PDA

View Full Version : 5 year old has cavities - need advice!

TheVBs
07-09-2009, 10:03 PM
Ugh! Our DD5 had her first dental x-rays and they discovered 8 cavities. :( And here we thought we were doing so well with her dental care! Our family dentist referred us to a pediatric dentist. My oldest DD has been to her, so we feel confident that she'll do a good job.

Here's the deal. She gave us two options. The first would be to try to do the fillings just numbing the area - like a normal visit. They'd do this in two visits because there's 4 cavities on each side. DD5 has those really close together back teeth. Or, we could do it all in one visit with a little bit of a sedative. This is not something that would knock her out at all, it would just make her a little sleepy. They would then numb both sides and do it all in one visit. DD5 would be out of commission for the day though because they said the sedative (a liquid she'll drink) can linger. So no going out and doing anything afterward, and we have to keep a close eye on her, like watch her in the bathroom, etc.

On the one hand, I could totally forsee the regular experience going very badly. It's possible she'll fight them on it. She's very dramatic and emotional when it comes to discomfort. And two visits could be a real challenge. But for all I know, she'll be a total trooper!

On the other hand, I just hate the idea of the sedative. That could be my own anxiety talking, I know. But I worry about it, and I worry about how she'll do having to wait for her whole face to defrost and what kind of an effect the whole experience will have on her.

Has anyone else been through these types of appointments? Which did you choose? Why? How did your child do?

Help!:(

SBETigg
07-09-2009, 10:18 PM
I have a drama girl at home, and when she had dental issues as a little one, it was quite the time. She still hates going to the dentist-- though she did survive over a year in braces recently, and she seems more relaxed now.

For the drama reason, I would go with the light sedative and try to get it done and deal with the agony all at once. If she goes for the first four and has a bad time of it, you'll have a worse time getting her back. But with the sedative, it might not seem all that bad and the drama could be reduced. Though, I know exactly how you feel and that option would have scared me a bit, too. I hope you can find a happy, comfortable solution that makes it all easy for you and easy on her. Best wishes!

MNNHFLTX
07-09-2009, 10:49 PM
Personally, I think the sedative might be the way to go too. The type of sedative they use usually has an amnesic effect--in other words, your daughter will probably have little memory of what happened. And she will be monitored, during the procedure by the dentist and techs and afterwards by you, of course. She might act a little loopy for a while, but that's to be expected. Then after this procedure you can focus on the typical numbing process for the occasional cavity.

Most importantly, though--what does your dentist recommend? I'm sure they see so many similar situations in their practice and would have an idea about which is best.

BTW, it sounds like your daughter is prone to cavities. Did the dentist say that putting a sealant on her molars might be an option to prevent further cavities? This worked really well for my son. He had four cavities at age 5, then they put the sealant on and he had no cavities at all until he finally had one at age 12 (and that was in the tooth that the sealant had come off of).

Basket Mommy
07-09-2009, 11:24 PM
Have you asked about laser dentistry? Our pediatric dentist offers laser treatments for cavities. Our kids haven't yet had a cavity, so we haven't had experience with it, but I remember the dentist mentioning it when we did our initial tour 9 years ago.

Here's the website:

http://www.laserdentistry.org/

Search for dentists in your area here (http://www.laserdentistry.org/patients/search.cfm).

If laser isn't an option, I'd definitely go with the sedative. Much less traumatic.

Aurora
07-10-2009, 01:20 AM
We had almost the exact same experience with my middle child -- 8 cavities -- when he was 6 years old. I was really worried how he would handle it, and he had to have his treated in four visits, 2 each time. I was very worried because he had great anxieties, but he loves his dentist so he was fine!!

Nowadays dentists have so many ways to increase comfort for even these procedures. Is there any way to bring your daughter in before the procedure to make her comfortable with the dentist? Pediatric dentists' offices, though, are usually quite "fun" places, so she may like it even without an initial visit.

I would go with the regular treatment the first time. If she doesn't handle it well, you can always do a sedative the second time and tell her it's a "different" kind of medicine.

beksy
07-10-2009, 03:27 AM
I didn't have any problems with my teeth when I was younger but my sister had to have several of her baby teeth pulled. I believe she was about 5 at the time. They used the sedative on her and she came through just fine. A year later she had a cavity and when we were home she insisted that NO ONE was touching her mouth again without the nice juice to drink (she was our little drama queen). When I had my wisdom teeth out I had the option of just regular numbing, a light sedative, or being put to sleep. Let's just say I'm a huge baby when it comes to pain and my face (I can handle surgury on my feet much better!) and went for being put to sleep. It was so much better. I don't remember any of it and recovery wasn't that bad. I think especially with someone young you need to consider that a bad experience now could lead to years of problems with dental visits/procedures in the future and do which you think she would handle best. It would concern me that the first time if you just go with numbing it could be bad and you could have problems getting her back for the second round, even using a light sedative. Plus if you get them all done at once, she will only have recovery once. It might be a longer, harder recovery but since it is just one time it might be easier in the long-run. Good luck with whatever you decide and :tink: for your daughter!

