PDA

View Full Version : Should we upgrade to SSR or OKW?

MickeyandTink
07-23-2009, 01:00 PM
Never thought it would happen to us, but we just received an e-mail with a PIN code for free upgrade from POP to a studio room at either SSR or OKW during our Sept. trip. :woohoo:

We've never been to either as we've only been able to afford Values during our previous trips. I value fellow Intercotee's opinions and would appreciate any advice you have. Should we upgrade (I would think so, but maybe not), and if so, which one do you think is better.

Here's our situation. It's myself :smickey:, DW :tink:, DD 8, almost 9 and DS 3 (turning 4 during the trip). Additionally, DW's parents are joining us, and are staying at POP. Do you think they would be able to upgrade as well?

caryrae
07-23-2009, 03:21 PM
That is awesome. I have been reading on another Disney thread where serveral people were getting codes to upgrade from a value to SSR or OKW. I know since my wife and I love Key West we would stay at OKW.

g8rgirl29
07-23-2009, 03:51 PM
That is great, I Love hearing about these upgrades, Disney Magic!! My vote is for OKW!! At either resort you will get a small fridge, and microwave. You can also use the laundry facilities by the pools, which are free, which really helps to cut down on how much you pack. I would ask if both rooms could be upgraded since you are traveling together, the worst that could happen is they say no.

queenii
07-23-2009, 07:39 PM
I got the same email. I've been waiting years for an upgrade like this and now I'm not so sure it is the best choice. We too are staying at Pop and my kids don't want to try OKW or SSR. I myself am not sure we will be happy here either. I do not like the idea of many different bus stops in a resort. Things like the food and pools being so far away you need to take a bus to get to them doesn't sound like a vacation to me.

Plus, I love the loud kid friendly look at Pop. We are coming with friends who have never been to Disney at all and I want the kids to be happy. I think the room is going to be much nicer but we only get 1 bed and two will need to sleep on a pull-out.

Am I crazy to pass on this offer?

ThanxForNoticin
07-23-2009, 08:01 PM

In a word - yes.

Our preference is OKW, which is extremely kid-friendly. The main area at OKW includes the pool, boat rentals, bike rentals, ping pong, basketball, shuffleboard, tennis, a sand/beach area, and the community hall where they have activities much of the day. And if you are not located near the main area, there are several quiet pools around the grounds - but we've never found it to be much of a problem to hop any of the buses (internal or theme park) to catch a ride to the main pool. Hope you have a great trip, no matter where you stay!

Disdude
07-23-2009, 10:20 PM
I will throw in a vote for SSR. Our last 2 stays at OKW were not as nice as they could have been. The resort is terrific but the rooms we stayed in were past due for refurbishment. I'm not usually one to complain about the rooms but both smelled very musty (think gym) and the tile was in need of new grout. I would stay there in a heartbeat but given a choice, I would stay at SSR. All of the rooms we've stayed in at SSR have been in much better condition.

While I've never stayed at POP, I don't think you could go wrong upgrading to either resort.

wishiniwasthere
07-23-2009, 10:28 PM
If you're going to do it, you better act quickly. I got the same email today and when I called, OKW was filled and they only had certain rooms available at SS. We are in SS.

RockinRollerMom
07-23-2009, 10:42 PM
I got this pin too. We called right away (we happened to get the e-mail right as it came in) and got a 1 bedroom suite at OKW. It has totally made my day!

Pirate Granny
07-23-2009, 10:47 PM
Well...we did a split trip one year...1/2 at the Pop and 1/2 at SSR...very little food court at SSR, I don't believe that OKW has a food court...yep you can order food and have it delivered...but cooking is not in my vocabulary, especially on vacation...so...we were also lucky that we were the first building by the main pool and check-in and small store...and yes, twenty steps for the bus stop...so it was no big deal for us (2 adults) to stay at SSR...If I had my grandchildren and been in a different building it truly would've been a pain...to be fair the SSR and I imagine OKW rooms are much bigger and much nicer...and as long as it's the kids sleeping on the pull out...should be fine...I do LOVE the patio's that you get with the Studios...I wasn't a fan of the SSR main pool...very small for the resort size and not themed that well...hot tub was nice though...a perk there.
:pirate:

aurora, ariel, and bell
07-24-2009, 07:03 AM
Just curious, when in Sept are you going and how long ago did you book.
Are the upgrades usually given to the people who book first?, Or the ones who have recently booked??:confused:

Tink1
07-24-2009, 07:32 AM
Just curious, when in Sept are you going and how long ago did you book.
Are the upgrades usually given to the people who book first?, Or the ones who have recently booked??:confused:

They are very date and party size dependent. What Disney did was oversold certain value resorts for certain dates. Since they do not have enough rooms to house them, they move them up to a resort that has not sold as well.

The PIN client I had was booked at Music arriving the 3rd week of September.

Nanc

BMan62
07-24-2009, 09:26 AM
Does this seem to be going out to people who are checking in on a weekend, or does that matter?

We are checking into Pop Century on Tuesday of the third week of September and we booked early on in the "Free DDP" offering time frame.

Not complaining, but trying to figure out if there is some kind of logic to the way this is being done.

Tink1
07-24-2009, 09:58 AM
At this point in time, I personally do not have enough data to form a hypothosis.

Nanc

<edited to add> I sound like a geek! Can you tell I used to work in science?

KAT1811
07-24-2009, 10:32 AM

Um. . . yes!

The rooms are much larger, refrigerator and microwave will come in handy, pool is better with a slide (the kids will love it), I believe they are also having movie nights, boat to DTD. . .

MickeyandTink
07-24-2009, 12:15 PM
I got the same email. I've been waiting years for an upgrade like this and now I'm not so sure it is the best choice. We too are staying at Pop and my kids don't want to try OKW or SSR. I myself am not sure we will be happy here either. I do not like the idea of many different bus stops in a resort. Things like the food and pools being so far away you need to take a bus to get to them doesn't sound like a vacation to me.

Plus, I love the loud kid friendly look at Pop. We are coming with friends who have never been to Disney at all and I want the kids to be happy. I think the room is going to be much nicer but we only get 1 bed and two will need to sleep on a pull-out.

Queeni, that's exactly how we felt. We, especially the kids, really like POP. The theming is wonderful and we've always been able to get near the food court and bus stops. However, we decided it really was too good an offer to pass up. Especially once we found out when we called that we could get 1 BR's at SSR and could also get my in-laws (who are joining us on the trip) upgraded from POP to SSR as well. The convenience to DTD will be really nice. If we are fortunate enough to get a good room near the bus stop and main pool, it will be more than perfect :cloud9:

RockinRollerMom
07-24-2009, 04:39 PM
We are going Sept. 11th - Sept. 18th. It's a Friday to Friday. When we called they said that these upgrades were given completely by random. ????????? All I know if that I have gone to WDW well over 10 times and have never received any type of upgrade. I really felt like we hit the lottery. I know the upgrade was for a suite at OKW or SSR. Somehow the CM booked us in a 1 bedroom suite. (We did call back immediately, within minutes of when the e-mail was sent) I know we would have been very happy at POP, but we are soooooooo excited to try OKW.