PDA

View Full Version : Disney's A Christmas Carol (in Theaters Nov. 6)

NotaGeek
07-08-2009, 12:47 AM
This movie looks absolutely amazing ... check out the Official Site (http://disneydvd.disney.go.com/a-christmas-carol.html) or Yahoo! Site (http://movies.yahoo.com/movie/1810049009/info) ... not much there yet, but just wait!

NotaGeek
07-08-2009, 01:02 AM
I attended this tonight in Spokane ... it was really cool and it's free admission! There is a GREAT 10 minute preview of the movie that was worth the wait. OMG. The 3-D is absolutely phenomenal and the animation effects are going to completely blow you guys away! This movie is going to change the movie experience!

For information go to the office Disney's Christmas Carol Train Tour Site (http://disney.go.com/disneypictures/christmascaroltraintour/)

Dates:
July 10 – 11, 2009 / Witefish Amtrak Station (Montana)

July 15 – North Dakota State University (Fargo, North Dakota)

July 17 -19, 2009 / Amtrak Midway Station (St. Paul, Minnesota)

July 24 – 26, 2009 / Chicago Union Station (Illinois)

July 31 – August 2, 2009 / St. Louis Union Station (Missouri)

August 4, 2009 / Memphis Central Station (Tennessee)

August 7-9, 2009 / Riverview in Audubon Park (New Orleans, Louisiana)

August 11, 2009 / Houston Amtrak Station (Houston, TX)

August 14 – 16 / San Antonio Amtrak Station (Texas)

August 18 – 19 / Dallas Union Station (Dallas, Texas)

August 21 – 23, 2009 / Oklahoma City Santa Fe Depot (Oklahoma)

Augus 25, 2009 / Kansas City Union Station (Missouri)

August 28 – 30, 2009 / Durham Museum (Omaha, Nebraska)

September 4- 6th / Henry Ford Museum Greenfield Village (Dearborn, Michigan)

September 9, 2009 / Indianapolis area / Downtown Bargersville

September 11 – 13, 2009 / Louisville Union Station (Kentucky)

September 16 – 17 / Cleveland Brown’s Lot (Ohio)

September 22, 2009 / Albany-Rensselaer Rail Station (New York)

September 25 – 27 / Boston South Station (Massachusettes)

October 2 – 4, 2009 / B & O Railroad Museum (Baltimore, Maryland)

October 6, 2009 / Southeastern Railway Museum (Atlanta, Georgia)

October 9 – 11, 2009 / NC Transportation Museum (Spencer, North Carolina

October 13, 2009 / Savannah Amtrak Station (Georgia)

October 16 – 18, 2009 / Gold Coast Railroad Museum (Miami, Florida)

October 20, 2009 / Jacksonville Amtrak Station (Florida)

October 23 – 25, 2009 / Ansonborough Field (Charleston, South Carolina)

October 27, 2009 / 34th Street Station (Philadelphia, PA)

October 30 – November 1 / Grand Central Station (New York, New York)

Disney Doll
07-08-2009, 02:54 PM
Thanks for the information! Nothing ever comes to Oklahoma so I was shocked to see that the tour is coming our way. Might just have to check it out. :thumbsup:

ASweetLov
07-08-2009, 11:52 PM
I can't wait for this movie. I'm going to drag my sister to watch this

RedSoxFan
07-09-2009, 04:07 PM
This ought to be a great movie --- esp with Jim Carrey in it.:mickey:

RBrooksC
11-05-2009, 08:07 AM
He is one of the only critics I trust so that is a good sign. I am still debating on whether or not I should take my three and 1/2 year old son to see it but I may just say the heck with it and take him. It is a classic Christmas story.

Joannelet
11-05-2009, 08:16 AM
I know I was thinking of that too if little kids should go and see it because some parts that I've seen in previews look a bit scary.....
I'm excited for myself to see it however!! I can't wait!

like2workout
11-05-2009, 08:31 AM
this is also one i'm really looking forward to!

RBrooksC
11-05-2009, 08:36 AM
I know he won't want to leave the theater or anything like that. And to be honest, my son is enthralled by "monsters" right now and the scarier the better.

What neither my wife nor I want to have to deal is the "I don't want to close my eyes and go to sleep because the monsters will get me."

