PDA

View Full Version : Haunted Mansion experience ruined

Rosemickey68
07-11-2009, 11:01 AM
Okay, so HM has always been one of my favorite rides. I have to say the experience of it was ruined on July 3rd. When we were let out of the room..the part where you line up to get on the buggy...it was a mad house! They let out the other room before everyone in our room got on a buggy...everyone was pushing and shoving and it was a madhouse!!! I felt sorry for the people who had little kids with them as it is dark and I saw some people get trampled on. I had never seen such disorganization!!! I don't understand what happened!?!?! It really took away from the experience of this ride. I went to Disneyland multiple times as a kid and have been to DW several time now and never had this experience on the HM. Don't know if it was the CM's working that day or what happened!?!?!
I just hope it never happens again! It was horrible being cramped in like that and dangerous. Has this happened to anyone else?

JPL
07-11-2009, 11:06 AM
I have seen this on rare occasions when they had to stop the ride to allow a guest needing special assistance to board which backs up the loading process and the CMs working the Stretching Rooms which are set on a timed schedule are unaware this is happening and continue to allow people to enter the Stretching Rooms.

PetefromRI
07-11-2009, 11:09 AM
We noticed it getting worse the last couple of trips.Very rude teens pushing and shoving.Add to this it being so dark and you have an accident waiting to happen.

chaodj9
07-11-2009, 11:11 AM
I have seen this on rare occasions when they had to stop the ride to allow a guest needing special assistance to board which backs up the loading process and the CMs working the Stretching Rooms which are set on a timed schedule are unaware this is happening and continue to allow people to enter the Stretching Rooms.

exactly

LauraByTheSea
07-11-2009, 11:17 AM
I never understood pushing and shoving to get on any ride anyway... It's like they think they're giving away $100 bills to the first 10 ppl on - you're not going to miss anything, so slow down and be patient, ya know?

deedeebee
07-11-2009, 11:51 AM
The Magic Kingdom was a madhouse on July 3rd, at every turn there were rude, pushy people! We usually go in Dec or Sept, now I remember why! I won't go back in July, ever.:mad:

DizneyRox
07-11-2009, 12:07 PM
Welcome to the summer!

MK is a madhouse no matter what, and people have gotten increasingly rude and obnoxious over the years. I try to stay as far away from MK as possible.

brownie
07-11-2009, 12:19 PM
That's too bad. I always like to wait and let everyone else go first to avoid all the jostling and pushing.

kakn7294
07-11-2009, 12:42 PM
We try to stay back and let everyone else ahead of us too. I've been separated from my 9 yo DD and it's a terrifying experience for both parent and adult in that darkened, crowded room full of pushing, shoving and sometimes rude people. Besides, if you hang back a bit, you can hear some of the ghosts talking to you in the stretching room. Most people miss that.

DVC2004
07-11-2009, 12:43 PM
I've seen this happen on a few occassions.

Briansmom
07-11-2009, 01:07 PM
This happened to us when we went in the first half of May this year. When we went last year, it wasn't like that so I didnt pay attention that there were two rooms feeding the line for the cars. Was this part of the rennovation? If it was, it wasn't very well thought out cuz it was scary....we have a special needs child and I was so afraid he was going to get hurt cuz of how the people were pushing. I just wanted to say 'chill' to all the people around us. :(

badkitty
07-11-2009, 01:17 PM
The pushing and shoving happens every time a room will empty into the ride queue or theatre(Dinosaur, ToT, Mermaid, etc.) especially HM since many people have been on it before and know were the "door" is. It is amusing to watch people getting into "position". I have actually started going to the opposite side of the room just to avoid that push out the door. You can be trampled just by walking out the door. I don't understand the rudeness. It is so easy to get separated from your family when someone gets swept up by the tide of people. Not fun...

elmjimmlm
07-11-2009, 02:39 PM
We always try to stay toward the back of the room so we are one of the last to leave the room...Our first year our DD was 3 and she was shoved onto the moving walkway and fell...People must think that they are going to see something special if they get on first...:mad:

JRocker
07-11-2009, 04:58 PM
My kids will sometimes give me a hard time about being too patient on the rides with the cattle chute mentality.
I don't "position" myself intentionally, I just step in and where ever I land, so be it. When the door opens, I take my time moving through. I get shoved, stepped on, glared at (for what I don't know...maybe it's the jorts), and a couple of weeks ago I was cussed at.

