PDA

View Full Version : Adult dining opinions please!

Figment78
07-13-2009, 02:21 PM
DH and I are looking for some dining ideas for two adults who although they love children, also prefer not to be elbow to elbow with them or hear their entire dinner conversation because of close dining quarters... Also, they appreciate when the servers pay special attention and offer excellent suggestions (as we've experienced at some of the signature places).

We've been to the following that we thought would work (and enjoyed them all):
Artist's Point
Yachtsman Steakhouse
Citricos
California Grill (best service experience & the view!)
Jiko's (****our favorite!****)
Le Cellier
Brown Derby

Does anyone have any recommendations that would suit? Are there any TS restaurants that aren't signature ones that you would recommend for a more low-key experience? (Like San Angel Inn, I guess) What is the atmosphere like at Les Chefs de France? (They aren't really interested in spending several hours at Bistro upstairs.)

Thanks everyone!

TheRustyScupper
07-13-2009, 02:46 PM
1) Bistro de Paris
. . . few kids
. . . great service
. . . no kid's menu
. . . higher priced
. . . not on DDP,so keeps the DDP types away
2) Shula's
. . . few kids
. . . great service
. . . not on DDP
3) Citricos
. . . few kids
. . . good service
. . . out-of-the-way, so it reduces kids

SBETigg
07-13-2009, 04:03 PM
You have a nice list of great signature dining. Some of my favorites. For California Grill, you could have them request the wine room. The view is of Bay Lake toward Epcot (you can see Illuminations fireworks in the distance) and not of the MK and Seven Seas lagoon, but the tradeoff is that no kids are allowed to be seated in the wine room. It's a quiet, adult atmosphere (and they can always go check out the views off the observation deck). For any adults who have been seated near kids in CG or think it is noisy-- try the wine room.

Chefs de France is hit or miss. Sometimes it's really good, sometimes not so much. We've had some wonderful adult meals there, and some with kids. It's very kid-friendly, especially now that they have Remy from Ratatouille making the rounds, so maybe not the best choice. World Showcase restaurants in general don't tend to be family favorites, though you do see kids. Avoid Biergarten, Akersush, and Teppan Edo, perhaps, but the rest are all safe bets. Especially Tokyo Dining.

Grand Floridian Cafe is a decent non-signature that doesn't tend to draw a lot of kids because families tend to favor the character buffet at 1900 Park Fare.

Menai2WDW
07-13-2009, 05:28 PM
. . . not on DDP,so keeps the DDP types away

What are DDP types? We will use the DDP for our October trip but I didn't realise that it made us undesirables!

Figment78
07-13-2009, 06:13 PM
What are DDP types? We will use the DDP for our October trip but I didn't realise that it made us undesirables!

You are not "undesireables" in my book! Whether you are paying out of pocket for the dining plan or getting "free" dining, doesn't matter to me. You have as much right to eat wherever you please as someone who isn't "on the dining plan." Some people gripe about how Disney has been pushing the dining plan lately because it has increased the number of people making ressies and eating at the restaurants, thus making it harder for walk-ins and effectively altering the menus (although this is probably also due to the economy, not just the DDP). But really, isn't that the outcome a business like Disney would want - people pre-paying their dining? Anyhow, just ignore the rudeness of that comment and enjoy your vacation!

Madame Leona
07-13-2009, 06:43 PM
Dh and I had a really nice dinner at Olivia's at OKw on our last trip. We had a late meal and pretty much had the place to ourselves. The food was excellent!

DisneyHoneymooners
07-14-2009, 09:24 AM
Have to say the "DDP types" seems like a very stupid comment.:confused:

nicster
07-14-2009, 09:36 AM
I got what was meant by the 'DDP types' (I am one), and the apology. Let's not get off topic.

The Maya Grill @ CSR was excellent, and they could follow it up with a stroll around the lake.

