PDA

View Full Version : RCI exchanges?? Success or waste of time & $.

KCMom
07-18-2009, 12:29 PM
Anyone have any luck with RCI exchanges lately? We are DVC owners, but friends who want to travel with us are not. They do own a different timeshare, and usually exchange with interval. They are willing to try RCI for Disney, but are a little skeptical since they never had any luck with interval and a DVC property. My dates are Old Key West Jan 31-Feb 5...so probably not a week or location that is in high demand. Anyone have a guess if we should fork out the money for a membership fee and give it a try...or should we come up with a Plan B. Of course, RCI will offer no insight to availability without a membership. I don't want to waste their money or week if they have no chance! Thanks for any advice!!!

WeLuvBuzz
07-18-2009, 01:05 PM
We are RCI weeks members and I just did a search using Disney and none of the DVCs had any listings. There might be some out there on points that I could not see. I have seen a few out there previously for studios at Old Key West, but that has been it. I think I am going to put an ongoing exchange in to see if something shakes loose for fall of 2010. Keep in mind that there are lots of factors that go in to getting what you want: the further out the week you are exchanging the higher value it has, the higher rated resorts get higher trade values, and how soon you put in your request for ongoing exchanges makes a difference. Also, your friends must have a red week to exchange. I can say that I have stayed at several offsite timeshares and been able to sit on my balcony (and once in the couch on our living room) and watch fireworks on Disney property. Some offsite timeshares IMHO are acutally nicer and driving to the parks can often be much easier then messing with buses. Good luck whatever you decide.

KCMom
07-18-2009, 01:45 PM
Thank you so much for the info. All of it is very helpful. She has mentioned trouble with interval because her property didn't trade well. I think we should persue other options at this point.

I really do appreciate your help.

Beth

Pirate Granny
07-18-2009, 06:36 PM
My brother has a time share and in the last five years we have NEVER seen a DVC timeshare available...now, my sister-in-law said that if we turn in a week very early, and give them a month window at least one year in advance, we may be successful...so instead we have stayed three or four time in nearby timeshares (wonderful places)...and I've always had an annual pass, so parking is free and you are right...quicker transportation at times.
:pirate:

Cinderelley
07-19-2009, 04:12 AM
It has been a while, so things may have changed, but I remember reading that DVC switched from RCI to II a while back.

DizneyRox
07-19-2009, 06:58 AM
It has been a while, so things may have changed, but I remember reading that DVC switched from RCI to II a while back.
I think it's the other way around. They just switched from II to RCI. This is the first year I think...

I've heard people saying they had success, some even got AKLV before DVC members had a chance to book it (7 month window).

DVC has in the past been pretty hard to trade into however (at least through II). It's all about location...

momofdisneyprincess
07-21-2009, 11:16 AM
Just out of curiosity, where is the timeshare located that you wish to deposit and use for an exchange? I own in Hawaii, and we had no problem getting a timeshare in Disney. In fact, our studio in Hawaii traded for a 2 BR at BWV. If you are trying to trade a resort within 50 miles of Disney, it will not happen. There is an exclusion area. Good luck and keep trying. Inventory was change multiple times a day while I was searching.

Aurora
07-21-2009, 02:51 PM
I just did a search on RCI with points and OKW was available for a 2-bedroom for your week. However, this was for a 7-night stay (Jan. 31-Feb. 7). A search for 5 nights with check in on Jan. 31 turned up nothing.

In fact, a 2-bedroom unit was available at every DVC resort except Bay Lake Tower (nothing available), for the weeklong stay, but not the 5 nights.

Saratoga also had a 1-bedroom available for the same dates.

There were other room sizes available at OKW for different check-in dates around the same time -- in early February.

The RCI site states some resorts may restrict length of stay to 7 night increments. It appears this may be the case with Disney. At least that's what's showing up on my searches.

Hope this helps.

Sammyjo
07-22-2009, 04:55 PM
My mom has non-Disney timeshare points. She waitlisted a 2 bedroom at OKW through II in Sept. 2007 for Sept 2008 and in February was notified that she had her 2 bedroom for Sept. '08. She was already signed up with RCI but had to also sign up with II for that exchange. We had almost forgotten that she had waitlisted for OKW and were about to put a deposit down for 2 rooms at POR when she got word of the exchange going through.

When we heard that Disney had contracted with RCI, she got on line and checked availability and found plenty of choices. Right then she reserved a 2 bedroom at VWL :thumbsup: for a week in January 2010 - I think the 3rd week. This was much more fun and easy than going through II which she will probably now drop.

It seems there is some difference between points and weeks.

Sammyjo

DizneyRox
07-22-2009, 07:51 PM
This was much more fun and easy than going through II which she will probably now drop.
Sounds like a good plan until you remember, this is just a contract with RCI. If II comes to the table with a better offer, I suspect Disney will drop RCI and switch back to II.

Sammyjo
07-26-2009, 11:36 PM
We were wondering that ourselves - how long will RCI have the contract. Does anyone know if it's only a year contract or something longer?

Sammyjo

DizneyRox
07-27-2009, 11:02 AM
One year doesn't make sense with the integration that needs to be done. I'd guess 5 or 10 years... I haven't heard anything official though...

Belle_0717
08-03-2009, 08:23 AM
DH & I just went to MA to listen to Vacation Villages (part of RCI) to buy. We went for the gift card, not to buy. They are very persistent and the property book was not up to date. Another other reason for not buying was our expanding family - twins due early next year. (I know there is never a good time to buy but WHY BUY when we have DVC & that is all you need.)

As DVC members, IMHO the RCI accommodations are no where near what DVC has. No in-room laundry at the property we were looking at and it was in the middle of nowhere with nothing to do and no food/restaurants. The thought of having to go for 1 full week per year was crazy. The thought of having to put a trade in up to 2 years out was insane.

The salesman kept saying they are part of Disney now. DH didn't believe him. My mom pulled out the DVC book and the info is at the back. They want 300 pts for a 2 bedroom - not sure the breakdown.

We typically go to WDW for 6 days (no more) and stay Sun-Fri (the cheapest days) so the entire family can have up to 2 trips per couple (3 couples).

We felt good walking out not having purchased. DH is willing to pay my parents the money we would have paid RCI to buy more DVC points. I can't imagine not getting the time or resort I wanted.

Good luck - I hope you have more luck than others.

momofdisneyprincess
08-03-2009, 08:37 AM
If you purchase a non-DVC resort with hopes of trading in; make sure you pick some place that has good trading power. MA is not really great. I own a weeks resort (not in MA) so I trade week for week and don't have to figure out points. Also, as far as trading 2 years out - you have the option to do that but don't have to. I've traded as little as 45 days out. I do agree not all timeshares are created equal though. We only trade out to other gold crown resorts as that is what we own and are accustomed to.