PDA

View Full Version : Discovery Island

NJGIRL
07-16-2009, 03:45 PM
Does anyone know what they are using Discovery Island for now? I cam across some pictures from our visit there years ago and it got me thinking abouth the place. Is the island completely clean out or are they using it for something?

JPL
07-16-2009, 03:49 PM
Everything was left in place on the Island to rot away all the animals were relocated to AK. There were rumours about it becoming an adventure based on the game Myst a few years back but that nevre happened. The most recent rumours serfaced as a Pirate adventure but nothing has become of that either.

NJGIRL
07-16-2009, 04:53 PM
That's too bad. I could think of a couple of really cool things that they could have done with it. Do you know why it closed in the first place? When we went there were alot of people on the island.

Jasper
07-16-2009, 05:24 PM
After all the animals were moved to the Animal Kingdom a giant vault was secretly dug under the center of the island. Into this vault was lowered the frozen body of Walt Disney and all the equipment necessary to keep his body safe until such time as they can cure cancer and bring him back to life.

All the trees and rotting buildings were left as a cover to hide what is really going on at the center of the island. In addition, prior to the development of Animal Kingdom, The Disney Company did genetic research into ways to change giant land turtles and pink flamingos from seemingly safe animals into viscous attack animals. Those altered animals now remain on the island to keep away anyone who may get too curious about the strange noises and sights on the island

It is thought that the attack turtles and flamingos are responsible for the disappearance of a family of 5 from Iowa last year. The family was last seen riding Sea Doos near the island! In fact, the only thing ever found of them was part of a Mickey hat with one ear left attached that was found floating in the water just off the west side of the island!

Seriously though the island was closed because Disney did not need two "zoos" at the resort.

JPL
07-16-2009, 06:07 PM
Do you know why it closed in the first place? When we went there were alot of people on the island.

It was closed so it didn't compete directly with AK and it was easier to have all the animal care facilities in one place.

steamboat willy
07-17-2009, 03:45 PM
The World Cruise to Discovery Island: :sail:

As an 18 year old young man, I piloted and engineered the Ports O Call steam driven paddle wheeler on the waters of the Seven Seas Lagoon and Bay Lake, home of Discovery Island.

Before it officially opened, I assisted in ship wrecking the wooden vessel that sets on the South Shore of Discovery Island, just across from what used to be River Country, another SAD losted attraction. :sadwave:

Discovery Island was a neat hour long get away only reachable by boat back when it was ONLY the Magic Kingdom, the Contemporary, the Polynesian :tikki: and Ft. Wilderness and Lake Buena Vista Shopping Village.

Luckily I did not have to see the two Paddlewheelers and even a Chinese Junk go to dry dock and never to return to sail the Disney Waters.

Discovery Island is stll there, maybe it will be Re-Discovered again. :thumbsup:

Lakin
07-17-2009, 07:37 PM
After all the animals were moved to the Animal Kingdom a giant vault was secretly dug under the center of the island. Into this vault was lowered the frozen body of Walt Disney and all the equipment necessary to keep his body safe until such time as they can cure cancer and bring him back to life.

ROTFLOL - that dumb rumor always cracks me up.

NJGIRL
07-21-2009, 04:47 PM
very funny Jasper:D

NJGIRL
07-21-2009, 04:49 PM
Thanks for the memories Steamboat. I love hearing first hand accounts of Disney history.

mainemajor
07-21-2009, 05:51 PM
Used to love the escape to Discovery Island. What a break from the hetic pace of MK.
There is always hope that they will do something there. Perhaps a Pirate World?

BluewaterBrad
07-23-2009, 07:13 PM

All the trees and rotting buildings were left as a cover to hide what is really going on at the center of the island. In addition, prior to the development of Animal Kingdom, The Disney Company did genetic research into ways to change giant land turtles and pink flamingos from seemingly safe animals into viscous attack animals. Those altered animals now remain on the island to keep away anyone who may get too curious about the strange noises and sights on the island

It is thought that the attack turtles and flamingos are responsible for the disappearance of a family of 5 from Iowa last year. The family was last seen riding Sea Doos near the island! In fact, the only thing ever found of them was part of a Mickey hat with one ear left attached that was found floating in the water just off the west side of the island!

Seriously though the island was closed because Disney did not need two "zoos" at the resort.

You made me laugh!! Thanks!!:mickey::mickey:

ibrowse17
07-23-2009, 10:59 PM
I always think of my grandmother when I see Discovery(Treasure) Island. She enjoyed it so much, and showed us around as only a grandmother could. Needless to say, those are just more great memories I have thanks to Disney:thumbsup:

villavic
11-08-2009, 10:00 AM
Into this vault was lowered the frozen body of Walt Disney and all the equipment necessary to keep his body safe until such time as they can cure cancer and bring him back to life.

...It is thought that the attack turtles and flamingos are responsible for the disappearance of a family of 5 from Iowa last year. ....

Very funny!
This one of those place I never got the time to visit, and now it's too late :(