But like I said, I think we will still take him to see it.

pdrlkr
11-05-2009, 09:14 AM
We can't wait for it to come out! :thumbsup:

laprana
11-05-2009, 09:46 AM
Excellent! I can't wait to see this and we are going this Saturday! :thumbsup:

mickeys_princess_mom
11-05-2009, 07:51 PM
I'm excited, too! Doing a mini-unit on the book next week and taking our classes on a field trip to see it the following week. Should be lots of fun! I did this with The Polar Express a few years ago. Kids did their own interpretation in a play, and then got to see the movie. They were captivated, and the only sound in the whole theater was whispers of "That was me!"

DVC2004
11-06-2009, 08:24 AM
So excited for this! We have to attend a wedding and prewedding activities this weekend so we won't get to go until at least Sunday, but I am looking forward to it!

luvmyboys4ever
11-07-2009, 04:00 AM
Saw the movie today. It was really good. A little slow to start, but then picked up. There were scenes that some younger kids did not like...and some olderer...but not too many of those. It can be a little heavy for young kids, so don't go thinking it'll be great for a 2 year old...but I guess that depends on the 2 year old. I do know the little ones in the audience talked the whole time, so it wasn't capturing their attention the way other Disney movies do. The 3D was a nice touch.:waycool: I now remember why we don't go to movies on opening day...madhouse! I'm glad we went, but we should have waited a week or two...to miss the crowds. It really gets you in the mood for the holidays.:santa2: So, if you're not feeling it yet, go and see this movie and it'll get you there.

coloradowendyl
11-07-2009, 09:11 AM
This is going to be our day after Thanksgiving movie...Christmas doesn't officially start for me until then!

Can't wait to see it!

Wendy

valjane
11-07-2009, 09:22 PM
Well, I'm disappointed. I've seen every version of A Christmas Carol-- it's one of my favorite stories of all time. But this version was too dark. Weird and even silly in some places.

It had good moments but was probably the least compelling telling of this tale I've seen on film.

Melanie
11-08-2009, 03:48 PM
This is going to be our day after Thanksgiving movie...Christmas doesn't officially start for me until then!

I totally agree Wendy. It's way too early for me. Not surprised it didn't do that well this weekend.

NotaGeek
11-08-2009, 06:18 PM
I agree ... will be waiting a few weeks for this one. I think Disney went early because of all the huge films opening on Thanksgiving...

Greenlawler
11-09-2009, 01:37 AM
I am going this weekend but I must be honest I am leery. I did not like Polar Express at all and found the animation irritating. The realistic look at least IMO makes the animation useless. Why not just do it live action? My blind loyalty to Disney will guide me to the movie. I hope I enjoy it more than Polar Express.

Fairy Grandmother
11-09-2009, 03:26 AM
Well, I'm disappointed. I've seen every version of A Christmas Carol-- it's one of my favorite stories of all time. But this version was too dark. Weird and even silly in some places.

It had good moments but was probably the least compelling telling of this tale I've seen on film.

:ditto:
I agree with you completely! I was very disappointed. Also, I would not take a young child to see it.

DVC2004
11-09-2009, 08:35 AM
:ditto:
I agree with you completely! I was very disappointed. Also, I would not take a young child to see it.

Just curious to anyone who has seen it- about not taking young kids- why? Are there scary/frightening parts?

laprana
11-09-2009, 10:20 AM

I could not agree more!! I left this movie really disappointed and feeling a little creeped out, not Christmasy at all. I understand that there are some very dark themes and parts to the story line, but it seems like Disney took them and made them extremely dark and creepy. I absolutely would not take young kids to see this movie. I think they'd be scared out of their minds. In fact, there were a couple of kids in the theater when I saw it on Saturday - probably no older than 3 or 4 - who started crying when Jacob Marley showed up.

And, I'm sorry, but WHAT was up with the ghost of Christmas Past? Am I totally missing something there??

A Christmas Carol is my favorite Christmas movie and I have it in many different versions, all of which I love, but this definitely will not be added to my collection. I think Disney missed the mark on this. :(

Goofster
11-09-2009, 12:24 PM
My 3 kids and I love the Polar Express and watch it quite a few times during Christmas (and sometimes my youngest watches it throughout the year - he's a big train fan). My wife and I were planning on taking the kids to see A Christmas Carol this weekend...but then I read the Detroit News' review calling it "creepy" and then the reviews here...having second thoughts now as my kids are 6 and under.

Can anyone ellaborate further on why it was disappointing and creapy...and scary? Thanks!

laprana
11-09-2009, 12:59 PM
My 3 kids and I love the Polar Express and watch it quite a few times during Christmas (and sometimes my youngest watches it throughout the year - he's a big train fan). My wife and I were planning on taking the kids to see A Christmas Carol this weekend...but then I read the Detroit News' review calling it "creepy" and then the reviews here...having second thoughts now as my kids are 6 and under.

