PDA

View Full Version : Face recognition coming to WDW?

Mendelson
07-20-2009, 01:34 PM
Well, I hope not, but Universal Japan uses it....personally, this is one technological advancement I'd prefer not to see. The company NEC produces the technology and I just saw a commercial by them noting this and went to their site, out of curiosity, where I got the following, regarding their annual passes.

"We used a manual process to take our guest photos and to print them a card so that they could come into the park. This was very laborious for us and very time consuming for our guests. Sometimes they would have to wait one, two or even three hours to be processed, because the process took so long.

THE SOLUTION
To realize more efficient ticketing and smoother entry, Universal Studios Japan™ had been considering a system applying biometrics. After a thorough study, they chose the access control system utilizing user-friendly face recognition technology.

Essential in the construction was NEC’s facial recognition technology, fast, precise and reliable.

Firstly, at the park ticket booth, guests receive annual studio passes imprinted with the two dimensional codes. Then, they register their facial photographs at the recognition monitor and enter.

From their next visit, they can enter the park just by touching the reader with their annual studio passes and turning their faces towards the recognition monitor. It takes approximately one second to check a face.

In other words, the park virtually recognizes visitors every time they visit."

KAJUNKING
07-20-2009, 01:46 PM
dont know if im crazy about this, hate to see this in disney parks

Imagineer1981
07-20-2009, 02:44 PM
could be interesting, but also cause issues

Positives:
1) once on file, you could skip ticket lines and just walk right in through a gate or something.
2) no more lost tickets, or shuffling for them. The computer would recognize your face and know if you have entered a park that day and if you have park hopper, etc

Negatives:
1) The gate could be slow because of guests not understanding how it works
2) having to wait to get photographed first
3) What if the computer messes up and thinks you entered the park or 100 other reasons it could screw up and you don't have a ticket or anything to prove you were or were not there...

Way too many problems I think

gueli
07-21-2009, 08:14 AM
Luckily computer never crash, isn't that right dave ? :D

(see 2001 a space Odyssey)

Mendelson
07-21-2009, 08:50 AM
Luckily computer never crash, isn't that right dave ? :D

"Open the pod bay doors, HAL." :help:

joonyer
07-21-2009, 11:04 AM
This technology can be used just about anywhere there are video surveillance cameras, with the right computers and software. It will become more and more common is everyday places, stores, malls banks, gas stations, etc. especially for law enforcement use.

Just remember, if you are in a public place, just about anywhere, it is likely that you are being recorded by video surveillance cameras. Sometimes that's a good thing, like at the waterparks where the footage was used to identify and apprehend the pedophiles.

Remember, "Big Brother (1984) is watching you".

spinnerf
07-21-2009, 12:56 PM
I remember reading something about this and the system measures the disatnce between your eyes and one other such measurement. I agree with the previous poster that it will cause some slow down because of its awkwardness. Just like the finger biometric system slows you down. Everytime I go that thing gets me, then when I get used to it and know how to do it like a pro we leave.

DizneyRox
07-21-2009, 01:08 PM
This technology is already in use all over the world. I thought I remember hearing about this being implemented in London or at different airports, etc. I forgot where, but facial recognition is here.

My latest point and shoot camera ($125) can detect faces in the picture to help decide where to focus against. And SSE has facial recognition in place for the finale on the LCDs.

It's real, it's here, and it will only become more popular.

SharkBait
07-21-2009, 01:19 PM
I have face recognition on my macbook.

iphoto 09 has a feature called "faces" that sorts your photos by the persons face.

BluewaterBrad
07-21-2009, 03:21 PM
This technology is already in use all over the world. I thought I remember hearing about this being implemented in London or at different airports, etc. I forgot where, but facial recognition is here.

My latest point and shoot camera ($125) can detect faces in the picture to help decide where to focus against. And SSE has facial recognition in place for the finale on the LCDs.

It's real, it's here, and it will only become more popular.

Once again DisneyRox nails it on the head again!:mickey:

johnO
07-22-2009, 12:21 AM
Joonyer, '1984' for sure..........

JPL
07-22-2009, 10:27 AM
This was also tested for a photpass like video system. The software would reconize you and take candid video images and the eidts them into a souvenir Video. I am sure it can also be applied to the current use of Photpass with ride photos and in other areas of the park. As this technology improves it will be used in all aspects of life. Theme Parks like Disney will find some of the fun ways it can be used to enhance your vacation. I magine with the new interactive rides being greeted by name in the attraction by one of the characters.

Daddy Mouse
07-22-2009, 10:47 AM
I can see the check in at the hotels
;)
1. Swipe credit card
2. Picture is taken
3. retina scan
4. finger prints
5. microchip imbedded under skin
6. blood sample
7. urine sample

Did I leave anything out?

Mousemates
07-22-2009, 10:57 AM
only a breathalyzer at the park exits to test for on the spot sobriety after leaving the parks on New Years Eve.

joonyer
07-22-2009, 11:35 AM
I can see the check in at the hotels
;)
1. Swipe credit card
2. Picture is taken
3. retina scan
4. finger prints
5. microchip imbedded under skin
6. blood sample
7. urine sample

Did I leave anything out?

Criminal record background check.

Pally
07-22-2009, 11:56 AM
Last year while travelling through Heathrow in London they do an eye scan. It was very disorganized and not well layed out. Well, when I went though the next check point, I was flying on to Leeds my scan did not read. Therefore, you do not proceed you do not pass go. They pulled me aside. They had to go though video and find me. You are not allowed into the country without this biometeric. I had to give an approximate time I went thorough the last check point. It took them some time to find me but they did in the video. It felt kind of creepy watching them scan through viodeos of people. They then zoomed in on me and had someone verify that it was indeed me. This was the first time I had ever travelled on my own to another country that far away.

As in my case, it was a pain in the you know what.

maxrebo77
07-22-2009, 01:25 PM
I thought you meant when at MatsuNoMa they asked "large sake"?. Or Charlie at Narcoosee says "hi back again?"