PDA

View Full Version : Crocs are out?

magicofdisney
07-16-2009, 03:58 PM
This from Fox News

Whether you marveled at their functionality or winced at their quirky design, the future of the little foam wonder shoes called Crocs hangs in the balance.
Once the darling of a booming economy, the manufacturer sold a remarkable 100 million pairs of the cheap, comfortable clog in just seven years. But that was then.
The company lost a whopping $185.1 million in 2008 and was forced to cut 2,000 jobs, the Washington Post reports.
A victim of the recession, the company has spent much of 2009 scrambling to find a way to pay down its millions of dollars of debt. After expanding as fast as they could to meet consumer demand, executives are also now scratching their heads over what to do with a surplus of shoes.
Perhaps the biggest "problem" with Crocs? Their high quality. Designed to be practically indestructible, consumers apparently find little need to ever buy a second pair.
But while one expert told the Post that the company is “dead and they don’t know it,” CEO John Duerden isn’t quite ready to throw in the towel.
"The bottom line is, people talk about Crocs," he said. "They either love them or hate them, but it's in the vernacular."
As were Hammer pants.
I've yet to buy an indestructible pair of Crocs. I can see why sales are down in this economy, but my kids go through them relatively quickly. I suppose if they only wore them at theme parks, I could see not needing as many pairs.

Jasper
07-16-2009, 04:08 PM
"Practically indestructible???" I strongly disagree with that particular statement. While I do love my Crocs because of their comfort I also wear the treads off the bottom about once a year and have to get new ones. Additionally, the strap that is suppose to go around the heel always gets caught on something and torn off.

Love my Crocs but they are most definitely destructible!

Georgesgirl1
07-16-2009, 04:10 PM
I think some people see them as indestructible, but they aren't.

As a teacher, I have bandaged many a skinned knee because kids were wearing Crocs with all the tread worn off and slid and hurt themselves. My MIL actually slid in a puddle of water and really hurt herself b/c she had no tread on her Crocs.

I have two pairs, but I wear them so infrequently that they have plenty of wear left in them!

MNNHFLTX
07-16-2009, 06:08 PM
My husband inherited a pair of Crocs from his dad and has taken to wearing them all the time. I do understand the sentimental reasons behind this, but would dearly love to have him wear them less. They have never been my cup of tea. :)

PirateLover
07-16-2009, 07:07 PM
I also think they over expanded. They unveiled a whole new line of "Fashionable" footwear. I was very interested in these- until I saw their price tag. Some of them were over $100!!! I was on the site recently and saw that many of these shoes were on clearance and the most expensive one I saw was $70. I finally bought a pair of flip flops on sale for $30. It was well worth the investment, but it was hard to take that leap when I can just stock up on $1 pairs from Old Navy or Target...

Ian
07-16-2009, 10:55 PM
Not to put too fine a point on it, but ....

:clappy:

Tink2002
07-16-2009, 11:06 PM
I'm really not into my clog crocs any more - passing trend. boo.

BUT... I have two pairs of croc sandals that i LOVE and get complements on often... my black pair are just about ready to be retired as far as the treads go, but I love them for work outside with the kids at daycare - they can get covered in dirt and just need a quick rinse in the sink and they're perfect again.

thrillme
07-16-2009, 11:54 PM
I swore I'd never wear crocs...now it's all the family wears...

Indestructible...nope...they wear out just like anything else. They're just more expensive than some of the no-name brands you can buy at Walmart etc. HOWEVER...I tried several "cheap" brands before finally breaking down and getting the "crocs". The cheaper brands always ended up leaving blisters on my toe knuckle. Maybe my toe knuckle is bigger than other toe knuckles out there...but for those type of slip on's...they are the most comfy...but their too expensive to buy more than just a pair till the others wear out.

crazeedizneefinatic
07-17-2009, 11:06 AM
I would agree they do wear out, my son has had several pair because the treads wear out. I do wonder how true the statement is that they are going under....Crocs are showing up in discount stores everywhere where I live....just picked up pair of mary jane style crocs for $9.99 instead of the usual $29.99 which I would not pay anyway. I don't understand the draw either. I don't dislike them for the look but rather the practicality of them. My first pair of Crocs (my maryjanes) were worn to a picnic and the first stone I steped on I knew they were not for me, lol.

