PDA

View Full Version : Pushy Salespeople- Vent

DVC2004
07-14-2009, 09:04 AM
I'm in sales myself but wow, can I say what a total turnoff it is to encounter such pushiness!
Recently I purchased a membership. Immediately the sales person tried to upsell me to this premium package. I listened with an open mind, but ultimately felt it was not for my needs. I explained to the sales lady and that was that. Fine.

Last night I get a call from another lady, I think it was her manager. I have never met or spoken with this person before. She went on and on about remember what I told you when we last talked (we never talked!) and what a great deal because she thought of me immediately (never met me) and I had to do it today. This is a total turnoff and I think now I am going to cancel my membership altogether. I realize they have to ask, but it was just so insincere and over the top pushy. She did not want to get off the phone and was putting me down to come in to see her today. Anyway I think I am done with that place as I can see this being a constant issue.

Jeniflower
07-14-2009, 11:37 AM
that is so true. If the service had been really good and they had just mentioned it - no pressure, you probably would have considered it. but go the other way and it loses you custom. my personal favourite is when they tell you how to pronounce your own name and even when you correct them they continue to to say it their way. You want my custom but you can't even get my name right HMMMM i think not bye bye now

GrumpyFan
07-14-2009, 12:55 PM
Understand! And agree! I would write a note to the manager just to let them know that their pushy sales tactics turned you off.

On a slightly related note, DW and I had dinner recently at one of our favorite restaurants, and had what we thought was a great waiter. However, my thoughts of his being a great waiter were ruined when at the end of our meal when he pulls up a chair and proceeds to talk with us at length about his life, as if he knew us. He went on and on for well over 10 minutes. In my opinion, he crossed the line of being friendly to being intrusive. DW didn't see it the same way though, and it kind of ruined our date night because I got irritated by the whole situation and accused her of encouraging the waiter's talkativeness. :rolleyes:

DVC2004
07-14-2009, 01:05 PM
Understand! And agree! I would write a note to the manager just to let them know that their pushy sales tactics turned you off.

On a slightly related note, DW and I had dinner recently at one of our favorite restaurants, and had what we thought was a great waiter. However, my thoughts of his being a great waiter were ruined when at the end of our meal when he pulls up a chair and proceeds to talk with us at length about his life, as if he knew us. He went on and on for well over 10 minutes. In my opinion, he crossed the line of being friendly to being intrusive. DW didn't see it the same way though, and it kind of ruined our date night because I got irritated by the whole situation and accused her of encouraging the waiter's talkativeness. :rolleyes:

Your story reminds me of a similar service issue had a waitress once at the local Olive Garden- we were out with our inlaws at the time. She proceeded to comment on what a nice family we all were and how she wished she could be with her family but had to work multiple jobs, problems in her life, etc. Then each time she came to our table she shared a sad story, hung around. I felt bad for her but it was a real bummer for us. We didn't know what say!

DisneyOtaku
07-14-2009, 02:36 PM
I hate that as well. My most recent example is when I went into a popular clothing store and asked if I wanted their company credit card. I said no, thanks anyway--the person was (at first) really nice about it, and I know places like that have to ask.

She asked me about it five more times as she checked me out, then the manager got in on it. I almost told them that they had really crossed the line and I would not becoming back to their store for quite a while. I just stormed out of there (and another person asked me AGAIN as I was leaving!) Really, I've never had THAT many people ask me so many times!

GrumpyFan
07-14-2009, 03:00 PM
She asked me about it five more times as she checked me out, then the manager got in on it. I almost told them that they had really crossed the line and I would not becoming back to their store for quite a while. I just stormed out of there (and another person asked me AGAIN as I was leaving!) Really, I've never had THAT many people ask me so many times!

I'm guessing Kohl's, Sears or JcPenney. That's out-right ridiculous, I would've just left the clothes on the counter, told them NO THANK YOU, and I DON'T WANT YOUR CLOTHES EITHER and walked out!

Ed
07-14-2009, 05:46 PM
A few years ago, DW and I were looking for a car for her. We were still in the "thinking about it" stage and just wanted to look over various vehicles on a dealer's lot. A salesman approached shortly after we arrived, and we told him we were just looking right now, but would let him know if we needed help. Not good enough for him. He shadowed us like a vulture, and kept throwing out suggestions that we didn't want. DW finally told him that he had just lost the dealership a potential customer, and we left.

A few miles up the road, we stopped at another dealership. Same thing; a saleswoman approached. We told her we had just had a negative experience, and would simply like to look around by ourselves. She said "no problem", gave us her business card, and told us she'd be inside if we had any questions. We browsed the lot for almost two hours, completely and totally unaccosted. And we appreciated it enough that we went inside, found the saleswoman, and bought a rather expensive car from her right then and there.

If more sales people would just LISTEN to potential customers, they might just find themselves with fatter commission checks!

pink
07-14-2009, 07:54 PM
A few years ago, DW and I were looking for a car for her. We were still in the "thinking about it" stage and just wanted to look over various vehicles on a dealer's lot. A salesman approached shortly after we arrived, and we told him we were just looking right now, but would let him know if we needed help. Not good enough for him. He shadowed us like a vulture, and kept throwing out suggestions that we didn't want. DW finally told him that he had just lost the dealership a potential customer, and we left.

A few miles up the road, we stopped at another dealership. Same thing; a saleswoman approached. We told her we had just had a negative experience, and would simply like to look around by ourselves. She said "no problem", gave us her business card, and told us she'd be inside if we had any questions. We browsed the lot for almost two hours, completely and totally unaccosted. And we appreciated it enough that we went inside, found the saleswoman, and bought a rather expensive car from her right then and there.

If more sales people would just LISTEN to potential customers, they might just find themselves with fatter commission checks!

I know where you're coming from but I work at a car dealership and in their defense, some managers will get on their case for not "stalking" the customers. Personally, I think it's annoying but it's not always the salespersons choice. :mickey:

brownie
07-14-2009, 08:33 PM
We went into a home improvement store to look at blinds. I had measurements of the windows and was asking about how wide the blinds would actually be (is 72" really 72" or is it actually a little bit less.) The employee launched into the whole spiel about how 9 out of 10 customers who measure themselves end up getting the wrong size blinds and how good a deal it was to have them come out and measure and then install the blinds. She said she didn't know about the blinds but we wouldn't be responsible if they did the measuring.

I'm not a carpenter, but I've done a lot of work around the house and have had help from a buddy who is a builder and taught me a lot. I think I know how to measure something. The only thing this employee ended up selling me on was the fact that I needed to go somewhere else to get blinds.

Carolanne
07-14-2009, 10:57 PM
I hate that as well. My most recent example is when I went into a popular clothing store and asked if I wanted their company credit card. I said no, thanks anyway--the person was (at first) really nice about it, and I know places like that have to ask.

A little thing I've resorted to because in the past the person asking wouldn't take no for an answer: when I get asked at any store about applying for their credit card & I'm not interested in applying, I tell a small fib & say that I already have one. Works very well for me.

JPL
07-14-2009, 11:34 PM
One time I was in an electronics preparing to purchase a new digital camera. I picked out the model I wanted after looking around a while. So this saleman comes running up to me and first tries to talk me out of the model I wanted and of course sell me the most expensive model in the store. I said no I want this one and he got it out for me he then said I need to bring it to the register for you. I said no thanks I can carry it up myself. He gave me the camera when I got to the register the girl was ringing me up and he comes running over to me and tries to sell me the extended warranty and he forgot to tell me when he was making the sale the girl proceeded to enter what I am guessing was his sales code in the transaction on the computer so this putz can get his commission. I let her continue and when she was finished and asked how I would be paying I simply said well thanks to your buddy over there I won't be paying I changed my mind and walked out. The look on her face was priceless she just stood there mouth open. I was waiting for my friend who was checking out he bought some DVDs and as I was leaving a manager came running after me asking me why I was leaving and I explained it to him and he said oh no come back I will help you with the purchase. I said nope this store had it's chance and left. I went home and purchased the same camera online for less money and much less hassle:thumbsup:

T-Belle
07-15-2009, 08:33 AM

This is why I don't visit a certain womens intimate clothing store. The name is a "secret"! Pushy,pushy,pushy!!!!!

