PDA

View Full Version : Grand Floridian Tea

Figment78
07-15-2009, 01:16 PM
What can you guys tell me about the Grand Floridian Tea? Not the princess tea or the wonderland tea party, just the regular tea room.

Have you been? Did you like it? What did you eat/drink?

Were there any guys there? (Would DH feel completely out of place?) Were there children there (like a 5 year old) or do they mostly go to the princess or wonderland ones?

Do you have to get an "entree" tea or can you just get an appetizer and a cup of tea?

TIA!

LibertyTreeGal
07-15-2009, 01:37 PM
My very macho husband LOVED it, and had the Prince Edward, which was tea (earl grey for him), a wonderful port, cheeses and pates and pastries. He actually makes sure that I make reservations when we go now.

I had the grand tea, which was tea, sparkling wine, tea sandwiches (yum, one was shrimp so they gave me another pear with gorgonzola instead since I am allergic), scones with jam. pastries, it was :cloud9:

It is my favorite Disney thing of all, even better than Narcoosees (because the kids weren't with us :thumbsup:

wildernesslady
07-15-2009, 08:16 PM
We did it for the first time on our last trip. It was great. We can't wait to go again in Sep. It was a special treat.

TheRustyScupper
07-16-2009, 11:16 AM
1) The TEA is a relaxing thing to do in a rushed vacation.
2) We do it 1-2 times per year (we do other hotels, like Peabody, Ritz).
3) For Disney, it is well done.
4) Although the tea is tasty, it is not the best quality.
5) GF Tea only serves Broken Orange Pekoe tea and Fannings tea.
6) But it is definitely more than acceptable.
7) You will enjoy your Afternoon Tea.

Tea Grades: A Short Primer -

These black tea grades are somewhat subjective and can vary from region to region. A couple of things to note: Pekoe is pronounced peck-oh, and there is no orange flavouring in any of these teas. Pekoe is not a flavor, but a grade (don't try to figure it out, just believe it to be true). For the most part, the more initials, the better the tea quality.

Fine Tippy Golden Flowery Orange Pekoe (FTGFOP)
. . . extremely high quality TGFOP.

Tippy Golden Flowery Orange Pekoe (TGFOP)
. . . similar to GFOP
. . . with an even higher proportion of golden tips

Golden Flowery Orange Pekoe (GFOP)
. . . a higher quality tea
. . . includes the golden tips of the young buds leaves.

Flowery Orange Pekoe (FOP)
. . . similar to OP
. . . used for teas
. . . from the rest of India or other regions.

Orange Pekoe (OP)
. . . A good quality tea
. . . consisting of large leaf pieces
. . . used for teas from Sri Lanka or south India

Broken Orange Pekoe (BOP) Tea
. . . many small or broken pieces of leaves
. . . frequently used in restaurants for pot-brewing

Fannings / Dust
. . . tiny bits and pieces
. . . usually leftovers from processing
. . . commonly found in tea bags

maxrebo77
07-16-2009, 06:48 PM
I went there 2 years ago and really enjoyed it. I had the Prince Edward with the Irish breakfast. If you don't like the tea, they are happy to let you try another.Both my choices were great though. Enough food for a meal, and you can order alacarte also. Dads and kids around me seemed to enjoy themselves.
Nice setting too.

Marceline
07-16-2009, 07:29 PM
We tried it for the first time this past Dec. and are booked to do it again twice this Sep. It is a wonderfully relaxing and peaceful setting. I am a hot tea lover so it was a slice of heaven for me.:cloud9:

My DD6 adored the hot chocolate with fresh cream and pastries. Having a real tea party with fancy tea cups was a dream come true for her.

My DH also loved it. He ordered a beer and helped me imbibe the pot of Darjeeling and Sally Lunn bread and just totally enjoyed the serene environment.

It's not about entrees or appetizers, it's about tea nibblies. Little sandwiches, scones, or cheese. The menu is available here http://www.intercot.com/infocentral/dining/gftea.asp

Figment78
07-16-2009, 09:11 PM
mmmmm.... sounds yummy!

Do you need to make an ADR for the afternoon tea or can you just drop in?

Marceline
07-16-2009, 11:21 PM
It wasn't crowded in the least when we went, there were plenty of tables. However, I did make an ADR and have made ADRs for our next visits....just to make sure. Also I think of it as a courtesy to the staff, so they have an estimate on how many guests to expect. :mickey:

ElenitaB
07-17-2009, 07:50 PM
Do you need to make an ADR for the afternoon tea or can you just drop in?
As with all things at WDW, if you're set on going, make an ADR. We've been to the GF tea when it has been crowded and when there have been tables available. You never know when there will be a group visiting or a shower, etc. Best to have a space reserved than to get turned away.

wdwvacationeer
07-18-2009, 05:57 PM
We love the afternoon tea- we go every year. I always make a reservation and we kind of make an afternoon of it. It is a really relaxing way to spend the afternoon during your vacation. After we have tea, we sit in the lobby and listen to the piano player and people watch. Last year there was a beautiful wedding party that we watched. After we are totally relaxed, we go upstairs and browse through the shops. The monorail picks you up there and then back to the Magic Kingdom!

Giselle
07-18-2009, 07:11 PM
This sounds fun. I may have ti try it next trip.

StitchFan#1
07-18-2009, 07:17 PM
My Grandmas friend works there weird hu? Ive never done it

wonderalice23
07-19-2009, 11:39 AM
My fiancee has gone with me and he loves it! I have been a total of 3 times and we also booked it for our honeymoon NEXT MONTH! :cloud9: It's a great experience - I had the Jasmine tea last time and it was wonderful!

artyboy
07-19-2009, 04:02 PM
Absolutely love the afternoon tea!

It's very relaxing and refined, but not stuffy! I have photos somewhere of us with the tea cozies on our heads...our server took the picture and just laughed with us!

joanna71985
07-19-2009, 04:17 PM
I love the Tea at the GF! I've only been there once, but really enjoyed it. I can't wait to eat there again.

Granny Jill A
07-21-2009, 03:11 PM
We had the Buckingham Palace with Gardenview Blend Tea. It was wonderful. We mistakenly thought we would not be full with "just tea", but we were stuffed.

The strawberries and cream are to die for, and my grandkids gave it a big thumbs up.

The location is delightful and the service was first rate.

Disney_Barbie
10-14-2009, 03:56 PM
Does anyone ever dress up? I mean, I'm sure most people are in theme-park attire, but I'd love for the girls in my family to do this & I'm sure my 5-year old neice would love to wear a "tea party" kind of dress. Would she/we be out of place if we were dressed more on the fancy side?

junedis
10-17-2009, 05:26 PM
I had the grand tea and thoroughly enjoyed it. You will be very full afterwards. I would recommrnd the Eros Tea if you like orange flavorings. It actually tasted like a dreamsicle. Overall, it was a wonderful afternoon. I attend afternoon tea frequently and would definately return. As for male attendance, there were about 6 men enjoying the afternoon when I was there. Have a wonderful time!:mickey: