PDA

View Full Version : Space Mountain

daisyhead
07-14-2009, 01:28 PM
How old was your child (or you) the first time you rode Space Mountain? I'm thinking this year might be the first time my DD rides! We didn't try it last time (age 5), but think she'd love it this coming trip.

I haven't been on it in years... are the hills major ones?

JPL
07-14-2009, 01:59 PM
I really think that depends on your DD. Has she riden any other coasters? I would start with Goofy's Barnstormer and then BTMRR before taking on SM. I know my cousin's son is 4 1/2 years old and he went on Everest with me.

daisyhead
07-14-2009, 02:20 PM
Thanks, she loved Goofy's Barnstormer last time, so we'll try the BTMRR first!

KAJUNKING
07-14-2009, 03:08 PM
i think my daughter was 6 when she first rode sm and now that she is 9 she will ride anything

DisneyFanaticDargon
07-15-2009, 06:59 AM
Space Mountain is incredibly tame as far as coasters go. The darkness will probably get to your child more than the ride itself. I think it's a great first coaster if they're tall enough.

Gregandmel
07-15-2009, 09:03 AM
It truly depends on the child and their tolerance for this sort of stuff. Our son was 6 1/2 when he rode it (was just barely 48" tall which was the requirement) and he got the FRONT seat! He was quiet during the ride, but loved it. Both of our boys (now ages 9 & 18) love anything fast so we have no concerns over any ride they do.

However, our friends have a son who is 9 who just last year was brave enough to do Goofy's Barnstormer, and has yet to do Haunted Mansion. Sooooo.... it really boils down to what your daughter likes to do. And if she has an idea of what the ride is like, she probably won't be quite so scared when it's in the dark and you don't know where you are going. But it's a very smooth ride. Good luck!!! :mickey:

PharmD
07-16-2009, 07:46 AM
I think our youngest son was 6 when he rode the first time. The height requirement is 44" so it depends on your childs growth rate ;). On the other side of the coin my oldest son would not even approach coaster type rides until he was 14 :confused:. Go figure. But like someone said earlier its the tamest of coasters at Disney. They use fans to make you think you are going faster than you really are. It's top speed is 32mph.