Tink2002
07-15-2009, 09:29 AM
I think Pink has brought up a good point though - when somebody is trying to pitch something to you, it may not ALWAYS be their choice to do it. Sure, sometimes people just go over the top, but other times there is policy that they may not even agree with but have to follow to keep their job. My boyfriend worked in an electronics store and similar to a recent poster's story, he was required to bring purchases up to the register to give a sales code and attempt to sell add-ons and warranty deals. (The store he worked at didn't pay commission, either.) I remember him telling me about how he skipped the step a few times because it seemed awkward, but then in his "review" a manager got on his case about it.

DisneyOtaku
07-15-2009, 09:47 AM
I'm guessing Kohl's, Sears or JcPenney. That's out-right ridiculous, I would've just left the clothes on the counter, told them NO THANK YOU, and I DON'T WANT YOUR CLOTHES EITHER and walked out!

Actually no...it was New York & Co. Which was weird, because every time before that and every time after, I have never had that problem. But I seriously did think about leaving without the clothes.

DVC2004
07-15-2009, 10:11 AM
Actually no...it was New York & Co. Which was weird, because every time before that and every time after, I have never had that problem. But I seriously did think about leaving without the clothes.

Probably they were doing some sales contest for the day or the week- I bet.

LauraF
07-15-2009, 12:28 PM
I try to understand that these sales folk are working on mostly commission, or are otherwise pressured by their bosses to make sales, but still! If they called me at home I'd have dropped them like the OP did too!

My story - I was shopping at a certain home appliance store and was looking for a washer. I was being followed by a salesperson. I finally asked him a question about a model and he tried to steer me to oneI didn't want. I knew about what I wanted, but he kept trying to send me to another type, even when I told him exactly what I needed. I finally told him to leave me alone and walked out of the store.

As I was leaving he yelled to me:

Salesguy: "Ma'am, sure I can't change your mind? We have no interest right now!"

Me: "What a coincidence. So do I."
Then I walked out. (It was childish, but I was PO'd at not being listened to.)

I much prefer folks like the guy at Saturn who sold me my car and let me ask a 1000 questions and didn't pressure me at all when I said I needed to think about things first. He got his sale.

MNNHFLTX
07-15-2009, 01:37 PM
I think Pink has brought up a good point though - when somebody is trying to pitch something to you, it may not ALWAYS be their choice to do it. Sure, sometimes people just go over the top, but other times there is policy that they may not even agree with but have to follow to keep their job. My boyfriend worked in an electronics store and similar to a recent poster's story, he was required to bring purchases up to the register to give a sales code and attempt to sell add-ons and warranty deals. (The store he worked at didn't pay commission, either.) I remember him telling me about how he skipped the step a few times because it seemed awkward, but then in his "review" a manager got on his case about it.Thanks for enlightening me. The next time I am being pressured by a salesperson, I will ask to talk to their manager and express my annoyance related to their sales tactics to them, instead of the salesperson.

Granny Jill A
07-15-2009, 02:54 PM
Your story reminds me of a similar service issue had a waitress once at the local Olive Garden- we were out with our inlaws at the time. She proceeded to comment on what a nice family we all were and how she wished she could be with her family but had to work multiple jobs, problems in her life, etc. Then each time she came to our table she shared a sad story, hung around. I felt bad for her but it was a real bummer for us. We didn't know what say!

I know what you mean. We've heard the life story of many a server, and it makes me so uncomfortable. I feel obligated to bump up my tip, even though they may not intend for that to happen.

