PDA

View Full Version : Would you pay extra to guarantee a certain room?

Granny Jill A
07-06-2009, 03:01 PM
I've read so many complaints about room assignments and trouble folks have getting the room they desire. I've experienced the frustration myself, and wonder if Disney charged an extra fee for a specific room, how many would pay it. What would be your limit on the fee? I would cough up an extra $100 to be given the room of my choice.

SBETigg
07-06-2009, 03:21 PM
I wouldn't pay extra. I always stay deluxe and I've always been happy with my assigned room so I don't see the need to pay even more.

BMan62
07-06-2009, 03:33 PM
Nope! Rooms are for sleeping, showering and changing clothes. If we stayed in Deluxe accommodations then maybe, but we stay in Values, so it just doesn't matter.

disneymom15
07-06-2009, 03:37 PM
I wouldn't pay extra either.

Simba's Mom
07-06-2009, 03:40 PM
I've read so many complaints about room assignments and trouble folks have getting the room they desire. I've experienced the frustration myself, and wonder if Disney charged an extra fee for a specific room, how many would pay it. What would be your limit on the fee? I would cough up an extra $100 to be given the room of my choice.

I think that I'd be willing to pay around $10 per night of my stay sometimes, partially depending on the resort. I've gotta admit that sometimes I like the adventure of trying new rooms, especially at OKW. However, for my next BCV stay I requested a particular room and I'd be willing to pay, just so that I wouldn't get one near the road.

JPL
07-06-2009, 03:40 PM
Absolutely not! I mean I understand the concept and it really isn't a bad one but I can imagine the premiums prices it would end up bringing along with it. I mean imagine the headaches of booking a trip and the logistics of this from any standpoint.

Marker
07-06-2009, 03:48 PM
No.

Don't need to give them any ideas of how to collect more money from us. The current system is as fair as it can be for everyone. A specific room is really not that important to me. In fact, I don't recall that I have ever requested a particular room.

Ian
07-06-2009, 04:03 PM
Hah ... kinda funny how many people emphatically said "NO!" they would not pay extra.

There are quite a few Disney resorts that charge premiums for better room locations. I know that resorts like Pop and POFQ charge premiums for rooms closer to the main pool or the main building.

Not to mention folks who pay extra for premium views. Which I find kinda funny ... I once paid for a "water view" room at WL. When we checked in I found out that they "water" I paid extra to "view" was the swimming pool. :shake:

Seasonscraps
07-06-2009, 04:21 PM
I would happily pay a nominal fee to guarantee a king size bed at a deluxe resort. It annoys me to no end that it's pot luck at the deluxe level but a paid room class at the moderate level.

I wouldn't pay for a particular room number.

mouseketeer mom
07-06-2009, 04:50 PM
Looks like I'm the only one that would pay extra for a particular room. hmmm...:blush:

JPL
07-06-2009, 04:58 PM
Not to mention folks who pay extra for premium views. Which I find kinda funny ... I once paid for a "water view" room at WL. When we checked in I found out that they "water" I paid extra to "view" was the swimming pool. :shake:

Hey better than the time I paid extra at Port Orleans and I swear the water I got to view was a puddle after it rained ;) But if you looked really hard through all the trees and across the path you could just about see the river and it was considered a water view. But seriously the only view I am willing to pay extra for is a savannah view at AKL.

Aurora
07-06-2009, 05:10 PM
Hah ... kinda funny how many people emphatically said "NO!" they would not pay extra.

There are quite a few Disney resorts that charge premiums for better room locations. I know that resorts like Pop and POFQ charge premiums for rooms closer to the main pool or the main building.

Same thing happened to us years ago at the Beach Club -- we were expecting the water view to be the lagoon between Boardwalk and Beach Club and got the pool -- only it wasn't even the main pool -- it was the quiet pool. Sigh.

I can't see paying even more for a specific room since I already do that based on views or perks (like concierge or water view, savanna view, etc.). Once that's done, as long as it's clean, to me a room's a room.

Wayne
07-06-2009, 05:16 PM
Paying for a specific view is one thing. Paying for a specific room would be a nightmare for the Disney resorts. There are too many variables from previous guests staying over to maintenance issues in a specific room that might take it out of service and many other logistical concerns that would make this unworkable. After having a guest jump down my throat because he paid for room 3371 and it was not available, the last thing that I would want to wish them would be to have a magical day.

biodtl
07-06-2009, 05:33 PM
No - if I am in WDW and staying on-site, I am happy - I have never cared which room - or even which area/view, to be honest.

I think something like that - fee for room-picking would end up being more trouble than it is worth.

SBETigg
07-06-2009, 05:39 PM

There are times when I will pay extra for a view. I definitely pay extra for location, among other things, by choosing to stay deluxe. But the OP's question was specific to paying extra for a particular room, not a room type, area or view. Is there any one room in a resort that I have to have and will pay extra for? No. But to paying extra for view, yeah sometimes.

TheRustyScupper
07-06-2009, 05:47 PM
What would be your limit on the fee? I would cough up an extra $100 to be given the room of my choice.

1) First, no way would I pay more.
2) Second, $100 is far short of such a privilege.
3) Probably more like $300-$500-$700.
. . . you need to cover up to 2-3 nights
. . . others might want the room
. . . you would have to give them a different room
. . . so, you need to keep the room open until you get there
. . . this could be 2-3-4 nights (more likely 1-3) 3) Is a particular room that important to anyone (except honeymoon suite)?
5) I doubt any vacation could be ruined due to not having a view/location.

redleg96
07-06-2009, 07:35 PM
I can't say I'd be willing to pay extra for a particular room/view....I'd rather not look out on a parking lot but I think I've had it with the value and moderate resorts and I believe all the deluxe views are 'garden' at worst.

