PDA

View Full Version : Rude People In The Hall Of Presidents!

KAJUNKING
07-20-2009, 03:08 PM
Since i just read the rude people in the hm thread, i thought id start my own gripe. Last September while watching the hall of presidents with my dw dd9 and ds7, they were naming all of the presidents and when they got to George W Bush some people in the audience started booing :mad: , only for a second though because the whole place erupted into clapping :D. I just don't get it, all politics aside he is the President of the United States and no matter how you feel about him he still deserves respect, no matter my political leanings or my personal approval of a certain president i would never boo his name anywhere much less an attraction in wdw!

DizneyRox
07-20-2009, 03:31 PM
Didn't we discuss this incident before? I remember a HOP Bush bashing thread a while back.

Because of that, I did mention that on opening day of the new HOP, I noticed there didn't seem to be any type of disturbance during the naming of the presidents (Bush or Obama, or even Nixon, or Clinton, or whoever). Which I found encouraging...

Marceline
07-20-2009, 03:52 PM
Since i just read the rude people in the hm thread, i thought id start my own gripe. Last September while watching the hall of presidents with my dw dd9 and ds7, they were naming all of the presidents and when they got to George W Bush some people in the audience started booing :mad: , only for a second though because the whole place erupted into clapping :D. I just don't get it, all politics aside he is the President of the United States and no matter how you feel about him he still deserves respect, no matter my political leanings or my personal approval of a certain president i would never boo his name anywhere much less an attraction in wdw!

Nope, he WAS...past tense...we have a new Commander in Chief last time I checked. :thumbsup: :blush:

You have to admit last Sept. was a politically charged time, right before the election, tensions and opinions were high.

But your right, it was tacky....any form of booing anywhere is terribly negative and tacky.

clou1028
07-20-2009, 03:54 PM
That is so annoying! Don't people realize they are animatronics? What good does it do to boo them? Why do people have to ruin the experience for everyone?

I love HoP,it one of my favorite attractions, because I love American History. I would be so mad if were ruined for me like that.

DVC2004
07-20-2009, 03:58 PM
Disney's not immune to people acting and behaving badly. Line jumping, cursing in front of children, jumping in front of you at the parade, plopping down in the middle of the theater...I've witnessed all of these over the years.

All you can do is show a good example for your kids or those around you and try to ignore the rest.

Missy_Mouses_Dad
07-20-2009, 04:14 PM
A friend of mine once told me, "It is what it is." No matter what/where/or who, there is always somebody who likes or dislikes something. It's silly to boo animatronics, I agree. But isn't the foundation of what our country was built on...the basic right to express our opinion. Unfortunately it is normally at the expense of others. We love HoP and the history behind. I get goose bumps when they all come to life. At the cost of getting smacked by DW, I have told rude people to be quiet at this exhibit, in particular. If they would be quiet and listen, they may just learn something this time around, it's obvious most didn't the first time..or they wouldn't be so rude.

Mendelson
07-20-2009, 04:28 PM
all politics aside he is the President of the United States and no matter how you feel about him he still deserves respect

I don't think people should boo at WDW and this reflects not at all on my feelings about GWB, but I couldn't disagree more with this statement.

Simply getting elected president doesn't automatically mean someone earns the respect of the electorate. In fact, given the considerable power a president has, his actions can easily earn him a great deal of disrespect should he seriously cause harm to the country. I don't have respect for James Buchanan, for example, because of the atrocious administration he ran (I'll put enough time between us and a bad president so as not to enflame passions!).

Normally I have respect for ministers, to use an analogy, but would not respect a minister who was stealing from the church coffers...simply because he had the title of "minister."

SFTrny
07-20-2009, 04:35 PM
I've never seen or understood the point of publicly bashing any President. It's fair to express an opinion or perspective in the appropriate environment, but boo'ing or bashing just seems silly. I mean...the President does represent all of us (US citizens, that is). And he was elected by all of us. Yes...even if you didn't personally vote for him, he still was elected by the nation as a whole - and we are all a part of that. So you are in effect "boo'ing" yourself, the country, and the electoral process that brought the president into office. By publicly bashing him, you are effectively criticizing everyone who did vote for him - and to a degree, everyone who didn't vote at all. So that would be the majority of any general sampling of the population.

I would think that it would be possible that the people who were boo'ing were not US citizens, which means that they are exempt from the criteria above....but that would just make them rude guests.

