PDA

View Full Version : 21 month old at Disney?

disneykid@hrt
07-23-2009, 10:55 AM
I am taking my now 18 month old daughter to Disney for the first time in October!! I have been atleast 20 times myself, but I havent really paid attention to the toddler attractions. Can anyone tell me what we absolutely will love, or a particular strategy that we should take? We have three and a half days in the park!! SOOOO excited!:mickey:

Imagineer1981
07-23-2009, 11:11 AM
Our son will be 18months when we take him August. I think we will stick to simple rides like small world, pirates, etc. and just take it easy. Like you, we have been multiple times so we don't have to hit every ride. We are going to try and go on his schedule and hope for the best

Disney Doll
07-23-2009, 11:30 AM
I took my son at 15months and we will be back when he's 23 months. Last time we did most all of the rides without a height restriction. We also did the Playhouse Disney show in DHS which he loved and his most favorite thing in all of WDW was playing in the fountains. We spent a good deal of time at Donald's Boat in MK and the pop fountains at EPCOT.

chefmickey3
07-23-2009, 11:36 AM
We have always taken our small toddlers. We have had much success being at the park when it opens. Take time for afternoon naps. My boys love Pooh so that is a favorite in MK. Plan some character meals. I agree with PP, Playhouse Disney in DHS is a favorite as well. The Jungle Trek in AK is fun to look at the more exotic animals. Have fun!

afowl1017
07-23-2009, 11:43 AM
I have been to WDW with all my three when they were toddlers...and I agree with the posters take it easy, do those rides with no height restrictions, definitely do Playhouse Disney, the play areas and water fountain areas, if the baby isn't too cranky try to do the lighted parade at night (my babies loved the lights and music). Oh and use those babycare centers too...what a nice way to get away for a moment. If you need a larger break hop on a bus and head back to your resort for a little nap.

Enjoy and have fun making wonderful memories you will never forget with your little one. It is priceless!

Cinderella's mom
07-23-2009, 12:57 PM
Let me preface this by saying that once you see the world through the eyes of your child, it totally changes your view of it. The first time we took our 22 month old DD to WDW, she loved it. We went on the small rides like IASW, PP, SWSA, POTC, Philharmagic, etc. She did not like the HM even back then. When we took our 20 month DS four year later, he loved WDW too. Rode about the same with him, but had to do the baby swap so we could each ride with our DD. We are planning our trip for the week of Thanksgiving this year when he will be 3yo. We are going to hit Splash Mountain because he is over the 40 inches. That is DD's favorite ride! I can't wait!

Just make sure that you take PLENTY of rest breaks during the day. Our kids slept in the strollers so we did not have to leave the park every day. We just found a small out of the way shaded place for them to rest.

LibertyTreeGal
07-23-2009, 05:47 PM
Do Storytime with Belle, it is a riot!

candleshoe
07-24-2009, 03:54 PM
Kids just love those cute little bugs in the "tough to be a bug" show in the tree of life. And what little kids doesn't love Stitch? I suggest Stitches Great Escape.:thedolls:

PharmD
07-24-2009, 05:19 PM
We took our youngest son when he was 8 months old. As most have posted most rides with no height requirements are great. Amazingly enough the thing he liked the most was the fireworks. You would think at 8 months the noise would have been an issue but it wasn't. Also taking a break about mid-day seemed to work out great for him as well as us :D. Just go slow and easy and don't be in a hurry. Like some have posted above it's amazing to see WDW through your childs eyes. Makes you stop and appreciate the simpler things.

KAT1811
07-24-2009, 07:00 PM
. . . his most favorite thing in all of WDW was playing in the fountains. . .

Bring a change of clothes for these. A couple years back I had to buy DD#3 a whole new outfit! LOL!

For us, seasoned WDW parents of 4 (we are taking DS 4 months for the first time in November along with the rest of the crew! LOL!), we just keep going like normal and the kids love it. They nap in the stroller and we take that time to ride the rides that they cannot. If you plan on riding any rides that the little one can't utilize "baby swap". I guess the best advice I could give is to do Fantasyland first thing in the morning as soon as MK opens to avoid long waits. And bring a very comfy stroller with a large sunshade and stroller fans to keep the little one cool in the hot Florida sun! A little blanket and sweatshirt is always helpful as the air gets really cool. I'm sure I can think of a few more things.

Belster
07-24-2009, 11:29 PM
We too DS last October when he was 9 months old and we are going again this October with him he will also be 21 months old.

You will have a fantastic time...we are also like you and have been soooooo many times. We never limit ourselves the kids will adjust. We take him oneverything that does not have a height restriction. We also do all of the shows. We have two other kids with a rather wide age gap so we aim to please all.. there is nothing like being at Disney with your children...enjoy him while you are there.

Imagineer1981
07-27-2009, 01:17 PM
Kids just love those cute little bugs in the "tough to be a bug" show in the tree of life. And what little kids doesn't love Stitch? I suggest Stitches Great Escape.:thedolls:

I don't think a 21 month old child will like either of those attractions due to the darkness and scary scenes. Plus stitch they probably aren't tall enough

MaxPower
07-27-2009, 02:13 PM
The favorite attraction for any 2 year old is ALWAYS running through those fountains.

KAT1811
07-27-2009, 04:12 PM
I don't think a 21 month old child will like either of those attractions due to the darkness and scary scenes. Plus stitch they probably aren't tall enough

I think he was kidding with the little devil face :thedolls: at the end and all! ;) LOL! My kids love ITTBAB (12, 4, 2, & 4 months) I just make sure we have the little ones (2 & 4 months) on our laps so they don't get "stung". :mickey:

afowl1017
07-27-2009, 04:24 PM
Not knowing exactly what this attraction was...My husband and I took our 1st son who was 18 mo. at the time in to see it! OH what a mistake...He was terrified, bless his heart, he was shaking when we got out. I felt so awful. It is a very loud show with blowing air, stinky smells, and lots of surprises!!! It is fine for those who are able to handle those kind of fun surprises though...he just wasn't ready ( and we were holding him too).

KAT1811
07-27-2009, 04:39 PM
Not knowing exactly what this attraction was...My husband and I took our 1st son who was 18 mo. at the time in to see it! OH what a mistake...He was terrified, bless his heart, he was shaking when we got out. I felt so awful. It is a very loud show with blowing air, stinky smells, and lots of surprises!!! It is fine for those who are able to handle those kind of fun surprises though...he just wasn't ready ( and we were holding him too).

Being familiar with the attraction we were always prepared for what was coming and always make it fun for the kids. "Silly, stinky bugs, peee ewww. . ." That sort of stuff. Our kids always found it fun because we always knew when they were going to need us to make them see the fun side. That would be tough going into an attraction that no one knew what to expect.

MichaelMouse
07-29-2009, 10:40 PM
I brought my child at 16 months old and he loved it. We brought him on most of the rides at the Magic Kingdom: Pirates, Flying Carpet, Tiki room, Haunted Mansion, Small World, Peter Pan, Snow White, Philharmonic, Carousel, Dumbo, Pooh, Tea Cups (No Spinning), Buzz, Carousel of Progress, People Mover, Laugh Factory. That's a lot for one park.

Hollywood Studios: definitley hit the Playhouse Dance party in the evening hours. Your kids can dance with all the characters including Mickey. My son had a blast.

Just got back today, my son is now 2.5 years old. What a difference from last year. Last year he was great, but this year he was amazing. In one word: Priceless.:mickey::mickey::mickey:

MichaelMouse
07-29-2009, 10:45 PM

SOUNDS like Figment: journey through imagination at Epcot