MickeyMousse
07-17-2009, 01:56 PM
"Practically indestructible???" I strongly disagree with that particular statement. While I do love my Crocs because of their comfort I also wear the treads off the bottom about once a year and have to get new ones. Additionally, the strap that is suppose to go around the heel always gets caught on something and torn off.

Love my Crocs but they are most definitely destructible!

:ditto:

I've had the same pair that I purchased in WDW in 11/07 and really need to replace them. The treads are worn (= easy slipping!) and the strap finally came away from the shoe, although my Gorilla Glue seems to be working just fine! But I agree, they ARE NOT indestructible, by far.

PAYROLL PRINCESS
07-17-2009, 07:52 PM
I bought my nephew a pair and this is his 3rd summer wearing them. I'm gonna have to check the tread on them.
I have 2 pair of the sandals and find them so comfortable.

DisneyDog
07-19-2009, 03:32 PM
Well, kids do grow out of them. My DSis on his second pair. By the time he grew out of his first pair they were looking pretty ragged. We are set for now, but maybe I better buy him the next size before we can't get them anymore.

princessjojo
07-19-2009, 06:38 PM
I'll be the first to say they aren't the most fashionable things to wear. But my older DS likes to wear them to the pool in the summer because he can't wear flip-flops or sandals because of foot surgeries. We also found them to be cheaper to purchase than to put sneakers in the dryer when they get wet in the florida rain. Other than that they only wear them for shower shoes and when they take motorcycle boots and riding gear off.

DisneyWizard
07-21-2009, 05:07 PM
if only they went out of business - people wouldn't wear them anymore! :D

the hammer pants reference was amazing...

Marceline
07-21-2009, 06:04 PM
I have a pair....tread is still intact....cause I am terrified to wear them in public for fear of the shame and ridicule. :razz:

They are great kitchen shoes for extended periods on mah feet cooking a big dinner however. :thumbsup:

crazypoohbear
07-21-2009, 08:24 PM
I have one pair of sandals that I can't wear if it's been raining out (like every day here in M A)
the tread is worn down and it is very slippery walking on my walk way
I would like to buy another pair but I can find that style anymore :(:(

Flower
07-28-2009, 08:57 PM
Ben - 3 pairs
Brandon - 2 pairs
Me - 3 pairs of Athens, 1 pair Cyprus & 1 pair of sasari

Our family loves them - I have done numerous Disney trips in just my Athens, no running shoes needed. I don't have any clog-style crocs - I really hope the company survives though.

I bought the Sasari (Wedge high heel) for an outdoor wedding I was in last fall - the reception got rained out, the other people in the wedding party that were wearing dressy high-heels ended up ruining their shoes - I hosed mine down the next day and was good-to-go! I found the Cypress (high-heels) this spring and bought a pair - I love them!

baldburke
07-28-2009, 09:12 PM
I usually buy a pair every summer too, but switch to their flip-flop version to avoid the hoof look.

I doubt Crocs will ever go away. They'd probably get bought up for cheap instead of just disappearing. If not, they'll still probably live on in knock offs for years to come.

SurferStitch
07-28-2009, 09:46 PM
Not to put too fine a point on it, but ....

:clappy:

I instantly pictured Heinz Doofenshmirtz saying that when I read it....:D (Yes, I watch waaaaaay too much Phineas and Ferb)

I wholeheartedly agree.

magicofdisney
07-28-2009, 09:58 PM
I instantly pictured Heinz Doofenshmirtz saying that when I read it....:D (Yes, I watch waaaaaay too much Phineas and Ferb)

I wholeheartedly agree.
And I instantly started singing, "Doofenshmirtz Evil, Incorporated..." ;)

Tinkerfreak
07-31-2009, 08:38 AM
My family does not have any. My daughters school sent home a notice asking parents not to send their kids to school in them because the kids were tripping and falling down I guess. I have seen some kids have them fall off while trying to run in them. Is it because they are bulky or do they just slip off easily? Absolutely not critisizing anyone who wears them I am just curious about them.

tinksmom02
07-31-2009, 07:14 PM
This from Fox News
I've yet to buy an indestructible pair of Crocs. I can see why sales are down in this economy, but my kids go through them relatively quickly. I suppose if they only wore them at theme parks, I could see not needing as many pairs.