PlutoPlanet
07-14-2009, 12:21 PM
We eat at Chefs de France every year. It can be a bit loud. I'd prefer Jiko for dining just with DW. We've found the wines by the glass to be the best value at Chefs de France.

DVC2004
07-14-2009, 12:43 PM
I always love Jiko. Try Flying Fish on the Boardwalk- there will be kids of course but not lots.

Figment78
07-14-2009, 12:59 PM
I got what was meant by the 'DDP types' (I am one), and the apology. Let's not get off topic.

The Maya Grill @ CSR was excellent, and they could follow it up with a stroll around the lake.

What apology? I haven't seen an apology yet.... I think the comment was very rude and antagonistic and if I could figure out how to report a post, I would do it...

What sort of cuisine is Maya Grill? Mexican? How does it fare compared to San Angel?

nicster
07-14-2009, 01:46 PM
Maya Grill is what I would consider an upscale Mexican resturant. IMHO much superior to San Angel Inn at EPCOT.

see below:

Maya Grill MENU

NOTE: All menu items/prices are subject to change

NOTE: * Indicates buffet item and cost represents total cost of buffet.
Menu is subject to change.

Breakfast (Updated: 11/08)
Entree/Main Course

Adult Breakfast Buffet - Mixed Fruit Salad, whole fruits, fruit topping medley, cold cereals, oatmeal & grits, pastries, French toast, waffles with syrup, scrambled eggs, egg burritos, sausage links, bacon/ham, biscuits with gravy, home fries with onions and peppers, and hash browns. A selection of juices, milk, hot chocolate, coffee, and tea are included. - $16.95 *

Dinner (Updated: 11/08)
Appetizers/Starter

Caribbean Style Chicken Roll - Served with mango ketchup and Napa slaw. - $9.00
Crabmeat Chalupa - With Ixnipek salsa. - $9.00
Gulf Shrimp Cocktail - Served with traditional Cocktail sauce and a spicy Aioli. - $11.00
Pulled Pork Empanada - Served with Chipotle cream. - $9.00
Seafood Margarita - Shrimp, Lobster & Mussels marinated in lime & Herradura tequila. - $11.00
Seafood Skillet - Gulf Shrimp, Baby clams and mussels in zesty tomato and garlic sauce. - $11.00
Soups/Salads

Seasonal Greens Salad - Seasonal Greens Salad - $8.00
Soup of the Day - Soup of the Day - $7.00
Entree/Main Course

Beef Tenderloin Tips - Served with sauteed mushroom medley. - $29.00
Catch of the Day al Pastor - Catch of the Day al Pastor - $29.00
Char-Grilled Chicken Breast - Includes choice of potato & mixed veggies. - $22.00
Chilean Salmon Filet - Includes choice of potato & mixed veggies. - $29.00
Marinated Center Cut Pork Chop - Served pm a bed of herb rice pilaf and tropical fruit sauce. - $28.00
Pan Seared Duck Breast - With Duck Confit in Mole Sauce. - $30.00
Seafood Risotto - Sauteed shrimp, salmon, mussels and crawfish with a savory Italian style sauce - $34.00
Shoulder Beef Tender - Served in a Cabernet and Balsamic reduction, includes choice of potato & mixed veggies. - $30.00
St. Louis Style Ribs - Includes choice of potato & mixed veggies. - $23.00
Steak & Catch - Filet mignon and fresh catch of the day. Includes choice of potato & mixed veggies. - $31.00
Steak and Portobello Skewer - Includes choice of potato & Ratatouille veggies. - $30.00
Side Dish

Baked Potato - Baked potato - $5.00
Steak Fries - Steak Fries - $5.00
Sweet Fried Plantains - Sweet fried plantains - $5.00
Wild Mushroom Ragout - Wild mushroom ragout - $5.00
Drinks

Selection of Margaritas - Begin your dinner experience with one of our signature classic cocktails $8.95 and up. Choose from Classic Margarita, Frozen Margarita, or Margarita Rocas. - $8.95

