PDA

View Full Version : Just upgraded and NO, I did not ask for it!

wishiniwasthere
07-23-2009, 10:24 PM
I almost feel guilty saying this, because of some of the threads on here bashing people for upgrades. I received an email today asking us to upgrade from All Star Sports to Saratoga Springs, or Old Key West. The email came early this morning, and I didn't read it until late this afternoon. Saratoga Springs was what was left. I took it, but honestly, I did so with some hesitation. We happen to like the values and moderates. We are park people. Hardly ever at our resort. I thought though, it might be a good opportunity just to stay somewhere that I may never have stayed before. This will be our 12th visit to Disney World, and I have no idea why we were chosen to upgrade. We had the same thing happen last year for our September visit. We were upgraded to the Contemporary. I certainly didn't book this year thinking or even hoping to be upgraded. It just happened. I would have been just as thrilled to stay at Sports, because as I said, we are park people, open to close! I have no idea why Disney does this. I guess we just happen to be lucky to be offered such a deal two years in a row.

KatMark
07-23-2009, 10:44 PM
Many people received this email today to upgrade from a value to either the SSR or OKW.

Mfarquar
07-23-2009, 11:04 PM
Congrats Wishiniwasthere! I think that's absolutely wonderful. With this being your 12th visit, you certainly deserve something for being a loyal customer!

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that we receive a similar upgrade offer for the end of September, although I am feeling a bit pessimistic about it.

I've only been upgrading to "preferred" rooms before or improved views. I'm hoping that someday we get to experience a resort upgrade. That would be :cloud9: .

I hope you and your family have a wonderful trip. My sister and brother-in-law have DVC at SSR and LOVE it. They have nothing but nice things to say about it (and this is from the couple who really wanted the Animal Kingdom or Wilderness Lodge as their home base). They said the boat ride to DTD is especially nice, and they really like the food options at the resort. Now that they've experienced SSR, they say they wouldn't trade it for anything after staying at WL and AKL villas as well! ENJOY!

tinksmom02
07-23-2009, 11:35 PM
Congrats on the upgrade! I hope you enjoy it! When in September are you going? I'm wondering if your original hotel was over-filled, and then bumped some lucky people up to Saratoga or OKW?

Anyway, all the better for you, I'm sure you'll have a great time!

Bethanymouse
07-24-2009, 12:06 AM
Yay! What fun! We were chosen for a similiar upgrade last summer from the POP to CBR. We chose not to take the upgrade since we would only be able to use it for half of our trip. I believe they had overbooked the POP at the time. Either way, enjoy the upgrade!

mouseneer
07-24-2009, 12:59 AM
:cloud9: Don't feel guilty, you're very lucky ! You would probably tell people in your situation the same thing. Congrats !!

ransam
07-24-2009, 01:31 AM
don't feel guilty, but how do i get this upgrade?

Dsnygirl
07-24-2009, 02:05 AM
:mickey: Definitely don't feel guilty -- this kind of upgrade isn't even something anyone could ask for or see coming -- it's totally random and usually coming in the best interest of Disney. They have probably overbooked the values and now need to move people to where there is availability -- usually SSR and OKW since they're so huge. At least this seems to be what other folks who are "in the know" seem to say happens yearly in August/September... makes me think about booking a value room next year if we travel in August!! ;) So don't feel bad about it at all, go and have a good time exploroing a new resort!! :thumbsup:

tinklight
07-24-2009, 06:48 AM
When you receive an upgrade do you pay the value resort price or the Saratoga Springs price ? :party:

Tink1
07-24-2009, 07:41 AM
This PIN is for a complimentary upgrade, so you pay the value resort price

nanc

DisneyorBust
07-24-2009, 07:48 AM
Congratulations wishiniwasthere! You have no reason to feel guilty! Disney sent you the code, you didn't ask for it. Go and enjoy your vacation and your "Magical" upgrade.
Have a fantastic trip.

MississippiDisneyFreak
07-24-2009, 08:40 AM
Oh don't feel guilty, I think that's part of the magical part of Disney, getting something wonderful you didn't expect to get. I think most of the people ranting are about people who ask for an upgrade...

BMan62
07-24-2009, 09:09 AM
Congratulations!!! I wish that would happen to us for our stay at Pop in September.

Not that I would be displeased staying at Pop!! That is our preferred resort - inexpensive, wonderful kitschy theming, etc. (And I know that in the time frame we will be there, Pop is booked solid [although probably not at 100%])

TheVBs
07-24-2009, 09:27 AM
Congratulations! :mickey: No reason in the world why you should feel guilty. It's wonderful news! Can't wait to hear what you think of it.

afowl1017
07-24-2009, 09:39 AM
Congrats WishinIwasthere ! I agree with everyone...there should be no guilt involved. You were lucky to be chosen, it is a magical surprise. Hope you have fun and I know you will really like staying at your upgrade! Have a wonderful trip!

Lisa417
07-24-2009, 10:57 AM
VERY EXCITING!! ENJOY!!:party:

Gooftroop5
07-24-2009, 11:00 AM
Congrats! Enjoy your upgrade!

Ksmith75
07-24-2009, 11:07 AM
Same thing happened to our friends. They waited too long to call (a couple of hours) and wanted the Key West - but got SS - but what a great upgrade - they have a couple of kids - so it will be great for them...

Disney Doll
07-24-2009, 11:59 AM
What a nice surprise! I hope you enjoy the trip!!

Emme&TeddysMommy
07-24-2009, 12:05 PM
Just wondering who does the email come from? I get so many emails a day I hope I dont ever delete anything this special!
Hope you have a great trip enjoy your upgrade:mickey:

Hammer
07-24-2009, 12:20 PM
Congratulations! You received an upgrade PIN, which you CAN'T ask for. Nothing to cause guilt.

Personally, having stayed at both OKW and SSR, I prefer SSR (I own at SSR). I like the rooms at SSR better than OKW. I found the rooms at OKW to be dated as well as liking the QS options better at SSR.

MickeyandTink
07-24-2009, 12:53 PM
Just wondering who does the email come from? I get so many emails a day I hope I dont ever delete anything this special!
Hope you have a great trip enjoy your upgrade:mickey:

The email sender for us was DisneyDestinations. Definitely check your e-mail daily. We called a friend of ours who is going the week after us to let them know of our good fortune and told them to check their e-mail as well. Sure enough, they had the same offer, so now they are staying at OKW instead of the All-Stars. She said she likely would have just deleted it without reading if we hadn't called to tell her about it. :pixie: to all!

Checkers
07-24-2009, 01:51 PM
:mickey:Congratulations and enjoy the upgrade. My DD and her family as well as her in-laws got the email and upgrade, too! They were at POP and now they are going to be in a studios at SS. It is really great for them as they have 3 children (5, 3, 6 mos.) and would have had to rent a refrig. and now they don't. Also, it is nice to have that balcony! I am just thrilled for anybody that got upgraded, what a great way to start the "magic"!

LibertyTreeGal
07-24-2009, 02:34 PM
Hey, totally cool! :mickey:

WDWCrazyKaren
07-24-2009, 04:00 PM
Awesome! Makes me almost wish we hadn't upgraded from All Star Music to POR a few months ago!

Have an amazing time, and don't let others get in the way of your FANTASTICNESS! (I made that up)

BluewaterBrad
07-24-2009, 04:33 PM
Good for You!! Thats Awesome!!:mickey:

RockinRollerMom
07-24-2009, 04:52 PM
I can't believe it, but I got this pin code too. Thankfully we got the e-mail within minutes of it being sent. We called right away and they gave us a 1 bedroom suite at OKW. We were originally booked at POP Sept. 11th-18th. I am so excited to get the chance to stay at OKW.

RedSoxFan
07-24-2009, 05:10 PM
congrats to both of you with the upgrades. that is so awesome. enjoy.:mickey:

LoriSan
07-24-2009, 08:08 PM
has anyone that booked through a travel agent (MJ or others) received this, or just folks that booked directly through Disney? I'm booked at POP , and I'm having a hard time explaining to DS why we won't be at SSR, which is where we stayed last time. I would LOVE to get this pin.

RockinRollerMom
07-24-2009, 10:00 PM
has anyone that booked through a travel agent (MJ or others) received this, or just folks that booked directly through Disney? I'm booked at POP , and I'm having a hard time explaining to DS why we won't be at SSR, which is where we stayed last time. I would LOVE to get this pin.

We booked directly through disney.

Emme&TeddysMommy
07-25-2009, 10:05 AM
The email sender for us was DisneyDestinations. Definitely check your e-mail daily. We called a friend of ours who is going the week after us to let them know of our good fortune and told them to check their e-mail as well. Sure enough, they had the same offer, so now they are staying at OKW instead of the All-Stars. She said she likely would have just deleted it without reading if we hadn't called to tell her about it. :pixie: to all!

Thanks for the info!:blush:

I don’t know how true this is, but when I was talking with a Disney reservationist today she told me that if you booked on a bounce back offer from last year your not eligible for any pins/free offers. Does anyone know if this is true or not? I hope this is not true, we booked during that time last year and we have never received a pin of any kind. I read everyday of people getting pins and have always wondered why we have never gotten one. Could this be the reason why?

