PDA

View Full Version : Special Cakes :(

Disney_Barbie
07-17-2009, 11:13 AM
I never realized how poor the quality of the specialty cakes were outside of the Grand Floridian :(
I saw pictures & read descriptions on line about the beautifull & delicous cakes offered at the Grand floridain & I think also possibly Cinderell'as Royal Table (we're not dining there, so I didn't pay too much attention to what was offered @ Cindy's). Cakes of a MULTITUDE of falvors like red velvet, white chocolate moose, fresh berry filling, ect. And beautiful designs like a "glass" slipper or mini castle on top.
So you can imagine my excitement, when I called the California Grill, hopeing for some really yummy beautiful anniversary cake to complete our dinner. But I found our only option was chocolate w/ chocolate frosting or vanilla w/ vanilla frosting. And the most "decorating" they can do is to write happy anniversary on it.
I was so saddened. I mean, I understand that they can't offer crazy beautiful bakery style cakes at EVERY resturant, but I assumed all the Signature places would be able to offer some sort of special cake

FriendsofMickey
07-17-2009, 11:41 AM
When we went for my girls 5th birthday. We bought a birthday cake for them at Chef Mickeys. I even thought about buying them each one (twins), but thought it would be just such a waste.
Anyway, I am really happy we just bought one because it was still frozen when they brought it out. I definateyy would not spend the money again. For birthday's most restaurants will give them cupcakes included in their meal. Not sure about aniversaries.

StitchFan#1
07-17-2009, 12:13 PM
, white chocolate moose,

Lol its mousse and I have afunny story aBOUT THAT TOO i was wlkin around food and wine at epcto and a little gurl gose Mango Mouse Mommy can I gets one lol its was so darn funny
dorry bout the bad spelling

DizneyRox
07-17-2009, 01:31 PM
I'm POSITIVE that you can get the specialty cakes, but they cost... Last time I ordered one it was over $300 if I recall correctly. The mini castle is actually a white chocolate creation and sells for $125 by itself.

These prices go back a number of years, so they could have easily gone up.

Disney_Barbie
07-17-2009, 02:37 PM
I'm POSITIVE that you can get the specialty cakes, but they cost... Last time I ordered one it was over $300 if I recall correctly. The mini castle is actually a white chocolate creation and sells for $125 by itself.

These prices go back a number of years, so they could have easily gone up.

(not that I'm necessarily willing to pay that much) but if I was, how would I go about doing it? I specifically asked Cali Grill on the phone if there was any "fancier" options, and she said no :(

DizneyRox
07-17-2009, 03:19 PM
I think we arranged it through the Grand Floridian. I'd start there, I'm sure they can direct you correctly.

Like I said, they get pricey, but they are very tasty! If you go through the regular restaurant, you get mass produced cakes that are distributed as needed. Going through the Grand, you get exactly what you ask for made just for you. There is NOTHING that you can't get done at Disney, we learned this for our wedding. It's not about what you want, it's about how much you are willing to spend.

ElenitaB
07-17-2009, 07:44 PM
While you can get specialty cakes at certain resorts/parks, the Cali Grill and Contemporary are among the places that are more difficult than others. Of late, DisneyWorld is very big into pushing the "podium cakes" which are limited in size/choice and indeed are frozen and pulled out on an as-needed basis. It's a shame too because people are willing to pay for a nice speciality cake. For the younger set, WDW offers Pirate treasure chest or Princess jewelry box "celebration cakes" (they're the size of a large cupcake/small loaf cake); more info is available here (http://disneyworld.disney.go.com/celebrations/customizations/). Through Disney Florist you can set up an "in room celebration" and depending on which resort you're staying at, you may be able to order a cake from Room Service (call before your arrival if you want it there in the first few days of your visit; they need a few days of lead time).

The restaurants/resorts where it is less difficult to procure a specialty cake include: Wilderness Lodge (I've called room service in advance to get a cake delivered to a room), the Boardwalk (you order them through the Boardwalk Bakery; they have an adorable Mickey head cake... not romantic for an anniversary but cute nonetheless); the Yacht Club, particularly Yachtsman Steakhouse where they make AWESOME cakes; the Grand Floridian and the GF restaurants.

Dawn,DeniseandDiane
07-17-2009, 08:16 PM
We have ordered some very beautiful cakes from the Boardwalk Bakery and they have delivered them to a few different restaurants for us. We bought a beautiful one for our b-day and had it sent to Chef Mickeys. They make them fresh and they decorate them just beautifully. It costs around $50. We didn't have anything super fancy like the castle, but we had a 9x11,I believe. It was filled and they did a beutiful job w/ roses and Mickey and Minnie on the cake made w/ frosting. They also have the rice paper decorations for the cakes too. They said they have every character possible. And will decorate the cake any way you want. The prettiest one we have ever had was the one we had with fresh fruit on a chocolate cake.It was one on the most elegant and delicious cakes we have ever had. We got it for the Illuminations B-day cruise. We took it back to the lounge and shared it w/ everyone and had one big, fun party! It was a neat way to meet new friends.
I hope I am not too off topic w/ what you all were discussing.

Dawn,Denise&Diane:wave::wave::wave:

Maleficent's Dad
07-17-2009, 09:06 PM
We have ordered some very beautiful cakes from the Boardwalk Bakery and they have delivered them to a few different restaurants for us
Do you have the contact info that you used? DW is celebrating the big four-oh this year down there, and well, I'd like some sort of special cake! :mickey:

Dawn,DeniseandDiane
07-17-2009, 11:48 PM
I would call the BWI front desk and get it from them. They can give you the direct number.
407-939-5100
I believe they need atleast 3 days notice.
She will love it and what a nice surprise!!

Disney_Barbie
07-20-2009, 09:56 AM
We have ordered some very beautiful cakes from the Boardwalk Bakery and they have delivered them to a few different restaurants for us.

THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU!!!!
This is EXACTLY the kind of information I was looking for! I knew there had to be some means of getting a "better" cake than just the podium ones (which sounds like what they were offering me when I called Cali Grill) , But I didn't know where to look! I'm going to call the Boardwalk Bakery & see what can be done. TOTALLY not off topic, your post was SUPER helpfull - thank you!!!

Do you have the contact info that you used? DW is celebrating the big four-oh this year down there, and well, I'd like some sort of special cake! :mickey:

I haven't actually called yet, but on an other website I found the #s to speak to most of the resturants directly. The boardwalk Bakery is listed as 407-939-5175 - but as I said, I don't know for 100% since I haven't actually called it yet

TheRustyScupper
07-20-2009, 10:35 AM
I called the California Grill, hopeing for some really yummy beautiful anniversary cake to complete our dinner. But I found our only option was chocolate w/ chocolate frosting or vanilla w/ vanilla frosting.

1) Do not call the restaurant.
2) You will ONLY get the choices of Sara Lee frozen cakes.
3) you must call the cake hotline for specialty cakes.

Disney_Barbie
07-20-2009, 10:52 AM
1) Do not call the restaurant.
2) You will ONLY get the choices of Sara Lee frozen cakes.
3) you must call the cake hotline for specialty cakes.

Technically I did dial the cake hotline (I called 407-827-2253) but it kept putting me thru menus & options (to be exact I presssed 7 (which was for the Contemproary Resort, WL, Fort Wilderness, Port Orleans & Old Key West) then 1 (Which was for Cali grill, Wave & Chef mickeys) then the phone was picked up by a person, who asked me which of those 3 resturants & proceeded to tell me the "sara lee" cakes (she didnt' call them that, but...) where the only options, but that they could write happy anniversary on them.
Did I do something wrong? Technically I did call the cake line...

