PDA

View Full Version : OKW - should I change to another resort??

Minniefan68
07-13-2009, 07:24 PM
We were excited to book 2 studios at OKW this November, now I'm reading on another site that the rooms are aren't so hot.

Some said the mattresses were like a flat rock, others said the carpets were dirty, tubs and floors modly in the bathroom.

Are there 2 double beds in the studios or 2 queens? I read two different things.

Should I try to change to BW or WL if we are going to be unhappy at OKW?

hubbyofadisneyholic
07-13-2009, 07:36 PM
We have only stayed in a studio at OKW once and did not notice any of the negatives you mentioned.

Our biggest complaint was after spending time in the 1 and 2 bedroom villas, the studio seemed teeny.

One thing you can count on is if you read enough you will find someone complaining about any resort.

faline
07-13-2009, 08:11 PM
We stayed in a King bed studio a couple of years ago. I thought the accommodations were quite nice. We did have a couple of negatives. 1. There is a window high in the wall in the bathroom. Very nice during the day. Not so nice in the middle of the night when you want darkness. We were sure to keep the bathroom door closed at night to prevent this light source from seeping through. 2. In addition to darkness, our biggest complaint was road noise. We live on a dead end street and are very sensitive to external noises. We were told at checkin that, lucky us, our room was very close to a bus stop. That it was. It was literally right across from a bus stop. Not only did the buses idle at the bus stop right outside our room, we were near the end of the bus route. Each bus would stop across from our room, accelerate away from the bus stop, make one more stop a short distance away, make a u-turn and travel outside our room once again in the opposite direction. That would have been enough to request an alternate location except that we were only there for a few nights (long weekend).

Had we had the same room in a quieter location, we would have been extremely content and the bathroom window would have been only a minor annoyance.

ThanxForNoticin
07-13-2009, 08:54 PM
There is absolutely no reason for you to change your reservations. OKW is a very nice resort. As mentioned above, if you read enough, there will be negative reports on just about anything. The studios at OKW are very spacious with 2 queen-sized beds, a microwave, mini-fridge, and extra room over a standard hotel room. We have stayed at OKW many times, and we never hesitate to recommend it and we certainly never hesitate to go back. We love the feel of the place and the rooms. Hope you have a great trip.

lockedoutlogic
07-13-2009, 09:00 PM
We have only stayed in a studio at OKW once and did not notice any of the negatives you mentioned.

Our biggest complaint was after spending time in the 1 and 2 bedroom villas, the studio seemed teeny.

One thing you can count on is if you read enough you will find someone complaining about any resort.

the studios are considerably larger than any other DVC....and much larger than any future DVCs...just an FYI

lockedoutlogic
07-13-2009, 09:10 PM
There is absolutely no reason for you to change your reservations. OKW is a very nice resort. As mentioned above, if you read enough, there will be negative reports on just about anything. The studios at OKW are very spacious with 2 queen-sized beds, a microwave, mini-fridge, and extra room over a standard hotel room. We have stayed at OKW many times, and we never hesitate to recommend it and we certainly never hesitate to go back. We love the feel of the place and the rooms. Hope you have a great trip.

OKW is a nice place....you can't beat the point chart....but there are some negatives you should be aware of...

The design is dumb....i.e. it is spread out in two directions in a straight or curved lines without a centralized facility area. That means you could be a considerable distance from the hospitality house. that may not bother you....but it is something to be aware of.

Second, Olivia's is great...and the pool area is nice....but it is generally lackluster when it comes to facilities.
Maybe if all DVC were built the same...but the ones that were attached to existing hotels benefited from much more in the way of food options and in some cases, entertainment than the stand alone OKW. The quickservice location has a very limited menu (especially for breakfast) and the lone bar facility has about 8 seats in it....nothing like AKL, WL, BWV, Contemp, Beach (saratoga is similar...but you do have the option of walking to downtown)

OKW features a decent boat ride to Downtown...but does not have a convenient "quick access" park option. If it were up to me...i would always rather have a park available NOT via bus (i'll be lenient on AKV)...and OKW doesn't provide that
( nor does Saratoga...but they have better DTD access)

i've stayed at OKW many times in the past...and will continue to do so....but there are drawbacks....and on the whole, it doesn't provide the pop that most other DVCs do...

garymacd
07-13-2009, 09:21 PM
We loved our two-bedroom suite! It was clean and well decorated. It had one King bed, two queen beds and a queen pull-out that my niece says was incredibly comfortable - yeah, I know, how can a pull out be comfortable? But she is only 23 and a lot lighter than me. Actually, I did try it, and there was no bar digging into my back.

It is a very nice resort and we had no trouble except the pool and hot tub closest to us was closed for repairs/refurb. But clean towels and maid service everyday. We weren't certain whether this was included or not, but it was. We did our own dishes, though.

Our only complaint was the limited quick service food selection, but with a full kitchen, it didn't really matter.

Zone Stop
07-14-2009, 12:07 AM
We stayed in a King bed studio a couple of years ago...

I just want to put it out there... those don't exist. And if you're sure that's what it was, then it doesn't exist any more.

Which is a crying shame, because studios with king beds would be amazing.

epceddie
07-14-2009, 01:29 AM
I too would love to be able to book a studio with a king bed.
My wife and I need the extra space, because we're right on top of each other in a queen bed.