TheVBs
07-10-2009, 08:39 AM
Thanks everyone! :mickey:

Our family dentist suggested that the sedative might be a good option when he gave us the referral. They do have the laser treatment, but unfortunately her cavities are too advanced for it.

If she were just a little older, I think I'd feel more confident about how things might go - or maybe that's wishful thinking! In my head, the sedative seems the logical way to go. All done in one visit, hopefully no vivid memories of discomfort, etc. In my heart though, I'm feeling major anxiety and mom-guilt!

DH feels confident that the sedative is the way to go and he's even made the appointment, Aug 4th. So, I think I'm just going to take a deep breath and roll with it and try to fight off those urges to cancel. He'll be off for the day so we can keep an eye on her, and I'll go out and get some gifts for her.

I will definitely ask about the sealant for her molars! Thanks for that tip! I'm guessing she's prone to cavities too. I know I am. We have been flossing and I bought a flouride rinse. And she's a total sugar fiend! You should see her in the candy shop on Main St. She looks like she's going to pass out from sheer joy!

RenDuran
07-10-2009, 10:55 AM
You'll be glad you went with the sedative. We did that with our 3yo when he had a cavity in his front tooth! We didn't want him to have future nightmares when he went to the dentist. Plus I think the dental team can work better when they're not worried about the kid flinching and looking around at everything.

conorsmom2000
07-10-2009, 09:31 PM
We've been in the exact same boat - when Conor was 5 we found out that the enamel had worn off his teeth and he had 7 cavities, 2 so severe that, while they could have done root canals, the recommendation was to have those two pulled since they were baby teeth. We chose the sedative for two appointments - one to have the teeth pulled, the other to fill the other cavaties. What they gave him wasn't a full sedative, though - he was a little sleepy but how they refered to it was as an "amnesia" sedative. He would be awake, though sleepy, but wouldn't truly remember what happened. They gave him the liquid and had me lie down with him until he was sleepy, then they took him into the room (I wasn't allowed to go with him). He was not asleep and we could hear him crying (from anxiety, and wanting Mom, not pain) which was horrible for us, but when it was all done, he couldn't tell you what had happened - he had no true memory of it. I truly know the sedative was the right choice for us.

He is very anxious about the dentist now, but with each great visit we've had since, it lessens each time.

Good luck!!!

TheVBs
07-11-2009, 10:14 PM
Thank you! It makes such a difference to hear from people who made that choice and were happy with it.

We won't be allowed to go back with her either. And while I definitely understand the reasoning behind that, I think that has fed into my anxiety.

I'm definitely feeling more comfortable about the choice, especially since it may have the effect of making the memory of the dental work less vivid. She loves the dentist right now, and I don't want that to change!

chaodj9
07-11-2009, 10:46 PM
Ugh! Our DD5 had her first dental x-rays and they discovered 8 cavities. :( And here we thought we were doing so well with her dental care! Our family dentist referred us to a pediatric dentist. My oldest DD has been to her, so we feel confident that she'll do a good job.

Here's the deal. She gave us two options. The first would be to try to do the fillings just numbing the area - like a normal visit. They'd do this in two visits because there's 4 cavities on each side. DD5 has those really close together back teeth. Or, we could do it all in one visit with a little bit of a sedative. This is not something that would knock her out at all, it would just make her a little sleepy. They would then numb both sides and do it all in one visit. DD5 would be out of commission for the day though because they said the sedative (a liquid she'll drink) can linger. So no going out and doing anything afterward, and we have to keep a close eye on her, like watch her in the bathroom, etc.

On the one hand, I could totally forsee the regular experience going very badly. It's possible she'll fight them on it. She's very dramatic and emotional when it comes to discomfort. And two visits could be a real challenge. But for all I know, she'll be a total trooper!

On the other hand, I just hate the idea of the sedative. That could be my own anxiety talking, I know. But I worry about it, and I worry about how she'll do having to wait for her whole face to defrost and what kind of an effect the whole experience will have on her.

Has anyone else been through these types of appointments? Which did you choose? Why? How did your child do?

Help!:(

Poor kid... anyway sorry to hear For the kids cavity's i would have to go with the one time sedative ive had my wisdom teeth removed with a full blown sedative (both of my top wisdom teeth) and the after effect wasnt that bad just a little of a trouble doing anything physical (for me a week) but for her a day so she'll probably have bad anxiety for the begginingg as will any kid (im 13 and i probably had worse anxiety than she will have [yea strange:blush:])

but in the end she'll be happy its all over and i kind of enjoyed the week of being catered maybe she'll enjoy the day

rjmdds
07-13-2009, 10:50 AM
I am a dentist (can you tell from my profile name?). I agree with everyone here that conscious sedation is the way to go . It is very safe and very effective. You also have to consider that through sedation, your daughter will have no recollection of the experience. This will make it much easier to bring her to the dentist for routine check-ups. If you elected to have the fillings done traditionally and if it is a bad experience, you may risk not getting her back again. She will surely recall that experience. If you have any other q's please feel free to pm me.

