PDA

View Full Version : Wilderness Lodge for solo traveller

pokci
07-24-2009, 07:56 AM
I've never stayed at the WL and am booking it for a solo trip right after Thanksgiving. What did you like, or not, about your stay at WL?

Thanks!

buzz2001
07-24-2009, 08:04 AM
I've never stayed there but the pictures of WL decorated for xmas look great.

gaffz70
07-24-2009, 08:47 AM
Loved the WL, it's beautiful! Lots of great views from all over the hotel. It seems like a nice relaxing place to be for a solo trip. The Christmas decorations are amazing.
I would sit in front of the fire in the lobby w/ a book or just people watch.

Have a great time!

cajunprincess
07-24-2009, 09:17 AM
I was there solo a few months back, and it was fantastic. This is probably the best place I have stayed at Disney. It is so calming and you have to check out the guyser. Caution.....you could get wet! I had a room with a balcony overlooking the pool, and it was gret being able to see the pool games that all the kids would participate in. This place was the best!

Seasonscraps
07-24-2009, 10:00 AM
I love just about everything about WL. It's beautiful, relaxing, nice dining options, boat to MK, the bartenders are REALLY nice and friendly, the walk way to the bus stop is covered, the lobby is great for people watching.

The only thing I don't like, and this is not a big deal at all, is that the restrooms for the pool are a hike from the bar. :blush:

Harriet
07-26-2009, 06:23 AM
I travel solo 98 percent of the time and WL is my home. Christmas time is truly magical in all its grandour. My last visit was in 2006 and I had a courtyard view room and it was wonderful. Do have a dinner one evening at Artist Point the service and food are to die for. You can take the boat to MK or CR and hop on the monirail to MK,Poly,GF and TT switch to Epcot. Also you are right next door to FW and the Trails End is a nice place to have an all you can eat meal- B,L,or D and if you want to make an ADR for Hoop-De-Do. This is a wonderful place to stay.:number1::thumbsup::beer::beer::beer:

buzznwoodysmom
07-26-2009, 03:00 PM
We love WL. I've never traveled solo, but one year only my mom and I visited WDW with my two children who were 5 and 7 at the time. We picked WL because its where we felt safest. A lot of WDW resorts are made up of lots of buildings, where WL is all under one roof. We felt better about that than having to walk a far distance from the bus stop to which ever building we would have been in at other resorts. If I ever travel alone to WDW, or by myself with my kids, I'll probably choose to stay at WL again. Plus you just can't beat the wonderful decorations at WL around the holidays. Its just perfect!!!

wildernesslady
07-26-2009, 05:56 PM
You will love it. There is a lodge tour that you may want to go to. Free of charge. Check at the front desk to sign up.

goofball
07-27-2009, 08:02 PM
This is IMHO the best resort on property and you are going to be there the best time of the year. The Christmas decorations are amazing. Take a walk along the paths that connect WL to the campgrounds. Read in one of the many nooks with small fireplaces in the hotel. Wander to the beach and watch the boats go by. Check out the geyser. It's amazing, you will have a wonderful time.:)

kemps@wdw
07-27-2009, 09:53 PM
We love EVERYTHING about the WL. We have had all views, and they each have their own appeal. Love to sit in the lobby, check out the pool bar (try the Dirty Banana), relax on the balcony overloking the courtyard, Artist Pointe...good but a little pricey, WCC...good food, loud and fun for kids, Roaring Forks...quick and good. But my personal fave thing @ WL is coffee on the boat dock @ sunrise! :cloud9:

jillluvsdisney
07-28-2009, 05:42 PM
There's nothing I don't love about WL. I have stayed there 3 times. It's really nicely decorated for the holidays too. I think it would be great for a solo, relaxing trip. Spend some time in a rocking chair in front of the fireplace.:cloud9:

maxrebo77
07-29-2009, 03:46 PM
WL will always be my favorite. I knew that the first time I walked into the lobby. Totem Polls, giant fireplace, rocking chairs, geyser, and so on. My first stay, 6nt for $591. I have be there solo several times and have felt at home each time. Very good trout for lunch at WCC and watching the families have fun. Check out the Iron Spike Room and find Hidden Mickeys around the resort. there is a free tour also. I like those, you always find out something to share. the different transportation choices are great also. I aways make a point to at least visit WL even if I don't stay there.

59 days!

RocknBev
07-30-2009, 11:51 AM
The first time DH and I walked into the lobby the theme from Magnificent Seven was playing and the grand lobby was as fabulous as the music. I knew we were HOOKED!

Sitting on my balcony watching the electric parade on the lake at night and listening to the creek that meanders into the beautiful pool area ain't too bad either!

Looking forward to returning in January.

kemps@wdw
08-02-2009, 11:01 PM
We've loved everything about our stays @ WL! The lodge itself is absolutely stunning. The atmosphere is relaxing, and our mousekeepers have always been great. We've had all views, but preferred the courtyard view the best. Kicking back on the balcony w/a cold one, looking out over the pool and Bay Lake day or night was very nice. And coffee on the boat dock @ sunrise is my secret little "vaca happy spot"!:secret:

disneycutie165
08-03-2009, 11:02 AM
Omg, WL is our HOME!!!!!! we stay every time we go and we love it. the whole WL is like part of the WDW experience. I highly recommend it! the only objection I will add is that your stay sometimes depends on your maid. our only bad experience with a maid was last trip, and he was a black boy who looked like he was 18 years old. he never really gave us enough of the stuff we needed. we had to constantly go down to the front desk and ask for toilet paper, towels, soap, etc. not that big of a deal, but for that quality of resort we deserved a better maid! but otherwise, WL IS GREAT!

disneycutie165
08-03-2009, 11:05 AM
The first time DH and I walked into the lobby the theme from Magnificent Seven was playing and the grand lobby was as fabulous as the music. I knew we were HOOKED!

Sitting on my balcony watching the electric parade on the lake at night and listening to the creek that meanders into the beautiful pool area ain't too bad either!

Looking forward to returning in January.

i TOTALLY AGREE! the music, the lobby, the water parade, the smell (funny... i can still sit here and recall the smell out of all things. smells to me like chlorine&milk! idk why!:confused:), the balcony...... ahhhhhh, its a good life at WL!

Mackflava99
08-13-2009, 02:31 PM
I have a good froame of reference- that might help-

One year my family and i were staying at WL- i had a business conference at the Dolphin, but since we were staying at WL i worked it out to stay at WL for 3 days till my family came-
( got my boss to let me stay there instead of Dolphin)
So for 3 days i was on my own- the conference was boring so i cut out every day around 2pm-

I found the trails behind the WL alot of fun- walk all the way to FW. Its a great trek. also explore the side trails, you will see alot of animals-
Then i agree with another Post- go do the Lodge tour with STAN- he does a good job-

Explore- its got alot of cool things to see- also make sure you go to the Villas lobby and the room next to it- there is alot of memorabilia.

I also went on a bike ride, and rented a boat- there is a ton to do.