PDA

View Full Version : Babes on Rides

BelleKP
07-08-2009, 09:19 AM
So I've read many posts/info about the fact that you can take your 'baby' on any ride without a height restriction . . . but my question is; where do you physically put them? My question stems from another poster, describing their experience on TSM with their toddler.
My DD will be 9 months when we go in December, so she will be able to sit on her own . . . but is that safe? Do you ride with your child on your lap? Between you and another adult? In her carrier/snuggli? One ride that comes to mind is Peter Pan . . . All four of us won't be able to fit in one ship . . . but with the lap bar, I'm assuming that my DD will have to 'sit' beside me?
To those of you that have traveled with babes in arms . . . I would love to know how you handled it!

momofdisneyprincess
07-08-2009, 09:43 AM
We went when my son was 10 months last year. He rode most rides in the Baby Bjorn but some on my nap. When in the carrier, I would sit him on top of the lap bar (if that makes sense).. Not sure how "legal" that is but nobody said anything and, as I said, he was secure in the carrier.

megustamex
07-08-2009, 11:09 AM
Usually you can hold them, no problem. We still fit 4 in Peter Pan - my husband holds my 2 year old and we put my 4 year old in with us on the seat.

Belster
07-08-2009, 11:20 AM
We went in October when my son was 9 months and he sat on our laps...Peter Pan we did 4 with no problem. Each ride is different, some he/she will be able to sit next to you as you hold them others on your lap. I will say that on TSM we had a bit of a tight squeeze....he got stuck a bit...hehe. We did work it out though...

Imagineer1981
07-08-2009, 11:31 AM
Good questions, we will have our 18month old with us at the time and I want to know the same thing. Do CMs factor in the baby on your lap when they group you for rides?

buzznwoodysmom
07-08-2009, 11:37 AM
Our youngest DSs first trip was when he was 9 months old and I remember him sitting on our laps for most of the rides. Like other's have said we fit 4 easily on Peter Pan. I don't remember having a problem with how or where to sit the baby on any of the rides that he was able to go on.

BelleKP
07-08-2009, 01:33 PM
Like other's have said we fit 4 easily on Peter Pan.
You all must be skinnier than me! :blush:

I guess I wasn't sure if DD would fit on my lap/under the lap bar . . . and/or if CM's would ask you to sit them beside you on their own.
At our local theme park (Canada's Wonderland for all you Ontarians out there), I went on a no restriction ride with my DD, currently 3months, and was asked to 'seat' her beside me (as opposed to in her snuggli). I actually said 'are you joking?', when they said 'no', I tried to explain she was much safer in her carrier, but they insisted. It was quite funny seeing her in her seat, I would have taken a picture if my hands hadn't been busy holding her up!

Disney Doll
07-08-2009, 01:47 PM
We took DS at 12 months and again at 15 months. Most of the time he rode in my lap. When the CM would ask how many we always said 3 (including baby) and then they directed us to the appropriate ride vehicle, but never said anything about how we were required to sit. Even though my DS was old enough to sit, he wouldn't have been able to see much if he weren't in a lap. We usually held him under the lap bar just because that's how we felt most comfortable. Those rides are tame enough that the lap bar isn't really necessary to keep an adult in place so I didn't worry that the lap bar wasn't snug. I imagine they are just there to keep kiddos from standing up mid ride.

danimator
07-08-2009, 01:54 PM
I thought this thread was about something else.

I'll leave now.

BelleKP
07-08-2009, 02:37 PM

I'll leave now.

:funny::rotfl::funny:
Funny thing is, that's totally in line with my sense of humour . .. yet didn't think of it when I titled the thread! Thanks for putting a smile on my face!

megustamex
07-08-2009, 02:55 PM
You can tell if you'll fit or not when you see the car...then just tell the CM "we're four but we all want to be in one car" etc. I think Pooh was the one ride where we had to split up in Fantasyland.

Giselle
07-08-2009, 03:26 PM
On that topic, what rides are good for babies?

teambricker04
07-08-2009, 05:22 PM
We always just held onto our little one's for rides. On TSM, youngest DS couldn't ride because he had to be able to sit and remain seated in his own seat. At 12 mo, he would never have done that ever. So we baby swapped that ride and DS#1 got to ride twice. This was before the ride opened at a preview day so it may have changed since then.

BelleKP
07-08-2009, 06:13 PM
On that topic, what rides are good for babies?

From what I understand/have seen any ride without a height restriction . . . there are too many to list, in other words there are more that they can do than can't.
Here's Intercots list of Attraction and Height Restrictions (http://www.intercot.com/infocentral/park/rideheight.asp) although TSM is not on the list yet.

wdw_bound
07-08-2009, 06:53 PM
Another plug for the baby Bjorn. We took DS at 10 mos - he rode very securely in it, and I felt more comfortable having my hands free to help my DD.

estein80
07-09-2009, 08:43 PM
We took my DD at 9 and 11 months. She spent most of her travel time in my Ergo Baby carrier. When we got on a ride she would sit in my lap or my DH's lap. No one ever said anything to me about a lap bar not going all the way down, but remember these are the less "turbulent" rides, anyway. I did keep DD in the carrier for Pirates and Maelstrom.

In response to the PP about good rides for youngin's... My DD really liked Winnie the Pooh, Peter Pan, Small World, Gran Fiesta in Mexico, and the Seas with Nemo. We also took her on Haunted Mansion, Pirates, Buzz Lightyear, Maelstrom, Toy Story Mania, Kilimanjaro Safaris.

iheartdisney
07-09-2009, 09:11 PM

I'll leave now.

The only reason I peeked in on this thread was to make a similar comment. Someone beat me to it!

But then, I too have some advice to share. When my youngest was 10 months old I carried him in a sling. On rides where he could "sit" in front of me I did that. On rides where he would be more comfortable (because of a lap bar, for example) to my side I just shifted him to my right. I liked the sling because I felt like he was more stable, especially on rides like POC where there might be a bit of a "thrill."