What I am happy about is that the crowd recognized the situation and started clapping - probably not for GWB, but more in opposition to the boo'ing. I am glad to see that we are generally better behaved and that the rude people are the exception!

Daisy'sMom
07-20-2009, 07:50 PM
I think bashing a President is wrong, but criticism of a president and his policies is what this country is about. If you do not agree with what they are doing, the constitution gives us the right to voice our opinions. And frankly, I would not want it any other way.
However, I don't think Disney and booing is the proper place to do so.

Mousemates
07-20-2009, 09:30 PM
I don't have respect for James Buchanan, for example, because of the atrocious administration he ran (I'll put enough time between us and a bad president so as not to enflame passions!).

So now I finally know the identity of the scallywag who booed James Buchanan and Andrew Johnson on our last trip to the HOP. :D

KevMcNJ
07-20-2009, 10:51 PM
So now I finally know the identity of the scallywag who booed James Buchanan and Andrew Johnson on our last trip to the HOP. :D

Yeah and that Zacahry Taylor still makes my blood boil too ;)

hopefully we will be there in 6 months and i will remain silent thruout the whole show so my wife doesnt remain furious with me for the rest of the day. I may mutter a few unmentionables under my breath however LOL

Of course I got into a political argumet with a stranger in a diner once so she never knows what I might do in public:number1:

Darin M
07-21-2009, 12:20 AM
I guess that might mean something.

MichaelMouse
07-21-2009, 01:46 AM
Some people are just plain low-lives. If you disrespect a president to that extent, you are ONLY disrespecting your country and shouldn't live in the USA. Where are our values????

Try boooing Obama's animatronic and it would become prime time news.

People who are against G.W.Bush need to start showing more respect for a guy who protected them after 9/11. How quick we forget what happened on that day.....SAD, SAD, SAD.

mouseneer
07-21-2009, 03:27 AM
Nope, he WAS...past tense...we have a new Commander in Chief last time I checked.
Last time I checked it's called the Hall Of Presidents, not Hall Of Obama and the Former Presidents. Plus, I'm with ya Michael Mouse; dissing BHO is very very taboo.

Jeniflower
07-21-2009, 07:50 AM
As a visitor from Scotland with a sarcastic temprement, it is sometimes very tempting to say something in a staged whisper to my sister at AA or HOP, in fun of course. But itry not to because while we are all entitled to our own opinions, there are proper forums for these, and evry one deserves respect. Booing would be so inappropriate, and doesn't accomplish anything. so leave it outside the park entrance.

brownie
07-21-2009, 08:39 AM
You respect the office, even if you don't respect the person who holds the office.

Mendelson
07-21-2009, 08:44 AM

Lol...

And did you notice that my spit ball narrowly missed him!

Disney Doll
07-21-2009, 09:21 AM
I do not begrudge anyone who wants to voice their distaste for a president, but booing an animatronic show just seems silly and is inconsiderate of the other guests who are trying to enjoy the show. I would guess that the OP's negative experience had a lot to do with the political climate at the time given that we were in an election year with strong emotions on both sides. That doesn't make it okay, but I don't think we have to worry about disruptions at HOP all the time. Personally I am more worried about the "president always deserves respect" crowd. Dissent is the highest form of patriotism.

KAJUNKING
07-21-2009, 11:18 AM
Try boooing Obama's animatronic and it would become prime time news.

cnn would have a whole news team in the magic kingdom

Last time I checked it's called the Hall Of Presidents, not Hall Of Obama and the Former Presidents. Plus, I'm with ya Michael Mouse; dissing BHO is very very taboo.
:ditto:

You respect the office, even if you don't respect the person who holds the office.

that was my original point, there are some presidents i really dont care for, but to boo them out loud in a theme park attraction is a little ignorant

Greenlawler
07-21-2009, 11:27 AM
I wonder if the Jimmy Carter animatronic was booed during his rough stretch?

I wish they would give speaking roles to some of the lesser known presidents....the really good ones like maybe Polk. The appreciation we give him for actually not running for re-election after accomplishing his goals in four years is to forget about him.

woah sorry abou the soap box:blush: Anywho,
my wife swore that one or two of them were real last time we were there :mickey:

Pagan
07-21-2009, 12:08 PM
That's okay, give Obama a few more months.

