PDA

View Full Version : Tipping on DDP?

LarryBoy
07-09-2009, 11:02 AM
What have you found is the easiest and quickest way to pay for tip and any extras on the new DDP? Do you use cash, charge it to the room, or use a credit/debit card? This will be our first trip since they've changed the dinning plan.

WishesFan13
07-09-2009, 11:18 AM
DH and i used cash for the tips at most restaurants. We charged back to the room once or twice for some of the more expensive restaurants, but used cash for the most part. They make it easy however you choose to pay though.

Seasonscraps
07-09-2009, 11:25 AM
We usually pay the tip in cash - it's one less transaction we have to wait for to process.

DisneyFr33k
07-09-2009, 12:14 PM
This may sound ****, but we look at the menus ahead of time, pick what we think we'd like to try, and get a pretty good idea how much our bill will be (we don't include tax). Then we label on the outside of the envelopes with the day, ADR ressie numbers, and any other important information on it for that day. In the envelope we put the money for tip, souvenirs, etc. That way we don't over spend and keep to our budget. I wish the cruise would let us pay cash. That got dangerous just charging to the room during our last cruise!

fupresti
07-09-2009, 12:36 PM
We use our Disney Reward dollars to pay, so we just charge it to the room and use our reward dollars to settle the bill when checking out.

DVC2004
07-09-2009, 12:39 PM
We carry almost no cash ever- it's debit card for us.

kakn7294
07-09-2009, 01:04 PM
We plan to charge the tip to the room since we're putting charging privileges on the KTTW card. Since they will be using it for the DDP, they can just charge the tip and any extra expenses right to the card.

LarryBoy
07-09-2009, 01:32 PM
We carry almost no cash ever- it's debit card for us.

Did this seem to slow do the check paying process? I alomost never carry cash. I prefer to use my debit, but I've heard it can take them a while.

laprana
07-09-2009, 01:48 PM
This may sound ****, but we look at the menus ahead of time, pick what we think we'd like to try, and get a pretty good idea how much our bill will be (we don't include tax). Then we label on the outside of the envelopes with the day, ADR ressie numbers, and any other important information on it for that day. In the envelope we put the money for tip, souvenirs, etc. That way we don't over spend and keep to our budget.

We do something very similar! Having it all planned out somewhat ahead of time is so much less hassle once you're there. We always pay cash for the tips and it's easy and painless. After a few servers asking us how we were going to pay for the tip, we just started writing "CASH" on the tip line of the receipt they brought for us to sign. That ended those questions! :thumbsup:

ibelieveindisneymagic
07-09-2009, 02:06 PM
We try and leave cash for the tips, it helps us keep track of how much money we are really spending.

However, if DH gets a beer or two, we might pay the whole OOP in cash, or charge it to the room.

Gooftroop5
07-09-2009, 02:49 PM
We paid with our room keys the last trip because that was the easiest & fastest. Each room handed one key & they took off the appropriate DDP & then added the tip to the card. There were 14 people total between 4 rooms. It was just easier to have your portion of the tip charged to our room. Of course we had the tip automatically added on to our bill because there was 14 of us. Trust me it was the fairest way.

The only exception was when dh & I were by ourselves then we left cash.

DVC2004
07-09-2009, 03:23 PM
Did this seem to slow do the check paying process? I alomost never carry cash. I prefer to use my debit, but I've heard it can take them a while.

I didn't think it took any more time then it does when you pay your entire check with a debit card. :thumbsup:

kakn7294
07-09-2009, 05:19 PM
Did this seem to slow do the check paying process? I alomost never carry cash. I prefer to use my debit, but I've heard it can take them a while.We use our debit card all the time as well and have never had a problem. It's always been the same as anyone who's using a credit card because at WDW, it's processed as credit.

biodtl
07-09-2009, 06:35 PM
We always charge everything to the room so we don't have to carry too much stuff - wallets, cash, etc. To avoid going overboard with the spending, I usually head down to the front desk every other day while the family gets ready (I am the resident early bird) and check my balance.

TheVBs
07-09-2009, 08:48 PM
We also charge to the room. We don't like to carry a lot of cash around, and there's no way we're organized enough to plan for tips. We bring a large ziplock to stash our receipts in, and I check our room charges every couple of days.

iheartdisney
07-09-2009, 09:27 PM
Cash -- quick, easy, and always appreciated.

lightyearfan
07-10-2009, 01:00 PM
me and dw use cash for tipping on the ddp. the amount always depends on the type of service that we get, and usually get great service, except for when we ate at Le Chefs 1 time our waiter so **** rude and went out of his way not to care so needless to say we only left 5 bucks. on the other side of that when we ate at the sci-fi our server was probably the best that we ever had at WDW, he was pleasant, charming, didn't even ask us if we wanted refills, so that when our cups were near empty he would just give us new ones, gaves us some drinks to go, he got 15 bucks, he went out of his way top make us happy, and he did it with a smile.

Victor

wildernesslady
07-10-2009, 04:37 PM
I like leaving cash. One time we had a server take it upon himself to charge our room key without ever asking. For 20% also. We spoke to the manager immediately but it took awhile to get it credited back. It was a buffet and we were never asked for drink refills or got our plates cleared. Really bad service.

wdwnomad
07-10-2009, 10:36 PM
We do something very similar! Having it all planned out somewhat ahead of time is so much less hassle once you're there. We always pay cash for the tips and it's easy and painless. After a few servers asking us how we were going to pay for the tip, we just started writing "CASH" on the tip line of the receipt they brought for us to sign. That ended those questions! :thumbsup:

I do exactly the same thing. I really think it speeds up the process too. Once they give you the receipt return it with cash written in the tip and your KTTW card. Then the server has to run the card and they close out the check. Otherwise, the server has to run the KTTW card and then the credit card. Putting the tip on the room charge I hear sometimes the servers put the meal on there by mistake. Then you would have to get that fixed. Finally, once they return with the KTTW card all you have to do is sign the one slip. Using other forms a payment they you have to sign the other slips too. You end up with all these slips of paper....one for you, one for the place, a copy of the itemized bill.