That was an HM classic. This lady backed into me on two separate occasions (both times I was standing completely still). After the second time, she cussed me out, threatened me, accused me of knocking her on the floor, and all in all embarrassed herself and set a fine example for her young children. I calmly explained to her that she stepped into me and then she quite loudly told be to go... well, you get the idea.

The funny part, after she got done with me she went to make her grand exit, and knocked her son to the ground... Okay, maybe not funny, but definately ironic.

Sometimes I wonder if after being pushed and shoved all day (or week) long some guests just give up and do as others do.

Like somebody else said, is it worth being a jerk over two minutes, or a special seat?

Well, obviously it is for some...

BluewaterBrad
07-11-2009, 05:31 PM
Wow!! I hope it did not ruin your trip!!:mickey:

lilmick
07-11-2009, 05:51 PM
I agree with the poster that said it seems that people are getting more rude and pushier! What I disliked when we rode HM a couple of days ago were the teenagers who decided it would be funny to scream throughout the entire ride. Even when we were in the elevator and no one could hear the guy talking....:thedolls:

SBETigg
07-11-2009, 06:06 PM
I've noticed this on occasion, too. It's a shame. The ride loads so fast that there's really no need to push and rush on. We usually try to hang back and let the pushy people have their run for it.

MickeyMousse
07-11-2009, 07:43 PM
Just for this exact reason is why I have made my DF and I the last ones to exit the stretch room....we have no problems watching everyone else make the mad dash (to where, really?) while we take our time!!

Daisy'sMom
07-11-2009, 07:53 PM
I agree with the poster that said it seems that people are getting more rude and pushier! What I disliked when we rode HM a couple of days ago were the teenagers who decided it would be funny to scream throughout the entire ride. Even when we were in the elevator and no one could hear the guy talking....:thedolls:

Each time that has happened to us, I feel my blood pressure rising. These kids ruin it for everyone. The last time we were on Spaceship Earth, the people behind us were screaming and laughing so loud, we could not hear the narration. I was surprised to see it four women in the late thirites. Much to DH's chagrin, I told them they ruined our ride and told them they were inconsiderate of others. They did not care.

Stu29573
07-12-2009, 08:57 AM
When we were on HM on June 15, it was crazy. When we left the stretching room it was a scene exactly like the op stated. It completely killed the mood of the ride. Although I've never had issues with going at peak times before, this probably killed that for us. We're saying now that our next trip will be post-Thanksgiving/ pre-Christmas. I'm just going to ask off from my school district...

Polynesian Dweller
07-12-2009, 11:54 AM
Just for this exact reason is why I have made my DF and I the last ones to exit the stretch room....we have no problems watching everyone else make the mad dash (to where, really?) while we take our time!!

We do the same thing. We wait and miss the crowding at the narrowing spot. There always seems to be jostling in front of us. Seems it can happen any time of the year.

There seems to be some human characteristic that says you have to rush to be first or you are missing out on something. Even though that isn't true. It can make things unpleasant so we try to avoid it.

TheVBs
07-12-2009, 05:06 PM
How awful! :( Thankfully, we've never experience that on HM. Perhaps because we usually go during lower attendance.

IloveDisney71
07-12-2009, 06:28 PM
We also tend to hang back and take our time to avoid the "rush" of people trying to get to the doom buggies. However, the last time we were there we got shoved past by people exiting the other room. We were already to the part that narrows down right before you turn the corner and they just shoved their way through. They were adults! I couldn't believe it. I think I said something like, "whew, I hope they don't run out of doom buggies before we get a chance to ride" and I got a dirty look. The poeple behind us thought it was funny. It's a shame that not everyone is able to soak up the magic and slow down long enough to enjoy WDW.

AmandaChan
07-12-2009, 06:57 PM
The need a better line from the first room to the actual line to get on the ride. I noticed it was crazzzyy last time.

MaxPower
07-12-2009, 11:28 PM
I have noticed in the past few years that the "Cattle Zone" between the stretch rooms and the loading area is now ALWAYS crammed with people.

