PDA

View Full Version : Where Were You When They Walked on the Moon?

nicster
07-20-2009, 12:39 PM
I was just watching the news & they were reporting on the 1969 Neil Armstrong, Buzz Aldrin walk on the moon, 40 years ago! I was 15 years old attending an international convention with my parents in Vancouver, BC. I was getting off the elevator at the Washington Hotel and the TV in the lobby had the video of that now famous first step on the moon. How about the rest of you? Where were you & what were you doing??

VWL Mom
07-20-2009, 12:48 PM
My mom was at work and my dad who was off that day and I were on our boat in Atlantic Highlands, NJ. He was on the fly bridge fixing something and he had a little 8" tv up there. He called me out of the cabin and we watched it together.

It'sWDW4me
07-20-2009, 12:52 PM
Of course there is the debate as to whether they did, indeed, walk on the moon 40 years ago! :thedolls:

Real or fake, I was warm and cozy tucked up in my mom's belly - I was born that November. :mickey:

Daisy'sMom
07-20-2009, 12:58 PM
I was watching in the living room with my Dad. It really didn't dawn on me how special an event it was, Mom had passed away several months before and I felt like I was in a fog.

nicster
07-20-2009, 01:02 PM
I was watching in the living room with my Dad. It really didn't dawn on me how special an event it was, Mom had passed away several months before and I felt like I was in a fog.
Sorry to bring back such a sad time. I know what you mean by the fog when you are grieving...

faline
07-20-2009, 01:05 PM
My husband (who was my boyfriend at the time) and I watched it with my parents in the living room of their house. Both my parents are gone now.

Briansmom
07-20-2009, 01:23 PM
I was nine years old and we were sitting in the family room watching it on TV....it was very personal to us. We lived in Merritt Island and both of my parents worked in the space program...my mom was a secretary and my dad was an engineer. He even brought home some of that foil looking stuff that protected the Lunar Module. That stuff was tough! I have a scrap book that he kept all his years working in the space program. It is so cool to see pictures of him working on the space craft. I can't believe it has been forty years.

DVC2004
07-20-2009, 01:30 PM
LOL wasn't here yet! Not even a glimmer in my parents eyes.

Scar
07-20-2009, 01:30 PM
I so much wish I could remember that. I was 1 month shy of 4. My parents said I was in the room but they don’t remember if I was awake or not.

The History Channel is replaying CBS’s coverage tonight at 8:30 followed by “Moonshot”, a really good documentary.

Of course there is the debate as to whether they did, indeed, walk on the moon 40 years ago! :thedolls:Every geologist that has ever examined moon rocks agrees that they are not from earth.

ILoveLegos
07-20-2009, 01:56 PM

Ditto!

coloradowendyl
07-20-2009, 01:56 PM
10 yrs old at Girl Scout camp in Columbia, SC.

No TV there...we listened to the radio on a portable radio in our tent!

Wendy

Marceline
07-20-2009, 02:08 PM
I wasn't on the planet mahself. :D

Diznee4Me
07-20-2009, 02:25 PM
I was just shy of 8 months old so probably lying around somewhere screamig for attention or food. :D

SBETigg
07-20-2009, 02:31 PM
I was just a baby, too, but it is pretty cool that it happened in my lifetime.

elmjimmlm
07-20-2009, 02:34 PM

same here...not for another 3 years...

Ian
07-20-2009, 03:05 PM
I was 13 days old and only know this because it's family lore, but I was laying on the sofa in my Grandparents' living room with Mom and Dad.

Seasonscraps
07-20-2009, 03:06 PM
I was a baby but my mother said she sat me down to watch it with her. I guess you could say I was there in body but not spirit. :D

wdwfansince75
07-20-2009, 03:49 PM
I was at the Naval Post Graduate School in Monterey, CA. DW and I took DS#1, then 4, and DD#1, 22 mo, to Sunset State Beach, on the Monterey Bay. Even in July, the waters of the Monterey Bay were quite cold. The kids and I were making sand castles, as we listened to the events. If memory serves, the walk started early afternoon on a Sunday.

diz_girl
07-20-2009, 03:56 PM
I was two days old :party: and in the nursery of Albert Einstein Medical Center in Philadelphia, so obviously I don't remember it.

