PDA

View Full Version : Random Question for Facebook Users

Davyjones
07-06-2009, 02:50 PM
Hi Gang,

Just a question for all the Facebook people out there. Would it be weird to ask a professional athlete to be your friend on Facebook? Do they get on there expecting friend requests from fans? Are they going to think that I'm some kind of stalker or something? (YIKES! :eek:)

Okay, I guess that that's more than 1 question. Thanks for any thoughts Mouseketeers! :thumbsup:

DisneyOtaku
07-06-2009, 02:56 PM
They're probably used to it. If theirs is on a public setting, they most probably expect it. If not, there's no harm in trying; the worst they can do is deny your request.

Alot of celebs have fan-dedicated pages too, so you might want to check them out as well, since they are great for networking.

SBETigg
07-06-2009, 03:09 PM
Not weird. It's networking. It might even be welcome. I get requests from my readers to be Facebook friends on occasion, and I love that. If the athlete has a fan site, you can join that, too. Connecting on Facebook makes it easier to get to know people, and to get the word out when something new comes up.

Davyjones
07-06-2009, 03:14 PM
What if it's not a fan page/group of theirs, but their actual personal page? :confused:

Strmchsr
07-06-2009, 03:30 PM
I'm sure they have a system in place. You wouldn't be the only fan out there requesting to be their "friend." Either their site will be a site open to everyone or they'll ignore/decline your request as it is just for their personal friends. No harm in sending a request.

paragon
07-06-2009, 03:32 PM
I think its no different than connecting to anyone else, say someone you lost touch with over the years. I recently found some childhood friends, and I'm glad I did, and I also have George "the Animal" Steele on my friend list!

kakn7294
07-06-2009, 03:44 PM
I have a "friend" on Facebook who is the lead singer of The Clarks, a Pittsburgh-based rock group. I'm positive he doesn't know who I am. I don't think it's weird at all! The worst that can happen is that you get turned down.

MNNHFLTX
07-06-2009, 04:08 PM
There are entertainers and celebrities out there who allow fans to become their "friends" on their personal homepage, so I'm guessing the same might be true of some athletes. In fact, if they have a gazillion friends on Facebook, you can probably assume that's the case. ;)

merlinmagic4
07-06-2009, 04:17 PM
I am "friends" with Jacoby Ellsbury from the Boston Red Sox :thumbsup: I only did it after my son did. I wanted to see if it was for real. I'm still not sure :blush: but I figured if it wasn't, the "real" Jacoby would have it pulled!

meldan98
07-06-2009, 05:18 PM
I manage website content for a number of professional athletes and a number of the professional athletes set up fan pages so they do not have to go in and accept people as friends. It makes it easier for them. Very few have regular facebook pages that they make public.

Magic Smiles
07-06-2009, 10:57 PM
My DS has a friend who is trying to make it as a singer. He is really good! Who knows, now that he is old enough we might just see him on Canadian Idol. He has a few famous singers as friends and they actually post on his facebook also. It is kind of weird to see.