Clearly, they are cycling people through the stretch rooms much more quickly than they used to. I don't think there is any harm in making guests wait outside at the front door a few more minutes to allow the cattle zone to clear a little. The chaos ruins the attraction.

And although it's not right, it's human nature for people to move ahead quickly when they are in a large group all going to the same location. Those who "hang back" are in the minority, and this fact alone should make the always safety-obsessed Disney Managers change this situation at the Haunted Mansion.

Stu29573
07-13-2009, 08:18 AM
There seems to be some human characteristic that says you have to rush to be first or you are missing out on something. Even though that isn't true. It can make things unpleasant so we try to avoid it.

Actually, by rushing out of the stretching room they ARE missing something. The gargoyles now whisper to the last people out. Very creepy and cool.

Toad_Passenger
07-13-2009, 08:46 AM
Over the years I've seen this type of behavior increasing at all WDW properties. For me, and my family, WDW has always been about relaxing and taking time to notice and soak everything in (and we STILL get to see everything!). And, honestly, it seemed for so many years that everyone else (or a large majority) held this same belief.

Recently, though, it seems that those of us who are able to enjoy the parks at a leisurely pace are being outnumbered. I'm not sure why this is occurring (perhaps it's just a general "rude" swing in the entire population!), but it really is starting to wear on me during our WDW trips.

We had the same body-crunching experience on HM this past May, and, while it didn't ruin our ride, it certainly made me scratch my head as I saw the mass of humanity in front of me.

kcrc
07-13-2009, 09:22 AM
We experienced the same thing a couple weeks ago when we were on HM. As we were squashed in the waiting area trying not to lose each other, all I could thing was - What if there is a fire? Where do we go??

That was a little frightening of a thought. Luckily we got on the Doom Buggies and started moving...

RBrooksC
07-13-2009, 10:35 AM
I do think part of the upswing in rudeness in teens comes from the "self-esteem building" in the public schools that has bloated the egos of children today so they don't understand their true insignificance in the whole world.

Egos should be built by accomplishments and not by some teacher or school administrator stroking it each and every day.

Imagineer1981
07-13-2009, 11:27 AM
We used to go only during the summer months growing up, and I just thought that was how the ride worked, you funneled out into the hallway from hell and fought to the front. It wasn't until I was older and went in off season that I noticed how nice it could be

Disney Doll
07-13-2009, 11:38 AM
This is exactly why we never go in summer, but even in off season it can get a little hairy. My mother who uses a scooter or wheelchair can walk with assistance and usually does transfer on rides. However, she's not as sure footed as the average person. With it being dark and with other guests pushing towards the front she just doesn't enjoy the experience and has sworn off HM. :(

DreamFinder2
07-13-2009, 12:56 PM
Let's all say it together..."EXTRA MAGIC HOURS"!!!

My DW and I visit the MK almost exclusively in the late evening and take advantage of EMH when possible. It's seems calmer at night (even if it's not) and with all the lights it's even more magical than during the day, IMO.

As for the HM craziness...we're the kind who hang back and wait, too. Although as a previous poster mentioned, they're cycling the stretching rooms so quickly now, that your window of opportunity to join the doom buggy line is extremely short-lived.

Try it in the evening...

LoriSan
07-13-2009, 02:00 PM

You must have been there with me on Fri? All the screaming was annoying

phillydan
07-13-2009, 03:58 PM
Here is a related HM experience that was resolved to my satisfaction. As soon as the CM opened the doors to let us into the stretching room, this very obnoxious teen girl started mocking the CM's "doom voice" and repeating everything she said to the delight of her friends. Just then, a very large guest walked over to her and told her "knock it off - you are ruining it for all of us". We did not hear a peep from her after that and we were all silently cheering. It gets better - as soon as the door opened from the stretching room, 2 CM's went right to the girl and pulled her aside. We didn't see exactly what happened next, but when we came out of the exit, she was standing there waiting for her friends. Justice!

Rosemickey68
07-14-2009, 12:27 PM
The crazy thing is we did hang back knowing everyone tries to rush out of the stretching room to get onto the buggy. It was so loud when they opened up the other stretching room to let them out you couldn't hear the gargoyles if you wanted to. It was just nuts. I agree with the poster who said to go in off season!
It didn't ruin my trip, just ruined that whole ride experience you get by being shoved around.