Mom said that she watched from her hospital bed, but she didn't say that I was with her at the time, so I was probably in the nursery. She was a little annoyed that the walk didn't happen on the day that I was born, but she would have been a bit too busy to watch it if it happened on my birthday.

DisneyDog
07-20-2009, 04:14 PM
I was born one month and 2 two days later...also at Einstein Hospital in Philadelphia :)

Wish I had been able to witness that. I missed Woodstock too. All the good stuff happened that summer right before I was born.

Kennywife
07-20-2009, 04:24 PM
My grandfather was on the team that helped launch the Apollo. I always a little bit of my family is still up there! :D

Anna

Ed
07-20-2009, 04:25 PM
Reading through this thread, I suddenly feel very :old:

I was working, and stopped by a firehouse in Baltimore to watch it from there.

Somewhat unfortunately (again - :old:), I remember it like it was yesterday.

sgdisney
07-20-2009, 04:34 PM
Reading through this thread, I suddenly feel very :old:

Same here! I was 14 years old and was sick with some sort of virus at the time. I remember watching it from my temporary sick bed on the couch with the rest of my family.

Melanie
07-20-2009, 05:01 PM
Yep, in my mom's belly as well. Lots of us hitting the big 4-0 this year. ;)

alphamommy
07-20-2009, 07:34 PM
I had just turned 6. I know that I watched it (since I watched everything space related), but I don't actually remember it.

It's one of those things that I've seen so many times since that I can't remember the actual event. I wish I could!

azdisneymom
07-20-2009, 08:03 PM
I was 11 years old. My mom and I were sitting on the floor of our family room with a tripod and camera. I don't remember who but someone had given out camera settings to get the most out of taking pictures of the landing. I am sure I still have that picture somewhere. Now I have to go look for it to show my kids.

conorsmom2000
07-20-2009, 08:14 PM
I was warm and cozy tucked up in my mom's belly

I too was in my Mom's belly, probably warm, but not so cozy since I was sharing the space with my twin brother!! :blush:

hubbyofadisneyholic
07-20-2009, 08:33 PM
Add me to the feeling old list...

I was 16 and at work when the Eagle landed. The restaurant was totally dead so my boss let me leave in time to get home before the moon walk started, which was about 11pm Central time IIRC.
Somewhere we have a roll of 8mm film my father shot directly from the TV screen.

Words can't begin to describe the excitement we all felt that day.:thumbsup:

Wayne
07-20-2009, 08:45 PM
I was 9 and in my PJs watching in the den with my Mom, Dad and little brother. Time would have been about 11 EDT. Right now, I'm listening to real time audio of the entire mission synched to the actual events from 40 years ago from the NASA website. I heard the landing at about 16:15 and I'm looking forward to hearing those famous words at about 22:50.

ElenitaB
07-20-2009, 10:19 PM
My dad worked on many of the navigational components used by NASA for the space program, so it was a BIG event in our family. My mom was in the hospital at the time, but I do remember watching it with my dad and my brother. Hard to believe how much time has passed since then.

Phantod
07-20-2009, 11:57 PM
You're not going to believe this, but it's true. When I first heard the news, I was 19 years....and on my way to Disneyland by car. I don't remember if we did the moon ride there or not, but we must have....

ASweetLov
07-21-2009, 12:02 AM
I wasn't born yet lol.... 14 years later I came into this world :D

the other micki
07-21-2009, 12:22 AM
I was 10 days old. My dad held me up to the TV so I could "watch" them walk on the moon. (He reminds me of this quite often.) Yep, lots of us getting to the top of that "hill" this year!!!

ibrowse17
07-21-2009, 12:39 AM
I was 1 year and 3 days old, and have told I was watching it with my parents:thumbsup:

Fangorn
07-21-2009, 01:29 AM
I was 15, and for me this was an incredibly event. My dad (who just passed away in May) was a master machinist in the aerospace industry in LA and personally manufactured the valve assemblies that regulated the flow of fuel to those giant engines that lifted the Saturn V rockets into space. (Remember, this was all done by hand - no computer-aided manufacturing back then)

Anyway, I spent that Sunday at a pool party but we mostly watched the news coverage of the landing. I got home in time to watch the actual decent from the Lunar Lander and Neil Armstrong's first steps. I remember it very clearly, even though the TV transmission wasn't very clear.

