PDA

View Full Version : Question About the Optometrist

mjaclyn
07-15-2009, 03:59 PM
I just visited the Optometrist today for an eye exam and learned that I have an astigmatism. The doctor wanted to put drops into my eyes so that he could check my retinas but I told him I wanted to wait because I'm currently breastfeeding my son and he told me that the drops are excreted into breastmilk. I called both my son's pediatrician and my obstetrician to ask their opinions on if or how long I needed to wait to breastfeed my son after receiving the eye drops. The pediatrician said I didn't need to wait at all because children as young as my son are given eye drops to dilate their eyes. My obstetrician on the other hand said to wait 48 hours to breastfeed again. Who should I listen to? Does anyone else know anything about the drops they use? The optometrist said he could use either Phenylephrine or something that starts with a "T" - I can't remember the name of it. I'm not sure what to do. Any help is appreciated!

Disney Doll
07-15-2009, 05:55 PM
My rule was always- when in doubt, skip it for now. I was very cautious about taking anything when I was breastfeeding. Just to be safe.

LibertyTreeGal
07-17-2009, 08:39 PM
Yeah, just wait. Astigmatism is no big deal, and usually doesn't mean much of anything that can't wait a year or six months to figure out. Mostly it just means that wearing contact lenses HURTS lol

PAYROLL PRINCESS
07-17-2009, 08:57 PM
I have that and was told that all it means is that my pupils are oval rather than round. If you feel you need to do it, I'd take the pediatrician's opinion as he's the one who specializes in kid related stuff.

crazypoohbear
07-17-2009, 11:09 PM
As long as your health is not in jeopardy in any way then I would advise you to put it off.
Astigmatism isn't anything that is life threatening o something that will cause you to go bline overnight.
You are clearly worried about your baby ( as you should be, most good mom's put their child first)
Even if you decided to listen to your Ped. you would still have worries or guilt, right?
SO, put it off until you have stopped breatfeeding.
If you are really worried about your eyes ask the eye doctor what the harm is in waiting/

gueli
07-19-2009, 07:46 AM
Yeah, just wait. Astigmatism is no big deal, and usually doesn't mean much of anything that can't wait a year or six months to figure out. Mostly it just means that wearing contact lenses HURTS lol

As I understand it, she is right about astigmatism.
I never did contacts, wore glasses for years, but now I have had the eye surgery and it is the bomb. No glasses ...nothing.

Unless something Major is going on, I would wait. Your Peditricain is probably right, your Obs is being cautious. If you need something done with your eyes than do it, if not 6 mo's will be gone before you know it...
:mickey:

MNNHFLTX
07-26-2009, 05:46 PM
There is a device used by some optometrists called an HRT and it can take pictures of your optic nerve and retina (especially in the case of astigmastism) without dilating your pupils. I'm assuming that your doctor does not do this procedure since he didn't offer it to you, but it might be worth asking about. I don't tolerate the dilating drops very well (they leave my vision "off" for days) so have been having the HRT used for several years now during my eye exams. :)