PDA

View Full Version : Economy and crowds revisited...

Snow's Mom
07-10-2009, 12:48 PM
Lots of people are out of jobs and tourism is really down in places...but not Disney World? I'm finding it hard to believe that crowds are as big as ever, even with the discounts offered.

Did anyone else notice that the "Unofficial Guide" has crowds decrease from 8's in July to 6's in August? What's up with that?

Any new thoughts or crowd reports?

Disney-lovin' Dutchman
07-10-2009, 01:24 PM
In hard times people often look for amusement..some would call it escapism (sp?)

Look at the Depression Era, some of the biggest movies ever have come out of that era. I think "Gone with the Wind" is to this date still the movie with the most tickets sold and adjusted for inflation is the biggest blockbuster of all time.

Today, you can see the same thing. There have been many very succesful movies in the last couple of months (Transformers 2, Up, Star Trek, Night at the Museum 2 etc.)
That's not to say they are all good ;)...but succesful, certainly

I think the same applies with Disney. People want to escape, and what better place than the Happiest Place on Earth?

BIGDOG
07-10-2009, 01:29 PM
Movie escape - 50.00 Disney Vacation escape -5000.00

DizneyRox
07-10-2009, 02:04 PM
Crowds ARE currently lighter than in years past. It is true that Disney is claiming that many resorts are sold out.

It may be true that they are running at 100% occupancy, but certainly not at 100% capacity.

I did not hear of any parks hitting capacity during the 4th of July weekend. While I didn't ask anyone, lines and fast pass availability was much better than years past. There were many open tables at restaurants as well, even at places that were turning away guests (le Cellier) due to no availability.

It's tough to imagine that they are running with a full complement of staff all around.

Strmchsr
07-10-2009, 02:10 PM
The late winter / spring season was MUCH higher than normal. It seems many folks considering WDW vacations jumped on the 4/3 deal. The summer seems to be down a little, but most reports I'm getting are that crowds are up, but folks are spending less on extras like souvenirs and food. Also, foreign visitors are taking advantage of the weak dollar. It makes a very good time for them to visit so the amount of foreign tourists seems to be up a good bit even if domestic tourists are down.

joonyer
07-10-2009, 03:14 PM
In the south, many schools begin the fall sessions very near the first of August (ours start back Aug. 4th). With many children going back to school then, I'm sure that accounts for some of the decrease in crowd levels in August.

Imagineer1981
07-10-2009, 03:53 PM
August is lighter because of schools starting early/mid August. The days of going back at the end of August are pretty much gone. I think attendance is still good though because of the offers, such as 4/3, free dining, and now 35% off resorts. They are throwing promotions left and right and airfare is dirt cheap as well. Our dollar is down, so some European travelers get even better deals now

iheartdisney
07-11-2009, 08:34 AM
but most reports I'm getting are that crowds are up, but folks are spending less on extras like souvenirs and food.

We were there in late May and I asked a few CM's the same question. Their response was similar to Strmchsr's. WDW is noticing more of a hit at the Deluxe Resort level, souvenir sales and TS dining. But people are still flocking to WDW. As Disney-lovin Dutchman said, Disney still provides the best escape around!

Snow's Mom
07-11-2009, 10:03 AM
I tried finding out more online, but apparently park attendance is top secret. I read somewhere that the 4/3 offer was similar to after 9/11, which says something. Seems to be working, as park attendance is up.

Also read that Universal has had almost a 20% drop in park attendance. I can't believe some of that isn't rubbing of on WDW, but it sounds like it will be wall-to-wall people for our upcoming trip at the end of July. Oh, well, had to take advantage of the free birthday night and other promos at the Swan!

Strmchsr
07-11-2009, 10:32 AM
I tried finding out more online, but apparently park attendance is top secret.

Yes, Disney never officially releases their figures. They'll just give percentages.

I wouldn't expect wall-to-wall at the end of July, but it will be crowded. Just have a plan, use fastpass, and you'll be fine.

DizneyRox
07-11-2009, 12:13 PM
Seems to be working, as park attendance is up.

I don't know if this is true. Their latest results showed significant drop off in revenue and profits compared to last year.

And speaking form personal experience, crowd levels are down significantly comparing like vacations over years past.

For example. It's not unusual to have MK and Epcot hit some sort of closure status on July 4th. To my knowledge, it didn't happen last year nor this year. Queue times were also significantly shorter this year over the 4th holiday than in previous years. Fastpass distributions were also not sold out as fast as they have in the past. All these signs lead me to believe attendence is down, comared to prior years, as these are a direct indication of crowd levels. Revenue and profit may be reflective of something else.

Strmchsr
07-11-2009, 03:10 PM
I don't know if this is true. Their latest results showed significant drop off in revenue and profits compared to last year.

Many of the Disney suits have acknowledged that revenue and profit are off to the previously mentioned factors - people not buying as many souvenirs or eating as much food. They are doing the vacation more on a shoestring budget. Also, the 4/3 deal was great for the consumer but it was offered at a time WDW traditionally does not offer discounts so that also hurt profit.

