PDA

View Full Version : FastPass 2.0

Ms. Mode
07-24-2009, 11:34 AM
I just read on another blog that DWD is testing a new FP system at AK for the rest of this week. Does anyone have an update on what the plan is and how it's going?

cer
07-24-2009, 12:46 PM
Welcome to Intercot! :rocks:

I don't have any information, but I am sure someone will come along who does....:blush:

elmjimmlm
07-24-2009, 01:50 PM
I read that they are trying out having the distribution of fastpasses in one location...I read that at A Bugs Life is where they are trying it at...i don't know if this is correct...:blush:

bretski99
07-24-2009, 02:35 PM
Not to sound dense - but am I hearing you right that they are trying to have fastpasses for ALL rides given out in one place?

mudpuppysmom
07-24-2009, 03:10 PM
I have not heard of this, but I can see them having a touch screen and you touch what you want a FP for and if there are any available then it will spit one out for you.......of course after putting your ticket into the machine.

I hope someone will have some more info on this as I'm curious how this will work.

elmjimmlm
07-24-2009, 03:29 PM
Not to sound dense - but am I hearing you right that they are trying to have fastpasses for ALL rides given out in one place?

This is what I read...Sorry about my description...After I read it back I don't think it made much sense...:blush:

Disney’s Animal Kingdom Testing New Centralized FASTPASS Distribution
It’s being reported that from opening until 3 pm for the rest of the week, Disney’s Animal Kingdom is attempting a new FASTPASS distribution system where guests can obtain a FASTPASS for any attraction from one location in particular, the machines at It’s Tough to Be A Bug.

Guests who are unaware of the testing will not be affected as other FASTPASS machines will be operating at this time as normal.

cer
07-24-2009, 03:52 PM
well that is very interesting...

Imagineer1981
07-24-2009, 03:54 PM
From what I understand they will still have indivisual machines at the attractions, this will just be a way to get a FP so the guest doesn't have to walk across the park just to get FP

KAT1811
07-24-2009, 04:10 PM
I think I like this idea. I hate to run all the way to Soarin' just to grab a fastpass and then find something to do until the time comes around. Especially with 4 children and not being able to bring the stroller into the pavillion.

Dsnygirl
07-24-2009, 04:12 PM
:mickey: Now, that would be sweet -- as 9 times out of 10, I'm the FP "runner" in the family! DH will, as well, but this would be SO much easier! I hope it works really well, and is something they'll be able to have up and running by October!! :thumbsup:

Pally
07-24-2009, 05:33 PM
:mickey: I hope it works really well, and is something they'll be able to have up and running by October!! :thumbsup:

I want it faster, mid-August! Am I asking too much!!:blush::mickey:

DisneyFanaticDargon
07-24-2009, 09:26 PM
Unfortunately, this still won't stop people from bringing back expired fastpasses in an attempt to board, which defeats the whole purpose of Fastpass in the first place. 10-15 minutes late is fine in my opinion, but don't bring me 7 fastpasses from 11 a.m. when it's 3:30 p.m. and we're getting the post-parade rush.

EPCOT84
07-24-2009, 10:21 PM
They should install gates to scan the FastPass at the gate to the attraction, like at train station entrances, and rejects latecomers.:thedolls: Or would that cause more problems?

Anyway, one-point FastPass kiosks sound good to me.

DisneyFanaticDargon
07-24-2009, 10:24 PM
They should install gates to scan the FastPass at the gate to the attraction, like at train station entrances, and rejects latecomers.:thedolls: Or would that cause more problems?

If they did at least it would take out the human pity element. "Oh I'm sorry we had dinner reservations." Well, perhaps you should have planned your day better. If you had the reservations already it's not like you didn't know what time they were at.

The biggest complaint that comes from rejection of late fastpasses is that now it's pretty common knowledge that cast members will let you use them after they've expired, so it's hard to go back to rejecting them. At Tokyo Disneyland they don't let you do this, and while it's true that the Japanese are typically a very non-confrontational people, my feeling is that this should be the exception and not the rule. It has 2 times on it for a reason, it's not open-ended.

DizneyRox
07-25-2009, 07:58 AM
As mentioned however, CMs are trained to accept fastpasses past the expiration. It's Disney Policy to accept them, so there's nothing wrong with it.

If there was, I am sure Disney would prevent guests from doing this.

DisneyFanaticDargon
07-25-2009, 08:07 AM
CMs are trained to accept fastpasses past the expiration. It's Disney Policy to accept them, so there's nothing wrong with it.

In my entire training period at Big Thunder Mountain I was never told outright that it was policy nor was it written as such in any of my training materials. It was an unspoken rule, because we knew the alternative was angry guests, which, unfortunately was something that by accepting late Fastpasses we caused anyway. It's one thing to say that's it's policy. But try explaining that to the guests who have to keep getting stopped in standby every minute because the Fastpass line is backed up all the way to the entrance, full of people with both valid and invalid fastpasses. This defeats the entire purpose of the system.

It's only 'policy' because Disney doesn't like having guests complain, which is what they did way back when Disney actually enforced the time window.

Seasonscraps
07-25-2009, 08:26 AM
Wouldn't a centralized FP ticket distribution center just create a big bottle neck at that location?

It's only 'policy' because Disney doesn't like having guests complain, which is what they did way back when Disney actually enforced the time window.

Do you think if the guests that get jammed up on the standby line b/c of this "policy" or simply observe the stated rules started complaining Disney would go back to enforcing the return window? :blush:

KAT1811
07-25-2009, 08:31 AM
. . . This defeats the entire purpose of the system.

I have to agree with that. Rules are rules. Timeframes are timeframes, you miss it your fault, move on, try again!

Melanie
07-25-2009, 08:46 AM
Moderator Alert!

Let's please stay on topic, which is the testing of central distribution of FPs at Animal Kingdom.

On with the discussion. :)

DisneyFanaticDargon
07-25-2009, 09:03 AM
Sorry, didn't mean to derail the topic. That being said, I'm not sure why they would offer both central distribution and distribution at the ride itself. It seems a little redundant. If they used central in all the parks, and still offered it at attractions, who would go to the attraction to get it unless they happened to just pass by and FPs were available?

Then again, if they only offered central, the lines for it would be horrendous as everyone tried to get their first Fastpasses for the day. Maybe the two systems could coexist if perhaps central was something exclusive to resort guests as a perk.

Anthony007
07-25-2009, 09:26 AM
I like the idea, especially for AK since we usually get a safari FP first, so it is a long run to the safari and then back to the front of the park.

I could see how there would be HUGE lines, but maybe not since there will still be FP distribution at the actual rides. I think I like this.

I've been told by CMs that I don't have to follow the window, anytime AFTER the initial time is fine. Those were there words.

magicofdisney
07-25-2009, 09:35 AM
Why not put Fast Pass machines at the resorts as well?

I like the idea of more Fast Pass machines in different locations.

KAJUNKING
07-25-2009, 12:07 PM
I like the idea, especially for AK since we usually get a safari FP first, so it is a long run to the safari and then back to the front of the park.

i agree i can see this as a huge benefit

badkitty
07-25-2009, 01:41 PM
I think I like this idea. I hate to run all the way to Soarin' just to grab a fastpass and then find something to do until the time comes around. Especially with 4 children and not being able to bring the stroller into the pavillion.

But isn't that the original reason for the fastpass system? To get you to an area and then spend time shopping...

As others have said, one centralized location would have a huge line. Not to mention, you are still probably only going to be able to get one fastpass at a time so you will have to go back to the one location to get your next pass.

If they "allowed" more than one at a time, wouldn't that be a nightmare having to "plan" fastpasses like we plan our ADRs? That would make the lines even longer with guests who can't decide whether to do KS at 10AM and EE at 12 or should they pick D! at 11:30AM instead... Ugh.

I don't see how this could work at the resorts as a PP suggested.

Meteora
07-25-2009, 05:06 PM
Why not put Fast Pass machines at the resorts as well?

I guess the problem there would be that right now you need to use a valid park pass to get a fast pass--i.e. one that you have used for admission to a park that day. If you take out that element, you'd need another way to make sure people aren't using "extra" park tickets to obtain extra fast passes. Also, you might have to deal with people who are not resort guests coming onto resort properties just to take advantage of the fp machines, and that could also be problematic.

I agree with a previous poster that the situation that centralized fast passes would greatly improved would be Soarin'. In Epcot, we always have to run to the Land pavilion to get our FPs, then run across the park to try to hop on the Test Track line before it gets too long. Then all the way back to the Land. It's definitely geographically undesirable at the moment.

TheVBs
07-25-2009, 05:19 PM
I think a centralized FP system would be great as long as they keep the ones by the rides too. We don't run anywhere for FPs, just get them as we go, so it would be nice if there were someplace closer to the front of the park to do that. But, if that line is too long, we'd be just as happy to walk to the ride to get them.

The only problem I could see with having the FP at the resorts is if someone picks them up, then doesn't go to the park for some reason. I can't see anyone who isn't a resort guest going that far out of their way to use a FP machine!

DisneyFanaticDargon
07-25-2009, 05:33 PM
Another problem that would arise is that if it were at resorts you still have to take into account that there's only a certain amount per time frame per day. If people can get them before even leaving their hotel, they get a leg up over people who aren't staying on property. This means that people can get them before hopping on the bus and during peak periods half the fastpasses for certain attractions might be spoken for before the park even opens for the day.

magicofdisney
07-25-2009, 07:35 PM
I guess the problem there would be that right now you need to use a valid park pass to get a fast pass--i.e. one that you have used for admission to a park that day. If you take out that element, you'd need another way to make sure people aren't using "extra" park tickets to obtain extra fast passes. Also, you might have to deal with people who are not resort guests coming onto resort properties just to take advantage of the fp machines, and that could also be problematic.

This can be solved by only allowing room keys for access to the machines.

The only problem I could see with having the FP at the resorts is if someone picks them up, then doesn't go to the park for some reason.
I see what you're saying but people get Fast Passes all the time and don't end up using them, so that's a "problem" that already exist.

Another problem that would arise is that if it were at resorts you still have to take into account that there's only a certain amount per time frame per day. If people can get them before even leaving their hotel, they get a leg up over people who aren't staying on property.
There's not much difference here between this and those that go to early EMH and are already at the Fast Pass machines when the parks open for guest staying off site.

This means that people can get them before hopping on the bus and during peak periods half the fastpasses for certain attractions might be spoken for before the park even opens for the day.
I do see this as being a potential problem.

Stu29573
07-25-2009, 07:48 PM
I think I would like this system. However,
1. I hope they post the standby times on the screen with the return times for the pass.
2. I hope they don't have the machines at the resorts due to people getting fastpasses and then not showing up at the park (much less the ride) and then having the passes run out too quickly.
Just my :twocents:

Polynesian Dweller
07-25-2009, 08:00 PM
Another problem that would arise is that if it were at resorts you still have to take into account that there's only a certain amount per time frame per day. If people can get them before even leaving their hotel, they get a leg up over people who aren't staying on property. This means that people can get them before hopping on the bus and during peak periods half the fastpasses for certain attractions might be spoken for before the park even opens for the day.

To Disney that may not be a problem at all, if it made sense from a business viewpoint. If doing that increased their number of room nights by inticing more folks to stay at a Disney resort, and/or they could charge a bit more then they might go for it. Of course, it would have to not impact significantly on the number of people visiting the parks. You never know, it might make sense to them the way 90+10 for ADRs makes sense to them as a perk for people staying at their resorts.

Interesting that they are testing a central stations idea. My first reaction is that there could be significant lineups if they do that and that would be the worst thing that could happen.

Seasonscraps
07-26-2009, 04:14 AM
I don't think getting fast passes should be available at the parks as they are a park perk and resort guests should not have such an overt advantage.

DisneyFanaticDargon
07-26-2009, 07:24 AM
I don't think getting fast passes should be available at the parks as they are a park perk and resort guests should not have such an overt advantage.

I agree with you here. However, if they do implement both central fastpass distribution and keep the system they already have, I stand by my previous statement that the central fastpass system, while in the parks, should only be usable by resort guests as a perk for staying on property.

They might be able to get them a few MINUTES sooner than off-property guests, but not 30-60 minutes before the park opens, which might be the case if they were at the resorts.

redleg96
07-26-2009, 07:58 AM
So, instead of complaining/raving about the idea of this and back to the original posters question. Does anybody have any concrete information about it or has anybody tried it? We can opine about the concept idea but that doesn't accomplish anything for the original poster. I for one am interested to see if it's working.

Seasonscraps
07-26-2009, 10:00 AM
I agree with you here. However, if they do implement both central fastpass distribution and keep the system they already have, I stand by my previous statement that the central fastpass system, while in the parks, should only be usable by resort guests as a perk for staying on property.

They might be able to get them a few MINUTES sooner than off-property guests, but not 30-60 minutes before the park opens, which might be the case if they were at the resorts.

Actually resort guests do get a 60 minute advantage on morning EMH days. Other then that, we just disagree. I think once everyone is in the parks, they should all be on the same playing field.

I am curious to see how this FP hub works out. I can see where it will save walking around time but that time might be spent standing on the line for FP.

Seasonscraps
07-26-2009, 10:07 AM
So, instead of complaining/raving about the idea of this and back to the original posters question. Does anybody have any concrete information about it or has anybody tried it? We can opine about the concept idea but that doesn't accomplish anything for the original poster. I for one am interested to see if it's working.

The original poster's question was answered by elmjimmlm in post #6 on the first page of this thread stating this new system was being tested at the AK. I supposed we'll know how well it works as soon as Disney makes a decision about implementing the system through out all the parks.

TheVBs
07-26-2009, 10:31 AM
I see what you're saying but people get Fast Passes all the time and don't end up using them, so that's a "problem" that already exist.

Good point! I guess the only other problem I could forsee is long lines at the resort FP machines, depending on how many they have, at the times when the largest number of people are heading towards the parks. But, again, if the line is long, you can just choose not to wait in it. If resorts did have FP machines, I would definitely make an effort to use them.

KAT1811
07-26-2009, 10:40 AM
But isn't that the original reason for the fastpass system? To get you to an area and then spend time shopping...

Many time you can grab a FP at say 11:00am that doesn't go into usage until 3:30pm. That's a whole lot of shopping! Even for a trained professional like myself. LOL! Most parks are easily navigated in respect to the FP but I find Epcot especially difficult since everything is so spread out.

JPL
07-26-2009, 11:58 AM

Hate to say it but Disney already has the software in place that will allow guests to reserve FPs from their hotel room. They just haven't tested it yet. So eventually should Disney decide to move forward resort guests will be able to get FPs from their rooms the night before. Disney wants people on proerty and they will offer more to get people to stay on property and spend more money. They also have the technology for a tiered system based on the level of resort you are staying at.

The central distribution points are a good concept but I think they need to have too many of them to make it work properly I forsee large bottlenecks and lines especially as the park opens. I can't even imagine people standing there trying to decide what ride they want a FP for and then choosing it from a menu when most average guests have trouble putting their ticket in a machine now.

badkitty
07-26-2009, 12:48 PM
Many time you can grab a FP at say 11:00am that doesn't go into usage until 3:30pm. That's a whole lot of shopping! Even for a trained professional like myself. LOL! Most parks are easily navigated in respect to the FP but I find Epcot especially difficult since everything is so spread out.

LOL! Good point! EPCOT is difficult due to the popularity of the attractions such as Soarin' and TT which puts your fastpass time very late in the day sometimes.

badkitty
07-26-2009, 12:57 PM
Hate to say it but Disney already has the software in place that will allow guests to reserve FPs from their hotel room. They just haven't tested it yet. So eventually should Disney decide to move forward resort guests will be able to get FPs from their rooms the night before. Disney wants people on proerty and they will offer more to get people to stay on property and spend more money. They also have the technology for a tiered system based on the level of resort you are staying at.

The central distribution points are a good concept but I think they need to have too many of them to make it work properly I forsee large bottlenecks and lines especially as the park opens. I can't even imagine people standing there trying to decide what ride they want a FP for and then choosing it from a menu when most average guests have trouble putting their ticket in a machine now.

Will/does this system (centralize or resort) allow you to choose more than one fastpass at a time? If not, what is the advantage except for the most popular rides like TSMM or Soarin'?

I so agree with your last comment. The decision making can really hold some people up. The lines in the morning at rope drop would be absolutely insane.

Honestly, I do not like this idea and hope they will also keep the FP at the attraction location.

JPL
07-26-2009, 01:17 PM
The technology is in place and they are not using it I believe it will allow you to choose more than one FP based on your resort category. This will not remove the in perk FP system it would be a perk for Resort Guests. It's my understnading they are only using about 15% of the FP capability meaning there are many features we have not seen but have been developed into the actual software. The Birthday FP is a perfect example of this.

It'sWDW4me
07-26-2009, 01:56 PM
I have a feeling that putting this test FP machine at the hub in AK is just that - a test. How is it working out, how are the queues, etc. If this works out, I would bet that Disney would place these centralized FP machines at several locations throughout the parks.

I can see this scenario: walk in the gate, get a FP for Safaris, mosey on over to Africa, shop a little along the way, go see how the gorillas are this morning, just before using your KS FP get one for EE, go after the poachers on KS, start moseying on over to Asia, shop a little along the way, maybe see Flights of Wonder, etc, etc. :thumbsup:

How sweet to not have to run from one end of a park to the other just to get those precious slips of paper! :number1:

goofygirl67
07-26-2009, 05:02 PM
I don't think I would like this. I only use a fastpass for select rides. At AK it is only for KS. Why should I have to wait in a huge line at the hub with people who need to get a FP for EE? That would cause a bigger wait time for me. When I go to KS I get my fastpass then go to the trail or Rafiki's by the time I am done, my FP is ready. Right now I don't think the FP line is too bad at the ride.
The pupose for FP is to reduce the amount of wait time, not increase it.

MaxPower
07-26-2009, 06:11 PM
A friend of mine was in Animal Kingdom today and said the following about the Fast Pass system being tested:

They set up new FastPass machines near the ones already in place for It's Tough To Be a Bug.

There were six new Fast Pass machines : Two for Kilimanjaro Safaris. Two for Dinosaur. And Two for Expedition Everest.

He arrived in the morning and said the lines for each were not bad. Five people deep at most when he was there.

DisneyFanaticDargon
07-26-2009, 07:16 PM
He arrived in the morning and said the lines for each were not bad. Five people deep at most when he was there.

I would imagine that, unless Disney has made some huge announcement about this, the reason there was hardly no line was that no one had heard about it.

Goes4FastPass
07-26-2009, 07:32 PM
I like this idea a lot.

As the on in out group who Goes4FastPass, I know it's a TREK even from the entrance to The Land to the FastPass machines at Soarin'

Making the guest experience more convenient is good business.

ThanxForNoticin
07-27-2009, 12:42 PM
I like the idea of a central location for gathering fast passes, perhaps in addition to the FP machines located at the attractions themselves. However, I certainly hope they keep the same one-at-a-time FP restriction in place.

I also hope they never get to the point where we have special passes for guests who are not even in the park - as in the WDW resort guests. What this is starting to sound like is that some people really want Disney to implement the Universal Studios front-of-the-line passes for resort guests (and for guests who pay extra for the privilege). I personally hope we never get to that point. I hate waiting in line as much as the next person. But paying for the front of the line just kind of rubs me the wrong way - I find it very unDisney. Just my opinion.

seanyred
07-27-2009, 01:16 PM
I have an idea that might make this new centralized system work for everyone. Have the centralized system near the front of each park. Then at each ride that has FP add one Centralized machine that can print FP for a different attraction.

For example: I'm in Tomorrow land and want to go on Autoopia but I plan on going to Frontierland and ride Splash Mtn. I go to the FP location by Space Mtn and print up a FP for Splash.

i'm grumpy
07-27-2009, 08:15 PM
I hope they can work this out. We spent all our time running across the parks to get fast passes and then breaking our necks to get back in the window time.

There's a theme park here that will let you go to the front of the line for 6 rides. For $20!!!:mad:

elmjimmlm
08-08-2009, 12:33 PM
Does anyone know if this is going to continue or is still in effect? We will be there next weekend...