PDA

View Full Version : Do you run at WDW?

Imagineer1981
07-20-2009, 11:49 AM
May be the wrong forum for this one, but I was wondering how many of you run (jog, powerwalk,etc) while on vacation at WDW, and where is your favorite place to do it. Last trip I stayed at Caribbean Beach and ran on the walking path around the central lake, but it wasn't the best. Is there an ideal resort?

diz_girl
07-20-2009, 11:58 AM
DH ran our past two trips. I didn't because I was pregnant during our 2007 stay and stayed in the room with the baby during our 2008 stay. So this advice is coming second-hand.

At the Poly, there is a path that connects the Poly and the GF. It's about a mile and DH was just OK with it.

But he likes the trail in-between the WL and FW much better. It's also about a mile long, but FW has all of the campground roads to run on too to make your run longer, and it's quite pretty. So I'd recommend staying at WL and enjoying that trail.

PlutoPlanet
07-20-2009, 12:01 PM
I like to jog around the Boardwalk. I've heard it is 7/8ths of a mile.
At AKL I use the Fitness Club, but I'd rather find a place outside for my morning run.

KAJUNKING
07-20-2009, 12:36 PM
not a runner but por has some beautiful trails that i would imagine are great for runners

artyboy
07-20-2009, 12:42 PM
I power walk from Old Key West to Saratoga Springs...very pretty path connecting the two...but a little hard to find.

mudpuppysmom
07-20-2009, 12:55 PM
we're not runners either, but we have walked at the Boardwalk a bunch of times.

diz_girl
07-20-2009, 02:15 PM
FYI, since you are asking which is the best resort, a moderator might come along and move this thread to the Accomodations boards.

wire0monkey
07-20-2009, 02:24 PM
Here's a set of maps of running trails for many resorts at WDW:

http://www.disneyrunning.com/wdwtrails.html

There's a 2.5 mile trail that's sort of a combination of a loop and an out-and-back that starts at Wilderness Lodge goes through the campgrounds that I like. It's easy enough to do the circle part of it a couple of times, or to make it a longer loop out of it by going further in the campgrounds:

http://www.disneyrunning.com/joggingtrailwl.html

Imagineer1981
07-20-2009, 02:39 PM
Here's a set of maps of running trails for many resorts at WDW:

http://www.disneyrunning.com/wdwtrails.html

ah nice...

I am not as concerned about what resort as where to everyone likes to run

steamboat willy
07-20-2009, 03:22 PM
I run at the Magic Kingdom............:walk:
Straight to the Dole Whip counter window in Adventure Land! :thumbsup:

KAJUNKING
07-20-2009, 03:47 PM
I run at the Magic Kingdom............:walk:
Straight to the Dole Whip counter window in Adventure Land! :thumbsup:

thats funny! :mickey:

sdewan
07-20-2009, 05:05 PM
Yes I run. Last August I was in training for the DL 1/2 marathon, so I had to do a 10-miler around the EPCOT resort area while on vacation. I started at 5AM to beat the heat but I didn't beat the humidity.

But other than that, I like a 3 or 4 mile run every couple of days, even if I have to go on the treadmill to stay cool. The exercise makes me feel less guilty about the all the food and beer I consume in World Showcase. :blush:

For this year's vacation I look forward to running on the deck of the Disney Wonder and Castaway Cay.

TheMartellFamily
07-20-2009, 07:27 PM
Sorry not a runner here, or anywhere. But I think it is great walking around Ft. Wilderness with all the loops and roads that go around it. The main roads have sidewalks and there is so much to see. Take a look at the maps of Ft. Wilderness and this will give you an example.

Mousemates
07-20-2009, 09:44 PM
While we don't personally do much running, we do tend to see a lot of people running towards TSM in Disney Studios at the rope drop. ;)

In terms of exercise our favorite places to walk include the path from the GF to the Poly...and around the water features at the CBR and CSR.

Marilyn Michetti
07-21-2009, 10:40 PM
No running or jogging, but I can get my scooter up to about 7 mph.:D

Lakin
07-21-2009, 10:43 PM
I did when it was just I and my mom.

It wasn't really an option with my dad and sister along.

Grim Grinning Marathon Runner
07-22-2009, 06:47 PM
I LOVE running at Disney! My longest run at the World was 26.2 miles, but hey, that was an official race!

I've run at every resot I've stayed at. As some previous posters pointed out, you can get jogging maps at each resort. My favorite resort to run at is the Poly, because I turned that into a big loop (or maybe figure 8) from the Poly to the TTC back to the Poly over to the GF. It was asbolutely beautiful running there.

My second favorite, as someone also posted about, was POR, but could be done at POFQ too. I made a big loop out of both resorts, and, actually on one of my return loops, I picked up some beignets for my wife who was just getting finished getting ready and loved the breakfast surprise.

My least favorite to run at was Pop Century, it was just too congested and wasn't a great course.

I'm a running nut though, pretty much everywhere I go I run, at least a little bit. I've gone for a run in China, Guantanamo Bay Cuba, the Smokey Mountains, Disney, on a cruise ship, and countless other places.

This post was probably TMI, but hey, you just combined my two favorite subjects - running and Disney, if you couldn't tell by my username!

Great topic!

wdwsummer
07-25-2009, 10:38 AM
Running is fantastic at wdw resorts. Last year we stayed at WL and ran every morning. The key is to go early!!! Looking forward to running around the Boardwalk in 14 days. It makes those treats later in teh afternoon that much more enjoyable!!!!!:blush:

kakn7294
07-27-2009, 11:41 AM
DH is the runner in the family and he chose POFQ / POR (along the Sassagoula River) as his favorite run with WL to FW as a close second. Both are somewhat shaded which is a big help in the Florida heat.

kemps@wdw
08-01-2009, 11:20 PM
:walk: Ain't walkin a gazillion miles a day enough? :funny:

disneyboy98
08-05-2009, 12:01 AM
I have done the loop around the Boardwalk, The YBC, The Swan and Dolph. Then I head over and run to the gates of DHS. That's around 2 miles.

It's a great run! Gotta get that heart rate up!

Birdie757
08-07-2009, 07:23 PM
I love running at Disney too! I was just commenting yesterday how I couldn't wait to run there again in Nov. There is just something about being out there so early when it is dark and you are just out there with a few runners....then as you go more and more people wake up and shuffle around.

My personal favorite is POR/PORFQ. We tend to stay in the Epcot area though so I tend to do the boardwalk area and the loop between the epcot gate and the studios gate. It isn't bad before the sun is up.

cather74
08-17-2009, 08:47 PM
Just went this past June and we stayed at the Polynesian. I would get up just a little before sunrise and run to the GF and around that area. The first time I did it I almost wept. It was so beautiful with the castle and the sun coming up over the Contemporary.NO one was ever up except for the guys spray painting the lawn gree (very funny) and 1 or 2 other walkers/runners. I ran with my Disney Parks sountrack on my Ipod. Now when I run at home I play that music and picture running at the "happiest place on earth." It is by far, my favorite place to run!:ccat:

Marker
08-18-2009, 04:32 PM
Run at Disney World?

No, it's usually too crowded. I prefer to pace myself and just walk briskly from attraction to attraction. :D