PDA

View Full Version : What makes a ride "boring"?

Bass T-bone
07-13-2009, 11:40 AM
Maybe I'm just getting older and I don't understand. I have recently read some posts complaining about boring rides. The rides at DisneyWorld are so unique I don't see how any of the rides could be boring... I like the fact that there are so many different kinds of rides. Not every ride needs to be a roller coaster.

Just my :twocents:

DizneyRox
07-13-2009, 12:29 PM
Budget cuts...

That'll do it every time. The difference between what is built and what is envisioned is often a very different thing. Once the bean counters get involved things start slipping and when you are done, you often have a shell of what it could have been.

Bass T-bone
07-13-2009, 03:41 PM
Budget cuts...

That'll do it every time. The difference between what is built and what is envisioned is often a very different thing. Once the bean counters get involved things start slipping and when you are done, you often have a shell of what it could have been.

I have to admit this was not the answer I thought I would hear.

So...

What ride is boring to you because of budget cuts?

BluewaterBrad
07-13-2009, 04:07 PM
I agree.:mickey:

It'sWDW4me
07-13-2009, 04:23 PM
IMHO:

1. No scenery change, the ride just goes around and around - i.e. Dumbo, Magic Carpets, Astro Orbiter. Now I know these are great kiddie rides and that lots of people love them but for me - BORING!

2. Repetition - IASW & Tiki Room. The first minute or two are pretty neat but after that.... meh.... BORING!

Now let the flaming commence. :)

Bass T-bone
07-13-2009, 04:34 PM
Valid points...

and my 100th post!

It'sWDW4me--- and yours as well....

How cool is that?

DizneyRox
07-13-2009, 04:40 PM
Read up on the Space Pavillion. Originally it was supposed to be remarkable. Instead we get a glorified hub and spoke ride. Granted it's more than Dumbo, but really after a ride or two, ho hum...

Re-ridability is really lacking in many new attractions, which makes them "boring". Much of that (IMHO) comes from the lack of detail and the story telling that used to get done. How many times can you go on Winnie the Pooh vs Pirates of the Caribbean? or Jungle Cruise vs Stitc's Great Escape?

It'sWDW4me
07-13-2009, 04:50 PM
Re-ridability is really lacking in many new attractions, which makes them "boring". Much of that (IMHO) comes from the lack of detail and the story telling that used to get done.

I totally agree. Splash Mountain, without the storyline, is just another ho-hum log flume. It's keeping up with the story and the characters as you float on by that keeps me going on it again and again, and again, and....

Bass T-bone
07-13-2009, 04:55 PM
I totally agree. Splash Mountain, without the storyline, is just another ho-hum log flume. It's keeping up with the story and the characters as you float on by that keeps me going on it again and again, and again, and....

Which raises another interesting point (for me anyway)

Since practically nobody has seen "Song of the South" how does the log flume ride achieve continued success?

It'sWDW4me
07-13-2009, 05:03 PM
Which raises another interesting point (for me anyway)

Since practically nobody has seen "Song of the South" how does the log flume ride achieve continued success?

I don't know when (or even if) I saw "Song of the South" last. The story is as complete as it can be in the ride, though - Bre'r Rabbit is bored and decides to go on an adventure, runs into some bad characters who plan on making him their dinner, outwits said bad characters, escapes, figures out his "boring" life really isn't so bad, and lives happily ever after.

Now if Disney could just keep producing these self-contained theme rides, nothing would be boring at DW again (she says, naively!). :mickey:

pink
07-13-2009, 06:27 PM
Various things make it boring for me.

Peter Pan- I feel like they could have done so much more with this ride. It also needs a serious refurbishment.

It's A Small World- Repitive and too long.

Country Bears Jamboree- Outdated.

:mickey:

Ian
07-13-2009, 06:52 PM
For me, any ride that lacks re-rideability is a bore.

For example, Stitch's Great Escape, aside from being just awful to begin with, is dull once you've seen it once. The entire ride depends on you not knowing what's going to happen. Once that mystery is gone, the attraction itself is really stupid.

Laugh Floor is another one I find boring. The jokes are really corny ... bad corny, not Jungle Cruise corny ... and other than that nothing really happens. :sleepin:

Others ... Mission: Space suffers from a lack of re-rideability, Journey Into Imagination is boring simply because it's an inherently dull ride, Lights Motors Action is boring once you've seen it once ... there are probably a few more I'm missing, but those are the ones that come to mind right now.