PS congratulations to all you lucky pin winners hope you all have great trips!

mickeefan
07-25-2009, 01:36 PM
We were at the Grand Floridian in December and were on a bounceback offer. When we arrived we were greatly surprised that they had moved us to the Sugarloaf building.
This was our 50th anniversary trip so that may have had something to do with it.

jimsgal05
07-25-2009, 04:28 PM
my parents just got the PIn # for the upgrade but they thought it was junk mail..so they did not do anything...so I was able to fine that email..MY Dad called got SAR.Springs key west was all booked up...
So then I got on the phone and ask...we had a "family trip planned with my parents staying at POp toghther now they are at Sar. springs and we are at the POP. but we didn't get a PIn # for an up grade...well they gave us an up grade to a 1 room villa there becasue we were travling togther!!!!

HELLO can you say happy, mind you I never been to sar.springs and alot of people don't like it...but hey we will try it out!!! plus we have the free DDP....:mickey:

Sam&Alex&Josh'sMOM
07-26-2009, 04:58 PM
what time were people who received this upgrade going? We are staying at POP in Sept. Sept 26-Oct 2... Id be over the moon to get this upgrade

Carolanne
07-26-2009, 05:56 PM
OP, don't feel guilty. And congrats to all those who were lucky enough to receive those PINs:mickey:.

We were staying at Pop Century 9/20 to 9/25, but I few weeks ago I switched us to OKW as a treat for my mom. Maybe if I had waited a smidge longer...

SurferStitch
07-27-2009, 03:37 PM
Congrats! Take that upgrade, run with it, and enjoy it!!

We got an amazing upgrade last year from garden view to concierge at the Grand Flo, and we never once, not even for a millisecond, felt guilty the entire 13 days we were there! Not when we were having hors d'oeuvre and champagne before dinner, or drinks in the evening, or roses and champagne in our room, or free gifts left for us.....NOT ONCE!!

Enjoy!!! Who knows....you may find a new favorite place to stay in WDW.

artyboy
07-27-2009, 03:50 PM
Good for you! Have an awesome time!

wishiniwasthere
07-28-2009, 07:59 PM
what time were people who received this upgrade going? We are staying at POP in Sept. Sept 26-Oct 2... Id be over the moon to get this upgrade

We are going September 13 through the 19th. Can't wait!

LoriSan
07-29-2009, 02:12 PM
I got on the phone and ask...we had a "family trip planned with my parents staying at POp toghther now they are at Sar. springs and we are at the POP. but we didn't get a PIn # for an up grade...well they gave us an up grade to a 1 room villa there becasue we were travling togther!!!!

anybody who got the upgrade from Sept 13-19 wanna be my family?? :blush:

Emme&TeddysMommy
07-29-2009, 05:43 PM

Thats so funny we will be at pop at the same time as you and your family. Were also not too far from CT. Were from Your neighbor to the north good old MA. What part of CT are you from if you don't mind me asking?

LilRonGal
07-29-2009, 05:47 PM
I'd LOVE to get a random upgrade. I'll keep hoping!

In the meantime, ENJOY IT! Stop feeling guilty and go party! :party:

Enjoy your trip!

LoriSan
08-02-2009, 07:30 PM
am I the only one stalking my own email account, hoping to see that email from Disney Destinations? :blush:

Sam&Alex&Josh'sMOM
08-02-2009, 09:24 PM
I keep checking several times a day. I have to believe though that only those that booked on the WDW website are getting this. Has anyone who booked through MJ or another TA ever gotten a discount of this magnitude?

LoriSan
08-03-2009, 07:59 AM
according to Kathy at MJ, some of her clients HAVE gotten it.

sisterslovindisney
08-03-2009, 08:56 AM
I've gotten several over the past two years and wasn't even booked. Now I'm booked through MJ for Jan 2010 and still got one. Not the right time frame but hoping another will come for our trip.

lightyearfan
08-03-2009, 10:11 AM
I would have been just as thrilled to stay at Sports, because as I said, we are park people, open to close! I have no idea why Disney does this. I guess we just happen to be lucky to be offered such a deal two years in a row.

first off congrats and don't feel embarassed at all. me and dw will be in the world in sept as well, and like you we are park people and also do open to close, and like you stay at the All Stars Resort (music for us), but if i were to get an email about a upgrade that wouldn't cost us anythng i would do it in a heartbeat, not because we don't like the All Stars, we love them, it's because i probably wouldn't stay at an moderate or deluxe again, because we are park people and there would be no need to spend that extra money. so c'mon Disney send me that upgrade email, and if not that's fine too, like i said we love the All Stars so no biggie

enjoy your trip
VIctor