PDA

View Full Version : When would you go??

jfan
07-15-2009, 12:16 PM
Would you go the week of Thanksgiving (with free dining - thanks to a PIN code) or middle of May (without free dining)? I'm worried about crowds around Thanksgiving? Is it really that bad?

Gregandmel
07-15-2009, 12:25 PM
Hmmm....I would think the week of Thanksgiving is going to be busy even WITHOUT the free dining, the free dining might increase it a bit more anyways. Personally, lower crowds are more important to me than the savings (although it would be a bonus to get BOTH) so I would opt for mid-May in hopes of lower crowds. It really depends on what you are looking for. There will be a trade-off no matter which one you choose. Thanksgiving will be cheaper with cooler weather but probably more crowded due to the fact a lot of people/schools will have that week off. May will be warmer, more expensive if you are paying for your meals, but the crowds may be less since schools aren't out yet. If you have a plan though - regardless of when you go will be great! Good luck to you!!! Always fun planning a Disney vacation :number1:

Gooftroop5
07-15-2009, 12:46 PM
We went last year & arrived the Friday after Thanksgiving. From what people were saying it was quite crowded all week. Unless you want to see the Christmas decorations & MVMCP then I would wait until May.

We went once the first week of May it was really nice (even though they were having a warm spell 90+ days) we walked right on to a lot of the rides.

The problem we ran into that was the most annoying wasn't the crowds but our dinner reservations at EPCOT after Thanksgiving. Saturday we ended up with an hour wait after our dinner reservation to be seated at the Coral Reef because of the candlelight processional packages. It wasn't the only time our dinner reservations at EPCOT were way past our dinner reservation. The following week we waited 40 minutes for dinner just dh & I at England. We were told we were lucky they had a 2 hour wait earlier. If you do & are down there after Thanksgiving watch what you book in EPCOT go for late reservations. Candelight processional get priority seating even though we booked our dinners before we could even book candelight processional packages. The rest of our meals we may have waited 15 minutes for our party of 14 to be seated at the rest of the parks & resorts.

Disney Doll
07-15-2009, 12:58 PM
Just my 2 cents because I don't have any experience with either time of year, but I would avoid all holidays like the plague. Who knows a discount may come out for next May and the price thing may not be much of a factor. However, I'd rather spend a little more and enjoy lighter crowds because when crowds are tight the whole trip just feels more stressful. Plus, you could catch the Flower & Garden fest in May which I have always wanted to see. Good luck with your decision!

Strmchsr
07-15-2009, 01:08 PM
:welcome: to Intercot!!!

Yes, crowds are bad around Thanksgiving, but crowds are getting bigger year round. However, holidays are always even more crowded.

Just keep in mind, though, that WDW is very good at dealing with crowds. They know when the place will be crowded and (usually) are prepared and staffed accordingly. No matter how busy it is if you have a plan, use fastpass, and don't go with the expectation that you'll see "everything" then you'll be fine. One other thing to consider is that MVMCP does not run the week of Thanksgiving and the other Christmas stuff does not start until after Thanksgiving.

cer
07-15-2009, 01:15 PM
I'd go Mid-May! It is a great time of year to go.

Welcome! :thumbsup:

MarkC
07-15-2009, 01:37 PM
Welcome to the board- you get great advice here for free. I'm not sure whether you've been to Disneyworld before. Since you're probably not a seasoned veteran like so many people on here, I would definitely opt for May. I have people asking me all the time for Disney advice. My number one tip is that "when" to go is the most important decision you can make. It may cost you more, but you will probably enjoy your vacation x1000 more. It will be much more relaxing and you'll be able to see and do everything without standing in long lines. I vote for May. Have a great time. Mark

swampfox28
07-15-2009, 01:41 PM
I'd vote November, but that's more of a good weather thing.

I've never done WDW at Thanksgiving, so it could be bad, but May can be crowded too, right?

We've got a trip planned for the week before Thanksgiving (the 14-22nd) and will be returning on the Sunday morning the week of/before Thanksgiving. I'm hoping we'll beat most of the crowds, but I don't know.

AdventurerKim
07-15-2009, 02:03 PM
We always go the week of Thanksgiving, and it does get more crowded the closer you get to Thanksgiving Day. If you can work the fast passes to your advantage and ride the rides you really want before the day before Thanksgiving Day, it's not bad. We love the Osborne Lights at DHS and never miss them. The weather is better (cooler) in Nov. than mid-May.

Imagineer1981
07-15-2009, 02:47 PM
I have seen Mid-May be pretty crowded too, but no where near what Thanksgiving will be. Take advantage of free dining and fast pass and it could be a cool trip. The holidays at the parks are always fun and a different experience then normal operating days

wdwnutz
07-15-2009, 04:03 PM
We are booked for 12/11 - 12/17 this year with free dining, can't wait! After reading all the good advice here along with our travel agent we decided on this week. The first week of Dec. we were told was Pop Warner. We can't stand the crowds and hot weather, so we usually go down in the fall and early winter. Although last year we went the last week of April into the first week of May and it was hot and crowded. (high school cheerleading / drill teams)

Strmchsr
07-15-2009, 04:31 PM
We love the Osborne Lights at DHS and never miss them. The weather is better (cooler) in Nov. than mid-May.

As of 2008 (and also true for this year) the Osborne Lights don't start until after Thanksgiving.

TheVBs
07-15-2009, 04:46 PM
I've never been over Thanksgiving. It could be a fun, unique experience even with the crowds. But we've been twice in May, the first week both times. May is a great time to go! Good weather, low crowds, Flower and Garden Festival at Epcot. Lots of fun! I'm sure you'll have a great time no matter when you go.

And, :welcome:

PetefromRI
07-15-2009, 07:34 PM
We're big May fans but we love the hot weather.We went in 2001 Thanksgiving week and it was in the mid 80's and not that crowded until ThankGiving Day.I'd go in May,lower crowds and warmer weather.

Sneaky Pete
07-15-2009, 09:17 PM
thought the crowds weren't bad at all. I'm going in May next Spring and hoping to beat some of the students and the heat.

Darin M
07-16-2009, 12:34 AM
I usually go at the end of August, and somehow I always manage to get great weather and the parks never seem busy. Also, try to plan it on a Pirates and Princess Party night if possible.

Strmchsr
07-16-2009, 07:53 AM
Also, try to plan it on a Pirates and Princess Party night if possible.

I don't think those are happening any more.

johnO
07-16-2009, 08:30 PM
Free dining could save you lots of dollars

Disney fans..
07-16-2009, 09:36 PM
I would go the week of Thanksgiving.. thats when we always go and we love it!!