Disney_Barbie
07-20-2009, 11:05 AM
I haven't actually called yet, but on an other website I found the #s to speak to most of the resturants directly. The boardwalk Bakery is listed as 407-939-5175 - but as I said, I don't know for 100% since I haven't actually called it yet

No progress :(
I called the 407-939-5175 number that I mentioned an other site said was the direct line for the boardwalk bakery, and no avail. It directed me to Boardwalk Private dining, where the CM who answered the phone actually chuckled at me & told me they could not do that :(
Any more advice?

Dawn,DeniseandDiane
07-20-2009, 11:56 AM
I just called the Boardwalk directly at 407-939-5100. They can put you through to the bakery to talk to them there. They said that you need to contact the restaurant directly and let them know that you want your cake ordered through the Boardwalk Bakery. They need to do this to make sure someone from the restaurant picks it up for you. This is what the bakery staff just told me. We always had our concierge take care of this so, we never had to worry about it being delivered to the proper place. The gal was really nice and you can call the same # and get great advice on what needs to be done if you like. Hope it helps. Please let us know.

shortcake311
07-20-2009, 12:28 PM
My husband and I were in Disney this past October for our anniversary, but I never requested a cake anywhere. However, we were at Chef Mickey's for our anniversary breakfast and the woman waiting on us was amazing and gave us a cute little cupcake with two candles.

Disney_Barbie
07-20-2009, 12:31 PM
I just called the Boardwalk directly at 407-939-5100. They can put you through to the bakery to talk to them there. They said that you need to contact the restaurant directly and let them know that you want your cake ordered through the Boardwalk Bakery. They need to do this to make sure someone from the restaurant picks it up for you. This is what the bakery staff just told me. We always had our concierge take care of this so, we never had to worry about it being delivered to the proper place. The gal was really nice and you can call the same # and get great advice on what needs to be done if you like. Hope it helps. Please let us know.

Thank you!
FINALLY I seem to be on the right track! I have the email address of the Contemporary baker, so I'm going to contact her right now. But thank you SO MUCH everyone (espeically Dawn,Denise&Diane) for all your help.
Haha, I guess my disney lesson is to be persistant! Seriously the first time I spoke with Contemporary Private Dinning, which I accessed thru the menu options on the cake hotline, I spoke with a gril (I wish I wrote her name down, but I didn't ) who made it seem like there wasn't a chance of getting anything besides the "sara lee cakes". Actually, if it wasn't for intercot I would have given up there & then! (which FYI, is no way to make a sale!)
After all the advise, and after many other phone calls, I called the contemporary directly (with original plans of requesting like Dawn,Denise&Diane had said, to request to have a boardwalk bakery cake brought in) but the sweet Contemporary CM that I spoke with (Olga) seemed to think it was MORE than possible to have a nice cake done right there, without even having to involve the boadwalk bakery. She had me call the cake line.
I had low hopes, since I followed the same procejuer (sp?) as last time. But this time when I finished going thru the menu options, I get a VERY kind man @ Contemproary Private Dining, that was SO MUCH more knowlegeable & kind than the last girl. Like I said above, he gave me the email of the baker, I'm going to contact her right now to ask about my options :mickey:
I'll keep this post, well posted about what the baker says & how it all turns out :)
Thanks to all!

DisneyOtaku
07-21-2009, 11:46 AM
Thank you!
FINALLY I seem to be on the right track! I have the email address of the Contemporary baker, so I'm going to contact her right now. But thank you SO MUCH everyone (espeically Dawn,Denise&Diane) for all your help.
Haha, I guess my disney lesson is to be persistant! Seriously the first time I spoke with Contemporary Private Dinning, which I accessed thru the menu options on the cake hotline, I spoke with a gril (I wish I wrote her name down, but I didn't ) who made it seem like there wasn't a chance of getting anything besides the "sara lee cakes". Actually, if it wasn't for intercot I would have given up there & then! (which FYI, is no way to make a sale!)
After all the advise, and after many other phone calls, I called the contemporary directly (with original plans of requesting like Dawn,Denise&Diane had said, to request to have a boardwalk bakery cake brought in) but the sweet Contemporary CM that I spoke with (Olga) seemed to think it was MORE than possible to have a nice cake done right there, without even having to involve the boadwalk bakery. She had me call the cake line.
I had low hopes, since I followed the same procejuer (sp?) as last time. But this time when I finished going thru the menu options, I get a VERY kind man @ Contemproary Private Dining, that was SO MUCH more knowlegeable & kind than the last girl. Like I said above, he gave me the email of the baker, I'm going to contact her right now to ask about my options :mickey:
I'll keep this post, well posted about what the baker says & how it all turns out :)
Thanks to all!

