PDA

View Full Version : Fantasmic with a 2 year old and 4 year old?

wgbuck
07-17-2009, 11:09 AM
Just wanted to get everyone's opinion on taking a 2 year old and 4 year old to Fantasmic.

I've never been, but it sounds like a great show. That said, the idea of standing in a line for an hour (with two toddlers) doesn't sound very appealing. I know it's been mentioned that if you can do the late show, you don't have to wait as long, ... although, that's probably not an option with our kids. Additionally, I wonder how much enjoyment the kids will get out of the show. Don't get me wrong, I know they'll be amzed at all of the special effects and such, ... but they're not going to follow the plot (especially considering they've only seen a limited number of "non-frightening" Disney movies). Also, I know there will be many more trips to WDW as the kids grow older, ... so I'm thinking about waiting for a few more years before we do the show.

Thoughts?

g8rgirl29
07-17-2009, 11:17 AM
If you are set on taking them this trip I would think about one of the Fantasmic dining packages so the wait in line won't be quite as long. Also bring snacks and other little items to occupy them either way (mini magna doodle, glow bracelets, light up toys etc). Our DD was 4 last year when we went and it was a little hard keeping her occupied and the line to get in was an absolute horror!!! It was like being trapped in line with a herd of pushing and shoving cattle, then waiting forever for the show to start. That was before they cut down the amount of shows and in September and can't imagine how bad it is now. We are in no hurry to go back after our experience. We might do it this year cuz oldest DD hasn't been but I am not looking forward to the experience.

FriendsofMickey
07-17-2009, 11:21 AM
My only caution is that if you wait, you never know if you will actually get a chance to see it. You just never know when Disney will decide to change the show or cancel it completely.

Have you considered trying to book a fantasmic package with one of the restaraunts? This would allow your wait to be much less.

My daughters at age 3 understood the show and loved it. Parts were a little scary, but when we left they were so happy that "Mickey saved the day!". We would not want to miss it, if we could help it.

Disney Doll
07-17-2009, 11:31 AM
Since you say there will be many more trips I would wait. We took nieces when they were 3 and 5. That was in off season and it was before they reduced the show times. We did wait probably an hour, but mainly because we had already seen all we wanted in DHS and were ready for a rest. That was before the days of the dining package. We got our seats and then sent DH to get hotdogs which are sold at a stand in the back of the theater. Sitting there eating killed a good deal of time so that's something you might consider. They liked the show okay, but didn't seem overly impressed. Getting out of the park after the show was a hassle because everyone was leaving at the same time. It was shoulder to shoulder and would be very easy to lose a kid in those crowds. I think it would be all around easier if the kids were a couple of years older.

Madzac
07-17-2009, 02:13 PM
My kids loved fantasmic! My 4 yr old still talks about it several months later. The wait thing is very challenging and we toyed with skipping it this trip but my oldest who is 7 and saw it at 4 really wanted to go again so we waited. It is a long wait, but we wouldnt miss it! I agree with a poster that recommended bringing your supper with you and using that time to eat!

Gator
07-17-2009, 02:50 PM
I took a 3yo and 2yo last year and it's they're favorite fireworks show. Why? Fireworks AND Mickey. It's hard to beat that.

I just wish they'd add more shows. It's starting to tick me off.:thedolls:

PAYROLL PRINCESS
07-17-2009, 03:35 PM
We took my nephew when he was 4 and he loved it! It wasn't too scary for him and he really enjoyed doing the wave while waiting for the show to start. I can't remember if we took him when he was 2.5 but if we did he wasn't scared then either.

Pirate Granny
07-17-2009, 07:37 PM
CAREFUL about the dining packages now...we have always enjoyed Fantasmic this way, but alas, since they cut the shows and don't have them every night there is NO guarantee that you will get a seat. We had a package and it was on a night with two shows...dining packages are required to go to the first show. We were told to be there 60 minutes BEFORE the show started...now, I'm thinking, why did I get a package?...anyway, we were bad and showed up 30 minutes before the show to be told that there was STANDING ROOM ONLY...all reserved seating was full???? Interesting, since there were a lot of people with the same tickets we had for the package...By reading other posts it says that the CM no longer protect the reserve seats and persons just move over and sit in that section. We will not be purchasing a dining package anymore. So the moral of the story is...you will need to get there 60 minutes before the show in any case. IMO it's not worth the wait with two small children.
:pirate:

wgbuck
07-20-2009, 09:23 AM
We've decided to pass on Fantasmic this trip. I know we're rolling the dice, ... but hopefully Disney will continue with the show (or at least something as good) in the future. I was already leaning towards not doing the trip, and after reading some of your stories, ... it just made the decision a little easier.

Greenlawler
07-21-2009, 11:29 AM
from our experiance making sure they know that Mickey is going to win helped my boys when they were wee lads.

princessesmom
07-21-2009, 12:45 PM
If mentioned that they have only seen "non-scary" Disney movies. You should be aware that Fantasmic can be quite scary for some children. It definitely depends on the child. When my oldest was 4 I would have never considered taking her, because she was easily frighted. However, on our February trip my youngest was 4 and she did okay with it, though she was a little scared in parts. And as others have said, the dining package doesn't really save you much time anymore. We used it again in February and had to be there at least 45 minutes before the show and the entrance is the same one everyone else uses. We did fine getting there 45 minutes before and the kids handled it okay. I think the fright factor is a bigger concern that waiting in line.