PDA

View Full Version : single parent, 2 children, one wants to ride, other doesn't

happy day
07-20-2009, 10:23 AM
What can a single parent do when one child wants to ride the rides, and the other is afraid of some of them. The son that wants to ride is 12. My other son is 10. I know there is a parent swap part for 2 parents for younger children, but what can I do when I have no one to swap with?
I am trying to save the fun of the trip for both boys.
Thank you for any suggestions.

buzznwoodysmom
07-20-2009, 10:52 AM
Oh that's a tough one. I don't know the ages of your kids, so its hard to say. My boys are 9 and 7 and if I went to WDW by myself with them they'd either both have to ride or we wouldn't ride it at all. I don't feel either of my kids are old enough to go on a ride alone or wait for me and the other one alone. I am not aware of anything Disney has in place to help out with this. Good luck!

It'sWDW4me
07-20-2009, 11:02 AM
You don't mention how old your boys are but I just posted something similar to another thread....

If the boy wanting to ride is old/tall enough to ride alone and you chose to wait with the other, you could all wait in line to the loading point; befriend an "odd-numbered" party waiting near you in line; have the riding child ride with the other party's odd-man-out (this could even be another child at, or around, your son's age); you and the non-riding child wait at the ride's exit. Something like this happened to me and DS on our trip to Sea World the other year. Both the other mom and I were happy that our sons wouldn't be by themselves on the ride, they each met a new friend, and they had a blast on the ride.

If you want to go on the ride with your one son and the other is old enough to sit by himself for a few minutes (my DS is now 13 so I would be ok with this now but wouldn't have done this when he was much younger), you could all wait in line and, at the loading point, your non-rider could go to the child swap area (ask the CM at that point) and you can meet up with him after the ride's over.

Other than these two scenarios, I have a feeling that your son won't be able to ride everything that he wants to this time around. More the reason to plan another trip in a few years!!! :thedolls:

I do hope everything works out and that you and your boys have a marvelously magical trip! :pixie:

nicster
07-20-2009, 11:09 AM
Get a friend, grandparent , aunt or uncle to go with you. You will have more fun & so will each of the kids.

happy day
07-20-2009, 11:26 AM
Here's my real problem. My son isn't afraid to ride alone. I am just not sure he is safe in line by himself at the age of 12.

It'sWDW4me
07-20-2009, 11:31 AM
Here's my real problem. My son isn't afraid to ride alone. I am just not sure he is safe in line by himself at the age of 12.

In this case, you can all wait in line together and you and your non-riding son can use the last chance exit (a.k.a. "chicken exit" :mickey:) found not too far from the loading area. I'm almost positive that every thrill ride at Disney has one. You can meet up with your rider at the ride's exit which is usually found in the gift shop. :mickey:

This would probably the best for all of you - you have your peace of mind plus your DS12 isn't bored waiting in line by himself. Plus maybe, just maybe, your non-rider will change his mind and go on it too (I definitely wouldn't push this at all, though).

DakandZakMom
07-20-2009, 11:32 AM
I would wait in line with him and them you and your son who does not wan't to rise can take the alternate exit. Ask a castmember. I do this all the time with my kids. I have also sent my oldest throught the fastpass line by himself and have never had any problems.

ibelieveindisneymagic
07-20-2009, 11:33 AM
You can wait in line with your son, but not actually ride the ride.

So, you can your two sons can get into line, and when the 12 year-old gets on the ride, you and the 10-year old can head to the exit where you can meet him.

It does mean that everyone waits in line, but everyone is safe and together. I'm a wimp and don't do most thrill rides, but I have waited with DH, and then taken the "chicken" exit.

happy day
07-20-2009, 11:45 AM
Thank you for these great answers. I didn't know that I could wait in line and then go to an exit. That would help a lot.

KAJUNKING
07-20-2009, 03:40 PM
my dd is going to be 10 and my neice 13 when we go and i wont have a problem letting them go on an attraction alone while i wait at the exit (not that it would happen as i love to ride everything, but i wouldnt have a problem with my 12 yo going alone on a ride) but using the chicken exit as pp have mentioned does have advantages. first you and your younger son get to enjoy the awesome queue, which in turn my change your younger sons mind about the attraction, also rather than waiting in the heat for the most part youll be in an air conditioned line