Stu29573
07-14-2009, 01:57 PM
The crazy thing is we did hang back knowing everyone tries to rush out of the stretching room to get onto the buggy. It was so loud when they opened up the other stretching room to let them out you couldn't hear the gargoyles if you wanted to. It was just nuts. I agree with the poster who said to go in off season!
It didn't ruin my trip, just ruined that whole ride experience you get by being shoved around.

I'll admit that it was hard to hear the gargoyles that last time I was there, but I think it's ironic that people are rushing off to not miss anything and by doing so are missing a great effect. I agree that off season is the only way to go now. We're planning on early December of '10.

EeyoresBestFriend
07-14-2009, 03:52 PM

I think that's why God created Elbows ( to be used against rude, shovy people!! :D :D

rmsongs
07-14-2009, 09:10 PM
There is definitely a trend toward people being more and more obnoxious everywhere and that type of boorish behavior has, unfortunately, found its way to WDW. It's a shame, because it's always been one of the very few places where you walked through the gate and left the "real world" outside. Our most recent experience with a rude guest was on RnRC. When we were in the pre-show, some kid kept saying all the lines in a very loud voice right before the characters did. I don't understand what the purpose of that is, because it isn't funny and it can't add anything to anyone's ride experience, including the big mouth who's doing it. Maybe I'm just not smart enough to "get it"?:confused: The other thing that irks me to no end is the people who insist on smoking wherever they feel like it while CMs walk by, pretending not to notice.:mad:

DizneyFreak2002
07-14-2009, 10:00 PM
Rosemickey, why would that ruin your HM experience??? Do large crowds ruin your vacation in general??? If large crowds do bother you, maybe WDW isn't the place for you?? I don't know.. I can never say large crowds ruined any experience I had in WDW... The only time something was ruined was when I stayed in WDW at the same time a cheerleader competition was being held... Never again!!!!

badkitty
07-14-2009, 10:58 PM
The only time something was ruined was when I stayed in WDW at the same time a cheerleader competition was being held... Never again!!!!

Those cheerleaders never stop cheering! I wish I still had their energy but I agree. I will not be at WDW when their are there again either!

mouseneer
07-15-2009, 05:25 AM
It was like that at Thanksgiving. The crowd pushed so hard, it actually pulled my six year-old daughters hand out of mine. I couldn't see her for a couple of seconds, found her crying, had to pick her up and hold her until we got into our buggy. HM scared the bejeezus out of her: before she even experienced the ride !!!!

hardingella
07-15-2009, 05:40 AM
Reading these posts is making me feel a little nervous, we have always gone late february and never had this problem.next year we're going last week in May for 2 weeks. Hope we've done the right thing?:fingers:

jszczur5
07-15-2009, 01:17 PM

I was not aware that there was more than one stretching room. How many are there? I've never felt that I was being led to the right or left when entering. I will have to pay more attention this year.

Rosemickey68
07-15-2009, 10:59 PM
DisneyFreak2002, no large crowds don't bother me it was the craziness and people shoving around like cattle, what ruined the experience of the ride was I have always enjoyed that darkness and kinda creepiness when you get out of the stretching room and walk to get onto the buggy and having to deal with people pushing and shoving in the dark was something I luckily had never dealt with on the HM, I was also very concerned about the little kids around and someone getting hurt ! I also never knew there was more than 1 stretching room!?!?
I always expect a large crowd no matter what time of year I go. Like I said I have been to DL and WDW and never experienced this, Lucky I guess as looking at all the posts it is becoming more common. It's just a shame that people are so impatient and rude now a days and have no consideration for others.

badkitty
07-16-2009, 01:40 AM
I was not aware that there was more than one stretching room. How many are there? I've never felt that I was being led to the right or left when entering. I will have to pay more attention this year.

There are two. One on each side of the fireplace/portrait.

