there, that just feels wonderful.

I just think that euphoric bliss is addictive.:thumbsup::mickey:

johnO
07-26-2009, 01:40 AM
Mostly it's the underlying theme of unadulterated joy. It is well crafted and intentional but it works perfectly on me!! The setting, the music, the smells, the smiles, the cute little characters, balloons, fireworks, parades, happy families, dancing, singing, thrills and chills, food....it is all designed to elicit a specific sentimental and nostalgic sense in us. A feeling comes over me that feels like being in love, except it's love for a place rather than a person.

Great illustration Marceline. I think the common theme in these posts is the same as it is in similar threads; there is a certin amount of immersion into "The World of Disney" that guests, including myself, seem to experience at WDW. A feeling of escaping the daily grind of our lives and retuning to a very special place. There is an attention to detail that is unmatched and does seem to "elicit a specific sentimental and nostalgic sense in us", as Marceline described.

When I'm at WDW I do get very nostalgic and really feel like I'm supposed to be there. I love to see my kids enjoying themselves there and I get the sense that they too, have a certin attachment to WDW that goes beyond other places.

From the Resort TV channels, theme music everywhere, the landscaping, the decor, smells, and so many things beyond the main attractions that envelop you and allow you to escape.

Take a look at my signature -I'm hooked.....

alaMode
07-26-2009, 10:54 AM
until I took my son to WDW for the first time in 2007. The trip was planned to a be a "first and last time" event just so he could experience WDW.

We have been back 2x since and will be returning in December...

My son has special needs and faces many challenges in every day life. At WDW, he is treated with respect and kindness to such a degree that it rubs off on our whole family!

The CMs are absolutely amazing, everything is accessible or can be made accessible, it's so easy to get around without any hassle, and there's something for everyone in our family to enjoy.

The experience is also very consistent. We have never received an upgrade or any kind of out-of-ordinary-for-Disney treatment. Yet the time we spend there is always magical!

WDW makes it possible to truly leave our cares behind and let go of the stress of everyday life.

We'll keep coming back for that!

Tess
poly07
poly08
pop09
popChristmas09!

elmjimmlm
07-26-2009, 12:35 PM
It is an indescribable feeling of joy and excitement that you just can't get anywhere else...

LauraByTheSea
07-26-2009, 01:37 PM
The magic... :pixie:

Aurora
07-27-2009, 12:02 PM
I forgot to put my own thoughts in! Someone once asked me why we love it so much since we've already visited the parks so many times. I said, "I just like being there."

To me it feels like when I'm there, I'm myself -- the happy version I'd like to be all the time but somehow can't get to a lot of the time.

A well-traveled friend once said to me they don't really care for Disney World because it isn't "real." I said, "But it IS real." It's a real place with beautiful architecture, lush plants, uplifting music, cheerful people, warm weather, astounding rides, immersive experiences. To me that's the best kind of real.

Mousemates
07-27-2009, 10:13 PM
Its the intoxicating mixture of nostalgia, escape, theming and customer service.

kemps@wdw
08-01-2009, 10:59 PM
In a word..."MAGICAL"! :cloud9:

BPATSMouse
08-02-2009, 01:35 AM
I agree with all of the above. We go to "get away from it all".:pixie: Life is simple for a week or two and makes the rest of the year go by quicker anticipating our next trip.:wait: