PDA

View Full Version : Sell me on MNSSHP

jiifigment
07-24-2009, 10:36 AM
This is kinda weird, but apparently there's a MNSSHP on Sept 11. Seems incredibly early to me, but whatever. Honestly, I'm not a big Halloween person. It always has a dark and evil type feel to me that makes my skin crawl. However, we've done MVMCP multiple times, and back in the days before it became hugely attended, it was a BLAST. Plus, Night of Joy isn't at MK anymore, it's at DS, and it's the same night. I always liked having it at MK because there were lots of options, but again, crowds became a major issue.

Would I like MNSSHP? We love characters (even our teenagers). We've seen a huge list, but we always LOVE finding ones we've never seen before. However if they're all dressed like witches and devils, I'm not even a little interested.

Input please? :mickey:

MushuGrl
07-24-2009, 11:02 AM
It's a great time to see Villian characters you normally don't see roaming - the parade itself to me is worth it (ED! SHENZI! BONZAI!) There's also a great Haunted Mansion float (okay, there are gravediggers, but the "shovel dance" they do is INCREDIBLE).

I don't remember anyone really dressed up all evil - Donald was a pumpkin when we saw him. Minnie was a witch at one point, but she looked more like the fairies from Sleeping Beauty than a witch.

If you're a villians fan, it's worth the money.

Ours was rained out, and we really really want to go again.

However, if you get creeped out really easily, don't go trick or treating near the paddleboat.

Imagineer1981
07-24-2009, 11:03 AM
hmm, well if we love MNSSHP. IMHO its 1000x better then the xmas party. The characters are out and are dressed up for the parade, but there are tons of character that you hardly ever see and they are in normal costumes all over the parks, including a chance to see all the villians together. The atmosphere is not scary, more like a fun harvest festival.

g8rgirl29
07-24-2009, 11:09 AM
We went to MNSSHP last year and we had a blast. The fireworks were fantastic, and everyone seemed so relaxed. We all just sat on the ground in front of the castle, and for the first time not squished in like sardines with someone elbowing you for more room. It was one of the best parades I have ever seen at MK, and again no pushing and shoving while watching. Wait times for rides was very short in my opinion and during the parades most were walk ons. If I remember correctly Piglet was a butterfly and Tigger was a pirate. I don't remember it being too goulish. Many pumpkins, many cool shots of the castle with oranges and purples, and many characters(many not in costume) meets. There were many spots where you could go trick-or-treating, we got way too much candy and we didn't stop at half the spots. All in all I thought it was worth every penny and we plan to do it again this year. I have never been to any other hard sale events though so I have nothing else to compare it with.

KAJUNKING
07-24-2009, 11:18 AM
imo just the fireworks and parade are worth the price, but also its a very fun atmosphere, most attractions have very little wait, and free candy

Strmchsr
07-24-2009, 11:28 AM
This is Disney. They are not going to do anything really scary or evil. They leave that to Universal. It's a very family oriented thing with trick-or-treating and characters in different costumes. I think Daisey was a witch, but the costumes for the characters are all different. It can be quite fun if you get in the spirit of Halloween, but if not (i.e. you don't care about dressing up or trick-or-treating) then it's not worth it. I agree with Imagineer1981 that it's a ton better than the MVMCP, especially the parade and fireworks, but, again, if you're not a Halloween person then it probably wouldn't be worth the extra money.

Neo Fender
07-24-2009, 11:37 AM
I guess I’ll be the lone voice of dissent. It seems the MNSSHP ticket price has doubled since we went in 2006. Not an issue if you have mad money. Due to its popularity, Disney can just about charge whatever they want. It is a fun and interesting experience but we are choosing to pass by the last (1 Nov) event, mostly due to cost.

Disney Doll
07-24-2009, 11:53 AM
We went last year for the 1st time and LOVED it! We are going back this year and are very much looking forward to it. I love Halloween, but this is Disney Halloween so it's pretty tame. The parade and the fireworks were awesome. We're not big into characters, but we did get a kick out of seeing Cinderella's step sisters because they both played the part perfectly...primping and elbowing their way to a center position for pictures. They were hilarious! We also liked just seeing the park all decorated and walking on to any ride. The limited crowds and the extras made the price well worth it in my opinion. Everyone should experience it at least once.

T-Belle
07-24-2009, 12:19 PM
This year will be my 3rd.MNSSHP and I love it. I agree with all the above posts. It's just plain fun. Not nearly as crowded as a regular day at the park and a lot of people with little ones leave after the first parade. Also, it's really fun to see the costumes(not that you have to dress up) that people wear. My favorite last time was a family of 5 dressed as The Incredibles!

epceddie
07-24-2009, 03:12 PM
We've been four times and we love it when the headless horseman makes his ride. That starts the parade and we've seen it from Frontierland and the train station at the end of Main Street U.S.A.
It's a great parade and the Boo To You music is contagious! I find myself humming it while we leave the park.

jeffbdw
07-24-2009, 04:30 PM
If you think Halloween is scary and Evil, why would you want to go to a Halloween party? Seems like you should just go to a different park that night and save your money.

Cinderelley
07-24-2009, 05:19 PM
I'm not a big Halloween fan, but I love MNSSHP. I thought it was better than the Pirate & Princess Party. I haven't been to MVMCP to compare it to though. If you can afford it, give it a try. Then you'll know for yourself.

Septbride2002
07-24-2009, 06:00 PM
We're going to MNSSHP in early September too - seems way to early for the trick or treating. We usually go in October but we always spend evenings doing the food and wine stuff - since it won't be going on for this trip (we had to go early - long story) We decided to do the party for the first time. I'm looking forward to it and hopefully my little girl will love it.

~Amanda

MickeyandTink
07-24-2009, 06:13 PM
I guess I’ll be the lone voice of dissent. It seems the MNSSHP ticket price has doubled since we went in 2006. Not an issue if you have mad money. Due to its popularity, Disney can just about charge whatever they want. It is a fun and interesting experience but we are choosing to pass by the last (1 Nov) event, mostly due to cost.

You're not alone. While we think it would be a lot of fun, spending an additional $200+ for an additional 3-4 hours in MK to see a special parade, get some candy and have a few shorter lines for rides just isn't worth it to us.

PAYROLL PRINCESS
07-24-2009, 09:49 PM
Out of all the parties we've attended this one was the MOST fun. It's well worth the money to go. The whole atmosphere was fantastic! The park just had a whole different vibe.

Mousemates
07-24-2009, 10:41 PM
We've seen all the holiday fireworks shows over the last few years and our absolute favorite is MNSSHP.

DisneyFanaticDargon
07-25-2009, 06:35 AM
The thing about MVMCP is that it's mostly about the shows. The park is pretty much unchanged during the party, and the cocoa/cookies don't really do much for me. The parade was ok, and the fireworks were meh. I was sitting in the hub for the fireworks and then later found out that if you're standing on Main Street watching them it snows during one point in the show. I'm sure I would have enjoyed it more if I had known that beforehand.

MNSSHP has an awesome parade and AMAZING fireworks, everybody's dressed up, and the entire park is dressed up for the occasion. Not to mention there's candy EVERYWHERE.

Finally, Halloween is about the costumes, and yes, it's supposed to be a spooky holiday. People occasionally dressing up like scary things is part of the territory but I don't think it's supposed to condone deviant behavior or belief in the occult, it's just all in fun. That being said, Disney does have restrictions on costumes so that nothing overtly violent, sexual, or scary is worn by guests.

luvDaMouse
07-25-2009, 11:25 AM
Loved MNSSHP! We went last year in the beginning of Sept. As a matter of fact it was the opening day of the party! It was very hot out (weird for us since it is usually cold on Halloween where we live) My daughter is born on Halloween and we are going this year ON halloween which should be very cool! I agree with other posters that it has excellent fireworks and the parade had me humming it when I left the park too! Lots of candy and characters and the headless horseman was sooo cool coming down mainstreet! you could hear the clip clopping before you saw him! I think everyone should go at least once!:mickey:

jiifigment
07-27-2009, 12:53 AM
Thanks everybody!!! I guess this sounds more like the old e-ticket nights (boy I miss those...never getting off rides etc). I do think the headless horseman thing would be fun to see once. And we LOVE cool fireworks. This is like the only major event we've never attended at WDW, so maybe this is what we'll do.

Glad to know there's restrictions on costuming, even for guests. Over all, we trust Disney more than just about anywhere else.

Now off to sell my husband on the $! :blush:

Lakin
07-27-2009, 12:55 AM
Repeat after me:

Villains Mix and Mingle

PlutoPlanet
07-27-2009, 11:58 AM
We did it once and liked it. It was good to pretty much have the park to ourselves. The waits were much like when the park opens in the morning.

Goes4FastPass
07-27-2009, 02:28 PM
If you're not really wanting to do this then the dollars might be an issue for you.

Pre-paid prices are $52 adults and $46 children - so about $200 for a family of 4.

If you're doing a resort stay at WDW and you're already paying for a multi-day MYW admission it's something to consider.

MadMadamMim
07-27-2009, 02:44 PM
I'm 28 and my mother is 52 and it was probably one of the most fun times we have ever had together at WDW. The parade is amazing, we had to watch it twice, the fireworks are fantastic, and the overall atmosphere is wonderful. People of all ages dresses up (or not dressed up) just enjoying the idea of Halloween in a super non-threatening way.