PDA

View Full Version : Secret Life of an American Teenager Show

Granny Jill A
07-22-2009, 01:51 PM
I have not seen this show, only previews announcing it.

I'm a little concerned about young people getting the idea that pregnancy and teen parenthood is glamorous. Naturally, these "TV kids" seem to be uniformly attractive, well-to-do, and blemish-free.

The reality is quite different for teen parents, and I'm not sure this is the right message for ABC/Disney to be giving children.

I'm interested in hearing from people who have seen the show. Am I way behind the times or what?

Erin C.
07-22-2009, 03:22 PM
I actually have a 15 year old daughter and when the show first came on last year we watched it together. The message at the beginning was that this was a life changing experience and they did not glamourize it .... I have to say that now that she has had the baby it is much, much different. Not a great message...in my opinion anyways.

murphy1
07-23-2009, 11:19 AM
What's worse is they have the mom of the pregnant teen now pregnant with some guy and still married to another guy. Everyone on this show is doing "it" too, they are glamorizing the whole issue imo

DizNee143
07-23-2009, 11:33 AM
ya i think its a bit overkill with the whole sex thing..teenagers dont talk about it THAT much..
still a pretty good show..i enjoy it!

murphy1
07-23-2009, 11:50 AM
If you want to see how it really is, just visit Fantasyland at nap time!

Granny Jill A
07-23-2009, 02:20 PM
If you want to see how it really is, just visit Fantasyland at nap time!

Oh my, yes! :D

pink
07-25-2009, 04:18 PM
I'm a little concerned about young people getting the idea that pregnancy and teen parenthood is glamorous. Naturally, these "TV kids" seem to be uniformly attractive, well-to-do, and blemish-free.

This show by no means makes teenage pregnancy glamorous. I don't know what attracts me to this show, really it's just one big public safety announcement about the consequences of sex. However, the characters are likeable so I continue to watch it. So far the show has shown as pregnancy can make you lose friendships, how painful it is, how having a child can stop you from having freedom, how it makes your relationship twice as diffulcult. :mickey: