PDA

View Full Version : Idea: Internet Lounges @ Resorts

GrumpyFan
07-15-2009, 03:44 PM
I had an idea that I thought would work well for WDW. I've heard many complaints about not having free wireless or Internet access in the rooms. What if, the resorts each created an Internet lounge serving coffee (not nescafe, please), drinks, smoothies, snacks, etc and offered free wireless access for guests who purchased something? Would it work? Would you use it?

JPL
07-15-2009, 04:18 PM
I like the idea but doubt Disney would give up the in room $9.95 per day fee to accomadate them. There would be no way to make sure people are actually purchasing anything in order to use the Free Internet service.

GrumpyFan
07-15-2009, 05:38 PM
No-no, I don't care if they keep the in-room charge for access, that's fine. But, for you to use the wireless, you would need a token, and it would only be good for a set amount of time, like 2 hours or so.

Polynesian Dweller
07-15-2009, 08:59 PM
For anything like this to work for the business, there has to be a significant business gain (increased revenu). Usually free internet is offered as a competitive advantage (i/e my hotel/coffece house/restaurant/etc has it and the others don't so come to my place). Or the business does it because all the competitors in the area do it so you can't be left out.

Disney isn't really competing with anyone on that level so its hard to see what the business advantage would be over for them over the current pay in the rooms. Also as JPL points out, its very hard to prove that someone has bought anything when they hook in. You could be in a chair just outside using it and they couldn't tell.

GrumpyFan
07-15-2009, 11:56 PM
Disney isn't really competing with anyone on that level so its hard to see what the business advantage would be over for them over the current pay in the rooms. Also as JPL points out, its very hard to prove that someone has bought anything when they hook in. You could be in a chair just outside using it and they couldn't tell.

The business advantage would be that it gives their customers something they've asked for, a coffee bar and wireless internet access. Having a "token" or temporary password, would solve the issue of everyone being able to access it. The password could be issued on the receipt.