Snack (Updated: 11/08)
Dessert

Chambord Chocolate Cake - Chambord Chocolate Cake - $6.99
Chocolate Concorde - Chocolate Concorde - $6.99
Creme Brulee - Creme Brulee - $6.99
Deep Fried Cheesecake - Deep Fried Cheesecake - $6.99
Spiced Churros - Spiced Churros - $6.99
Tres Leches - Tres Leches - $6.99

Maya Grill
Child's Menu

Breakfast (Updated: 11/08)
Entree/Main Course

Child Breakfast Buffet - Mixed Fruit Salad, whole fruits, fruit topping medley, cold cereals, oatmeal & grits, pastries, French toast, waffles with syrup, scrambled eggs, egg burritos, sausage links, bacon/ham, biscuits with gravy, home fries with onions and peppers, and hash browns. A selection of juices, milk, hot chocolate, coffee, and tea are included. - $10.95 *

Dinner</B>
Appetizers/Starter

Mozzarella Cheese Sticks - Served with marinara sauce. - $4.50
Nacho Chips - Served with salsa, cheese and sour cream. - $4.50
Entree/Main Course

Beef Tenderloin Tips - Served with French fries and corn. Includes a choice of soft drink, apple juice or milk and a scoop of ice cream or applesauce. - $8.95
Catch of the Day - Served with mashed potatoes and corn. Includes a choice of soft drink, apple juice or milk and a scoop of ice cream or applesauce. - $8.25
Fried Ravioli - Served with marinara sauce and french fries. Includes a choice of soft drink, apple juice or milk and a scoop of ice cream or applesauce. - $8.25
Grilled Chicken - Served with veggies and green salad. Includes a choice of soft drink, apple juice or milk and a scoop of ice cream or applesauce. - $8.95
Grilled Chicken Parmesan - Served with pasta. Includes a choice of soft drink, apple juice or milk and a scoop of ice cream or applesauce. - $8.25

Leighler
07-14-2009, 02:05 PM
I would just say I could eat Mexican every day and will not go back to San Angel. I saw you asked about that as an option and one of the things I didn't like about it was that you are elbow to elbow and maybe even closer than that!!

TheRustyScupper
07-14-2009, 03:18 PM

1) Not undesireables.
2) But, let's face it, kids make noise.
3 They are kids.
4) And they can diminish/ruin a romantic adults' dinner.
5) Thus, this was meant to address adult dinners.

NOTE: This was not derogatory. It is just factual. One would not go to Chef Mickey's and expect a quiet, subdued, relaxing, romantic dinner. (Unless you were Mr & Mrs Pluto.)

Phantod
07-15-2009, 11:52 PM
1) Not undesireables.
3 They are kids.

NOTE: This was not derogatory. It is just factual. One would not go to Chef Mickey's and expect a quiet, subdued, relaxing, romantic dinner. (Unless you were Mr & Mrs Pluto.)

Rusty, thanks ever so much, although the DW and I are in our 50's and are using DDP, just the two of us, you consider us kids. Thanks again. If I run into you, I'll try to make sure to make lots of noise and act kid-like.:eat:

Disnamic Duo
07-16-2009, 08:41 AM
1) Not undesireables.
3 They are kids.

Rusty, I did NOT read your original post as derogitory in any way. I thought you were making a point that was very pertinent to the OP's question. I didn't take it as you commenting on specific people as much as the general atmosphere in the restaurant. As a matter of fact it was helpful for me in trying to make a decision between Bistro & CdF. Thanks! Some people seem to be looking for a fight - they take offense WAAAAYY too easily.

Figment78
07-16-2009, 03:52 PM
I'm sorry, I have to step in.

I am the original poster and I WAS referring to getting some insight as to restaurants that maybe had more space between tables or which were not frequented too often by families with children or which had a more quiet or subdued atmosphere.

i did NOT say "What restaurants are free of people on the dining plan?" I didn't say it because I don't see what makes people on the dining plan something I would want to stay away from. I've been to disney with AND without the dining plan and did not act any different depending on whether I paid for my meal prior to the vacation (on the plan) or during (not on the plan).