Can anyone ellaborate further on why it was disappointing and creapy...and scary? Thanks!

There are a few specific parts that I thought were pretty creepy and could be scary for young kids. I don't want to give too much away for the people who have not seen the movie yet, but they are: :spoiler:

-When Jacob Marley visits Scrooge, his jaw falls open, and let's just say he has a hard time getting it back into place

-The ghost of Christmas Past hisses and sounds like a snake when he talks (part of his character, but still weird)

-The "children" that are under the ghost of Christmas Present's robe, Ignorance and Want, seem evil and they "grow up" into criminals and a psychotic person in a straight jacket

-Scrooge falling into a glowing red coffin buried deep in the earth when he is visited by the Ghost of Christmas Yet to Come

-Scrooge being chased by black horses with glowing red eyes when he is visited by the Ghost of Christmas Yet to Come

Overall, the movie just had a very creepy vibe to it. It was not Christmasy at all, except for the last 10 minutes or so. I wouldn't recommend taking your kids if they are 6 and under unless you know they do not scare easily.

Goofster
11-09-2009, 01:54 PM
Thanks...this helps in our decison on whether to take the kids! :mickey:

rjmdds
11-09-2009, 02:09 PM
I agree with Laprana. My 7 year old daughter spent the second half of the movie in my lap. This is the same girl who used to watch Van Helsing at age 3. I actually enjoyed it myself. I would be very wary of bringing any child under 8 to this movie unless they love being frightened.

valjane
11-09-2009, 02:41 PM
There are a few specific parts that I thought were pretty creepy and could be scary for young kids. I don't want to give too much away for the people who have not seen the movie yet, but they are: :spoiler:

-When Jacob Marley visits Scrooge, his jaw falls open, and let's just say he has a hard time getting it back into place

-The ghost of Christmas Past hisses and sounds like a snake when he talks (part of his character, but still weird)

-The "children" that are under the ghost of Christmas Present's robe, Ignorance and Want, seem evil and they "grow up" into criminals and a psychotic person in a straight jacket

-Scrooge falling into a glowing red coffin buried deep in the earth when he is visited by the Ghost of Christmas Yet to Come

-Scrooge being chased by black horses with glowing red eyes when he is visited by the Ghost of Christmas Yet to Come

Overall, the movie just had a very creepy vibe to it. It was not Christmasy at all, except for the last 10 minutes or so. I wouldn't recommend taking your kids if they are 6 and under unless you know they do not scare easily.

And don't forget

:spoiler:

The Ghost of Christmas Present's body decomposing right there in front of Scrooge.

There were several small kids (I'd say ages 3 to 5) who were taken out of the theater by their parents when I went to see this. Some of them had their hands over their eyes!

I just didn't get a warm fuzzy feeling from this movie at all.

laprana
11-09-2009, 03:56 PM
And don't forget

:spoiler:

The Ghost of Christmas Present's body decomposing right there in front of Scrooge.

Oh yeah! I forgot about that one...blech. :ack:

DisneyAddict62
11-11-2009, 12:24 AM
I have to agree with everyone on the darkness of the movie. My 9 year old said he just didn't get it when the Ghost of Christmas Present just decomposed like that and he said he didn't like the "scary children" under his robe. I didn't get what the Christmas Past ghost was supposed to be either. My 10 year old fell asleep!

I enjoyed it, but was disappointed at the same time. I enjoyed the 3D graphics, they were awsome, but disappointed about the $45 for the 4 of us to see it!

Although the Alice in Wonderland previews looked pretty cool! Now THAT is a movie to see in 3D!:ccat::hatter:

mickeys_princess_mom
11-15-2009, 09:09 PM
I have to update--taught my unit on "A Christmas Carol" last week. Big hit with the kids. Friday I made handouts for them about the lives of Victorian children, and they worked in groups to read and make murals. One boy had missed the reading part and was hoping to just jump right into the art part... His buddy quickly reeled him in with, "Well, you better get to readin', pal." The next thing I knew I heard them rapping the story! One little guy was doing all the sound effects, and the other was quietly rapping his way through to get his friend to stay with it. I laughed so hard! Charles Dickens would have gotten a kick out of that! Whatever works!:mickey:

Goofster
11-17-2009, 02:21 PM
Well, we ended up taking our kids to see it. Overall, my DD6 enjoyed it (she asked to get it on DVD when it comes out), my DS5 was a "little" scared at times...but never moved from his seat...and my DS3 sat in my lap with his hands over his ears quite a bit, but other than that didn't mind it.