However, while late June/early July seems a little off from previous years, overall this year my friends who are long term CMs have said they have been a good bit busier than normal. That was also my experience in early May.

lilmick
07-11-2009, 06:11 PM
Crowds ARE currently lighter than in years past. It is true that Disney is claiming that many resorts are sold out.

It may be true that they are running at 100% occupancy, but certainly not at 100% capacity.

I did not hear of any parks hitting capacity during the 4th of July weekend. While I didn't ask anyone, lines and fast pass availability was much better than years past. There were many open tables at restaurants as well, even at places that were turning away guests (le Cellier) due to no availability.

It's tough to imagine that they are running with a full complement of staff all around.

It's true...the parks did not hit capacity on the 4th but it was PLENTY crowded. We were at Hollywood Studios that day and it was tough to get around because of all the people (i.e. after the fireworks, heading into Fantasmic). We were at WDW 2 years ago at this same time and I think it was FAR more crowded this year.

Snow's Mom
07-12-2009, 03:38 PM
It's true...the parks did not hit capacity on the 4th but it was PLENTY crowded. We were at Hollywood Studios that day and it was tough to get around because of all the people (i.e. after the fireworks, heading into Fantasmic). We were at WDW 2 years ago at this same time and I think it was FAR more crowded this year.

Which is why we aren't going to DS when they show Fantasmic!

I wish we had access to actual numbers. People judging crowds is always subjective. But I appreciate your efforts!

The earlier post about wait times makes a lot of sense. I'll try to compare crowds this trip to our previous August trip, but it will be apples and oranges, July vs August, plus we used EMH mornings last time, going with UG recommended days this time.

Disney_Barbie
07-16-2009, 09:52 AM
Disney Vacation escape -5000.00

Wow, I hope that was an exagerated #, or else you need to do some SERIOUS bargin hunting. Even for a wk in a Deluxe, we get away with about 1/2 that price

Stu29573
07-16-2009, 10:20 AM
My experience for the week of June 14 was that it was busiest at the beginning of the week and then fell off. Monday was nuts at the Magic Kingdom (I know, I know, stay away on Monday- but it was still much busier than years past) but by Saturday (also a busy MK day) it wasn't busy at all.

#1donaldfan
07-16-2009, 12:01 PM
My experience for the week of June 14 was that it was busiest at the beginning of the week and then fell off. Monday was nuts at the Magic Kingdom (I know, I know, stay away on Monday- but it was still much busier than years past) but by Saturday (also a busy MK day) it wasn't busy at all.

I have to agree, in part, as it was very busy on Monday at MK, but the crowds never ceased...it was crazy busy all week....it was very similar to our NYE trip 6 months earlier in MK, our last night there the 19th....MK was shoulder to shoulder as no one could move without moving as one entire group...it was CRAZY..

Gregandmel
07-16-2009, 12:52 PM
Wow, I hope that was an exagerated #, or else you need to do some SERIOUS bargin hunting. Even for a wk in a Deluxe, we get away with about 1/2 that price

referring to a Disney vacation of $5000:
Actually - that's what it costs us!
airfare for 4: $1200
7 nights moderate: $1400
4 park tickets: $1000
Food: $1000
Extra/Souvenirs: $400

Not sure that's an out of the ballpark figure for some of us!

KAJUNKING
07-16-2009, 03:37 PM
i hate to wish anything bad on the world but i hope its super slow for them labor day week :thedolls:

Stu29573
07-16-2009, 03:58 PM
I have to agree, in part, as it was very busy on Monday at MK, but the crowds never ceased...it was crazy busy all week....it was very similar to our NYE trip 6 months earlier in MK, our last night there the 19th....MK was shoulder to shoulder as no one could move without moving as one entire group...it was CRAZY..
Well, maybe "wasn't busy at all" is pushing it, but it was much better. For example on Monday BTMRR had a 60 min wait, on Saturday it was 30. I think the main point here is that while spending may be down, crowds are up! (Or at least they were in mid-June)

Jasper
07-16-2009, 04:27 PM
If you do some in depth reading of the various economic news stories out there you quickly realize that while the world as a whole is in a slump right now there are still some areas out there that are not and it is people from those areas that are coming to Disney World!

Mom2princesses
07-16-2009, 10:59 PM
I was at WDW from 6/16 through 6/23 and it was very crowded. Much busier than the end of August. I could not believe how crowded. Seems like mid June was crowded and also had the fun of the record heat that time as well. But we still had a great time!

Snow's Mom
07-23-2009, 08:58 PM
Okay, I'm IN WDW!!! I would venture to say...not that crowded, at least not today at DS. Walked on TSM at rope drop (it posted a 40 minute wait, but we just walked through the ropes without stopping), got fast passes, no problem. DH and DD did RnR and TOT with about 15 minute waits. Star Tours, Hollywood Movie Ride, walk-ons. Even found great seats for the parade just 15 minutes ahead of time.

Pool, counter service, elevators...not crowded. All in all, less crowds and waiting than an August trip three years ago. Maybe the rest of the week will make me eat my words, but right now it's looking good!