I used to get very upset by hard-sell tactics, but I guess I'm just thankful I don't have to do that for a living :)

gueli
07-15-2009, 03:14 PM
I know where you're coming from but I work at a car dealership and in their defense, some managers will get on their case for not "stalking" the customers. Personally, I think it's annoying but it's not always the salespersons choice. :mickey:

Yes but this is why I don't like some dealerships. Recently we purchased 2 used cars. One dealership (on LI) was simply the most laid back , non bs, car place I had ever been to. Because of this owners approach ( you deal with 1 guy, who has been given the leeway to make the deal, sell the 'extra coverage', and would have handled the finances if we needed) I would not hesitate if we were looking again to go back. Odds are they made a customer for a very long time.
dealership #2 (where the wife found and wanted a VW Bug) was your typical dealership- 1st is the bargening with the sales rep, followed by the manager intervention - (funny note her it got to a point where he said 'are you realy not going to buy the car over $150, and DW said so your not going to sell us the car over $150 ?) then to finance guy trying to sell you more coverage (we still were cash) and then we could purchase the car. I won't be going there, even for service.

Pushey sales people push me right out !

pink
07-15-2009, 06:58 PM
I know what you mean. We've heard the life story of many a server, and it makes me so uncomfortable. I feel obligated to bump up my tip, even though they may not intend for that to happen.

I used to get very upset by hard-sell tactics, but I guess I'm just thankful I don't have to do that for a living

I feel like they do this so you do feel like you should bump up their tip. We've also been through a situation like this before, it's so uncomftorable!

Yes but this is why I don't like some dealerships. Recently we purchased 2 used cars. One dealership (on LI) was simply the most laid back , non bs, car place I had ever been to. Because of this owners approach ( you deal with 1 guy, who has been given the leeway to make the deal, sell the 'extra coverage', and would have handled the finances if we needed) I would not hesitate if we were looking again to go back. Odds are they made a customer for a very long time.
dealership #2 (where the wife found and wanted a VW Bug) was your typical dealership- 1st is the bargening with the sales rep, followed by the manager intervention - (funny note her it got to a point where he said 'are you realy not going to buy the car over $150, and DW said so your not going to sell us the car over $150 ?) then to finance guy trying to sell you more coverage (we still were cash) and then we could purchase the car. I won't be going there, even for service.

Pushey sales people push me right out !

That is why some places get return buisness and others do not. I'm kind of curious to know who the bad LI dealership was, sounds alike like mine, not that I would be suprised. :mickey:

TheMartellFamily
07-15-2009, 09:03 PM
When I am asked about their credit card for their store I tell them. I am dept free, and I am going to stay that way. I do not have any cc and they are amazed. They just do not know what to think. If they do ask me again I have walked out and left my stuff or told them I already said no.

pink
07-17-2009, 10:57 AM
When I am asked about their credit card for their store I tell them. I am dept free, and I am going to stay that way. I do not have any cc and they are amazed. They just do not know what to think. If they do ask me again I have walked out and left my stuff or told them I already said no.

I bet that teaches them, good idea. I heard this awhile back that every time you open us store credit cards, it hits your credit score and hard each time. Thanks but no thanks. :mickey:

Ed
07-17-2009, 12:07 PM
When I am asked about their credit card for their store I tell them. I am dept free, and I am going to stay that way.

There's an easier way to shut them up.

Just tell them "I'd love to have your credit card, but my lawyer says I shouldn't do anything until this messy bankruptcy thing is cleared up."

:D

PAYROLL PRINCESS
07-17-2009, 09:16 PM
I work at a jewelry store part time and we have been instructed to greet the customer within 30 seconds of them coming in the door. If they say they are just looking, I'll tell them I'll leave them alone to browse but if they need me to just let me know and that I won't bother them by hovering over them. I'll keep making eye contact but will just wait for them to ask me to see something.