I am so glad you're getting the info you want, with the help you want! Let us know how your cake-hunt goes!

Disney_Barbie
08-03-2009, 03:16 PM
Just incase anyone's curios or interested :
The rest of my experience went WONDERFULL (hahah, well we haven't actually arrived & seen/eaten the cake yet, But I have a feeling everything will be great) It took a bit to hear back from my email. I got an autmatic reply from the baker that she was on vacation. There was alternate contacts in the email, but I didn't bother since I had more than enough time on my hands (I originally contacted her over a month before our trip)
I recently heard back from the Contemporary Resort Cake Decorator and conversed back & forth with him via email regarding exactly what I was looking for.
I just got it finalized today and for a grand total of $45, we have a "6-inch traditional wedding style Almond cake with white chocolate mousse filling & buttercream icing" - Mmmmm, my mouth is begining to water as we speak, and all for $45 I thought that was quite a good deal.
I mean, I supose regularly $45 for a dessert for 2 people would be a bit pricey, but some of the prices people mentioned before (the 3-figure prices scared me a bit)
But heck, $45 for a 6" is comparable to a nice local bakery!
Thanks intercottee's for encouraging me to keep trying until I got what I wanted!

DizneyRox
08-03-2009, 04:02 PM
I mean, I supose regularly $45 for a dessert for 2 people would be a bit pricey, but some of the prices people mentioned before (the 3-figure prices scared me a bit)
But heck, $45 for a 6" is comparable to a nice local bakery!

Yeah, like I said though, the white chocolate castle is over $100 by itself. Adding that to a cake and then flowers, it's not hard to get into the "What are you insane?!" price point.

Disney_Barbie
01-22-2010, 11:20 AM
Well, it's been like 6 months since our trip. And I'm now working on planning our next anniversary, which reminded me that I never gave a final update to this thread.
From there out, they all lived happliy ever after. Haha, no seriously though, ever since I got the email address from Contemporary Private Dinning, everyhting went smoothly! The cake was perfect, delisious and quite affordably in my opinion. My complements to the bakers! We brought the rest of the cake back to our room and enjoyed it for the rest of the week.
It was so amazing, that I'm planning to email them & order the exact same thing for next year.
And the moral of the story : (well, from my point of view, at least) once you've proceeded thru all the steps of the "cake hotline" and gotten all the way to speaking w/ the private dinning of the resort. Do not bother speaking with them. Just politely ask for an email address for the baker. You'll save yourself a hudge headache.

wedoada
06-01-2010, 06:27 PM
Could you email me the email for the contemporary baker...

We have two couples going to WDW (staying at BLT) in October,,,1 celebrating their 15th and my DW and I celebrating our 20th anniversaries and I would love to order a special cake for our dinner at the Wave.

email is in my profile

Thanks !!

Disney_Barbie
06-03-2010, 11:34 AM
Could you email me the email for the contemporary baker...

We have two couples going to WDW (staying at BLT) in October,,,1 celebrating their 15th and my DW and I celebrating our 20th anniversaries and I would love to order a special cake for our dinner at the Wave.

email is in my profile

Thanks !!

Hi Wedoada, Sorry I looked in your profile, but didn't see your email. But I sent you a PM with some info