Belle_0717
07-16-2009, 08:33 AM
I've had it happen during the school break times - like Feb. I guess the timing is off but that is when the cast members really need to jump in and assist.

indytraveler
07-16-2009, 09:38 AM
I know which side to get on so you're first out the door. So I know which way the trampling will go. I'm prepared each time leaving the stretch room. The problem is with the group before you. If they had to stop the ride for someone to get on/off then the back ups start. CM's working the front should be told and hold a group at the front door. This is the fastest loading ride in the park so holding one group back will help clear the way for the cattle chute to the ride. I'd prefer to wait outside and read the tombstones than to be body to sweaty body in the attraction itself.

Stu29573
07-16-2009, 10:25 AM
I agree that it seems like they are cycling the rooms too fast. Although they can't control the crowd level outside of the mansion, they certainly can once you get inside. I, too, would rather stay outside in the heat than be dumped into the craziness that I was met with on my last visit. :(

johnO
07-16-2009, 08:27 PM
This is exactly why we travel to WDW during the "off season"

r4kids
07-17-2009, 10:25 PM
Okay, so HM has always been one of my favorite rides. I have to say the experience of it was ruined on July 3rd. When we were let out of the room..the part where you line up to get on the buggy...it was a mad house! They let out the other room before everyone in our room got on a buggy...everyone was pushing and shoving and it was a madhouse!!! I felt sorry for the people who had little kids with them as it is dark and I saw some people get trampled on. I had never seen such disorganization!!! I don't understand what happened!?!?! It really took away from the experience of this ride. I went to Disneyland multiple times as a kid and have been to DW several time now and never had this experience on the HM. Don't know if it was the CM's working that day or what happened!?!?!
I just hope it never happens again! It was horrible being cramped in like that and dangerous. Has this happened to anyone else?

This happened to us the last week in March/ first week in April this year. It was chaos. We tried to hold the kids hands and it's like a sea of people shoving each other to be first. It was terrible!

antngoof89
07-18-2009, 02:10 AM
This happened to us the last week in March/ first week in April this year. It was chaos. We tried to hold the kids hands and it's like a sea of people shoving each other to be first. It was terrible!

It's a pain to see that happen. A friend of mine informed me today how she rode Test Track on her recent Disney trip and was noticing how the cars were awfully close together. She claimed to have gone around 10 mph or less through some of the normally faster parts.

Why is Disney rushing guests in recently?

mermaidmarian
07-19-2009, 09:47 PM

I have had the OP's experience on one occassion, and this was precisely the reason. I agree with the OP that it is very chaotic and more than a bit unnerving to be in that crush coming out of the stretching rooms. There should be a means of notifying the CM's loading the stretching rooms that they will be stopping the conveyor to load guests with special needs. That said, the chaos of the interior queue did not ruin my experience of Haunted Mansion.

Sally_The_Ragdoll
07-19-2009, 10:00 PM
I don't understand the purpose of others shoving. It's an ever moving ride! Unless someone needs to stop the ride for special assistence, the thing keeps going. It's not like the Doom Buggies are going to leave without you. And for goodness sakes, watch out for other people! Especially the little ones. If someone were to trample me or my little sister, someone would get hurt. It's just plain rude!

Donald's Girl
07-19-2009, 10:13 PM
Am I the only one to notice this type of behavior isn't only present at WDW? This seems to be our society today--the people shoving to get into line for HM are the same ones blowing through red lights and leaving shopping carts in the middle of grocery store parking lots!
Maybe because you are trying to feel the Magic at WDW these rude, self-absorbed behaviors are even more grating! I know I feel the same way quite often when there. Unfortunately, I don't think there is a whole lot CMs or anybody at WDW can do to control it.

Camping Mom
07-19-2009, 10:43 PM
Even in down times like mid January people push to get on...but when you open a door and there is no line or ropes to keep you in line, everyone pushes and shoves. This happens at Rockin Roller Coaster when the doors open, too. I just hang back and walk in at the end of the group. Not worth getting crushed over.

The GOOD thing is that if you get off of HM and state to a CM that people behind you yelled and screamed and you didn't hear the narration they will usually ask if you would like to ride again. We rode once and our speaker didn't work and when we got off I mentioned it and we got to re-ride so we had the narration to go with the ride.

CaptSmee
07-19-2009, 11:09 PM
I've seen this happen on a few occassions.

I've had it happen. It's just when it's busy, or there's a problem usually.