I agree with you. I've only ever had one pair, but then again, I wear them mainly at Disney, so they sit in the closet for most of the year.

My daughter, on the other hand, lives in them, and has worn out 3 or 4 pairs already. Plus the dog ate one. :mad: The pair I paid top-dollar for at the GF last year when my daughter got off the pirate ship and was soaked through.

DizneyFreak2002
07-31-2009, 07:18 PM
Crocs are out??? Question: were they ever really in??? :D

Alligirl
08-08-2009, 02:49 PM
I have developed flat feet and could only wear Birkenstocks. Then my DD had me try her Mickey Crocs and I could not believe that I could wear them all day without pain! I now own a pair of the "Patricia" sandal style crocs. I have worn them nearly every day since I bought them in May! I am worried that they will go out of business so I think I might pick up a few more pair before then. They are a LOT cheaper than Birks! LOL some choice huh? Birks or Crocs!!:(

ibelieveindisneymagic
08-14-2009, 06:33 PM
DD and I love our crocs! Quite honestly, except when they are just totally inappropriate, we wear them just about everywhere. :walk:

We both have wide feet, and find it hard to find comfy shoes, but these are the best, and with all of the styles, you don't always have to wear the "clog".

However, I do agree with the tread issue. I fell at Epcot on our last trip 'cause I was wearing my old ones with no tread and we got caught in the rain. :(

Hopefully we can stock up on a bunch of them, before we can't find them anymore.

Mousemates
08-20-2009, 09:26 PM
the death of crocs will not impact me in any way...while others swear by them, I found them to be both uncomfortable and unfashionable. They tend to clash with my jorts and fannypack...even when I wore them with knee length black socks.

garymacd
08-20-2009, 10:09 PM
the death of crocs will not impact me in any way...while others swear by them, I found them to be both uncomfortable and unfashionable. They tend to clash with my jorts and fannypack...even when I wore them with knee length black socks.

Don't forget the pocket protector, money-counter's visor and zinc oxide on the nose.

Ooooh! and Aviator sunglasses! I love my aviators.

:rotfl:

lovewalt
08-30-2009, 02:21 AM
Had to bump this up to let the Croc lovers know that at the Crocs website they are having a BOGO sale with FREE SHIPPING.
The mary janes I wanted (I only buy black and choc brown) were sold out so I am trying a new style called Juneau.I hope to be able to wear them to work.I don't like the clog style..I end up tripping myself with them!

Dopey's Girl
08-30-2009, 02:08 PM
I'm not surprised...they got really big, really quickly.

I love my crocs...they are comfy. My feet don't like tennies, so I need to find other shoes to wear. Crocs and flip flops have saved my feet in many trips to WDW!

VWL Mom
08-30-2009, 04:30 PM
Had to bump this up to let the Croc lovers know that at the Crocs website they are having a BOGO sale with FREE SHIPPING.

Thanks so much, just hopped over there and bought some. These shoes saved me on my last trip! Due to some foot issues of late I need to wear an ankle brace. During my August trip my normally reliable NB were not working with the brace and I was in pain. I remembered this post and went into the BW shop and bought a pair. Could not believe how comfortable. Now I'll have some new colors for my November trip. :mickey:

teambricker04
09-05-2009, 10:02 PM
Although like them and think they are comfy (And my kids can put them on without help!), I have banished them from the feet of my family when I stepped on a sewing needle at home and it went straight through the shoe and broke off in my foot where it will reside forever and ever. The pain was horrible, but then it had me thinking... what could my kids step on that could break off in their feet... YIKES!!!!

Lakin
09-07-2009, 02:50 PM
Wait a minute. Crocs were in?

d_m_n_n
09-13-2009, 09:12 AM
Thank you so much for the heads-up! I live in my cleo's in the summer time and was thrilled to find them, in my size, as the BOGO. Unfortunately, this means they are probably being discontinued so I now have 2 years to find my new summer shoes! I'm too old to worry about what's in...I am now "my mother" and need comfort! :D

TakeMe2EPCOT
09-14-2009, 09:50 PM
No offense, but please, please, please, no more Crocs! Socks and tennis shoes aren't all that hard to put on!