Yes, you could say I am easily offended. Because I believe that people deserve to be treated with respect and kindness. And I will not stand by quietly when people pick on others.

Rusty very blatantly suggested that I would want to recommend Bistro de Paris because it has few kids AND is "free of DDP types." He did not - as he tried to defend himself later - say DDP = kids. Those of us who have used the dining plan at Disney have every right to be upset by Rusty's comment. Although I have to say I personally am choosing to ignore his judgement of me, because it is small-minded and well, I don't really care what he thinks of me.

disnamic duo - You are right - some people are looking for a fight. And it's not the ones who were DEfending themselves!

Disnamic Duo
07-17-2009, 09:09 AM
I'm sorry, I have to step in.

I am the original poster and I WAS referring to getting some insight as to restaurants that maybe had more space between tables or which were not frequented too often by families with children or which had a more quiet or subdued atmosphere.

i did NOT say "What restaurants are free of people on the dining plan?" I didn't say it because I don't see what makes people on the dining plan something I would want to stay away from. I've been to disney with AND without the dining plan and did not act any different depending on whether I paid for my meal prior to the vacation (on the plan) or during (not on the plan).

Yes, you could say I am easily offended. Because I believe that people deserve to be treated with respect and kindness. And I will not stand by quietly when people pick on others.

Rusty very blatantly suggested that I would want to recommend Bistro de Paris because it has few kids AND is "free of DDP types." He did not - as he tried to defend himself later - say DDP = kids. Those of us who have used the dining plan at Disney have every right to be upset by Rusty's comment. Although I have to say I personally am choosing to ignore his judgement of me, because it is small-minded and well, I don't really care what he thinks of me.

disnamic duo - You are right - some people are looking for a fight. And it's not the ones who were DEfending themselves!

I read Rusty's remark as a commentary on how (un)crowded one might expect Bistro to be, not a derogatory comment on DDP folks. I thought he was just trying to word it in a different way (maybe his style). I've done WDW with and w/o the DDP myself.

Rusty, you can correct me if I'm wrong. I'm just saying how I took it.

As for treating people with respect and kindness, I think there are some folks who've NOT treated Rusty that way in this thread.

Again, I think he answered your original query, "...or which were not frequented too often by families with children or which had a more quiet or subdued atmosphere." It's not that you'd want to avoid people who use the DDP, it's HOW MANY people use it (but not at Bistro...that particular segment of WDW diners are removed from the equation at Bistro).

Figment78
07-17-2009, 11:42 AM
Disnamic Duo - Just as you are entitled to interpret Rusty's response as you are, so are the people who felt offended.

One interpretation could clearly be that he did segregate "DDP types" and label them as a type that one would want keep away.

Whether that was his intention or not, that is how it came across.

You are correct that he answered my initial question of which restaurants might be more low-key, but he did so in part by explaining that the low-key atmosphere was a result of the absence of DDP types.

I'm sorry to keep harping on this issue, but I hear/read what people say very clearly and he was clearly labeling DDP types as something one would want to keep away. If that is not what he meant, he should have been more careful with the way he worded it. I think it's important that we all take care with our words because the absence of vocal inflection in written communication can easily lead to misinterpretation. This MAY be a good example of that. (I hope)

In the end, I ended up recommending adding Maya Grill to my list of recommendations. Thanks nicster! I did not rec Bistro because, as I said in the original post, they are not interested in spending several of their epcot hours dining there. They have chosen Le Cellier instead for Epcot.

nicster
07-17-2009, 11:54 AM
Disnamic Duo - In the end, I ended up recommending adding Maya Grill to my list of recommendations. Thanks nicster!
You're welcome! On the other 'subject'; I like to go by the thought that you have a choice:
Be a good example or a horrible warning... enough said.

mouseneer
07-18-2009, 04:34 AM
This is TOO funny !!!! Yikes.

Cinderelley
07-19-2009, 11:06 PM
Maybe those of us who have been around here longer are more used to Rusty, but I didn't take it as being rude. To me "DDP types" referred more to the masses, and you had requested quiet and subdued dining. He never said that DDP types were unwanted. In fact, maybe you should read the words that were said instead of putting your own interpretation into it.

" Bistro de Paris
. . . few kids
. . . great service
. . . no kid's menu
. . . higher priced
. . . not on DDP,so keeps the DDP types away""

Remember, communication is a two-way street, not just the sender's responsibility. You could have always asked what he meant by "DDP types".

On the original subject, I would highly recommend the Flying Fish. It was one of the most enjoyable meals of our last girls' only trip. The only child we saw was a baby about 8 months old eating next to us with her grandmother while her parents were out on their own "date". She was adorable and quiet.

I've also heard good things about Artist Point.

Genie1953
07-19-2009, 11:57 PM
Well guess I have to step in and say that I have used the Disney Dining Plan on our last trip. I did not take offense at the "DDP types" comment. Instead I took it to mean simply that the place would be less crowded.

WRWDisney
07-20-2009, 06:02 AM
I am going to choose to ignore the DDP Type side conversation and instead, correct one piece of miss-information from an earlier post. While I whole heartedly agree that the wine room @ Cali Grill is a wonderful change of pace, it is not a kid free zone. We ate there last month and had our very well behaved 10 & 13 year olds with us. Additionally, there was another family seated in there with there two boys.

So, while I would recommend it as a requested seating location, it does not guarantee "kid free":thumbsup:

Figment78
07-20-2009, 11:31 AM
Maybe those of us who have been around here longer are more used to Rusty, but I didn't take it as being rude. To me "DDP types" referred more to the masses, and you had requested quiet and subdued dining. He never said that DDP types were unwanted. In fact, maybe you should read the words that were said instead of putting your own interpretation into it.

" Bistro de Paris
. . . few kids
. . . great service
. . . no kid's menu
. . . higher priced
. . . not on DDP,so keeps the DDP types away""

Remember, communication is a two-way street, not just the sender's responsibility. You could have always asked what he meant by "DDP types".

Someone did ask. And Rusty backtracked to say that he meant DDP = kids. Which is not what he said initially.

I have "been around" for a while (5+ years) regardless of the # of posts you see under my name and I have often found his communication style to be open for misinterpretation as antagonistic and brash. Which was proven by the people here who were offended and asked him about it or responded about it.

All communication is subject to interpretation and thus, when communication is written, one must take extra care when choosing words and phrasing because there is no vocal inflection to help the reader along.

Reading the words literally, he specifically said, "keeps the DDP types away." Why on earth does anyone care about keeping people in the DDP away? Because those ARE the words that Rusty said. In my experience most of the WDW restaurants operate close to capacity anyway during peak meal times, whether they are full of people paying through the DDP or not, is irrelevant to how close the tables are, or how many children are often there.

Figment78
07-20-2009, 11:35 AM
Also - As much as I would like to continue the debate until all parties understand that you should always watch what you say...

I would like to request to the moderators to remove this post. It is getting off topic and I've had my original question answered sufficiently. I would prefer to avoid any more people getting offended. If others would like to make dining recommendations to me, please feel free to PM me with them. I have received very good suggestions and appreciate them very much.

Thanks!

Guinness
07-20-2009, 08:44 PM
Victoria and Albert's would also be a good choice. It looks like you tend toward higher-end places anyway, so this shouldn't be out of range. The food and service is outstanding. The atmosphere is, naturally, very adult, and children under ten are excluded. I think that they would easily accommodate adventurous and conservative eaters.

Hammer
07-20-2009, 09:16 PM
As the poster said her question has been answered and requested that the thread be closed, I shall close the topic.