TheVBs
07-14-2009, 07:07 PM
Thank you so much!! I'm feeling so much better about this now. I know if we did a regular visit and it went bad, it would be almost impossible to get her in that chair again.

I did pick up a little gift for her today, a stuffed animal for her to snuggle. I've got a sticker book for her to play with, and I think I'm going to get one of those jumbo coloring books. We'll just stay low key all day and give her lots of special attention.

TheVBs
07-24-2009, 10:07 AM
We just got bumped up to an earlier appt., next Monday! I'm trying not to get anxious all over again. :( But, better to get it out of the way sooner, and this appt. is a little earlier in the morning which I think will help.

If anyone can spare some pixie dust for DD5, I would really appreciate it! :mickey:

It'sWDW4me
07-24-2009, 10:53 AM
:pixie: :pixie: for both of you!

If she can eat before the appointment (some sedatives, you can, others you can't - your dentist will know for sure), make sure she eats a hearty breakfast so that she's not starving while she's still too numb. My DS really chewed up the inside of his cheek once while trying to eat before he "defrosted" (that term does fit so nicely!). If she can't eat beforehand, you may want to stock up on applesause or pudding or yogurt so she can eat something without having to chew.

Best of luck - I hope it goes well for you both!

Gooftroop5
07-24-2009, 11:12 AM
:pixie::pixie: for all of you.

She will be fine. I use to work in a pharmacy & a lot of people use to come into get the medicince to calm their children before the appointment. I don't know if they still have you give it to the child before you leave (it's been 11 years since I worked there) but be prepared if you do that they may be asleep before you leave the house. One gentleman told me he gave it to his daughter he turned around to go & she was asleep with in less then 5 minutes. He had to carry her to the car.

Good luck! I think you are making the best choice. I know if I was faced with what you are I would choose the sedation. I wish they would sedate me. :D I hate the dentist even getting my teeth cleaned.

SBETigg
07-24-2009, 11:12 AM
It's a little scary for both of you, but I'm sure you'll all do fine!

:pixie:

magicofdisney
07-24-2009, 11:25 AM
Our family went in for their cleanings last year and the dentist found 4 or 5 cavities in one of my girls. There were insurance issue and we had to switch dentist. I too was upset because I thought we were doing a good job with brushing and flossing. Guess what? The new dentist only found 1 cavity. :confused: How is that? I'd sure like to know what we did to get rid of those other cavities because I'm going to market that program and sell my services online. You'll see banner ads everywhere

"Mom rids daughter of 4 cavities. Learn her secret now..."

joanna71985
07-24-2009, 03:16 PM
We just got bumped up to an earlier appt., next Monday! I'm trying not to get anxious all over again. :( But, better to get it out of the way sooner, and this appt. is a little earlier in the morning which I think will help.

If anyone can spare some pixie dust for DD5, I would really appreciate it! :mickey:

Sending lots of Pixie Dust your way. I know she will be just fine. :)

TheVBs
07-24-2009, 05:10 PM
Thank you everyone! I'm taking deep, slow breaths.

She's not allowed to eat before the appt., so great suggestion on getting the soft foods! They don't want us to try to give her too much because the medicine can nauseate her, so we'll take it slow and have stuff she can eat before she defrosts (perfect word!).

They'll be giving her the medicine at the appt. Then she'll sit in the waiting room until it takes affect.

Magicofdisney, we thankfully have a long history with our dentist, so I trust him. I'm so glad it turned out that your daughter only had one cavity, but how awful that you had to go through that!! Did you ever contact your old dentist for an explination?

My DH volunteered to take her in on his own. He probably just doesn't want to deal with me fretting in the waiting room. I think I'll take him up on the offer! :blush:

TheVBs
07-27-2009, 11:45 AM
Thank you everyone! That must have been some powerful pixie dust you sent our way. :mickey: She did absolutely fantastic, couldn't have been a better patient. She's home, sleepy and a little loopy, but happy and watching Peter Pan. :tink:

MNNHFLTX
07-27-2009, 02:56 PM
So glad to hear it went well. :thumbsup:

joanna71985
07-27-2009, 05:24 PM
Glad to hear it went well. :)

SBETigg
07-27-2009, 09:41 PM
Thanks for the update! So happy to hear it went well for her.

TheVBs
07-28-2009, 05:04 PM
The rest of the day went just fine. Her face defrosted by about noon, and the effects of the sedative were completely gone by about 4pm.

I'm so relieved it went well! Opting for the sedative and doing them all at once was really the way to go.

It'sWDW4me
07-28-2009, 05:46 PM
Yay! I'm glad all went well. :party: