PDA

View Full Version : Flying with a stroller

IloveJack
07-17-2009, 01:25 PM
For those of you who choose to fly and take your own stroller with you, do you check it with your luggage, or do you gate check it? We're first time parents and this will be our first flight with the baby. I'm not sure which would be better to do. 1. I know we'll need the stroller as soon as we get to WDW and we'll be using ME. 2. I'm not sure what gate checking means, but it'd be nice to not have to carry the baby around the airport. 3. How "safe" is the stroller when it's put in the belly of the plane?

Familyof4
07-17-2009, 01:38 PM
We have checked strollers on all of our trips at the gate. It made life much easier to wheel around our 15 month old as opposed to chasing him. They will will find you at your gate usually and hand you a tag for your stroller. You get to wheel it all the way down to the plan and just before you get on, you fold up your stroller and leave it leaning on the wall. When we got off the plane we waited at the same spot for them to unload the stroller right where we had left it. On at least one occassion it was there before we were. There was never any damage. I am not sure where exactly on the plane they put them. We have flown USAIR, SOUTHWEST and Airtran w/o any stroller issues. HAve fun.

Pooh Fan
07-17-2009, 02:12 PM
On our first trip as parents (to Disney of course) we checked our stroller in with our bags. BIG MISTAKE! :( It's not fun carrying a child (4 months at the time) through security and through the entire airport as you wait for your flight. We didn't know that checking it at the gate was an option until we watched others do it on that trip. Ever since then we have used the stroller right up until boarding. They give you a tag and as mentioned before you just collapse it and leave it by the entrance to the plane. It's always been waiting for us when we get off and has never had any damage done to it. Now we are doing this with our second child and in my opinion it's the only option. :thumbsup:

DisneyAggies
07-17-2009, 02:28 PM
We always gate check ours. It's nice being able to stroll down to the plane, get the kids out of the stroller and go!

Only hang up (and it's not a big deal to us) is the wait for them to get the stroller back up to us...it can sometimes take a few minutes, and some parents get frustrated easily--especially after flying with a LO. But for us...waiting that short amount of time is worth it!!

Another great idea is checking the stroller with baggage and using a sling/baby carrier for your LO. (you didn't say how old your LO was...) My YDS spent most of the first 9 months in a sling, so I was second nature for him (and for me).

Disney Doll
07-17-2009, 04:45 PM
We always gate check because we need the stroller in the airport. I did buy a stroller bag because I had heard others complain of scuffs or dirty spots on their strollers after flying with them. I really like the bag. Our stroller bag looks pretty dirty after just 2 trips, but the stroller is in perfect condition.

meldan98
07-17-2009, 05:17 PM
When we flew with our ODD, we used a gate check stroller bag. Don't waste your money on this bag. It is thin and fell apart before we even got to WDW. Get a better quality bag, you'll be glad you did. Also, are you planning on taking a full size stroller with lots of plastic parts (tray, footrest, cup holder, etc.) Those are the things most likely to get broken when it is in the underbelly of the plane.

Andys5Toys
07-17-2009, 05:26 PM
We always check our strollers at the gate - greatest system ever! The tired kids go straight in to their strollers from the gate and you are on your way. Plus, when you get the gate check tag, it makes the employees at the gate that they need to call you to pre-board with your little ones.

PAYROLL PRINCESS
07-17-2009, 07:37 PM
We've gate checked my nephews strollers and haven't had any problems. It's more convenient to take the child right to the plane and then you can also keep the diaper bag, carry on etc in the storage part under the stroller.

Emme&TeddysMommy
07-17-2009, 07:47 PM
I agree with the other posters we check our strollers at the gate. It makes life so much easier. I do agree that if your stroller has cup holders/ect... if you can removem them do it or else they might get damaged or lost. Have a great trip!