Overall, I liked it, but was disappointed at some of the unnecessary darkness:

1) Jacob's jaw falling off really scared my DS5 because it was loud and a little too drawn out. I turned to him and said, "Do you like the movie?" And he shook his head 'yes', but then looked at me and said 'No' in a sad voice. I asked him if he wanted to leave and he said 'no' and went back to eating his popcorn. After Marley "fixed" his jaw, he did laugh at the way Marley was speaking and was fine after that.

2) The death of the Christmas Present spirit. The skeleton was completely unnecessary for kids to see along with the screaming from the Ignorance and Want characters. That could have been deleted.

3) The Jim Carrey humor was really lacking. There were a few bits and pieces here and there, but overall, I think a bit more Carrey-style humor would have been nice to offset the heavy tone of the film.

The horses with the red eyes didn't really do much of anything for the kids. And the coffin at the end didn't scare them as a similar scene can be found in Mickey's Christmas Carol (which the kids have watched a dozen times).

So, overall, the kids were frightened during a few parts, but liked the movie overall. My DD6 said she would see it again, while my DS5 was a little indifferent about it. My DS3 could not have cared less. :mickey:

Hull-onian
11-22-2009, 08:53 AM
This movie has got to be one of the best. We saw it in an IMAX 3D theater. It was well done. I can see a future Disney ride in it. Of course, it would be a dark ride. The action, sound, graphics, and music was great. It is not for younger children as they would get scared. But for us, it was great. It had all the elements of surprise, suspense,action packed, and with the IMAX theater it was like you were part of the movie. I give this movie::thumbsup::thumbsup:

DVC2004
11-22-2009, 04:52 PM
Well, we saw it yesterday in 3-D (not IMAX though) and we liked it. However, my boys are 10 and 12 (have seen a few versions before too) so they were not scared. It did have some parts that I could see would be scary for smaller or more sensitve kids. I would stick with Mickey's Christmas Carol on video/dvd if you think your kids would get upset or frightened.

For older kids, and adults, I give it a:thumbsup:.

mickeys_princess_mom
11-22-2009, 08:52 PM
Another update: Took our middle school kids to see it last Thursday--big hit with them! I'd introduced them to it and given them some vocabulary. It was so funny to hear them whispering to each other when they recognized words ("That's GRUel!") Hilarious. I'm just happy they're aware of Charles Dickens now, and that they totally 'got' the meaning. It was heartwarming to hear them burst into applause when Scrooge's character had some character revisions....:secret: They clapped a long time at the end, too, and had fun discussing it the next day.

Disneypixie513
12-29-2009, 09:49 PM
I saw it, and I was majorly disappointed. I'm 17, and it scared me in some parts. The story was just too creepy for me. I definately didn't have a Christmas-y feeling when I left. I guess I'm too used to Muppets and Mickey.
I didn't see it in 3D, but I really liked the animation. But that's about the only positive thing I can say about the movie.

NotaGeek
12-30-2009, 05:07 AM
I heard mixed reviews from friends, and since its no longer showing in 3D with Avatar taking over those screens I am going to pass on this film. I really wanted to see it just to see the 3D work, but I figure odds are it will be out again next year.

It's so strange that it seems people expected the story to so much more bright and merry ... Charles Dickens stories are generally pretty dark and ominous with a strong message, and from the extended previews I have seen it seems that the story fits the original telling of A Christmas Carol.

PirateLover
12-31-2009, 11:22 AM
I heard mixed reviews from friends, and since its no longer showing in 3D with Avatar taking over those screens I am going to pass on this film. I really wanted to see it just to see the 3D work, but I figure odds are it will be out again next year.

It's so strange that it seems people expected the story to so much more bright and merry ... Charles Dickens stories are generally pretty dark and ominous with a strong message, and from the extended previews I have seen it seems that the story fits the original telling of A Christmas Carol.

The 3D was definitely great. I personally think you would like it. I'm surprised you never got to see it, I remember you being so excited for it with the train tour and everything.

NotaGeek
12-31-2009, 12:28 PM
The 3D was definitely great. I personally think you would like it. I'm surprised you never got to see it, I remember you being so excited for it with the train tour and everything.
I agree! The movie came out in November, and it was just to early to be Chrismtassy ... and then over the holiday I just never seemed to get to the theater to check it out. i need a movie buddy here in Phoenix!

Kathy Jetson
01-01-2010, 12:02 AM
I took ds6 to see this and even he loved it he walks around saying bah humbug all the time now. He even asked to get it on dvd the same day we saw it. I'm sure we will watch it again next year.