Disneypixie513
07-20-2009, 09:38 AM
I do think part of the upswing in rudeness in teens comes from the "self-esteem building" in the public schools that has bloated the egos of children today so they don't understand their true insignificance in the whole world.

Egos should be built by accomplishments and not by some teacher or school administrator stroking it each and every day.
I totally agree with you on this. It's a Me-first society we live in now because of the self-esteem thing.
I can't really think of a time where there was pushing to the extent some of the PP have seen. I have to admit that I am sometimes impatient about getting on the ride, so i try to go through/around people. But I wouldn't push to get in the front of the line. It's just not worth it. It is a fast loading ride. Maybe people just think they're going to get a special car for being the 1st ones in line or something. :confused:

nicster
07-20-2009, 11:06 AM
It sounds like you need another WDW visit to wash away all this bad stuff:thumbsup:

WVParkfan
07-20-2009, 11:15 AM
So sorry to hear about your bad experience.

I'm a large man, so I have no problem "blocking" the pushers and shovers so they don't push my kids.

One thing I can't control, though, is rudeness. Last year, there were teen girls behind us that screamed and yelled throughout the entire queue. Some of the children in front of us freaked out, and a couple had to leave the stretching room and did not get to ride. I felt that was very unfair.

Sally_The_Ragdoll
07-20-2009, 01:57 PM
One thing I can't control, though, is rudeness. Last year, there were teen girls behind us that screamed and yelled throughout the entire queue.

I've had this happen to me, too, except it was on the Splash Mountain ride. They were singing loudly(and very off key) the whole ride! And not even the right songs! I mean, really. A little screaming when you're frightened is ok, but hooting and carrying on is uncalled for and just plain rude.

KAJUNKING
07-20-2009, 02:54 PM
im sure glad i go to the world in sept and dont really have to put up with much of this

coneygoil
07-25-2009, 10:32 AM
I had a bad experience like that at AK while getting on the train. It was so crowded and I literally got taken by the crowd and pushed in a pillar. A sharp edge hit my shin and left a huge knot. I was crying all the way to Rafiki's Planet Watch because it hurt so bad. Then a CM inside the building wouldn't help us get ice for the swelling! But a nice CM outside who was vending one of those drink carts saw us and gave us some ice. A Japanese tourist also poured cold water on my leg. It was quite an experience all because of a rude crowd! I have never been on that train since then.

candleshoe
07-25-2009, 11:36 AM
I've never liked that part of the HM- I find myself always getting a little nervous before the room opens up to the buggies. Part of the confusion is that the room is too dark. It's always mass hysteria. We've tried the staying back thing but what happens is that the other stretch room opens up before the line thins down and we end up just fighting the next crowd that has just dumped into the room.

antngoof89
08-02-2009, 01:54 AM
DisneyFreak2002, no large crowds don't bother me it was the craziness and people shoving around like cattle, what ruined the experience of the ride was I have always enjoyed that darkness and kinda creepiness when you get out of the stretching room and walk to get onto the buggy and having to deal with people pushing and shoving in the dark was something I luckily had never dealt with on the HM, I was also very concerned about the little kids around and someone getting hurt ! I also never knew there was more than 1 stretching room!?!?
I always expect a large crowd no matter what time of year I go. Like I said I have been to DL and WDW and never experienced this, Lucky I guess as looking at all the posts it is becoming more common. It's just a shame that people are so impatient and rude now a days and have no consideration for others.

Word, I was getting awfully uncomfortable with all those people pushing around. If you shove and say excuse me it's one thing, but to shove people around expect your way to be most important is something that is a fatal flaw in all people that vacation nowadays. Just because you spent a lot of money doesn't mean everyone else didn't, treat each person around you as if they're in you're party, it'll make the trip so much better.

LoriMistress
08-02-2009, 08:05 PM
Agreed.

castlelady36
08-03-2009, 11:20 AM
I never understood pushing and shoving to get on any ride anyway... It's like they think they're giving away $100 bills to the first 10 ppl on - you're not going to miss anything, so slow down and be patient, ya know?
exactly!! What is the rush??? we too have been smooshed and smashed and I have to hold my dd's 8 hand really hard to not have her tugged away from me!!