DizneyRox
07-06-2009, 09:06 PM
Rooms are another thing I just don't get the hoopla over. I pick a category (water, parking lot, savannah, etc) and then I'm surprised when I open my door.

I see people going to great lengths to get EXACTLY the room number they want. Then comes the disappointment if it's not met, followed by the letter writing campaign the online petition and calls to oust Iger.

I do three things in the room. I'll let the cards fall where they will.

beksy
07-06-2009, 10:49 PM
I would pay extra for some views or areas (preferred rooms at values/moderates or rooms with a certain view like MK in deluxes or a Savannah view at AKL) but not for a particular room. We usually request certain things for convenience but its not something that would make or break our trip. The exception is our long trip in Dec with Mom. Her health being what it is, she could end up spending a couple of days in the room so we spent the extra for a tower room with a MK view so she can at least enjoy her view. Most of the time we aren't in the room enough to pay a lot extra for a particular view.

Granny Jill A
07-07-2009, 10:01 AM
I really should have said the "location of my choice", not a specific room number. I would pay a one-time reservation charge to get my favorite building guaranteed. I would also enjoy walking up to a special "Pre-Registered" desk at the resort to receive my check-in packet without the endless tap-tap-tapping as they "search" for a room.

For those of us who have been to WDW many, many times, this would save time at the front desk. They wouldn't have to explain where to find the laundry or the bus stops.

jonahbear2006
07-07-2009, 12:41 PM
I wouldn't pay. A lot of times we just camp cause we dont care where we lay our head, at night. We just want to be in the parks during the day. The only time we get a room is when its September and way too hot and hurricane season. To me, hotels are kind of creepy anyways, but I don't care what is outside that window. I do like to request the building closest to the pool and parking lot since we have such small children though.

#1donaldfan
07-07-2009, 12:53 PM
nope, no and NO.....I have been lucky so far the years traveling to Disney, and have, to date, had my requests honored, however if they would stick me elsewhere, what's it really matter ?? As long as I'm in the same resort and not DOWN GRADED, and as said earlier...it's a bed, a shower and a place to store my junk while I'm at a park......just sayn'....:mickey:

TammiMcMan
07-07-2009, 01:23 PM
I really should have said the "location of my choice", not a specific room number. I would pay a one-time reservation charge to get my favorite building guaranteed.You can get specifc rooms at some resorts, by booking a particular suite or booking the Tower Club in the Contemporary. Logistically speaking, it would be a nightmare and if you read the fine print, nothing is guaranteed at Disney (not even the resort you're booked into). Having been bumped out of a booked level due to renovations at our favorite resort years ago, I know to keep an open mind and be flexible.

I would also enjoy walking up to a special "Pre-Registered" desk at the resort to receive my check-in packet without the endless tap-tap-tapping as they "search" for a room.

They wouldn't have to explain where to find the laundry or the bus stops.Just utilize online check-in for your next vacation. There's a special line bypassing regular registration and your welcome packet will already be printed and waiting for you to pick up.

jakeybake
07-07-2009, 06:22 PM
For me it would depend on the situation. I am always happy with whatever room I get depending on what level of room I have booked (water view, standard, woods etc.).

That being said, a few years ago I booked a surprise trip for the family at the GF and I asked the CM when booking if they could put down a request for a certain room, which just so happened to be the room my DRHW and I spent our honeymoon in way back in 1991.

Luckliy that room was available and it was a wonderful surprise for my DRHW but if given the option to pay extra when booking I would of gladly paid a price to ensure that my DRHW received a wonerful surprise.

Jay

VolMickey
07-07-2009, 06:23 PM
Once we picked our category and paid the premium for that category -- no.

SBETigg
07-07-2009, 06:23 PM
Aw, Jay, that's sweet.

jakeybake
07-07-2009, 06:31 PM
Aw, Jay, that's sweet.

Thanks! My DRHW is always busting on me that I'm the most sentimental person in the world and I guess she's right.

I actually took time off of my last free day during my work sponsored Disney Institute Training at the Yacht Club in December and bused over to the CB and took a picture with my BlackBerry of the door plate (Aruba 5444) of the room we stayed in during the first week of our honeymoon (first week at CB, second week at GF) and e-mailed it to her on the spot.

I pictured security tackling me and never believing for a second that I was just there to take a picture for my DRHW.

Just a sentimental fool I guess!!

Jay

TheVBs
07-08-2009, 08:41 AM
For a specific room number, nope. Couldn't care less. For a "location of our choice"? Don't we already do that if we want a preferred location?

Granny Jill A
07-08-2009, 01:47 PM
Just utilize online check-in for your next vacation. There's a special line bypassing regular registration and your welcome packet will already be printed and waiting for you to pick up.

Do you know how that system is working?

I've NEVER gotten my room request fulfilled in 18 trips. I even followed the guidelines posted here on Intercot, but no luck. I step up to the counter and find I've been given a room as far from my requested location as possible. Then we start with the tap-tap-tapping and searching and waiting. (sigh)

TammiMcMan
07-08-2009, 02:08 PM
Do you know how that system is working?It sounds like the only problem currently, is that people can't always log in to the system. For what it's designed to do at check-in though, it appears to be working fine. Folks are able to bypass the longer lines at regular registration and simply grab their packets and go. A much speedier process for those that don't need a rundown on everything inside the packet.

BluewaterBrad
07-08-2009, 03:34 PM
No. :mickey:

Goes4FastPass
07-08-2009, 04:20 PM
Kindof.

I find paying, what is it, like $10 a night more for preferred location at value resorts to be money well spent.