To commemorate the day, I broke out my actual LA Times front page copies today and looked them over again. (They're laminated and rarely see the light of day).

Lots of memories tied up in this event.

Steve

mrsgaribaldi
07-21-2009, 04:34 AM
You're not going to believe this, but it's true. When I first heard the news, I was 19 years....and on my way to Disneyland by car. I don't remember if we did the moon ride there or not, but we must have....

I think that's very fitting on this board. I was only 4 and don't remember.:(

Disney Doll
07-21-2009, 09:43 AM

yep, me either.

TheDuckRocks
07-21-2009, 12:15 PM
Dang! Once again it looks like I'm winning the oldest old lady in Intercotland again. I was a young mother of 2 little boys and we had spent the morning at the beach but left for home early to watch the walk on the moon. Delayed, delayed was the order of the day and we kept pushing dinner time back as we didn't want to miss a minute of the action. We kept snacking on chips, fruit and ice cream and never did eat dinner that night. Oh, the excitement of sitting in front of a dinky black and white TV and seeing what seemed a miracle. My DH was also in the industry that made parts for the rockets that launched the capsules.

Katzateer
07-21-2009, 05:12 PM
I don't remember where I was -may have been at Girl Scout camp - I was around 14.

One thing I do remember-I was in a local cast of Up With People and one of the lines to a song we sang at every show was "...and we have almost landed on the moon...." We had to change the words to "....and we HAVE landed on the moon..." and I thought that was really cool!

garymacd
07-21-2009, 08:17 PM
I was just watching the news & they were reporting on the 1969 Neil Armstrong, Buzz Aldrin walk on the moon, 40 years ago! I was 15 years old attending an international convention with my parents in Vancouver, BC. I was getting off the elevator at the Washington Hotel and the TV in the lobby had the video of that now famous first step on the moon. How about the rest of you? Where were you & what were you doing??

Well, believe it or not, we were on our way home from a family vacation to Vancouver, BC (with stops in Nobleford AB to visit more family, and other points). We were driving through Minnesota and stopped in a diner for lunch just in time to see Neil Armstrong step off the LM. I remember it was raining.

Marilyn Michetti
07-21-2009, 10:54 PM
I was in the Navy, stationed at the Philadelphia Naval Hospital, and had just met my future DH. :flag:

maxrebo77
07-22-2009, 01:12 PM
I didn't even know that there was a post of this kind. I remember exactly. We lived in Elgin, Il. My sister and I were allowed to stay up late(in our jammies of course) and lay on the floor in front of the old black and white (RCA I think, but quite possibly a Zenith) I remember a lot of bouncing in space suits and falling asleep. I also remember my mom getting a big ugly vase to remember the day (I wish I had it now)
Speaking of Zenith, I have a joke I will post as soon as I have read the rules.

Lizzy
07-22-2009, 02:21 PM
My parents hadn't even met yet, they were only pre-teens themselves :blush:

Side note just for the sake of argument. I don't believe that we walked on the moon yet either. :secret:

Just growing up a stones throw from the Cape, knowing lots of people who have worked on the projects with NASA, I just find it all hard to believe.

Gooftroop5
07-23-2009, 01:40 PM
Since my parents got married a about a week after this (they will be married 40 years this Sunday) & I am child number 2 I wasn't even a twinkle in anyones eyes yet.

IloveDisney71
07-23-2009, 09:26 PM
I wasn't born yet. I lived in FL about an hour or so from Kennedy Space Center and I remember being highly interested in everything space related. We had a visitor from the space center come and talk at our school. I remember he talked to us about being able to live in space by the time we were grown up. I guess they are a little behind with that one.:blush: But they do have the Space Station up there, just not what he described to us.

drummerboy
07-24-2009, 10:04 PM
Photod, you and I are about the same age.

I was a camp counselor, the only one who had a portable television. We set it up in a gathering place and let all the campers in our area stay up late to watch, knowing they shouldn't miss such a historic event.

Marker
07-24-2009, 11:32 PM
I was almost 10, my family was visiting my grandparents on their central Missouri farm.

Not sure why we were there instead of at the Lake Of The Ozarks like we were most summer weekends, but I know we were all glued to the TV. Maybe that's why we were there, we had no TV at the lake.