They'll be booing him too, ;)

Greenlawler
07-21-2009, 01:05 PM

I doubt it. He is made of teflon. I think he could do no wrong with the majority of public perception. Just like he could do no right with others.

Think JFK no offense to anyone, but historians do not regard him very highly yet the general public lists him as one of the greatest ever.

We will all see, but next time I am in HOFP I am cheering loudly for Polk.:thumbsup:

Nascfan
07-21-2009, 01:53 PM
Booing what basically amounts to a robot. Makes a lot of sense. :rolleyes:

Some people definitely check their common sense at the door.

TheVBs
07-21-2009, 03:18 PM
All politics aside, HOP is an attraction that people want to see and hear, so any cheering or booing shouldn't be going on.

Haven't been to it in years, but it's going to be on my must see list for the next trip! :mickey:

KevMcNJ
07-21-2009, 11:21 PM

Like at the All Star game? If hes made of teflon, its warrantee expired after 6 months

So are you still in a Post-Stanley Cup high Pagan?

Fun series to watch. Im not a Pens fan but I wanted them to win it all after the Rangers went quickly and meekly

dnickels
07-22-2009, 12:57 AM
Booing what basically amounts to a robot. Makes a lot of sense. :rolleyes:
Some people definitely check their common sense at the door.

That's what I was thinking. :thumbsup: People can say all they want about the right to protest or free speech or whatever, but booing a bunch of metal/plastic/silicone (whatever else makes up the animatronics) while on vacation at Disney World is about the most worthless form of political involvement I can think of. Write letters, call representatives, organize grass roots movements, volunteer, do something.

They remind me of that phrase.... "It's better to let people think you're an idiot, than to open your mouth & prove it"

thrillme
07-22-2009, 01:06 AM
I really wish people would stop this. There are a lot of presidents in there that I did vote for, a lot that I didn't vote for, a lot that I wouldn't have if I could have and a lot that I would have if I could have...

Regardless of how I feel about various politics you still have to respect them no matter what. A lot of choices the president makes aren't his anyway...there's a whole group of congressmen that can make a call too...and the press have a way of making things look a lot different than what they really are to get readers.

johnO
07-22-2009, 06:54 AM
I think people need to stop being so touchy. It's a citizen's right to like, dislike, cheer or jeer a politician, this is America afterall, not Moaist China.

But having said that, I think it is in poor taste to bring your politics into an attraction at WDW. People are on vacation and trying to leave their everyday lives at home. HoP is meant to be for educational purposes and I think people should treat it that way.

jaredkari
07-22-2009, 07:37 AM
You are 100% right!!! The Hall of Presidents is not a place to voice your politics. It is a place to celebrate America and the freedoms we have and the fact that any man or woman can aspire to become president. There are many presidents that had policies which I personally disagree with, but that doesn't mean I am going to boo a robot and tell them about it!! The Hall of Presidents is meant to make us feel good about our country. Yes America has made many mistakes but we have also done many many great things which we should celebrate. Today there are many places which you can voice your polictical views but the Hall of Presidents I don't believe should be one of them. Be proud of your country and be thankful for the freedoms we have!!!

Daddy Mouse
07-22-2009, 10:39 AM
"Sticks and stones may break their... uhh whatever", But I think the AA's can take the boos they may get.

How about having respect for other people in the audience with you by not booing.

Mousemates
07-22-2009, 10:46 AM
You are 100% right!!! The Hall of Presidents is not a place to voice your politics. It is a place to celebrate America and the freedoms we have and the fact that any man or woman can aspire to become president. There are many presidents that had policies which I personally disagree with, but that doesn't mean I am going to boo a robot and tell them about it!! The Hall of Presidents is meant to make us feel good about our country. Yes America has made many mistakes but we have also done many many great things which we should celebrate. Today there are many places which you can voice your polictical views but the Hall of Presidents I don't believe should be one of them. Be proud of your country and be thankful for the freedoms we have!!!

:flag: Well said.

DigitalDaredevil
07-23-2009, 01:18 AM
Booing during any show or production, especially those that are animatronic shows a lack of class and respect.
Regardless of your feelings, it is a show. Those were/are our presidents like it or not.
I'm not an Obama fan, but this economic and financial climate has proven that no matter which president you are, it is difficult to win.

Melanie
07-23-2009, 07:09 AM
We have indeed hashed this out quite recently, and since this discussion has veered away from the attraction itself and into politics (an INTERCOT :nono: ), it's now closed.